Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
is anyone able to actually use the my verizon profile app?

it is showing me my data usage, but it did not reset for my next billing cycle. When i try and go into the app, and either create a profile or sign in to an existing profile, it errors out and tells me it can't connect to the server.

something something error code 1001.. which according to google means Will occur on system timeouts. Resubmit transaction.

I have a number of bloat apps frozen, but nothing suggests its tied to verizon data

suggestions ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ciabatta posted:

I noticed jt, who is the (only?) dev working on ICS for the Charge, got run out of his thread on XDA by a few posters for spending time with his family one night instead of working on getting the radios working. :waycool: XDA, let's just obliterate any chance of making the Charge a decent phone.
While I doubt jt is going to stop working on the charge, xda pretty much blows.

jt is by far the leading expert on Samsung CDMA devices and has, almost single-handedly, ported CM (7/9) to the Fascinate, Charge, and Verizon Tab, which makes him incredibly productive. gently caress, xda is full of entitled shitheads.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I have a tethering question. No, it's not "hey how how can tether for free."

I have a Droid with 3g and am a long term VZW customer grandfathered into unlimited data. I just moved into a new house w/o internet.

I used the mobile hotspot for my Ipad when on vacation last spring and remember blowing through my 2gb fairly fast, but I'm willing to give it another shot. Basically, I can pay $30 a month for crappy TW internet, $40 for bit better, or $20 to tether up to 2gb on my phone, $10 (or $20, I can't find a straight answer online) an additional gb. If my use is fairly small, just browsing forums and news sites, I think it just may be more economical to tether. I just have to use only 2-3 gb per month.

The problem it that it's very difficult to get an accurate record of how much tethering I use. I recall this from the spring. I have a "3G Watchdog" app that says in the past week I've used a mere 245mb. The My Verizon app shows I'm close to 400mb as of last night. However I got a text message from Verizon yesterday morning that shows that I've used half or more of my monthly tethering allowance, ie 1gb or more. Which would mean I'd be using like 5gb a month and that would cost $50 (or $80, depending on if the mobile hotspot tethering overage rate is $10/gb or $20/gb), which would buy me far faster internet from TW, assuming I was even able/willing to spend that much for internet at this time.

So my question is if there is a reliable, up to date way to check my tethering usage, via app, VWZ website, etc so I know where I am day to day? And what is the rate per gb for overages?

Odds on it will be cheaper just to bite the bullet and get TW internet, but I hesitate to because you're locked in for a 12 month contract at that promo rate and I have no idea if I'm gonna be here in 12 months.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Astroman posted:

So my question is if there is a reliable, up to date way to check my tethering usage, via app, VWZ website, etc so I know where I am day to day?
No, or not that I know of. Both the website and app seem to use the same data, and it can at times be horrendously out of date. For example, I just checked it, and it says: "Estimate as of 01/16/12 5:57 AM"

quote:

And what is the rate per gb for overages?
$20 / Gb.

Also, keep this in mind:

quote:

When your smartphone is connected using 3G Mobile Hotspot, all data sent or received by your smartphone (including data sent or received by any Wi-Fi devices connected to it, or by your smartphone itself) will be billed according to your 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, and not according to your smartphone data feature.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AlexDeGruven posted:

Nah. Not quite so dramatic as that. Just the standard XDA douchebaggery.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah, I know that one thing isn't too big a deal in the grand scheme of things. I think I was naive about how lovely xda is, I thought it was more "check out my terrible RaGnArOcK theme," not "gently caress your family, work on my phone."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No, or not that I know of. Both the website and app seem to use the same data, and it can at times be horrendously out of date. For example, I just checked it, and it says: "Estimate as of 01/16/12 5:57 AM"

Which is kind of annoying, because if they were able to send me a text yesterday morning telling me I'd already used a gig, then clearly some person/bot has a more up to date total than the website and app.

Oh well. It seems that even just doing standard web browsing it would cost me a stupid amount a month to tether, and if I just get Time Warner I can watch streaming video and stuff too without having to worry about cost.

It seems kind of dumb though. I guess they'd rather have people buy FIOS instead of using their phones, but FIOS isn't available everywhere and even here, it's still more expensive than TW broadband, which is wholly adequate for my purposes. But if they had a better tethering plan I'd be paying VZW an extra $20-$40 a month, and instead I'll be giving that to TW.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

jt is by far the leading expert on Samsung CDMA devices and has, almost single-handedly, ported CM (7/9) to the Fascinate, Charge, and Verizon Tab, which makes him incredibly productive. gently caress, xda is full of entitled shitheads.
jt is so legit it hurts. He and imnuts are the beating heart of the Charge dev scene, I should just start shooting them money on a monthly basis. imnuts' latest kernel fixed Voodoo Sound under Gingerbread so I was finally "able" to re-activate my Charge (despite the rest of the stock ROM's staggering mediocrity) and continue sucking on the LTE teat.

Samsung should really be loving ashamed of themselves. I feel real stupid for getting this phone on my contract back in July, not because it's a bad phone -- again, it's literally an LTE Nexus S underneath -- but because I unintentionally rewarded Samsung with money while they shipped an unreasonably broken shitshow. Should have flipped an iPhone with my contract and gotten a Fascinate, like a smart person.

On the plus side, you can already get used Charges for about $150 so by the time ICS CM9 is fully-working, this phone will be a great low-cost LTE recommendation much like how the Fascinate is now (provided you can tolerate Ev-DO while knowing this wonderful network exists).

kbar fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 21, 2012

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Codiusprime posted:

I thought LTE was supposed to have decent building penetration. I still barely get a 3G signal in my building but outside of it I get a nice LTE signal. I'm not that far inside the building.

What phone are you using? If it's Galaxy Nexus, don't believe the bars, or the db meter until they push the signal update as the numbers can be off from reality. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5310/samsung-galaxy-nexus-ice-cream-sandwich-review/12

Also for that matter, I doubt they have the same amount of 4G equipment on a tower like they do for 3G since it's users are still quite low. We probably won't see the better penetration benefits until they start transitioning voice to it.

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

Best QB in Arizona history*

*projected
Hey guys, quick question. I'm on Verizon and had been using a the standard Motorola Droid for the last two years. My phone got stolen last week, but I guess the plus there is it gives me an excuse to upgrade.

I really like the iPhones and was going to get the iPhone 4s, but am wondering what kind of benefit I would get from going to a 4g phone. Is it worth it? Also, would I still be grandfathered into unlimited data, or would they toast that if I went to 4g?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ryokurin posted:

Also for that matter, I doubt they have the same amount of 4G equipment on a tower like they do for 3G since it's users are still quite low. We probably won't see the better penetration benefits until they start transitioning voice to it.

They don't and that's the big thing. A whole area may be blanketed with LTE coverage, but that doesn't mean that a tower you are getting your LTE signal off of is just as close as the one you are getting EVDO/1x off of. The density of LTE equipped towers isn't as high as the others. There's enough in an area to provide "full" coverage, but far fewer than the older network which has to handle more traffic.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Absolute Zero posted:

Hey guys, quick question. I'm on Verizon and had been using a the standard Motorola Droid for the last two years. My phone got stolen last week, but I guess the plus there is it gives me an excuse to upgrade.

I really like the iPhones and was going to get the iPhone 4s, but am wondering what kind of benefit I would get from going to a 4g phone. Is it worth it? Also, would I still be grandfathered into unlimited data, or would they toast that if I went to 4g?

The basic tradeoff involved in going to a 4G phone is the gaining of crazy speed at the expense of battery life. It's seriously faster than a lot of home internet connections, assuming you live in a good coverage area. As far as battery life goes, if you get the right 4G phone (Galaxy Nexus, Rezound), then it probably won't be too much worse than you're used to, and may actually be an improvement over your OG Droid if you had been still using the original battery (which is probably pretty worn out by now). On the other hand, if you get the free Thunderbolt, well, keep in mind that it's free right now for a reason, and you'll be getting battery life you can measure with an egg timer. If you can wait for the RAZR MAXX (allegedly dropping on Thursday), it's supposed to last forever.

Regardless, you'll probably want go into the store and play around with all of the phones (including the iPhone) to make sure you like the form factor and software. And you'd be grandfathered into unlimited data as long as you don't activate a non-smartphone on the line before getting the new phone.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Thanks Bull and Ryokurin, that makes a lot of sense. I'll just be happy with my signal in my apartment that now makes it faster than my Wi-Fi.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Has there been an official release date for Droid 4 yet? Last I heard it was Feb 2nd, or something like that.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nothing official.

People heard rumors of February, and Verizon generally launches on Thursdays, so people are hoping for the first Thursday in February. The price was dropped on the Droid 3, which is a positive sign. The Droid 4, like the Galaxy Nexus, will probably be one of those phones that Verizon doesn't say anything about until the actual launch day.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
So I'm ready to leave Sprint. Are there any referral bonuses or promos going on? I'm pretty sure I'm going Gnex.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Pizza Club posted:

So I'm ready to leave Sprint. Are there any referral bonuses or promos going on? I'm pretty sure I'm going Gnex.
Bad timing. You just missed the double data promotion.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I noticed. Is this something I could talk my way into? I am mostly on wifi all the time, so my 12 month data usage/month average is a little over half a gig. I'm not that worried about it, although I did notice my small city has 4G.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I had thought the enterprise data plan was a bunch of BS and a way to get an extra $15/month out of people who didn't know any better, because Exchange ActiveSync certainly still happily worked just fine.

My dad is grandfathered into unlimited data, and took a job where he has to use Good for Enterprise to get his mail.

Apparently you can't use Good unless you have the enterprise data plan. Looks like Verizon is actively blocking Good unless you have an enterprise data plan and an extra feature code on your account that is only allowable if you have the data plan.

Is there any way to switch to the enterprise plan and keep it unlimited if you already have it, or has that ship completely sailed?

I tried to look at the options online on my own account and I can't change my data plan from personal to enterprise at all, even if I wanted to switch to tiered for some idiot reason.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

kitten smoothie posted:

So I had thought the enterprise data plan was a bunch of BS and a way to get an extra $15/month out of people who didn't know any better, because Exchange ActiveSync certainly still happily worked just fine.

My dad is grandfathered into unlimited data, and took a job where he has to use Good for Enterprise to get his mail.

Apparently you can't use Good unless you have the enterprise data plan. But as it turns out either Verizon is actively blocking Good unless you have an enterprise data plan and an extra feature code on your account.

Is there any way to switch to the enterprise plan and keep it unlimited if you already have it, or has that ship completely sailed?

He should be able to move up.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

kalibar posted:

Bad timing. You just missed the double data promotion.

This. I cannot understand why a new customer would join and pay $30 for 2gb of LTE data. Yes, there is wifi everywhere, but 2gb when getting 50mbps down is ridiculously stingy, hence the reason Verizon trialed the double data promo. 4gigs was palatable, but still a bit small for data hungry devices.

Good luck with explosive growth at that price/gig. No there isn't a better alternative (maybe T-Mobile...maybe) and Verizon knows this.

Price it at 5 gigs for $30 and be done with it, IMO. Our future in the US with mobile data pricing is bleak at best...

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They'll have to pry my grandfathered unlimited data from my cold dead hands :colbert:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Absolute Zero posted:

You sound like you're not chomping at the bit to get 4G, for which I say just get the iPhone. By the time your contract is up, 4G will be mature enough that it will be not as big a battery hog.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

hotsauce posted:

This. I cannot understand why a new customer would join and pay $30 for 2gb of LTE data. Yes, there is wifi everywhere, but 2gb when getting 50mbps down is ridiculously stingy, hence the reason Verizon trialed the double data promo. 4gigs was palatable, but still a bit small for data hungry devices.
Yeah I mean, I'm a big proponent of churning when deals suck. at&t's doing 3 gigs for $30 right now which is kinda lovely too, but I'd rather have 3 gigs of HSPA+ than 2 gigs of LTE. Signing a Verizon contract right now is kind of a poor choice unless at&t's just totally unusable in your area.

The day Verizon starts cleaning out unlimited LTE plans is Churn Day for me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Verizon will need to match AT&T somehow. I can't help but think the double data promo will come back for good soon.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Here's some RAZR MAXX details for you. The one I have is running the exact same software and kernel as my RAZR. I'm sure production handsets will at least say RAZR MAXX instead of RAZR but I'd wager they'll be almost identical still.

Battery life is pretty loving killer. I'm sitting at 24hrs on battery with 30% left still, almost none of that time spent on wifi, and with a ton of Dungeon Raid, Google Reader, Awful forums app, and calls and texting. Also with the screen on the normal ambient adjusted brightness the whole time, no tricks there. It's syncing Facebook, gmail, and an exchange email account.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's the display on time?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
1d1h14m now and still at 30%

Display on time is 2h 53m.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I'm torn between the Gnex and the Razr Maxx. I prefer the way the Gnex looks and its Googleness, but part of the reason I'm switching over is battery life. I have an Evo right now and the battery life sucks without taking terrible coverage into account.

Is it the Gnex really going to be that bad if I have good coverage in my area?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Pizza Club posted:

I'm torn between the Gnex and the Razr Maxx. I prefer the way the Gnex looks and its Googleness, but part of the reason I'm switching over is battery life. I have an Evo right now and the battery life sucks without taking terrible coverage into account.

Nah. Most of us are getting a decent day out of them totally stock

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pizza Club posted:

I came from a Thunderbolt which was basically an Evo hardware-wise, but with even shittier battery life because of LTE. I could not be happier with the Nexus. I get a day out of mine just fine. I don't play games a lot or anything but I stream a ton of music on the way to/from work and use it for email during the day.

Mine is completely stock software-wise, not rooted or using undervolted kernels, no juicedefender or any of that. I do use the extended battery but honestly I think the difference in life is not a whole lot. For $25 though it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Absolute Zero posted:

It depends on a few factors. I found Verizon's 4G coverage to be unreliable (down nationwide 3 times in December when I was trying out a Rezound) and spotty, at least in my coverage area (even the Verizon rep at the store said 4G coverage sucks here, despite what their official map says). The Rezound also had a lot of trouble switching between the 4G and 3G radios and a software bug would sometimes render both inoperable until a reboot, something I have heard happens on other 4G phones too.

4G is really fast when it works but I found that 3G is fine for 99% of my personal phone usage; poor coverage, software glitches, and awful battery life pushed me towards a 3G phone for at least one more upgrade cycle.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

tofes posted:

It depends on a few factors. I found Verizon's 4G coverage to be unreliable (down nationwide 3 times in December when I was trying out a Rezound) and spotty, at least in my coverage area (even the Verizon rep at the store said 4G coverage sucks here, despite what their official map says). The Rezound also had a lot of trouble switching between the 4G and 3G radios and a software bug would sometimes render both inoperable until a reboot, something I have heard happens on other 4G phones too.

4G is really fast when it works but I found that 3G is fine for 99% of my personal phone usage; poor coverage, software glitches, and awful battery life pushed me towards a 3G phone for at least one more upgrade cycle.
I live in an area that isn't expected to get 4G until 2013 and I bought a Galaxy Nexus. I set it to 3G only and the performance data speeds and battery life are similar to my old Motorola Droid.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kalibar posted:

jt is so legit it hurts.

This is the honest truth. The only reason CM7 exists for the Fascinate is because he loving REWROTE THE RIL FROM SCRATCH.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Pizza Club posted:

Amazon has the Gnex for $199, $100 less than getting it from VZW direct. That's all I got.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

tofes posted:

The rezound does indeed have a problem, but people are retarded. The solution consists of: airplane mode on, and then off.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If I want to change my plan to have less minutes or no sms do I lose the unlimited data or does it stick as long as I don't monkey around with those options?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

low-key-taco posted:

If I want to change my plan to have less minutes or no sms do I lose the unlimited data or does it stick as long as I don't monkey around with those options?

Data charges are isolated from minutes/text charges. You should be absolutely fine. It might be worth it to go through a phone or store rep to do so, so you can blame them instead of yourself if something fucks over your data.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

tofes posted:

Verizon is very, very aggressive with their LTE rollout and is way ahead of their earlier estimates, we might see most of the population covered by the end of 2012. They are trialling VoLTE too.

Even though I have a Thunderbolt, I like 4G enough that I like keeping it on all the time. Its worth it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

low-key-taco posted:

You can change the other parts without affecting your data. I just added some extra texts per month and in the process also had to change my plan (since I was on the plan I started with back in 2004). Data was unaffected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Droid 4 marches toward release: Droid 3 new contract price reduced to $50.

• Locked thread