Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LaptopGun posted:

Couldn't you just swap in a new battery to get a new NFC chip? Or is this security layer that locked down actually in the phone so there is no easy fix?

Unfortunately, the actual chip is in the phone. All the battery has is the antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Anyone had luck getting a warranty replacement for the Thunderbolt due to the kickstand flaking? I want to sell mine when I upgrade to a Galaxy Nexus but that seems like it'll hurt. Plus it's really annoying.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

Anyone had luck getting a warranty replacement for the Thunderbolt due to the kickstand flaking? I want to sell mine when I upgrade to a Galaxy Nexus but that seems like it'll hurt. Plus it's really annoying.

They might push back as saying that's normal wear & tear.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
What is the best thing I can do to prevent people from getting my gmail account information and whatnot if my phone got stolen? I was just thinking about how it is linked to my phone and what I can do to kinda protect myself.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

maverick99 posted:

What is the best thing I can do to prevent people from getting my gmail account information and whatnot if my phone got stolen? I was just thinking about how it is linked to my phone and what I can do to kinda protect myself.

Password protect the phone.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

WeaselWeaz posted:

I got my warranty replacement Thunderbolt today (proximity sensor wasn't working, MHS was flaky) and I'm never going to take off that blue sticker off the kickstand. The blue looks rad too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm fully in favor of people posting info like this. It's always good information.

People like to tinker with poo poo. So having a warning that says "You're not supposed to do this, but if you do it this way it could work the way you want it to. Be sure to do it all exactly this way or it could seriously gently caress your poo poo up" is something I like to see when people try something new.

Yeah. All the blog posts, at least when I installed it, didn't say "this could hose part of your phone." Now, of course, they do, so had I known this then I wouldn't have messed with this.

From the research I've done, it seems like there "might" be a way for this to be fixed. There is no Android API to reset the secure element out of lockdown, but maybe Google has something at a lower level to address this if they ever come out and officially support Google Wallet on the Verizon Nexus. Maybe they'd push a firmware update that in the install process runs some native code to give the SE a little kickstart.

The error message with regard to the NFC SE going into lockdown tells you to call Google Wallet Support. So I suppose they likely have some way around this, but they're just not going to do anything about it now, because they're not officially supporting the device. The Nexus S uses the same NFC chipset, so it seems like this would be an issue for it as well, where if you wipe without uninstalling Wallet the keys won't match and it'll force the SE into lockdown.

The rest of the phone still works just fine, I pulled out an NFC tag or two that I have and it still happily can read them, so it's by no means the end of the world. I just can't use a feature that I wasn't supposed to be able to use anyway.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 19, 2012

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Has anyone noted such problems for Wallet on the GNex, but the non-flashed version?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

deadwing posted:

Has anyone noted such problems for Wallet on the GNex, but the non-flashed version?

just to be more clear about what I did:

I had been using the apk version, then wiped and flashed a 4.0.3 AOSP build that had Wallet baked in. When I tried using it it tripped the secure element. I don't know which caused it.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 19, 2012

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I'll be curious to see the general reaction to the LG Spectrum compared to the Nexus. I mean, I've seen and played with a Spectrum (Wow what a screen) but it's still an LG running the Optimus overlay. Internally it's a Rezound without the Beats. The Sportscenter HD app was kind of cool, but I was more impressed it had the Netflix HD app as seen on the Razr.

Penguissimo posted:

Unfortunately, the actual chip is in the phone. All the battery has is the antenna.

Or that :doh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anyone who works for Verizon.

Can they wipe a phone in store that has a broken (completely 100% nonfunctional) screen? I have my broken Razr still and I completely forgot that American Express has purchase protection and it's been less than 90 days. So, I should be able to get the full $299 + tax contract price refunded for the phone.

Looking on ebay, used working ones are going for around $350 while parts ones with broken screens are going for around $100-$120.

I haven't contacted motorola yet to see what it would cost to get a screen (really full front plate) replacement but looking online parts alone are around $180 so I'm expecting like a $250 repair (wild guess.)

Repair situation: $310 - $250 = $60 + $350 = $410 (with possibly having to deal with a nitpicky ebay buyer who may bitch and moan if the phone isn't perfect for them for some reason)

Sell for parts: $310 + $100 = $410 (the phone is broken, take what you can get, open and shut case)

So, it seems like I should really take the path of least resistance and just sell it as a broken parts phone. Less hassle. But in order to do that, I need to wipe the drat thing first (without being able to use the touchscreen at all) before I could sell it. Worst yet, I can't even verify that I've wiped it very easily.

I have a couple avenues available to me.

1) Wifi was on when it broke and it was setup for our Exchange 2010 server at work. I could try a remote wipe from the exchange server, but I know for a fact that it's never been attempted before so I don't know if it will work.

2) RSDLite and flash a factory image. From what I've seen online, I don't actually have to interact with the touch screen to do so. Again, verification is an issue.

3) Take it to a Verizon store if they have a tested solution for wiping the phone and they can give me reasonable assurance that it completed.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Maybe the Verizon reps could throw it in a display webtop dock and wipe from there?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

redstormpopcorn posted:

Maybe the Verizon reps could throw it in a display webtop dock and wipe from there?

I think even with the webtop, you need to interact with the touch screen in order to initiate it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
RSD should show you if it was successful.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Rent posted:

One of the reasons I switched from a CDMA carrier. such anti-consumer bullshit like that

They are selling those prepaid phones at a major loss, its not anti-consumer, its just anti profit losing. That prepaid bunded $29.99 LG Vn150 Walmart sells, costs my stores $119 as a non-prepaid model.

GSM carriers lock down thier pre-paid phones as well, there is just no control and a secondary grey market in unlocking them and using them not as intended.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
So i was probably hours away from ordering a Razr when i heard about the Razr Maxx coming soon. Anyone have more info as to when that's coming and/or when the current Razr is gonna drop to $199?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ernie Luckman posted:

So i was probably hours away from ordering a Razr when i heard about the Razr Maxx coming soon. Anyone have more info as to when that's coming and/or when the current Razr is gonna drop to $199?

26th is the current rumor for the Razr MAXX.

Keep in mind too that when the Razr drops to the $199 price point, it will also be dropping the included 16gb microSD card so it will be a 16gb phone (8gb usable media space) rather than a 32gb phone then.

That's not a huge deal anymore since microSD cards have bottomed out and price and you can get a 32gb one for $30, it's just something to be aware of.

Also, 100% under the radar, the LG Spectrum came out today. $199 720p, dual core 1.5ghz snapdragon and LTE. LG smartphones are REALLY hit an miss so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone out of the gate, but there's another option out there now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 19, 2012

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
Is it possible to unlock the Droid INC2 for use with overseas SIM cards if one is not a Verizon customer? Parents are going to India and ported out earlier and have it sitting around.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mighty Horse posted:

GSM carriers lock down thier pre-paid phones as well, there is just no control and a secondary grey market in unlocking them and using them not as intended.

You can buy an AT&T prepaid phone and stick a AT&T sim in it though and use it immediately. Or atleast you could last time i did it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

king of the bongo posted:

Is it possible to unlock the Droid INC2 for use with overseas SIM cards if one is not a Verizon customer? Parents are going to India and ported out earlier and have it sitting around.

Yes. Verizon will do this for you if your account is is good standing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Don Lapre posted:

You can buy an AT&T prepaid phone and stick a AT&T sim in it though and use it immediately. Or atleast you could last time i did it.

you still can. Its part of our sales routine if a customer don't have an upgrade.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Is there such thing as a Verizon "customer retention" department, and is there a way to get in touch with this department, and has anyone been able to get deals from this department in the past? I just missed the "double your data" promo plan and now I've been seriously considering Sprint. I would love to hear about any special offers Verizon makes to keep customers but they don't exactly publicize it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

OSheaman posted:

Is there such thing as a Verizon "customer retention" department, and is there a way to get in touch with this department, and has anyone been able to get deals from this department in the past? I just missed the "double your data" promo plan and now I've been seriously considering Sprint. I would love to hear about any special offers Verizon makes to keep customers but they don't exactly publicize it.

Yes, call and ask to cancel your service. Hope they dont call your bluff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Edit: Disregard

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 19, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Is anybody else having a data outage?

I'm good in Houston, at least 3G wise I'm good. Can't test LTE right now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Codiusprime posted:

I'm good in Houston, at least 3G wise I'm good. Can't test LTE right now.

Yeah it just came back on after having no data for a couple hours.

No idea what the hell.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Oh snap, noticed I had 4G where I usually had 3G today around my work. Checked and sure enough they expanded Houston today. If it reached about a half mile further out I would have it in my office.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, call and ask to cancel your service. Hope they dont call your bluff.

is it really a bluff if he actually intends to go with sprint if they won't accommodate him?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Codiusprime posted:

Oh snap, noticed I had 4G where I usually had 3G today around my work. Checked and sure enough they expanded Houston today. If it reached about a half mile further out I would have it in my office.

Looks like my parents should have 4G coverage if I ever decide to go back there again.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like my parents should have 4G coverage if I ever decide to go back there again.

Holy poo poo my signal has gotten progressively better throughout the day. I used to get a decent 3G signal where I am now but now I have full 4G. Hopefully that means I have more than two bars in my apartment.

I thought LTE was supposed to have decent building penetration. I still barely get a 3G signal in my building but outside of it I get a nice LTE signal. I'm not that far inside the building.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Codiusprime posted:

Holy poo poo my signal has gotten progressively better throughout the day. I used to get a decent 3G signal where I am now but now I have full 4G. Hopefully that means I have more than two bars in my apartment.

I thought LTE was supposed to have decent building penetration. I still barely get a 3G signal in my building but outside of it I get a nice LTE signal. I'm not that far inside the building.

You should call them and complain that you've recently been getting 3G only but now finally have a solid 4G signal and see if they'll give you a credit for your past inconvenience.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It seems like this NFC lockout business on the Nexus might all be moot anyway.

You don't have the keys to the secure element on your phone. Google doesn't have them either, nor does Samsung, or Verizon. The gateway to getting stuff onto that chip is through Google's partner First Data who acts as the "Trusted Service Manager." The TSM writes the payment card info into the chip, and then when you use Wallet the card info is directly passed from the secure element to the NFC radio to send to the card reader without the Wallet app ever seeing it. Supposedly First Data can resurrect the secure element if you get it into lockdown like mine has, but that's obviously not going to happen at the moment since it's not an officially supported device.

Verizon has partnered with Gemalto to act as TSM for Isis, and the direction they've moved towards is they want to use a secure element in SIMs so Verizon has control (as opposed to a chip in the device). So I guess in this case what you'd have is that Gemalto would handle provisioning the SIM-based SE, and nobody else could. Conversely, Isis would have to play ball with First Data & Google to write to the NFC secure element built into the Nexus.

So it really makes me wonder if there will be any compatible payment service at all, at least for the Galaxy Nexus. It seems like the best you could hope for is either a) Isis would just require getting a new NFC-enabled SIM and then it's off to the races or b) Verizon stops being sore at Google and allows Wallet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

b) Verizon stops being sore at Google and allows Wallet.

b may not be possible if Verizon has exclusivity agreements with Isis.

Now, it's easy to get sore at Verizon for this. However, it is entirely possible Verizon started negotiations with Isis long before Google was approaching anyone about Google Wallet.

Isis seems to have done their homework and has something the carriers want, otherwise AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile wouldn't have made agreements with them.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Mighty Horse posted:

ATT encourages you to use prepaid phones. In fact, when you open them, they clearly tell you how to use it if it's a replacement phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

b may not be possible if Verizon has exclusivity agreements with Isis.
Yeah, I kind of wrote that there thinking it fell under the "if pigs fly" column.

Isis says they won't have general availability for another year at least, so I guess we may as well rule out any form of NFC payments for a while (and maybe even on this generation of hardware at all, depending on whether the devices can deal with the NFC-secured SIMs that Isis wants).

In other news, the Thunderbolt seems to have recently taken the title of "the piece of poo poo device they give away free on a 2-year contract." Inexplicably, the Charge is still priced at $199.99.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

Inexplicably, the Charge is still priced at $199.99.

I bet it will stay there until we get another "Droid" branded Samsung phone.

At least it's not $299 anymore. It stayed there for far too long.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

kitten smoothie posted:

In other news, the Thunderbolt seems to have recently taken the title of "the piece of poo poo device they give away free on a 2-year contract." Inexplicably, the Charge is still priced at $199.99.

The Charge, from what I hear, is a better phone or at least has better battery life. As a Thunderbolt owner I wouldn't encourage someone to buy it for free.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

WeaselWeaz posted:

The Charge, from what I hear, is a better phone or at least has better battery life. As a Thunderbolt owner I wouldn't encourage someone to buy it for free.

The latest OTA (2.3.6) for the Charge is actually pretty decent. eHPRD transitions from LTE to EV-DO are still painfully slow, but not nearly as bad as they were before.

I just wish Samsung wasn't poo poo at writing the RIL (or at least that they would open the source for it), so we could get some good 3rd party ROM support.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AlexDeGruven posted:

The latest OTA (2.3.6) for the Charge is actually pretty decent. eHPRD transitions from LTE to EV-DO are still painfully slow, but not nearly as bad as they were before.

I just wish Samsung wasn't poo poo at writing the RIL (or at least that they would open the source for it), so we could get some good 3rd party ROM support.

I noticed jt, who is the (only?) dev working on ICS for the Charge, got run out of his thread on XDA by a few posters for spending time with his family one night instead of working on getting the radios working. :waycool: XDA, let's just obliterate any chance of making the Charge a decent phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ciabatta posted:

I noticed jt, who is the (only?) dev working on ICS for the Charge, got run out of his thread on XDA by a few posters for spending time with his family one night instead of working on getting the radios working. :waycool: XDA, let's just obliterate any chance of making the Charge a decent phone.

Nah. Not quite so dramatic as that. Just the standard XDA douchebaggery. Mods have started showing up in both the Charge and Kindle Fire ICS threads to try and tone down the making GBS threads.

As usual, the primary problem with the Charge's ICS build is the RIL, because Samsung insists on doing it differently than everyone else. Always.

• Locked thread