Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

xzzy posted:

The spiteful walls that throw wrecked cars right back into the racing line are a big black mark on the place.

No, this makes the track better. Giant pileups on the high-speed downhill run to the first hairpin are the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

I don't like Bernie's Alps, it feels to much like something out of an arcade racer. Maple Valley I can drive on all day though.

See, I don't mind my tracks being on the arcadey side as long as the physics engine and cars are properly simmed. It sure as gently caress beats doing laps around Silverstone ughhhh.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

General Probe posted:

See, I don't mind my tracks being on the arcadey side as long as the physics engine and cars are properly simmed. It sure as gently caress beats doing laps around Silverstone ughhhh.

(Cue up indignant voice)

What you don't seem to understand, Mr So-Called Internet Commenter, is that Silverstone is a track with massive amounts of history and some of the most legendary races of all time....never mind.

I can't do it. I can't even pretend that Silverstone is any fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

General Probe posted:

Silverstone is a very boring track. I can't understand why so many Forza fans were asking for the updated version, it's not going to make the track anymore interesting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Silverstone is one of the best tracks for multiplayer racing though, due to the massive runoffs. Means mistakes will tend to keep people from messing your car up.

I like driving it, but I'm in the minority. :smith:

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
I'm so glad new York circuit is gone, that track was a snooze. My top 3 in this game are Road Atlanta, Bernie's, and the Top Gear track. It might just be the scenery, or the fact that it's new, but I just find Bernie's is so fun to drive.

So far I'm not to fond of Hockemheim ring, but Infineon is a great addition.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infineon grew on me over time. I like all of the hills it has and different track variations. Road Atlanta and Maple Valley are my other two top favorites.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WienerDog posted:

I'm so glad new York circuit is gone, that track was a snooze. My top 3 in this game are Road Atlanta, Bernie's, and the Top Gear track. It might just be the scenery, or the fact that it's new, but I just find Bernie's is so fun to drive.

So far I'm not to fond of Hockemheim ring, but Infineon is a great addition.

I'm guessing you never played the version with chicanes? Or maybe you never played multiplayer? It was kind of boring alone, but with other people, it was amazing. Racing neck and neck with someone, playing chicken to see who gets to go through the chicane first. The ends always killed me, they should fix that, but it was a zen like experience getting the chicanes right every time.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

I said come in! posted:

Yep, i've seen Blue Mountain come up as a track that fans really want back.

Blue Mountain was a crazier take on Bathurst. Lots of sweeping hills and a huge dive back down to the final turn. It was amazing online.

I'd love for them to bring some back like Blue Mountain, Rio and Alpine Ring or maybe some new fictional tracks. Turn 10 has some awesome original course designers, they just haven't been utilized much (And they brought in the bloody Tilke-Dromed Hockenhiem).

Pacific Dockyard can stay the gently caress out though. Think pubbies are bad now? Getting slammed into the trucks on the dockyard chicane was torture in the original Forza since you could immediately do in your engine (As full damage was on, even in ranked). It was exceptionally dumb :mad:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Hockenheim is a solid addition, Infineon loving owns bones, Indy is meh but still leagues better than Silverstone or Motegi, New York ironically owned and Positano unironically owned.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing you never played the version with chicanes? Or maybe you never played multiplayer? It was kind of boring alone, but with other people, it was amazing. Racing neck and neck with someone, playing chicken to see who gets to go through the chicane first. The ends always killed me, they should fix that, but it was a zen like experience getting the chicanes right every time.

Chicanes yes, Online no. I can see how it would be a fun track with a full grid online, but every time it came up in Forza 2 single player (I can't even remember how SP was laid out in that game) it was like a death sentence.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sorry everyone that was in my lobby, trying to walk some guys through a fanatec firmware update.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Is there an update for the PWTS yet? I cannot drive at all since the patch. Like, cars that I used to love, I am unable to complete a lap without spinning. I tried turning the sensitivity down, I tried changing the tune on the cars, nothing. I guess I'm just a terrible driver that learned the old physics model which was wrong, and now I'm hosed.

Spending the hours it's going to take to change whatever loving habit I developed that is causing me to crash now is a really daunting task that I really don't want to do. UGH

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
New york w/ chicanes was great because it was like a sort of American Monza.

Speaking of, why does GT5 get Monza and loving SPA?! Such a waste.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Any interest in doing another multiclass Top Gear race this weekend?

The last one we did was immense fun and scary as poo poo coming into the cross over.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Falken posted:

New york w/ chicanes was great because it was like a sort of American Monza.

Speaking of, why does GT5 get Monza and loving SPA?! Such a waste.

Yeah, these are fantastic tracks. Shame Forza doesn't have them.

I wonder how much work goes into 1 car vs 1 track in terms of cost of implementation and man hours. Personally, I think a track pack would be a lot more interesting than a car pack. Anybody know if Turn 10 plans to release any?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No plans yet. Don't expect anything so there's no disappointment. :/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, these are fantastic tracks. Shame Forza doesn't have them.

I wonder how much work goes into 1 car vs 1 track in terms of cost of implementation and man hours. Personally, I think a track pack would be a lot more interesting than a car pack. Anybody know if Turn 10 plans to release any?

Try asking the last 20 people who have asked in the last few pages.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

if there are new tracks, you'll know. Spergs like me will be making a huge deal out of it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

If we're doing Trackchat, i'm throwing my vote in for Road Atlanta as Best loving Track. Club version especially, holy poo poo. That downhill chicane section right after the uphill right is nothing short of balls to the wall fun. I love me some Road Atlanta, i'd kill to drive the real Club circuit one day :h:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Road America doesn't get enough love. :(

Edit: Sargento bridge owns ironically, everything else just plain owns.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 17, 2012

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man
I was really sad when I found out Maple Valley wasn't a real place :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mac Tonight posted:

It reminds me of some of the race tracks in the Northeastern part of the u.s., which are covered in forest.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

I said come in! posted:

It reminds me of some of the race tracks in the Northeastern part of the u.s., which are covered in forest.

That's where I assumed it was and thought "Man I'd love to see a race there in the fall". I guess there's always Mid-Ohio

bich
Dec 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Mac Tonight posted:

Aw man I thought it was :(

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Promoted Pawn posted:

Road America doesn't get enough love. :(

Edit: Sargento bridge owns ironically, everything else just plain owns.

I feel you, man. Road racing at its finest, indeed.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Pop quiz: What has Spa, Fiorano, and a poo poo-ton of Ferraris, both old and new?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlE08rR7UxU

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

Day Man posted:

Is there an update for the PWTS yet? I cannot drive at all since the patch. Like, cars that I used to love, I am unable to complete a lap without spinning. I tried turning the sensitivity down, I tried changing the tune on the cars, nothing. I guess I'm just a terrible driver that learned the old physics model which was wrong, and now I'm hosed.

Spending the hours it's going to take to change whatever loving habit I developed that is causing me to crash now is a really daunting task that I really don't want to do. UGH
Are you just having issues with correcting a slide? There is the linearity issue right now but if you play at 900 degrees of steering then the biggest change is how you need to countersteer, thing is its pretty close to reality (a bit harder than reality atm) so its best to learn how to do it proper and its probably not too hard for you to change the habits if you know what needs to be changed.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hello Spaceman posted:

Pop quiz: What has Spa, Fiorano, and a poo poo-ton of Ferraris, both old and new?

Old F1 cars on Spa

Day 1 purchase :fap:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Hello Spaceman posted:

It looks nice, and SMS can make a decent racer, but it seems like every car got way too tail-happy

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

real_scud posted:

It looks nice, and SMS can make a decent racer, but it seems like every car got way too tail-happy

It really IS a Ferrari game :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It looks great, but seems like a poorly camouflaged drifting game. Guy was losing the rear on corners he had no reason to be.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

xzzy posted:

It looks great, but seems like a poorly camouflaged drifting game. Guy was losing the rear on corners he had no reason to be.

BUT YOU SEE :spergin:

It has everything this thread has been moaning about.
Old cars? Check.
Open wheel cars? Check.
Spa and probably Monza? Check.

Don't rain on the parade, man!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
No damage? No thanks.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

GOD IS BED posted:

No damage? No thanks.

I want to see open-wheel tires flying off and rolling down the track after a good hit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hit you because I love you. :smith:

I'd love a racing game with nothing but Ferrari's in it, but I've bought games like this a zillion times, and ever since Forza entered the scene, quality of the driving simulation trumps everything else.

(I'd probably be a hardcore PC racer if it wasn't such a pain in the rear end getting my desk rigged up with a wheel, living room makes it a whole lot easier to spread out)

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

xzzy posted:

I'd love a racing game with nothing but Ferrari's in it, but I've bought games like this a zillion times, and ever since Forza entered the scene, quality of the driving simulation trumps everything else.

Remember what happened when Porsche tried that?
hoo boy

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Mac Tonight posted:

Remember what happened when Porsche tried that?
hoo boy

On the other hand there's this...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Their previous attempt, NFS: Porsche Unleashed, was actually pretty decent for its time.

But it was completely superseded by all the simulators that have come out since then.

e:fb. stupid boss stopping by to chat me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Porsche Unleashed was the coolest.

• Locked thread