Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I hit 11 to 15 mbps in gainesville Florida on my old lady's LG revolution with decent signal. Makes me wish I had a 4g phone but my Original Droid inc has been too good to me to toss before she malfunctions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Can you still bypass the 6m waiting period on using a prepaid phone on a postpaid account by putting the esn in online and then doing *228 from the phone?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Psionic Sasquatch posted:

I hit 11 to 15 mbps in gainesville Florida on my old lady's LG revolution with decent signal. Makes me wish I had a 4g phone but my Original Droid inc has been too good to me to toss before she malfunctions

My galaxy nexus has been pulling down 30 - 37mbps at my house outside of Pittsburgh. It's seriously starting to rival my FIOS speeds

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

bull3964 posted:

My galaxy nexus has been pulling down 30 - 37mbps at my house outside of Pittsburgh. It's seriously starting to rival my FIOS speeds

I see anywhere from 15-21mbps in the Harrisburg\ Mechanicsburg area. That's actually faster than Comcast cable.

If I could get a strong 4G signal at home I'd drop Comcast like hot rock.

gently caress you, Verizon. For not rolling FIOS out to the boonies before you abandoned it. Now go and redeem yourself by getting me a 4G tower in York. I get a depressingly weak 3G signal at work. Daddy needs his Netflix at lunch break.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Don Lapre posted:

Can you still bypass the 6m waiting period on using a prepaid phone on a postpaid account by putting the esn in online and then doing *228 from the phone?

nope. they fixed that loophole

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Mighty Horse posted:

nope. they fixed that loophole

One of the reasons I switched from a CDMA carrier. such anti-consumer bullshit like that

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Will Verizon let me add a data plan to my account without buying a smart phone? I get my Gnex in a week, but I'm hoping to still take advantage of the double data.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The only thing I could think of is if you had a 3g/4g USB cell modem, or a mifi, then they count as a line with only a data plan. I think those are different plans than the one they use for phones though, I don't think they would really transfer over.

I know back when people were trying to lock in unlimited data, the popular thing was to ebay up a palm pixi for dirt cheap so you can get the data plan in place. That's still probably the easiest thing to do.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

The only thing I could think of is if you had a 3g/4g USB cell modem, or a mifi, then they count as a line with only a data plan. I think those are different plans than the one they use for phones though, I don't think they would really transfer over.

I know back when people were trying to lock in unlimited data, the popular thing was to ebay up a palm pixi for dirt cheap so you can get the data plan in place. That's still probably the easiest thing to do.

Wait, the grandfathered Palm Pixi trick still works, hotspot and all?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

hotsauce posted:

Wait, the grandfathered Palm Pixi trick still works, hotspot and all?

I think he means its a cheap smartphone that they can throw double data on til his gnex gets in.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

I think he means its a cheap smartphone that they can throw double data on til his gnex gets in.

Ah, thanks. Didn't think it was that easy...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

EbolaIvory posted:

Not even gets in, just till my upgrade is due. I get the phone next Sunday (unless I can sweet talk the third party store, which is a distinct possibility), but the upgrade ends tomorrow.

We're going to head down tomorrow and ask, just figured I'd come here first. Worst that happens, it doesn't work. Oh well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just remember that it has to be a 4G phone in order for you to get double data.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just remember that it has to be a 4G phone in order for you to get double data.

Yeah I'm getting a Galaxy Nexus with my upgrade, which is why I was hoping for the plan thinger.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Dickeye posted:

Yeah I'm getting a Galaxy Nexus with my upgrade, which is why I was hoping for the plan thinger.

No his point was you'd have to have a 4G phone as a place holder in order to still get the double data promotion locked in. If you put a non 4G phone on there that you find for :10bux: that you find on craigslist, you'll only get the 2GB/$30 not the 4GB/$30 feature code.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

He could get Thunderbolt or Charge for about $150 secondhand and then flip it for same as soon as he's got his GNex.

Charge is going to be sick if they ever end up getting the RIL worked out for CM9.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kalibar posted:

He could get Thunderbolt or Charge for about $150 secondhand and then flip it for same as soon as he's got his GNex.

Charge is going to be sick if they ever end up getting the RIL worked out for CM9.

Not enough time to do that, what with today being the end of the promotion.

About to go down to the local third party and try to wheedle something out of them. Worse comes to worst, it doesn't work. Oh well.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Dickeye posted:

Not enough time to do that, what with today being the end of the [4GB double data] promotion.
If you can't get them to move up your upgrade date a week or two, you could buy a new LTE phone like that cheap Pantech to lock in double data, and return it when you use your upgrade to get the Nexus. If you use a credit card, you won't be out more than the $35 restocking fee when your next statement arrives.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anybody in Portland, OR having data connectivity issues? I've been without any data on my GNex since last evening.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

goku chewbacca posted:

If you can't get them to move up your upgrade date a week or two, you could buy a new LTE phone like that cheap Pantech to lock in double data, and return it when you use your upgrade to get the Nexus. If you use a credit card, you won't be out more than the $35 restocking fee when your next statement arrives.

Ended up being a nonissue. We had a yearly upgrade we forgot about, and we just used that.

Hello Galaxy Nexus. You're so pretty

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

highme posted:

Anybody in Portland, OR having data connectivity issues? I've been without any data on my GNex since last evening.

Mine's working fine.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So I'm coming up on my upgrade (I bought the Thunderbolt on a 1yr contract), and I'm debating as to whether the Galaxy Nexus is worth the upgrade. My main concern is that the Nexus is just a marginal upgrade from the Thunderbolt. Is the battery life/performance *that* much better than the Thunderbolt? ICS owns, but CM9 will come soon enough, and I can live without the HD screen.

Has anyone made this switch and can shed some light on this?

edit: the alternative is to give the upgrade to my sister to replace her Droid Pro and take her November upgrade.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

kstatix posted:

Mine's working fine.

I figured it out. At somepoint last night mobile data was switched off.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

THF13 posted:

I never had a problem with heat on my RAZR or even heard that it was ever a problem. Do you mean overheat to a point where performance started to degrade or just it feeling hot in your hand, because I think that can happen with most smartphones these days.

No. I mean some reviews around last November when it came out pointed out overheating as a problem to the point of lagginess and slowdown.

It doesn't seem to be a problem anymore though. That's good to know.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So I'm coming up on my upgrade (I bought the Thunderbolt on a 1yr contract), and I'm debating as to whether the Galaxy Nexus is worth the upgrade. My main concern is that the Nexus is just a marginal upgrade from the Thunderbolt. Is the battery life/performance *that* much better than the Thunderbolt? ICS owns, but CM9 will come soon enough, and I can live without the HD screen.

edit: the alternative is to give the upgrade to my sister to replace her Droid Pro and take her November upgrade.

I had a Thunderbolt as my first Verizon phone, got it the day it came out and thought it was the poo poo. Turned it out was actually just poo poo. So I lusted after a Bionic and got lucky and they warranty replaced my thunderbolt with a bionic. The Bionic is way better than the Thunderbolt. I then got a Galaxy Nexus from my girlfriend as a gift for christmas. I can say, having used all three devices for an extended period of time:

The Galaxy Nexus is leaps and bounds better than the Thunderbolt. Every single aspect about it is better than the Thunderbolt, with the exception of that stupid kickstand. It lasts two to three times longer in the battery department. The screen is gorgeous. I didn't think 720p would be that amazing, but the 720p amoled screen is fantastic. The performance is better and snappier than any custom ROM or hyperclocked bullshit you can find on T-bolt dev sites. The reception is better than the Thunderbolt, the settings are easy to maneuver, the whole thing is prettier and more functional than Sense, and it has NFC and Google Wallet if you ever think you'll like that. The Galaxy Nexus is filet mignon, and the Thunderbolt is ground beef.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The more I think about Droid 4's unremovable battery/locked bootloader the more hesitant I am to get one right away. I've been using an iPhone 4, and the other day I just powered on my Droid 2, the screen itself seemed a decade old in comparison. I miss having a keyboard and playing with Android, but none of the phones I've researched are quite right. Give some more love to qwerty phones, Verizon :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm really hoping 4.0.3 gets pushed out soon with the updated radios.

I've caught my Galaxy Nexus dropping VOICE and it was only resolvable with a reboot 3 times. The first time, it actually resulted in a missed call going directly into voice mail.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

quote:

The reception is better than the Thunderbolt

Speaking of, I've noticed between 1-3 more bars in my house on the iPhone 4S than I did with the Incredible.

Now this could be because the 4S gets great reception (I've heard similar stories about a boost in reception), but I think HTC uses garbage, bargain bin antennas.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Nut Bunnies posted:

Speaking of, I've noticed between 1-3 more bars in my house on the iPhone 4S than I did with the Incredible.

Now this could be because the 4S gets great reception (I've heard similar stories about a boost in reception), but I think HTC uses garbage, bargain bin antennas.

If only bars were a useful (read: standardized) form of measurement. But alas they are not. Glad you are having a better experience with the new phone though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chupacabraTERROR posted:

A month in with the Nexus, not a day has yet gone by where I think "Gee I wish I just stuck with the Thunderbolt."

The Nexus does way better on the stock battery than the TB does with the stock battery. I could never get through a day on the TB but this has not been a problem for me on the Nexus. I also hated how the TB's extended battery was absolute overkill for me and turned the phone into a boat anchor.

Performance wise, things are just way, way smoother. As an example, the Google Music app on the TB had caused lots of UI lag for me. I get none of this lag on the Nexus.

Reception is better as well, I get none of the random data drops I had on the Thunderbolt. And before anyone asks, I tried CM7 but it was worse reception-wise. I even held my nose and tried one or two of the BAMF TOYOTA SUPRA HYPERCLOCK roms with no luck. I should not have to follow XDA and flash a bunch of strange radio images just to find one that works.

There is only one thing that I miss about the Thunderbolt, and that is the camera. It just was a fair bit better than the one on the Nexus. Pictures seemed a lot clearer and colors were more correct. The camera on the Nexus is the singular most disappointing thing about it.

Also, I hate Sense. I went from a Nexus One to the Thunderbolt thinking "Android is Android," and I didn't realize how wrong I was. This whole experience has cemented my opinion that I absolutely love Android as it exists on a Nexus device, and I can't stomach it otherwise. If there is no Nexus available on Verizon when I am up for an upgrade next, then I'll just get an iPhone.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

bull3964 posted:

BTW, Verizon let out that the Droid 4 and LG Spectrum will be getting global roaming support by June.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=9660

This confirms something I thought for awhile, Verizon needs to get things sorted on the back end properly before they can support a global LTE device.

I'm debating getting a Droid 4 when it comes out, and the global roaming bit is pretty important to me.

It's nifty that it has a GSM radio in it in addition to the LTE radio, but after browsing around a bit, I can't find anything noting that the phone actually has a SIM card slot for foreign third party carriers.

Any word on if this thing is going to be equipped with a SIM card slot, or is it just hardwired into the handset itself. The non-removable battery door kind of makes me think it's the latter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's LTE, so it has a SIM slot. I don't know if it can work for both LTE and GSM, though.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Endless Mike posted:

It's LTE, so it has a SIM slot. I don't know if it can work for both LTE and GSM, though.

Shows how much I know about LTE.

Thanks for the tip; I'm just going to have to keep tabs on this thing as we learn more about it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jake Gittes posted:

I'm debating getting a Droid 4 when it comes out, and the global roaming bit is pretty important to me.

It's nifty that it has a GSM radio in it in addition to the LTE radio, but after browsing around a bit, I can't find anything noting that the phone actually has a SIM card slot for foreign third party carriers.

Any word on if this thing is going to be equipped with a SIM card slot, or is it just hardwired into the handset itself. The non-removable battery door kind of makes me think it's the latter.

Droid razr has a slim card slot in the side like the iphone

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 17, 2012

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Endless Mike posted:

It can. An LTE SIM actually carries both the GSM & CDMA identities on it.

You can't, however pop in any random GSM only sim into it and expect it to work, they are a bit different. But you should be able to put a LTE Sim from another carrier in it.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Mighty Horse posted:

You can't, however pop in any random GSM only sim into it and expect it to work, they are a bit different. But you should be able to put a LTE Sim from another carrier in it.

As a cheapskate international traveller who's also a goony goon goon who needs his mobile data, this is what I'm ultimately curious about.

I'm wondering if this "network issue" that they're resolving might address this? I don't think many foreign pre-paid mobile carriers offer LTE SIMs. (Especially in Europe) However I haven't done too much exploring on that one.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Don't count on LTE interoperability any time soon. Verizon/AT&T even said that their 4G LTE phones won't work with each other's frequencies even though they're both on ~700 Mhz.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Word of caution to those who were using the Google Wallet flashable apk floating around.

If you do a wipe, or flash the phone to a different ROM, for the love of god do not do so before using the Reset option within Wallet, and then uninstalling the APK, which should force Wallet to put the NFC secure element back to where it belongs.

If you do not do this, you risk forcing the secure element into lockdown mode. Wallet will hang for a moment on startup and then will tell you "NFC Secure Element Not Responding, contact Google Wallet Support." There seems to be no way at present, from what I could tell from googling for an hour, to put the secure element back the way it was.

I wiped, flashed to a 4.0.3 AOSP ROM, then tried running Wallet. Boom, hosed. Apparently there's a 130 page thread on XDA full of people who did the same thing, and it seems related to not forcing Wallet to de-provision the secure element before wiping.

I don't know if an official Google Wallet release, Isis, or anything else that would depend on the NFC secure element would include something to restore it to working order, or if it's permanently hosed. In the meantime, it seems like I can kiss this functionality goodbye. NFC tag reading works, but Wallet is smoked now.

I am fully aware that this is what you get for using software not intended for your device, but don't you make the mistake I did.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 18, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm fully in favor of people posting info like this. It's always good information.

People like to tinker with poo poo. So having a warning that says "You're not supposed to do this, but if you do it this way it could work the way you want it to. Be sure to do it all exactly this way or it could seriously gently caress your poo poo up" is something I like to see when people try something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Couldn't you just swap in a new battery to get a new NFC chip? Or is this security layer that locked down actually in the phone so there is no easy fix?

• Locked thread