Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Listening to Dave read "A Wednesday in the life of Stephanie McMahon" made my morning, so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

Listening to Dave read "A Wednesday in the life of Stephanie McMahon" made my morning, so great.

That reminds me, can somebody email me the trending results for a show that hasn't aired yet? :lol:

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

triplexpac posted:

I loved that part, so good, although I feel like Dave was sometimes just grasping at straws to try to find bullshit, even though there was a lot of it right in view.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Brian admitting he just makes up his own storylines to get through WWE.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm sure it's been asked a lot but if I'm a big fan of LAW and Art of Wrestling should I subscribe to Observer?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Glitterbomber posted:

I'm sure it's been asked a lot but if I'm a big fan of LAW and Art of Wrestling should I subscribe to Observer?
Yes, you should.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Glitterbomber posted:

Have you listened to any of the free shows? They have one free show per week, alternating between Wrestling Observer Radio (Bryan and Dave), the Bryan and Vinny Show (Bryan and his friend Vince Verhei - more comedic and way less new-oriented than Dave shows), and Figure Four Daily (Bryan interviewing someone). I think tomorrow is the free edition of the B&V Show, but it might be time for a Figure Four Daily. Not sure, but it gives you a good indication of what you'd get in a signup.

If you check the bottom right hand of the website, there's a section with the latest free shows. Might not be a bad idea to check those out if you've never listened to any before.

If you want my personal opinion on the matter, however, then gently caress yes you should signup. There's a lot of good poo poo on that website.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Glitterbomber posted:

It's infinitely better.

I used to listen to every LAW show but since I subscribed to the Observer I don't bother because of it's superiority.

It's much more informative, when you start listening to the Observer you realise how little content shows like LAW have and how much of the show is just listening to poo poo-kickers like Agnew ranting.

Plus if you like the entertainment vale of stuff like Review-a-Wai which I really enjoyed, it has plenty of that with shows like Bryan and Vinny too.

On top of it all, the subscription fee is really reasonable particularly in the sense that you get plenty of value for your dollar(s).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Welp I'm wealthy enough to spend ten bucks testing out a podcast (I listened to a few free shows a bit ago and remember thinking they were ok) and just listened to the Observer show for today, and yep, totally worth it.

I listened to the LAW show before it and the difference is huge, I didn't even realize how much time LAW spent just literally recapping every second of a show and going 'yep, that sucked' instead of discussing. Gonna listen to some of the other shows in a bit but already a fan.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Glitterbomber posted:

Welp I'm wealthy enough to spend ten bucks testing out a podcast (I listened to a few free shows a bit ago and remember thinking they were ok) and just listened to the Observer show for today, and yep, totally worth it.

I listened to the LAW show before it and the difference is huge, I didn't even realize how much time LAW spent just literally recapping every second of a show and going 'yep, that sucked' instead of discussing. Gonna listen to some of the other shows in a bit but already a fan.

Word of advice - check out all the Bruno Sammartino shows in the archive because they are tremendous. gently caress it, I'll find them for you. I'm gonna link the board because they loving took out their search function on the main page, apparently.

7/20/11 - http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=128880&p=3130647&hilit=bruno#p3130647
11/3/10 - http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112377&p=2480570&hilit=bruno#p2480570
5/19/10 - http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=100298&p=2082871&hilit=bruno#p2082871
10/16/09 - http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=85355&p=1653281&hilit=bruno#p1653281
7/1/09 - http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78813&p=1480370&hilit=bruno#p1480370
1/14/09 - http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=67336&p=1170768&hilit=bruno#p1170768

I think that's it. Start at the earliest and work you way up. Your time will not be wasted.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Glitterbomber posted:

I would enjoy The Law a lot more, if it wasn't for the callers. I like Pollock a lot, and I can even take Agnew and Mouth just fine, but god dammit, those people on the phone are just too much to handle. :negative:

It's funny, I was listening to a few of the old Wrestling Observer Live shows, from back when Meltzer was hosting them in the early 2000's, and the average quality of the callers is so much better, it's not even funny. Yeah, you get a few crazy ones, but also a lot of people who are at least coherent, have interesting questions and actually get a good back-and-forth going with Dave. I guess as wrestling dropped in popularity and the top promotions started actively insulting the viewer's intelligence, most of those people drifted away.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
The best part of Wrestling Observer is that there aren't phone calls

Please Jim in Viginia, tell us more about the diva match from last night

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Jim from Virginia is great. Better him than ALEX FROM PUERTO RICO.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
This angle is stupid. If I was in charge of booking I would

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Borh posted:

I would enjoy The Law a lot more, if it wasn't for the callers. I like Pollock a lot, and I can even take Agnew and Mouth just fine, but god dammit, those people on the phone are just too much to handle. :negative:

It's funny, I was listening to a few of the old Wrestling Observer Live shows, from back when Meltzer was hosting them in the early 2000's, and the average quality of the callers is so much better, it's not even funny. Yeah, you get a few crazy ones, but also a lot of people who are at least coherent, have interesting questions and actually get a good back-and-forth going with Dave. I guess as wrestling dropped in popularity and the top promotions started actively insulting the viewer's intelligence, most of those people drifted away.

Someone did the study confirming that they've driven away high school and college graduates.

I think it was high-school. Definitely college though.

edit: From the classic observer: That Worlds Collide PPV sounds incredible. :staredog:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 18, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Someone did the study confirming that they've driven away high school and college graduates.

I think it was high-school. Definitely college though.

edit: From the classic observer: That Worlds Collide PPV sounds incredible. :staredog:

It was a great show but a tremendous bomb on PPV. It was an interesting show to say the least. WCW would reference it occasionally as the reason WCW had such a great cruiserweight division, but Bischoff barely gave a poo poo about the show at the time and basically hosed AAA over on the promotion of the show.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I love the Observer subscription. I get roughly two hours of podcasts a day to listen to at work, plus the entire catalog of podcasts and three newsletters a week to read on my iPad at the gym. All for what I make in about 45 minutes at work.

If you have a desk job, there's no better purchase.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

If you have a desk job, there's no better purchase.

I used to listen to the audio shows in my cubicle while I worked. But then our corporate web filter starting blocking F4W because it was in the "terrorism and violence" category. :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grant DaNasty posted:

I used to listen to the audio shows in my cubicle while I worked. But then our corporate web filter starting blocking F4W because it was in the "terrorism and violence" category. :(

Hey come on we killed that dude off.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I miss James from Kentucky.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

I miss James from Kentucky.

One of my all-time favorite song drops was the Dueling Banjos with James from Kentucky clips spliced in. As Bryan would say, I HOWLED with laughter.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
A few friends and I went to a house show in Kentucky for TNA a while back. At the show, one of my friends went up to Borash and introduced himself saying "JB! Remember me?! It's me, James!" in his best redneck voice.

Borash was the personification of :stare:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

"I keep on calling Vince McMahon's office, and he don't return the call or nuthin' "

I preferred John in Florida, the WCW fan in deep denial, though.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

quote:

-- Lots of Hollywood stars backstage at Raw last night, including Dennis Haskins, aka Mr. Belding

Don't know why but I love the way this news update was written. Hollywood giant, Dennis Haskins.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Raeg posted:

Don't know why but I love the way this news update was written. Hollywood giant, Dennis Haskins.

I will never forgive Vince McMahon for robbing me of the answer to what happens when you introduce Festus to Mr. Belding.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
B&V spoiler:

Air Bong

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

DKP Annual ProWres Paradise PDF is 99 pages color and is amazing. It's on THE BOARD and Bryan says he'll be putting it on the website for members later.

They put so much effort into it.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Bryan's nativity about tainted supplements is absurd.

I got the impression he didn't think winstrall would be used because it's a veterinary drug.

I don't see how this seems impossible when supplements are all ready being proven to engage in the highly illegal practice of spiking their products with controlled substances. When this is happening I really don't think spiking them with veterinary drugs is beyond possibility.

Has this been in the news? This seems like a pretty huge deal having corporations spike widely available products with controlled substances that an average Joe has access too.

Where the gently caress are they getting industrial quantities of these controlled substances that are theoretically very tightly regulated by the government anyway?!

Have I just totally misunderstood this situation? Because this seems like a pretty big public safety issue that has implications beyond the world of MMA and I don't understand how companies proven to have been using these practices are still operating.

Edit: Inadvertent industrial cross-contamination, I guess?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 20, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Sue Denim posted:

I got the impression he didn't think winstrall would be used because it's a veterinary drug.

I don't see how this seems impossible when supplements are all ready being proven to engage in the highly illegal practice of spiking their products with controlled substances. When this is happening I really don't think spiking them with veterinary drugs is beyond possibility.

Okay, I'm presuming this is about Cyborg's recent drug test failure for Winstrol? I haven't listened to the show, but I'll say this.

There are two things to note in this issue - 1) bodybuilding supplements have at times been "tainted" by certain steroids, and that is a very legitimate issue. When a new product hits the market, there are stories that the manufacturer will actually put some sort of performance enhancing drug in it so the supplement makes a big impression on the buying public. In essence, they put steroids in the product in the first batch, thus creating a buzz that the new product is this new wonder supplement, then they remove the illicit material in future generations, expecting the reputation the product developed in its initial run to keep it selling. They're basically inducing a placebo effect later on.

2) Fighters have been claiming a "tainted supplement" caused their test failures since as long as people in combat sports have failed drug tests. The thing the public doesn't really understand is that a lot of fighters - some people say more than half the people in UFC - are taking something, be it HGH or steroids, or both. I don't claim to know who really is and isn't but the point is it's well known when you need to cycle off steroids to beat a test, depending on the type of steroid you're using, so generally you only fail if you don't cycle properly. It's basically an IQ test, since nearly all fighters don't get tested until the day of the fight.

In the end, is it possible a fighter or two failed for a tainted supplement? Yes, it's possible. But it isn't really probable that all the fighters who have claimed a tainted supplement have, as there is a very real issue with a ton of fighters using steroids. It's far more reasonable to assume almost everyone who fails just didn't cycle off properly.

The last thing to consider about Cris Cyborg is the old saying: if it looks like a duck....

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
If these were true tainted supplement failures, they'd be submitting the tainted products - including brand name - to the commissions and getting suspensions nullified or reduced. But nobody actually does that because they're lying. Steroids are very easy to get and the ratio of claimed false positives to real false positives is enormous.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

2) Fighters have been claiming a "tainted supplement" caused their test failures since as long as people in combat sports have failed drug tests. The thing the public doesn't really understand is that a lot of fighters - some people say more than half the people in UFC - are taking something, be it HGH or steroids, or both. I don't claim to know who really is and isn't but the point is it's well known when you need to cycle off steroids to beat a test, depending on the type of steroid you're using, so generally you only fail if you don't cycle properly. It's basically an IQ test, since nearly all fighters don't get tested until the day of the fight.

In the end, is it possible a fighter or two failed for a tainted supplement? Yes, it's possible. But it isn't really probable that all the fighters who have claimed a tainted supplement have, as there is a very real issue with a ton of fighters using steroids. It's far more reasonable to assume almost everyone who fails just didn't cycle off properly.

The last thing to consider about Cris Cyborg is the old saying: if it looks like a duck....
Not just fighters in MMA, but athletes in every sport usually use the tainted supplement or the "my trainer gave it to me and I didn't know it was banned" excuse when they fail a test.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

HulkaMatt posted:

DKP Annual ProWres Paradise PDF is 99 pages color and is amazing. It's on THE BOARD and Bryan says he'll be putting it on the website for members later.

They put so much effort into it.

This is just an absolutely fantastic read. I honestly didn't expect it to be as well made as it is, nor to have so much detail on so many promotions.

If only I didn't suck at the word search.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Sue Denim posted:

I wish he had a display of baby Jesus, Joseph, Mary, and three jacked up wise men.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey does the F4W subscription paid by credit card renew automatically?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

If you ordered it renewed it does.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Does anyone know when and why Dave and Bryan stopped going backstage at major pro wrestling shows? I'm sure it's been mentioned at some point, but I wouldn't know where to start looking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Meat Recital posted:

Does anyone know when and why Dave and Bryan stopped going backstage at major pro wrestling shows? I'm sure it's been mentioned at some point, but I wouldn't know where to start looking.

WWE cut off their backstage access years ago, TNA would shoot Bryan on sight and Dave doesn't go to Japan anymore.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRayPer posted:

WWE cut off their backstage access years ago, TNA would shoot Bryan on sight and Dave doesn't go to Japan anymore.
From the Youshoot interview, Dixie had no idea who Bryan was.

Dave pretty recently said that back in the last couple of years of WCW, they got calls from wrestlers at Nitro telling them how things were going.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perigryn posted:

From the Youshoot interview, Dixie had no idea who Bryan was.

Dave pretty recently said that back in the last couple of years of WCW, they got calls from wrestlers at Nitro telling them how things were going.

Well during the last few years of WCW Dave had backstage access, talked to Bischoff and Bresloff regularly and had WCW guests on WOL often. WCW was a chatty Kathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

MassRayPer posted:

TNA would shoot Bryan on sight

Details please?

• Locked thread