Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cojawfee posted:

Updating the firmware took me 10-15 minutes (I don't know where firmware updates are, support just gave me a mediafire link). Other than that, getting everything out of the boxes (so many boxes) can take a while and initial setup takes a few minutes. Once you have everything set up though, you are good. If what you have is going to be temporary, no problemo. The wheel has quick release clamps that make taking it off something and putting it back on simple as pie once you have it set right. So now my wheel set up takes about two minutes.

Thanks Cojawfee! I was wondering about the boxes because the UPS tracker says there are 3 in the set coming my way. When you say the wheel has clamps, do you mean it can clamp onto a surface by itself? I thought that's what the optional table clamp was for?

I think I'm going to do the same as you and see what feels right in the everyday car I drive. I was planning on doing a few circuits with my E/F car at first anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Depending on what all you got, I had a box for the wheel, a box for the pedals, a box for the shifters and another box for the metal plate for the cheapo pedals. It has a detachable plastic clamp that can attach to a surface that doesn't have a lip and is less than a couple inches thick. I have it attached to a keyboard tray at the moment. The table clamp you can buy is so you can mount it more securely I guess, it also has the option of angling the wheel as the standard one is stuck at one angle.

Keep in mind that it's not going to feel the same as driving a real car. You get more inputs from a real car that you don't get from the game. You can't really tell how hard you are turning in game because you can't feel how much you are sliding out of your seat. And you can't really tell how hard you are braking either. But the wheel is really good about feedback regarding the slip angle of the front wheels. While you're turning you can feel the exact moment where you lose grip on the front wheels and the wheel just goes limp in your hands. It all takes some getting used to, but it is definitely a lot more fun than using a controller. Whether it ends up being worth all the money is up to you though.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I wish I had a spare room where I could set up a wheel and chair, but I just can't justify buying a decent wheel and using it on my couch.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Ended up with a used HD PVR to record composite video via USB. Is there a free or reasonably priced software to work on mp4 videos (cutting etc.)?

Just two hotlap videos from testing this thing out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efQQ_Nau-Zc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94IRhZFt0qI

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Windows Live Movie Maker is pretty basic, but it should do what you want.

Yalc
Mar 5, 2003

Gayin it up itt

Just picked up forza and the season pass last night! what is the open club for us goons?

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Yalc posted:

Just picked up forza and the season pass last night! what is the open club for us goons?

Pretty sure it's AUGR if you live in North America, SAEG if you're in or around Europe, or AFGS if you are Australian.

Big Sal Graziano
May 10, 2011

by Ozmaugh

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Well, just be willing to brake before a person in front of you does and you're good in my book.

Also, fast goon racers: I race very safely, i brake much earlier than needed and try not to use the tires constantly at their limit because i know that way lies braking-understeer into a car. Often this allows me to run away from a race with pubbies vettel-style (even when they dont crash or go off-road)IMO, because they are trying to get the car and tires to do things it just plain cannot do.

However as the race goes on i almost always get slower and slower and the people behind me get faster and faster. I still dont wreck like an idiot, but what might the reason be that i start out fast on the first lap and slow down as the race goes on?

my xbl name is pookykinsjohnson.. I am terrible at racing but I never mean anyone any harm and I am a fun guy if y'all want to race with me ever!

Bo Bo Ska Diddle
Dec 3, 2011
Well it turns out that the setup is going to come with me on vacation, so I shall be there on Wednesday now! Now I just need to find a Lemons car...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cojawfee posted:

Wheelchat

Yeah, I bought the same stuff except for the metal plate. I thought the load cell in the brake allowed you to feel the correct braking pressure as long as its properly adjusted? I only got the elite and not the clubsport, so I won't get ABS vibration, but I thought the huge appeal of getting either setup was the response.

In any case, I wouldn't really know what a real car would feel like under those speeds since at most I drive circuits on karts. This might get me to do a racing class and start going on track days when my friend lets me use his 911, though. :ohdear:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Just had the best experience last night.

I was racing in E Class Circuit online on Laguna Seca battling for 4th or something. I had a totally sweet '84 Supra and the guy ahead of me had an Elan. He fucks up the turn before the Rahal Straight, and I pass cleanly on the left with what would have been room to spare before the corkscrew. He decides this will not loving happen and tries to PIT me. However since he's driving a Lotus, all he really manages to do is slightly screw up my line through the corkscrew while slowing himself down much more than if he had just let me go.

In the lobby he then spends the entire minute talking about how dirty I drive (not purposefully, I'm still learning how to fully cope with all the assists off and sometimes I can be clumsy and I never hit this guy anyway), talking poo poo about my car, and then he ragequits.

This was essentially my first time racing with randoms, do games commonly have shitheels like this in them? There was 1 cool dude, but most people seemed to just be playing bumper cars and way too aggressively. Guys like this are all over the place in MW3 which I also play a lot, but I was hoping Forza would be more chill online than that.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It'll feel *like* driving a real car in regards to the actions you will take with your limbs, but minus G-forces in your seat. It's still a toy wheel though, albeit a pretty sophisticated one. The difference in how each car layout feels to drive is fantastic with a wheel/pedal setup.

Audio cues will be what you use to determine loss of grip, and the force feedback in the wheel will assist your 'feel' as you drive. The load cell in the braking pedal will allow you to better modulate a 'realistic' braking effect, most sim wheel setups have not enough resistance in the brake so it feels much less like the brake pedal in a real car - more like a simple switch. The Elites will be better than most pedal sets.

You should expect to need 2 hours at a minimum after setting it up to start feeling that you know what you're doing. A lot of people get discouraged in that first couple hours because it feels new and alien and requires a lot more activity from 3 or 4 limbs rather than a couple thumbs - but most people didn't become masters with a standard controller in their first 2 hours with that, either.

Do yourself a favor and set up a nicely balanced C or D class car to get used to it - slower cars will allow you to better get a feel for how the game's physics react to your new input device, and once you're feeling confident you can increase the scale and be ready to react faster as needed with higher HP cars.

For firmware updates, keep an eye on https://www.911wheel.de - that's Fanatec's CEO's blog and usually you can keep up with the news there.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Learn with a 94 miata. As with real life, miata is always the answer.

Bo Bo Ska Diddle
Dec 3, 2011

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Learn with a 94 miata. As with real life, miata is always the answer.

This. When I got my poo poo-rear end setup, I immediately bought a Miata in the game. I learned so much from that car, and it is so fun to drive. I still suck, but thats because I'm a terrible driver, not the car.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Promoted Pawn posted:

Just had the best experience last night.

I was racing in E Class Circuit online on Laguna Seca battling for 4th or something. I had a totally sweet '84 Supra and the guy ahead of me had an Elan. He fucks up the turn before the Rahal Straight, and I pass cleanly on the left with what would have been room to spare before the corkscrew. He decides this will not loving happen and tries to PIT me. However since he's driving a Lotus, all he really manages to do is slightly screw up my line through the corkscrew while slowing himself down much more than if he had just let me go.

In the lobby he then spends the entire minute talking about how dirty I drive (not purposefully, I'm still learning how to fully cope with all the assists off and sometimes I can be clumsy and I never hit this guy anyway), talking poo poo about my car, and then he ragequits.

This was essentially my first time racing with randoms, do games commonly have shitheels like this in them? There was 1 cool dude, but most people seemed to just be playing bumper cars and way too aggressively. Guys like this are all over the place in MW3 which I also play a lot, but I was hoping Forza would be more chill online than that.

It's common to all games I'm afraid. Though ,from my experience, these are also the people who when they get banned complain on the xbox forums that they were banned because they were "too good". If you really want them to ragequit and shutup, next race take something big and heavy like a Dodge Ram or a Ford TSV Raptor and pit them into walls. It'll get you some hate mail but, you'll never see them again.

E: Is this wheel a good investment?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-000045-G27-Racing-Wheel/dp/B001NT9TK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326567758&sr=8-1

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Ether Frenzy posted:

It'll feel *like* driving a real car in regards to the actions you will take with your limbs, but minus G-forces in your seat. It's still a toy wheel though, albeit a pretty sophisticated one. The difference in how each car layout feels to drive is fantastic with a wheel/pedal setup.

Audio cues will be what you use to determine loss of grip, and the force feedback in the wheel will assist your 'feel' as you drive. The load cell in the braking pedal will allow you to better modulate a 'realistic' braking effect, most sim wheel setups have not enough resistance in the brake so it feels much less like the brake pedal in a real car - more like a simple switch. The Elites will be better than most pedal sets.

You should expect to need 2 hours at a minimum after setting it up to start feeling that you know what you're doing. A lot of people get discouraged in that first couple hours because it feels new and alien and requires a lot more activity from 3 or 4 limbs rather than a couple thumbs - but most people didn't become masters with a standard controller in their first 2 hours with that, either.

Do yourself a favor and set up a nicely balanced C or D class car to get used to it - slower cars will allow you to better get a feel for how the game's physics react to your new input device, and once you're feeling confident you can increase the scale and be ready to react faster as needed with higher HP cars.

For firmware updates, keep an eye on https://www.911wheel.de - that's Fanatec's CEO's blog and usually you can keep up with the news there.

I'd like to add: Make sure you have a comfortable seating position. Don't do some stupid hunched-over-the-coffee-table setup.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No, Logitech wheels aren't supported on the 360. Your only real option is Fanatec.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Got my Fanatec elite shifters in last night. Upon opening the box I slice my finger open on a rather sharp edge of cardboard. The shifter has my blood on it now. It is mine. And no one elses...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

Got my Fanatec elite shifters in last night. Upon opening the box I slice my finger open on a rather sharp edge of cardboard. The shifter has my blood on it now. It is mine. And no one elses...

Yeah there's no way I would want that shifter from you. No telling what sort of diseases you got. :(

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

You're going to get a German blood infection, dude. poo poo sucks.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Submitting my goonmons car for AUGR approval.

'Dat body roll...

80s box volvo with evo spoiler removed for extra boring. Stripped interior, cage, cheapest intake and exhaust, cheapest brakes and front sway bar. Sits in the very low c class area. If it's far below everyone else in PI I'll throw stiffer shocks on it and crank up the boostu. but I think it's every bit the budget motorsports car. :)

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 14, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Day Man posted:

You're going to get a German blood infection, dude. poo poo sucks.

Symptoms include an irresistible urge to over-engineer every single car you touch.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Took a GIF from a race at Suzuka between me and some pubbies. The best part is the guy with the ambulance livery comes out. Oh for some reason this is NWS so don't click if you're at work, church, school, near a child, etc:

http://i.imgur.com/WC8fv.gif

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fox of Stone posted:

Yeah, I bought the same stuff except for the metal plate. I thought the load cell in the brake allowed you to feel the correct braking pressure as long as its properly adjusted? I only got the elite and not the clubsport, so I won't get ABS vibration, but I thought the huge appeal of getting either setup was the response.

In any case, I wouldn't really know what a real car would feel like under those speeds since at most I drive circuits on karts. This might get me to do a racing class and start going on track days when my friend lets me use his 911, though. :ohdear:

I bought the 30 dollar pedals because the CSR pedals weren't out yet. And do they have a load cell for the brakes? I thought it was just the clubsports and the CSR elites or whatever. Looking on the website, it doesn't mention anything about loadcells for the CSR pedals. I don't understand what makes them 80 dollars? I'd pay maybe 50 for what features are mentioned there.

Ugh, I just saw the CSR value pack that comes with the CSR pedals. I have to pay full price and lose 20 dollars because I preordered. Actually I lose 50 dollars because I had to order the 30 dollar pedals.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

Took a GIF from a race at Suzuka between me and some pubbies. The best part is the guy with the ambulance livery comes out. Oh for some reason this is NWS so don't click if you're at work, church, school, near a child, etc:

http://i.imgur.com/WC8fv.gif

What race track is that on? And yeah, probably just don't ever click that under any circumstances. :lol:

[edit]
Doh, you already said. It still didn't look familiar to me, and i've seen enough real life races on Suzuka.

With the 24 Hours of Daytona coming up in 2 weeks, I wish we had that track, so we do our own race in Forza, just not a 24 hour race.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Just got this game. So far I'm in the third season with my Gen 1 Miata.

I'll probably be horrid at this online. I also went and added my info to the Forzagoons spreadsheet.

What does one need to do to get into one of the groups? Just apply?

Gamertag is BiII the LabGuy.

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011
My GoonMans car is a 1994 Honda Civic, I stripped out all the lame interior stuff, put some big rear end rims and SWEET vinyls on it and lowered that bad boy! Kinda blew the budget on rims and vinyls so I left the rest as is. PI D298, 128hp, 102 lbs of torque, 0-60 in almost 8 seconds.

Unrelated: Someone jacked my windows live ID and bought RIFT and an expansion for it. Super lame and now I have to get a new CC (that I'm not giving to Microsoft). I think I've got everything resolved now though. What gets me is I use a random sting of letters and number for it. I know the recent breaks are believed to be brute force, but still ...

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
This car is horrible.

Stick on vents, muffler that does nothing, unpainted front bumper. This is a car with class; at D349 it doesn't come with speed.

For stupid realism, I'm racing in manual without a clutch- the Chrysler autoshift still works, but just barely. Pray for PT indeed.

e: ^^Aaron, I think stock rims are one of the requirements.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 15, 2012

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011

GOD IS BED posted:

You're right, I fixed it. Thanks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What the gently caress is pray4pt? I go on twitter to search it and I see a dead mouse on top of a solo cup pyramid?

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

Cojawfee posted:

The hard drive on your xbox might be screwing up. Have you tried putting your save in cloud storage?

As expected cloud storage didn't work either :(

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

What the gently caress is pray4pt? I go on twitter to search it and I see a dead mouse on top of a solo cup pyramid?

Hahaha I haven't seen that. I mostly see it refer to @PTCruiserUSA and her tweets about vh1 and really ugly PT Cruisers.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks EF. I'll probably dedicate an afternoon to learning how to master the basics of that beastly thing. I'll probably spend another afternoon with one of my drifting friends so he can teach me the basics there too.

Anyhow, thanks for all the help guys. Whoever suggested the skip barber racing manual in the OP is great too.

Cojawfee posted:

I bought the 30 dollar pedals because the CSR pedals weren't out yet.

Oh no I got the CSR elites. Was thinking of getting the value pack before but screw it I'm just going to get the nicer one. But, ouch man. :(

Lastly, when you got the firmware update for the regular CSR wheel, was it v706? That's all I found from looking through the 911 wheel club site.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 15, 2012

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

GOD IS BED posted:

Excuse my ignorance here, but what are the requirements for GoonMons? Like, if I want to participate in the race on Wednesday, what do I need to know about how to mutilate my car?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Jabs posted:

Re: GoonMons...

The loaded '71 Cutlass Supreme 'Vert my mom bought when I was 8 cost $3200 brand new. So, yeah, you can *build* anything you want. $2000 Bone Stock SuperBird? Go for it.

But remember - you'll still have to pass the Consensus Test.

Since we don't have "tech inspection", it really comes down to looking at your final PI, and whether or not you can convince your peers in the racegroup that your car was
A) *COMMONLY* available at third rate car dealers at that price, AND
B) lovely enough relative to their lovely cars for them to not vote your car off to the crusher...

Protip: If you're going to try to run a 'cheater', you might want to have a somewhat less ambitious backup car ready. Just sayin'.

Also, there are some "Goony and Monzy" rules that remain unstated, because publishing them ahead of time would possibly ruin the spirit of the competition.

Think of it this way - the goal of GoonMons is not necessarily to be the first across the line, but you'll find a lot of success if you try to find a way to be the guy who contributed the most to everyone having a hilarious good time (which is TOTALLY in the spirit of the competition).

This is the rules for Goon Mans.
After much soul searching, my racing team decided we had to have more power, so they yanked off the turbo from a Ram in the parking lot. The PT is now up to C358.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Had a bit of a close shave with the wall at Bernie's Alps earlier tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkdIinuyYfA&hd=1

EDIT: turns out that you can embed videos if you enable it in account options :clint:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GhostDog posted:

Ended up with a used HD PVR to record composite video via USB. Is there a free or reasonably priced software to work on mp4 videos (cutting etc.)?

Just two hotlap videos from testing this thing out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efQQ_Nau-Zc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94IRhZFt0qI

The word "poise" comes to mind. Nice driving.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://forzamotorsport.net/Handlers/GetPhoto.ashx?id=6396132&full=true
Threw together this basic design on an SLS AMG, sort of inspired by car liveries I saw at the Dubai 24hr race this weekend. Not sure if I should raise the brightness of the gold swoosh/stripe or leave it where it is. Also, this car is a freaking handful at R3 on my controller. I may detune it to S700 and see if it holds together better.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
After trying and trying to beat a dude in rivals mode, I managed to take him out in a Ford Pinto... after popping onto two wheels. Felt like a baller.

http://youtu.be/1Q3nPsaGB88

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Bentai posted:

http://forzamotorsport.net/Handlers/GetPhoto.ashx?id=6396132&full=true
Threw together this basic design on an SLS AMG, sort of inspired by car liveries I saw at the Dubai 24hr race this weekend. Not sure if I should raise the brightness of the gold swoosh/stripe or leave it where it is. Also, this car is a freaking handful at R3 on my controller. I may detune it to S700 and see if it holds together better.

I find gold is a colour that tends to look a bit poo poo as a gloss, try painting the car gold metallic and then just masking off everything you don't want. It does indeed look a bit dark as well. You can get a nice metallic/gloss contrast that looks pretty cool if you do this, have a look at this Camaro I painted for T1g4h

• Locked thread