Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

T1g4h posted:

"Short". It took me 10 or 11 minutes to do one heat :|
Man up princess is all I can say.

Try doing 100% race distance events in F1 2011. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Falken posted:

Any F1 game at full distance with random breakdowns :suicide:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Falken posted:

I can't even tolerate a couple laps in that game.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Falken posted:

gently caress. That. poo poo. I had my fill of long races doing Enduros in Gran Turismo 4, no thanks :v:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

T1g4h posted:

gently caress. That. poo poo. I had my fill of long races doing Enduros in Gran Turismo 4, no thanks :v:

Was that the one that had the 24 hours of Le Mans in unpausable realtime? I think I heard of some racing game doing that.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Had fun with you guys tonight (I'm RedStar93).

I was actually going to get back on, but I got sidetracked, and my brother wants to play Saints Row, so I might as well let him play it.

Need a new controller though, my good one doesn't work with the headset, and the one that does has a almost-broken RB and the analog stick kinda leans to the left and sometimes goes between left and right when I steer softly to the right, which is why I spun out in that Lotus.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 21, 2012

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Had fun with you guys tonight (I'm RedStar93).

I was actually going to get back on, but I got sidetracked, and my brother wants to play Saints Row, so I might as well let him play it.

Need a new controller though, my good one doesn't work with the headset, and the one that does has a almost-broken RB and the analog stick kinda leans to the left and sometimes goes between left and right when I steer softly to the right, which is why I spun out in that Lotus.

Hahahah oh MAN that wipeout of yours on lap 3 of the race at the big oval with our regular production cars was insane! You hit the wall and flipped in the air backward, and I drove underneath you barely missing your car. That was totally like a Hollywood movie there, holy poo poo.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

VERTiG0 posted:

Hahahah oh MAN that wipeout of yours on lap 3 of the race at the big oval with our regular production cars was insane! You hit the wall and flipped in the air backward, and I drove underneath you barely missing your car. That was totally like a Hollywood movie there, holy poo poo.

Yeah that was rad as hell.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

T1g4h posted:

I always dream of one day doing a full endurance race for some charity or something and I stream it and do requests like wear full race gear and in my pit stops I drink water from a camelbak.

As of this writing, 0% of charities have gotten money from this because it has yet to happen.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I always dream of one day doing a full endurance race for some charity or something and I stream it and do requests like wear full race gear and in my pit stops I drink water from a camelbak.

As of this writing, 0% of charities have gotten money from this because it has yet to happen.

Not gonna lie, I'd donate :10bux: to see this. Another $5 if you deck yourself out in full Ken Block gear and slam Monsters when you pit :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just make sure to set up a litter box under your racing seat so when you piss, it won't stain the carpet.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

For $15 I will totally do it, complete with racing helmet and monster drinks. Although to prevent overheating I'd do 3 4-hour heats.

If we get up to $150 I will TOXX myself. What this means is that I will have to have time to build a race area, get a camera to stream and time to test it out.

Not sure what I'll do if I get more than that. I guess take requests?

And for the charity, I'm assuming Kids Play or which ever goons want to make it?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hey guys, I'm trying to make one of those anime cars, but I think I'm doing it wrong. Can you help me out?

and a "clean" version:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ringo Star Get posted:

One of our local car magazines has run a virtual 24-hour Le Mans using GT4 (and now GT5) since 2007. Teams of 3 drivers enter and it's a big sponsorship event that takes place at a huge mall, running parallel to the actual Le Mans race.

But... Gran Turismo :negative:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Using Forza would make more sense since the game actually supports true multi-class racing.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Don't forget that it doesn't totally suck ginormous big balls.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But Forza races have a 50 lap maximum. :negative:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

50 laps on the smallest track would make it roughly 30minutes, larger courses probably go into the 2-3 hour range. What's the max on setting time for those timed races?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When Forza 2 first came out, several of us SA people had Australian V8 Supercar races. We did 50 minute races on various tracks and it was great. Racing with the element of pit strategy is fun. Also a crash or washing out on a turn isn't the end of the race for you, because everyone is bound to make a few mistakes.

Edit: I don't think F2 actually had V8 supercars, I think I made up a set of custom rules based on cars similar to the cars in that series, such as the cadillac cts-v and holden monaro etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FM4 is the first to have V8 Supercars finally, isn't it? I think this is the only sim to officially have them too, yet it has no Australian tracks. :argh:

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
I think FM3 had V8 supercars as well. Also there was V8 Supercar Driver (TOCA Touring Car games), that had quite a few Oz tracks in it.

Lightglobe
Oct 15, 2005
Yeah, FM3 had them. I know cause my Australian copy has a sticker on it saying that it does.

alr
May 14, 2009
Just got randomly gifted a Camaro SS unicorn, anyone else get this? Was there a reason for it, or some random VIP thing that Turn 10 did? Oh well, it was the only one I was ever really after, so :toot:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Facebook poll.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
So apparently painting a car with matte paint gets you matte vinyls as well.

I can't upload bigshots without a Gold subscription, I really wish they'd let you save to a local USB device.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Cojawfee posted:

Facebook poll.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF why can't I ever get in on any of these, I direly want that goddamn camaro. At this point if I got one I'd drive it every race out of principle.

Matt vinyls looks great. I'm getting a real urge to do a grey car with chromey-blue vinyls (using the paint car and reverse-vinyling thing to make the vinyl shiny) with old SEGA and Sonic logos. Mmmm...

Also, for the curious, letting my gold subscription lapse didn't affect anything adversely, it just nuked the credits I hadn't downloaded from my storefront, didn't remove any of my vinyls though so everythings cool.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

God drat the Pagani Huayayayraryauhruruharuruaaryr is fun to drive. It's how I'd imagine the Zonda would drive if it had no downforce.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ringo Star Get posted:

For $15 I will totally do it, complete with racing helmet and monster drinks. Although to prevent overheating I'd do 3 4-hour heats.

If we get up to $150 I will TOXX myself. What this means is that I will have to have time to build a race area, get a camera to stream and time to test it out.

And for the charity, I'm assuming Kids Play or which ever goons want to make it?

Kids Play works and I'll throw in $50* if you do three heats of 22 laps each, full damage and collisions, on the Nordschliefe in a period-decorated B class or lower 190 E or E30 M3 (or other appropriately Teutonic machine.)
Use bottom-to-middle A class professional opponents because the AI is bad at the 'Ring unless they're outclassing you - I want competition but obviously it's okay to set it up so you're not going to lose on the last corner on lap 22... Watch out for them randomly overbraking for no reason whatsoever at Quiddelbacher, Aremburg, Bergwerk, the Karussell and Pflanzgarten I, since nonbroken aero is important here! Set the AI up in period-appropriate cars where possible and use F1 scoring to score the heat places.

~10 mins per lap x 66 (You'll probably go faster than that at some point, or pick a lower class to keep it close to a 10 min laptime)
+
90 seconds additional per pit @ ~10 pits: 15 mins (Roughly, time stopped plus how much it slows down your laptime with pit entry/exit and breaking in new tires)
+
Two 30 minute breaks, one after each heat. You must eat/drink something in this break that is sponsored on your car. Delicious Bilsteins!

12 hours, 15 minutes. That seems grueling enough, but something doable by one guy without excessive breaks/sleeping.

*Including streaming the race, I want to see a full-gear podium celebration after the race as well, and the playing of the winner's national anthem.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

:v:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ringo Star Get posted:

If you do the $150 thing I will race with you. Over the Internet. For charity.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Captain Hair posted:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF why can't I ever get in on any of these, I direly want that goddamn camaro. At this point if I got one I'd drive it every race out of principle.

Matt vinyls looks great. I'm getting a real urge to do a grey car with chromey-blue vinyls (using the paint car and reverse-vinyling thing to make the vinyl shiny) with old SEGA and Sonic logos. Mmmm...

Also, for the curious, letting my gold subscription lapse didn't affect anything adversely, it just nuked the credits I hadn't downloaded from my storefront, didn't remove any of my vinyls though so everythings cool.

Are you VIP? It wasn't who voted in a poll. The poll decided what car to give to VIP people. Either that camaro, som civic or 2007 GT500.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Are you VIP? It wasn't who voted in a poll. The poll decided what car to give to VIP people. Either that camaro, som civic or 2007 GT500.

How do you become a VIP? I'm sorry this is my first Forza game since 1.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Kids Play works and I'll throw in $50* if you do three heats of 22 laps each, full damage and collisions, on the Nordschliefe in a period-decorated B class or lower 190 E or E30 M3 (or other appropriately Teutonic machine.)
Use bottom-to-middle A class professional opponents because the AI is bad at the 'Ring unless they're outclassing you - I want competition but obviously it's okay to set it up so you're not going to lose on the last corner on lap 22... Watch out for them randomly overbraking for no reason whatsoever at Quiddelbacher, Aremburg, Bergwerk, the Karussell and Pflanzgarten I, since nonbroken aero is important here! Set the AI up in period-appropriate cars where possible and use F1 scoring to score the heat places.

~10 mins per lap x 66 (You'll probably go faster than that at some point, or pick a lower class to keep it close to a 10 min laptime)
+
90 seconds additional per pit @ ~10 pits: 15 mins (Roughly, time stopped plus how much it slows down your laptime with pit entry/exit and breaking in new tires)
+
Two 30 minute breaks, one after each heat. You must eat/drink something in this break that is sponsored on your car. Delicious Bilsteins!

12 hours, 15 minutes. That seems grueling enough, but something doable by one guy without excessive breaks/sleeping.

*Including streaming the race, I want to see a full-gear podium celebration after the race as well, and the playing of the winner's national anthem.

With you and Tig's donation we're at 75 buckeroos!

I love the Ring, in fact when the old old thread was called "12 laps on the Ring? Anyone?" I actually did a 12 lap race. It was a lot of fun and it was great to race it endurance style.

At this point I will have to get stuff set up. I have a corner in my basement where I can use as a place to film and set up stuff. If we can get a goon painting professional for a car racing skin with sponsors, I will decorate the corner as best as possible to match. I will also eat and drink during the 30minute break and having a mini-conference on the stream.

Here is what I have in ownership so far:

Fanatec Wheel Stand
Fanatec GT2 Wheel
Clubsport Pedals
H-pattern and Sequential shifter
23-inch screen
1 Xbox 360
1 unused racing seat

I'd like to make this as awesome as possible. I may build a wooden simpit to match. I will probably be getting a new TV for a larger display in the next month or so.

I'm going to pass this around to my friends and family if they'd like to donate. Each milestone of $50 I will do whatever is requested, granted that it is safe and doesn't involve me breaking laws such as:

-Talking in an accent
-Cutting my hair in a certain style
-And more!

My only hope in pitting is that the AI will do the same, but I'll be doing some tests in the next few weeks or so. I know that I probably won't be able to tackle this until late February due to work and scheduling.

God help me.

EDIT: I also want to point out that using cars from this era would own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw-AxiVqihM

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You could probably post this on reddit to get more people interested and get more donations. They always seem excited about people playing video games for Child's Play.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

You could probably post this on reddit to get more people interested and get more donations. They always seem excited about people playing video games for Child's Play.

I think I'll do this as soon as I'm close to being set in terms of gear, set up and date, I'd hate to post something and then incur the wrath of the internet when something amiss goes on.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Cojawfee posted:

...oh motherfucker. yes I am VIP. However I only renwed my gold yesterday after it had been lapsed about 3-4 days.

So I'm guessing that along with my storefront credits its also wiped my VIP camaro... fffffffuck. :(

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Captain Hair posted:

...oh motherfucker. yes I am VIP. However I only renwed my gold yesterday after it had been lapsed about 3-4 days.

So I'm guessing that along with my storefront credits its also wiped my VIP camaro... fffffffuck. :(

I think the emote you're looking for is :rubshands:

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man
I'll put $20 in if you put my logo on your car for the race :v: :20bux:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Mac Tonight posted:

I'll put $20 in if you put my logo on your car for the race :v: :20bux:

Of course I'll put whatever logo (as long as its work safe) on the car for extra donations! I'm also emailing some racing vendors if they're interested in displaying flags, emblems, or anything for the stream event.

I messed up my math, with your donation, Tig's and Ether's, it is $85! I'm sure I'll get more from friends and family and as soon as more goons wake up this lazy Saturday.

That being said I was checking out the Child's Play charity site and noticed that there's a spot open for them to put the event on the calendar. I'm thinking March 24 will give me enough time to get my gear together, set it up, test it and of course get a community paint job and support. Since I'm working roughly 50+ hours a week this will give me the best amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are you needing other people to be in this race? I could probably do it.

• Locked thread