Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Piano posted:

The miata engine bay is too easy to leave tools inside... Was doing some work on the car, went for a drive, came home, tried to put the lights down, left one only went halfway down... a ratchet made its way under the light housing and got stuck there, and the light motor was clamped down on it. At least I get to keep this ratchet :v:

Also replaced the VC gasket, looked like a little bit of a leak going down to the headers... I was losing about a quart/1000m, which I consider well within 'no big deal' territory, but I hope that fixes it or slows it down anyway. I think they changed the gasket style at some point because the new one (from mazda) is twice as beefy.

In aviation, we shadow our toolboxes to prevent this from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Flyin' Miata actually called me up to make sure that I got their downpipe installed properly. Talk about customer service!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Piano posted:

The miata engine bay is too easy to leave tools inside...

I'm inclined to agree.

The dealer left a socket in my fender and a friend of mine who also AutoXs an NA left a set of spark plug wires in the cowl. They were wedged there for about 5 weeks since he rarely raises his hood for anything.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

revmoo posted:

Flyin' Miata actually called me up to make sure that I got their downpipe installed properly. Talk about customer service!

Same here with my hood vents, got a voicemail. I almost want to call them back and thank them for calling.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They call every time i order something. Usually a nice older lady.

:3: like this simply doesnt happen in the F-Body modifying community.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Anyone watch Suburgatory? I'm assuming no.

The guidance counselor (same guy who played Lloyd in Entourage) finally came out. He said "One more announcement -- I'm gay. So from this point on, I will be driving a Miata."

oh, have the link to the scene:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/318127/suburgatory-out-in-the-burbs?c=20:10

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Searching for anywhere with a miata battery in stock... :bang: :argh:

loving cold.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have never had a problem finding them at Autozone.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Welcome to Canada, where parts source, crappy tire, and napa all have to order the battery in.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

Welcome to Canada, where parts source, crappy tire, and napa all have to order the battery in.

Is there an EastPenn near you? That's where I got mine last time.

http://www.eastpenncanada.com/contact_us.php

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Probably a long shot but might as well, looking for a black or white hardtop under $1k and around Virginia.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Nappa in the next town over has one, woo! Only far too much money but it's cheaper than paying for a boost every morning until one comes in...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

TrueChaos posted:

Nappa in the next town over has one, woo! Only far too much money but it's cheaper than paying for a boost every morning until one comes in...

Just be nice to the staff at Napa and your price can change dramatically. I went there to get a battery for the Volvo a couple months ago, their price was $149. I asked them to "put it on a good account" and they rang it up on the account of the city maintenance department. Totalled just over $100 after tax.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I tried that and the price didn't change :P oh well! It's a new store - wasn't open 6 months ago, so I haven't spent enough money there yet I guess. It's funny how much difference the new battery makes. Car was starting fine when I went to go pick it up, but now the windshield wipers are actually fast.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

Part Source is owned by Canadian Tire Corp. They both order from the same Canadian Tire warehouses. The only reason CT wanted the PartSource chain was to break into commercial (shops) sales.

Our store paid all costs (staff, bills, etc.) from just the commercial side of the business - the retail sales were just gravy for the franchisee.

They actually did a really smart job with those stores. They got franchisees to setup the stores, then bought out the well established stores 4years later rather than renewing the franchisee. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

Phone posted:

Hmmm, so that belt has about another 50K left in it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

*scrolling* Oooh, pretty head-:stare:

Is that why you want a Mazda2?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the "5k miles or 3 months, which ever comes first" timing belt maintenance window.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the "5k miles or 3 months, which ever comes first" timing belt maintenance window.
Or you suck at tensioners :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OEM only from here on out.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
A thing happened over the weekend.

When I woke up Saturday, I had no idea that was going to be the day that I was going to be a Miata owner again. It's my fourth one, but my girlfriend's first. 1992 Sunburst Yellow with about 150,000 miles on the stock suspension.

First order of business definitely is a new suspension. It amazes me how wrecked the handling is with such blown shocks. Criminal, almost. It also needs a new driver's seat, some tender love and care, and a few odds and ends. But mostly, it's structurally solid and only cost me $3,000.

It's the car I can't seem to get away from. I get rid of them and they just keep following me home.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

That's a great colour, and the polished(?) wheels go well with it. Very tidy :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

einTier posted:

A thing happened over the weekend.

When I woke up Saturday, I had no idea that was going to be the day that I was going to be a Miata owner again. It's my fourth one, but my girlfriend's first. 1992 Sunburst Yellow with about 150,000 miles on the stock suspension.

First order of business definitely is a new suspension. It amazes me how wrecked the handling is with such blown shocks. Criminal, almost. It also needs a new driver's seat, some tender love and care, and a few odds and ends. But mostly, it's structurally solid and only cost me $3,000.

It's the car I can't seem to get away from. I get rid of them and they just keep following me home.

Yellow Miata Bros. :smugbert:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Granite Octopus posted:

That's a great colour, and the polished(?) wheels go well with it. Very tidy :)
Yeah, they're polished wheels off of a 10 AE. Personally, I don't think they really go with the car, but the girlfriend likes them and since we bought the car together and the car needs several other things before wheels, they'll be on there for the foreseeable future.

I'm waiting for a friend to get back from some time away so that I can pick through his family's Miata junkyard and hopefully scrounge up a few missing and broken pieces. Nothing big, but there are a few things that could use some freshening up. 150k and 20 years tends to be hard on any car. Hopefully, he has a rollbar somewhere.

But really, it's that drat suspension I'm going to have to do something about. It's really the major flaw in an otherwise exceptional automobile. Having driven track prepped Miatas, it's hard to realize what the car is capable of. After that, I need to find a Torsen. The VLSD is completely blown.

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

einTier posted:

Yeah, they're polished wheels off of a 10 AE. Personally, I don't think they really go with the car, but the girlfriend likes them and since we bought the car together and the car needs several other things before wheels, they'll be on there for the foreseeable future.

Those NB wheels are nice and light, and I think the sunburst yellow makes them seem less blingy. I was on a mission to replace mine until I realized they're only 13 pounds each.

Congrats on the new ride.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
It's amazing how an underpowered 20 year old car with blown suspension can still put a smile on your face. I had completely forgotten just how good these cars really are.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
You probably are aware but they only imported a little over 1500 of those, that one year.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just had my first proper hand-over-hand slide on a roundabout hitting a patch of ice, pleased with myself that I rolled with it rather than panicking and lifting off. I think I scared the grandma driving behind me though.

I adore these cars. And winter tyres. :allears:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I have a stock suspension (springs/shocks/bars) off my 99 that only had 70k on it and was really tight. Will that fit an NA?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It'll work but the shocks are physically longer, the car will be sitting goofy high.

If you want something cheap, I think some of the generic Taiwanese monotube coilovers are down in the $500s these days (maybe?), Megan/etc, they have dumb overblown rebound, but you're not gonna do much better in that price range unless you want to revalve some bilsteins.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Or like AGX's and FM springs

e: a little more $$$ then I remember

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 18, 2012

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Alright being the forgetful idiot that I am, I didn't notice any vents on the battery I removed, but the new battery I put in definitely has them - however it appears that the vent tube has gone missing. What size hose do I need to buy to connect to the vent that's in the car?

I'm assuming the white thing in the back I can see in this picture is the vent - I've got one that looks similar and ends in a hose barb.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I need to get some random 1.6 Miata parts gone -- a NOS OEM head gasket, '92 ECU and a set of Magnecor plug wires. I'll stick a picture in the for sale thread. $80 for everything.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Got my car back up and running again.

1.8 '96 torsen diff (4.1 ratio)... $700
1.8 '99 Driveshaft $100
1.8 '99 Driveshaft Bolts $5
1.8 '00 Axle Shafts $100
1.8 '99 Axle Nuts $10
1.8 '99 PPF Bolts $25
1.8 '99 PPF Spacer $40

Time of removal & install: 5hrs and two trips to the hardware store.

Final result: Car moves. 4.1 ratio diff has perceptibly slower accel, but worth saving $200 over probably.

Leftover parts: A bunch of 1.6 NA bullshit.

If you're buying a 1.8L miata, check under the car for shenanigans.

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

Finally got some snow to play in tonight. I'm really happy with the BFGoodrich all seasons I bought this summer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My Dunlop Graspics finally gave up any resemblance of grip after 6 years. I couldn't even make it out of my driveway (which is essentially flat). I've got some Continental EXTREME BLAH BLAH BLAH poo poo on order.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're pulling the engine for leaks have new oil pan seals ready. I thought the pan was sealed by RTV all around so I thought I had everything I needed.

I rented a bay for the weekend to pull the engine so I could do the rear main seal. I had a new clutch kit and seal ready to go, but after I get it open it was the rear oil pan seal which was cracked in several places and covered in oil. Now I'm renting the bay for an additional day over a 2$ part. I also ordered a new front pan seal too because that one didn't look great either.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I've never pulled an engine, but if I ever do, I think I would take the opportunity to change pretty much every seal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I had been looking only at black NB's, but I found a blue 99 10AE with low miles and a hardtop for under 10k :ohdear: