Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Miijhal posted:

Welp, I've been playing White Knight Chronicles II for a while now. It's nice to see how much the game's been improved since the original. Having damage numbers change color when the attack types are effective against an enemy is especially welcome, as is being able to earn Guild Ranks during the story.

Of course, the story is still terrible, but at least Yulie actually has screen time!

Would you reccomend WKCII to someone who enjoys games like Xenoblade and Final Fantasy 12? I don't really care much about the storyline, I'm more interested in that style of gameplay more than anything.

e: havn't played WKC1, but WKC2 comes with it anyway so i guess it doesnt matter

a glitch fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Eggn0g posted:

Would you reccomend WKCII to someone who enjoys games like Xenoblade and Final Fantasy 12? I don't really care much about the storyline, I'm more interested in that style of gameplay more than anything.

e: havn't played WKC1, but WKC2 comes with it anyway so i guess it doesnt matter

I haven't really played either, so I can't really say, but from what I've seen of the two, probably. The mechanics are pretty reminiscent of an MMORPG, though all the skills share a global cooldown and are balanced based on MP costs and Action Chip costs.

It's a fun game, and while I haven't had the chance to play it online yet, I've heard good things about its multiplayer.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

More Resonance of Fate questions.

1) For Charge Speed/Acceleration, which determines how fast your initial charge builds up and which determines how much faster you accumulate others in the same attack?

2) How do you change the color on terminals to something other than you activated them with? I cleared one using a normal energy hex but now it won't me attach any other colored ones to it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Eggn0g posted:

I recommend it, even though plenty of people here won't give it a fair shake after WKC1. The multiplayer component is quite fun. Be aware that it's one of those games that requires you to purchase an online pass if you don't buy the game new. Just a protip though: Even though your Avatar can learn any skill, the best trees in the game are Axe, Bow, and Staff+Magic. Everything else just falls behind once you get to the real high-end quests, so pick one and stick with it until you Rebirth. Then you could switch or double specialize in Axe and Bow.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

iastudent posted:

More Resonance of Fate questions.

1) For Charge Speed/Acceleration, which determines how fast your initial charge builds up and which determines how much faster you accumulate others in the same attack?

2) How do you change the color on terminals to something other than you activated them with? I cleared one using a normal energy hex but now it won't me attach any other colored ones to it.

Charge Speed is the initial speed, Charge Acceleration is how much it speeds up each subsequent level. You'd have to do some crazy math to figure out the best balance but acceleration becomes better later on in the game since the acceleration stacks for each charge level and you'll be charging up more and more levels.

Don't remember poo poo about the hex system though.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Since there aren't many games coming out in January/February I've decided to play some of my old PS2 RPGs I've never gotten around to playing.

I was thinking of starting Digital Devil Saga. Is there anything I should know before playing? I've only played 2 SMT games in the past(Persona 3 and 4) and loved them both, but something tells me DDS is a lot more difficult and could screw me over if I do the wrong thing. Will I enjoy it if I really liked the Persona series, or are they 2 completely different series?

Should I maybe play Nocturne first?

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 18, 2012

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Cardboard Fox posted:

Since there aren't many games coming out in January/February I've decided to play some of my old PS2 RPGs I've never gotten around to playing.

I was thinking of starting Digital Devil Saga. Is there anything I should know before playing? I've only played 2 SMT games in the past(Persona 3 and 4) and loved them both, but something tells me DDS is a lot more difficult and could screw me over if I do the wrong thing. Will I enjoy it if I really liked the Persona series, or are they 2 completely different series?

Digital Devil Saga is hard and long. (that's what she said!)
I would HIGHLY recommend Nocturne first, in terms of preparing yourself.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

They're really only similar to Persona in that Persona's combat is basically a somewhat simplified version of the combat in Nocturne/DDS. DDS has a more traditional jrpg format and would probably be easier to get into, but be aware that you'll need to play both games if you want the full story. Nocturne is a straight-up, pure dungeon crawler, and as such you'll need some patience to play it. They're all amazing games but yeah, they're a lot tougher than the Personas.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
DDS 1 and 2 are probably easier than nocturne as well, if only by a little bit.

Speaking of Nocturne, I restarted the cycle on hard, because I hate myself, and died in the 4th battle :v:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
What is WKC's battle system like? From a few videos/screenshots I've seen, it looks like a basic ARPG with blocking/attacking being the primary focus (kind of like Oblivion/skyrim), is this true? After putting 100+ hours into Dark Souls, I don't think I'd be able to go to a "less advanced" battle system like that, atleast not for awhile. Does it add a different aspect that I'm maybe not taking into account?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

casual poster posted:

What is WKC's battle system like? From a few videos/screenshots I've seen, it looks like a basic ARPG with blocking/attacking being the primary focus (kind of like Oblivion/skyrim), is this true? After putting 100+ hours into Dark Souls, I don't think I'd be able to go to a "less advanced" battle system like that, atleast not for awhile. Does it add a different aspect that I'm maybe not taking into account?

Not really. It's closer to an MMO than an action game.

Basically, you have three bars of abilities that you can customize. All abilities share a global cooldown based on your AGI and equipment weight. In addition, you also have the usual MP, as well as up to fifteen AC.

The basic skills don't take any MP or AC, but obviously don't do as much damage. Stronger skills tend to take MP, as well as all spells. Support skills tend to take AC. You can also create chains of skills that take a variable amount of AC based on the skills strength, which allow you to do multiple actions in one turn.

During the story mode, various characters also get the ability to transform into incorrupti, like the White Knight of the title (your character also gets the ability for doing a sidequest late into the second game). These basically take up all your AC, and have a set amount of MP based on its gear and how many AC you had at the time. The MP decreases over time, as well as when you use some of their stronger attacks, though you can still have other teammates recover it as much as you need to. Changing into an incorruptus basically does two things: makes you significantly more powerful and more durable, and allows you to focus on body parts on large enemies that aren't reachable by non-bow wielding characters. The transformation may also have extra effects like healing the party or blocking one attack for them based on your equipment. As for the point of targeting body parts, some parts on certain enemies can be broken, weakening them, large enemies can be temporarily knocked off-balance by striking their legs enough, and hitting their heads does extra damage.

Lastly, each attack has an attack type, which is generally effective against enemies that would logically be weak to it. Cutting attacks work best against things like plants, and soft, fleshy creatures, stabbing attacks work well against thicker skinned creatures, and finally, bashing attacks work best against armored foes and skeletons. There's also four different elements that follow the basic RPG standard.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 18, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
WKC2 improves the first one so much I actually regret playing WKC1 when it first came out. Combat is faster and abilities seems better (especially magic). I gamefly'ed it so I guess I'll have to buy an online pass or something because that's where the fun is. It is definitely a Level 5 game though so your mileage may vary - I find people either love or hate their stuff. I'm in the 'love' category.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I've never played a MMO before either, so I'm not sure about the exact style of combat, but $30ish isn't too bad for 2 games, maybe I'll pick it up. Thanks!

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Stelas posted:

vvv 100% official, it just came through in an Atlus email 'Can you guess our NEXT next new game?'.

So the sixth clue just came out via email. :allears:

I really have no idea what it could be :ohdear:

edit: Another email!

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 18, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

maketakunai posted:

That might have been the easiest thing to guess ever. Still, I'm glad to see some PSP RPGs making it over this late.

Anyway, on the topic of WKCII, if anyone winds up picking it up, I've been meaning to make a new character to fiddle around with online, so feel free to send a friend request to 'Genkio'.

Stow
Feb 14, 2004
Heh, is the game going to be silent? That part about the script bothers me.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Oh man, i don't mind having no english voices, but no japanese either? Meaning the cutscenes themselves will be full of amateur english voice talents pretending to speak in voice frequencies they're physically incapable of? This game's going to be amazingly annoying.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Stow posted:

Heh, is the game going to be silent? That part about the script bothers me.

The compromise they (as well as Atlus Japan) made with Personas 3 and 4 in having only a select few plot central scenes voiced worked great. After hearing the characters once you naturally read their lines in their voice. Pity they couldn't work something out but it's really rather incredible we're getting a text heavy PSP game in 2012 at all. Atlus didn't want to lose too much on this.

Mithaldu posted:

Oh man, i don't mind having no english voices, but no japanese either? Meaning the cutscenes themselves will be full of amateur english voice talents pretending to speak in voice frequencies they're physically incapable of? This game's going to be amazingly annoying.

What? The cutscenes can't make up much of the game, and why would the cutscene dub be worse than their other work?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Only a select few plot scenes were voiced? What?

Also this is the first I've ever heard of licensing issues with getting a Japanese voice track. I wonder what happened there.

Previous Growlanser games were heavily voiced, not sure if you ever played the previous Growlanser games that came over on the PS2.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Only a select few plot scenes were voiced? What?

I meant only the big plot related scenes were voiced. Even the main character social links were mostly left mute.

Or are you responding to the Growlanser news?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Growlanser 2 was really fantastic and made great use of its low budget. 3 tried to get fancier and only ended up feeling cheaper. I hope this one's good!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rinkles posted:

I meant only the big plot related scenes were voiced. Even the main character social links were mostly left mute.
Right but that's no small percentage of the game and those same social links are mute in the Japanese version as well.

Don't get me wrong I am happy to be getting the game, I am just surprised they ran into licensing issues getting the Japanese voicetrack. I dream of a day when obscure (in the west) games come over without the overhead costs of an English dub but not a day when the Japanese voicetracks get abandoned too. At least officially.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Right but that's no small percentage of the game and those same social links are mute in the Japanese version as well.

I know I even said as much. It's a decent solution for games in general not just localizations, even if there's less audio than in the Personas.

quote:

Don't get me wrong I am happy to be getting the game, I am just surprised they ran into licensing issues getting the Japanese voicetrack. I dream of a day when obscure (in the west) games come over without the overhead costs of an English dub but not a day when the Japanese voicetracks get abandoned too. At least officially.

This might be the reason behind Atlus always being entirely dismissive of dual language releases. Either Atlus Japan doesn't care to include a provision for multi-region releases in their VA contracts, or it would come at too significant a cost.

I would have much preferred the voiced version - and from what I've read there is a lot of it - but I doubt Atlus doesn't have good reason to cut it. The PSP has carved it's own little JRPG niche in the west, and it's seems its sustainable since we're still getting a steady stream of new localizations, but my guess is these require keeping costs to an absolute minimum.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Damnit, Atlus. I really wish I hadn't sold my PSP. I sold it at a time when it was just dead weight since there were no good games for it, but now with all these coming out I don't know if I can ignore it any longer. Grand Knights History, Growlanser 4, Gungnir, in addition to games I haven't played yet like 3rd Birthday and Valkyria Chronicles 2...

I'd really like to hold out until the Vita though, and hope that they digitally release these over PSN because I'm not terribly fond of buying physical media (or buying another PSP for that matter).

↓↓↓ I'm essentially a Parasite Eve sellout, and I'll buy any game that's PE. I played the hell out of the first two and I'll probably like 3rd too, unless it's unredeemably lovely.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 19, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

softcorps posted:

Grand Knights History, Growlanser 4, Gungnir, in addition to games I haven't played yet like 3rd Birthday and Valkyria Chronicles 2...

You might consider this one a blessing.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Wendell posted:

Growlanser 2 was really fantastic and made great use of its low budget. 3 tried to get fancier and only ended up feeling cheaper. I hope this one's good!

For what it's worth, the first Growlanser and Growlanser IV are generally regarded as the best in the series, apparently.

A British Nerd
Jan 18, 2012

Master of the Smurfs
Chuck Fan
How's the Kingdom of Amalur demo? I haven't had a chance to try it yet and that game is looking good from what I've seen/heard so far.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

softcorps posted:

3rd Birthday it's unredeemably lovely.

That really is the best way to describe it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Is it wrong that I kinda liked The 3rd Birthday? Its plot was unbelievably lovely and the clothing damage system and costumes was incredible pandering crap, but I liked the combat. I had fun with it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

Is it wrong that I kinda liked The 3rd Birthday? Its plot was unbelievably lovely and the clothing damage system and costumes was incredible pandering crap, but I liked the combat. I had fun with it.

The combat wasn't bad and the DNA upgrade system was fun to toy around with.

Everything else though was there to kill any good taste remaining in the PE series.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

A British Nerd posted:

How's the Kingdom of Amalur demo? I haven't had a chance to try it yet and that game is looking good from what I've seen/heard so far.

It's been... Divisive. Only thing people on both sides seem to agree is that the camera is pretty bad, but literally everything else has both supporters and dissenters. This is a demo you'll really have to try for yourself to decided the worth of it.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
I'm thinking of picking up Tactics Ogre seeing as it has so many glowing reviews, is it worth my hard earned $19.99?

The only SRPG-ish type of game i've played is Devil Survivor so i'm not very familiar with tactic based RPGs.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

TheIllestVillain posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Tactics Ogre seeing as it has so many glowing reviews, is it worth my hard earned $19.99?

The only SRPG-ish type of game i've played is Devil Survivor so i'm not very familiar with tactic based RPGs.

Its my favorite SRPG of all time and I really think the retranslation does wonders for it. The difficulty is also lessened from the original game, so if you're new to SRPGs its not overwhelmingly difficult.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, the only real downside to the TO remake is the horrible crafting system they bolted on.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheIllestVillain posted:

Just FYI Gamestop has new copies for $10. I grabbed a copy last week thinking it had to be a system error, but the listing on gamestop.com shows the same price.

I'm still a bit burned out by the FFT style of strategy RPGs, but you have to admire how faithful it is to its SNES underpinnings whilst having all the amenities of a modern game. It looks like it's constructed to be a perfect remake.

It's a very different game to Devil Survivor, there's much more unit micromanagement outside of battle, and battles are more strategic and dependent on coordination of multiples more units than what you had in DS. You might very well still enjoy it, it is a good game, but be prepared for something different and I'd say more demanding than Devil Survivor.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, the only real downside to the TO remake is the horrible crafting system they bolted on.

The crafting is mostly ignorable unless you want to do post game stuff. My biggest problem is how much grind it takes to get a new class up to par when you open them up late in the game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

So how many people are playing (or have even heard of) The Lost Angelic Chronicles of Frane: Dragon's Odyssey? I am drawn to it by nostalgia for all the terrible Japan-only games I wanted to play back in 1997, since it looks exactly like a game from that era but was actually released a few months ago.

Also, that title is amazingly bad. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-LACFDO/the-lost-angelic-chronicles-of-frane-dragons-odyssey

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Wendell posted:

So how many people are playing (or have even heard of) The Lost Angelic Chronicles of Frane: Dragon's Odyssey? I am drawn to it by nostalgia for all the terrible Japan-only games I wanted to play back in 1997, since it looks exactly like a game from that era but was actually released a few months ago.

Also, that title is amazingly bad. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-LACFDO/the-lost-angelic-chronicles-of-frane-dragons-odyssey

It got a pretty middling review on RPGamer, not that I had heard of it until you brought it up. Gamersgate has a history of selling a lot of JRPGs like that for some reason.

In other news, I'm really hoping Resonance of Fate gives you something eventually that increases the random encounter rate. I just got to Albona where there's a ton of new gun parts, but most of them require components that rarely drop from certain enemies or aren't even carried by anything you normally fight at that point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

iastudent posted:

It got a pretty middling review on RPGamer, not that I had heard of it until you brought it up. Gamersgate has a history of selling a lot of JRPGs like that for some reason.

In other news, I'm really hoping Resonance of Fate gives you something eventually that increases the random encounter rate. I just got to Albona where there's a ton of new gun parts, but most of them require components that rarely drop from certain enemies or aren't even carried by anything you normally fight at that point.

There are ways you can do that, including arena fights you can replay for item drops IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

There are ways you can do that, including arena fights you can replay for item drops IIRC.

I forgot about the arena but I'll give that a shot. I was trying to hold off on it for the most part until you get enough colored hexes to link an outrageous amount of bonuses to there. At least you don't have to do every fight per rank to unlock the next one.