Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Levantine posted:

WKC2 improves the first one so much I actually regret playing WKC1 when it first came out. Combat is faster and abilities seems better (especially magic). I gamefly'ed it so I guess I'll have to buy an online pass or something because that's where the fun is. It is definitely a Level 5 game though so your mileage may vary - I find people either love or hate their stuff. I'm in the 'love' category.

Yay! I need goons to play with so badly. Pubbies can get the job done, but goddamn they are hard to work with sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

iastudent posted:

I forgot about the arena but I'll give that a shot. I was trying to hold off on it for the most part until you get enough colored hexes to link an outrageous amount of bonuses to there. At least you don't have to do every fight per rank to unlock the next one.

God help you if you're gunning for achievements/trophies though, that was a complete slog to get through.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Going back to WKC2, holy poo poo was that first boss a huge cockblock. I played all of WKC before the tuning and never had an issue but holy poo poo I game-overed to that first boss like 10 times before finally breaking down and watching Youtube strats. They really expect you to know how to command your party and use positioning to be successful.

Still really enjoying it though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Black Stones posted:

God help you if you're gunning for achievements/trophies though, that was a complete slog to get through.

I put a picture-in-picture feed of tv shows and movies while I did it. Goddamn. That took hours.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

Going back to WKC2, holy poo poo was that first boss a huge cockblock. I played all of WKC before the tuning and never had an issue but holy poo poo I game-overed to that first boss like 10 times before finally breaking down and watching Youtube strats. They really expect you to know how to command your party and use positioning to be successful.

Still really enjoying it though.

They only get worse. There are some ridiculously cheap boss fights in the game, especially the ones where you're forced to use Knights and instantly lose if any of them get killed. The final boss is a tremendously infuriating fight unless you get the Avatar's knight (you need at least level 55 to unlock the bounty), and possibly even a few extra levels online.[EDIT: I almost forgot, but once you get the Knight you can get a set of armor for it by going through various rifts that open. It's well worth the effort] But, the worst boss fight in the game is easily being forced to fight two Wyverns in the Van Haven Waste without any character that can transform. Have fun with that bullshit. Bring lots of potions.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 20, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpazmasterX posted:

They only get worse. There are some ridiculously cheap boss fights in the game, especially the ones where you're forced to use Knights and instantly lose if any of them get killed. The final boss is a tremendously infuriating fight unless you get the Avatar's knight (you need at least level 55 to unlock the bounty), and possibly even a few extra levels online.[EDIT: I almost forgot, but once you get the Knight you can get a set of armor for it by going through various rifts that open. It's well worth the effort] But, the worst boss fight in the game is easily being forced to fight two Wyverns in the Van Haven Waste without any character that can transform. Have fun with that bullshit. Bring lots of potions.

Ok, question since I don't remember the first game. Can I do bounties with my NPC party or are they done all online? I gameflyed it and I'm considering buying the online pass because I sure did love online in the first game. Also I want the Avatar Knight.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

Ok, question since I don't remember the first game. Can I do bounties with my NPC party or are they done all online? I gameflyed it and I'm considering buying the online pass because I sure did love online in the first game. Also I want the Avatar Knight.

Bounties are all part of single player. You can pick them up from the Adventurer's Guild NPCs that sell you quests. More become available as you progress through the game and complete the other bounties.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

SpazmasterX posted:

(you need at least level 55 to unlock the bounty)
You can actually do it before then. Once you get to that point in the story, you can do it regardless of level. It's a hard fight, but I did it at level 50.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpazmasterX posted:

Bounties are all part of single player. You can pick them up from the Adventurer's Guild NPCs that sell you quests. More become available as you progress through the game and complete the other bounties.

Ok, thanks. I could not for the life of me remember. I'll start doing them.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.
The boss fights in WKC2 are really not that difficult with some standard strategy. Use buffs(fortify and haste), use debuffs (use slow and fatigue on all bosses), carry potions, keep your AI command sets to be very minimal and take out skills they'll never use, and spread out. If you don't do anything else, just use slow on every boss. That spell alone cuts the difficulty of any encounter in half.

It's also generally ideal if you attempt to hold aggro through either superior damage output or through tanking skills, since you should be much better at positioning than your AI idiots.

Make sure you always have an area of effect skill to deal with summoned mobs. +Aftermath, +Void Crash, the +spells in the elemental line, +Tiger's Rage, +Judgment/Pierce, and shortswords can just use elemental spells with a dagger or something until they get +twin aura.

I'd highly suggest having one of your party members play bow, since their support is very good for the storyline. Yulie or Eldore are good picks for this.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Finally got the right hex to unlock the 1.5x EXP terminal near the starting point and all the enemies that were dropping the hexes I used to link others have suddenly disappeared. :argh:

On another note, PDW-XN.V2 + drum magazine + shitload of barrels = just plain sick and wrong.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

iastudent posted:

On another note, PDW-XN.V2 + drum magazine + shitload of barrels = just plain sick and wrong.

As far as guns go, no-one in the Resonance of Fate world grew out of that 13-year-old phase where a million barrels meant your gun was COOOOOL. I especially like the poor lone barrel pointing downwards.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Stelas posted:

As far as guns go, no-one in the Resonance of Fate world grew out of that 13-year-old phase where a million barrels meant your gun was COOOOOL. I especially like the poor lone barrel pointing downwards.
It's unfortunate that the mods aren't actually modeled in-game. So much missed potential. :allears:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Stelas posted:

Dammit you're making me want to replay this game. I remember spending 20-30 minutes at a time just putting together and taking apart a single gun, trying to figure out the optimal setup. :allears:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Miijhal posted:

It's unfortunate that the mods aren't actually modeled in-game. So much missed potential. :allears:

I'd like to see someone create a replica of a fully decked-out gun. I imagine it'd be only slightly less unwieldy than trying to one-hand a shotgun.

Also the scary part about that pic is that I'm really close to getting those parts.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Teslavi posted:

The boss fights in WKC2 are really not that difficult with some standard strategy. Use buffs(fortify and haste), use debuffs (use slow and fatigue on all bosses), carry potions, keep your AI command sets to be very minimal and take out skills they'll never use, and spread out. If you don't do anything else, just use slow on every boss. That spell alone cuts the difficulty of any encounter in half.

It's also generally ideal if you attempt to hold aggro through either superior damage output or through tanking skills, since you should be much better at positioning than your AI idiots.

Make sure you always have an area of effect skill to deal with summoned mobs. +Aftermath, +Void Crash, the +spells in the elemental line, +Tiger's Rage, +Judgment/Pierce, and shortswords can just use elemental spells with a dagger or something until they get +twin aura.

I'd highly suggest having one of your party members play bow, since their support is very good for the storyline. Yulie or Eldore are good picks for this.

The problem with that (so far) is that allies refuse to buff regardless of their tactic. They only debuff if the debuff is a part of a damaging attack like Arm Breaker or something. Also, bosses seem to have ENORMOUS AoE attacks that hit anyone within half a mile and late in a fight (after enrage) can one shot those NPCs you can't equip or command. I had to use a strat against the first boss wherein I dispersed everyone so all they did was heal and I was the lone damage dealer. This was after about 10 tries of exactly what you described.

I like the game but drat. Boss fights immediately punish one mistake with Game Over every time.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

The problem with that (so far) is that allies refuse to buff regardless of their tactic. They only debuff if the debuff is a part of a damaging attack like Arm Breaker or something. Also, bosses seem to have ENORMOUS AoE attacks that hit anyone within half a mile and late in a fight (after enrage) can one shot those NPCs you can't equip or command. I had to use a strat against the first boss wherein I dispersed everyone so all they did was heal and I was the lone damage dealer. This was after about 10 tries of exactly what you described.

I like the game but drat. Boss fights immediately punish one mistake with Game Over every time.

You can force your NPCs to support you by holding down R1 (or maybe it's L1, I forget.) and selecting the NPC with O or Square. I don't know if their chosen tactic effects their support choices, but I used Yulie as my main healer and ordering her to support would always make her Haste > Fortify > Mana Barrier as long as no one needed to be healed. Plus she would use Spirit Blessing when my MP was low, which was nice.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpazmasterX posted:

You can force your NPCs to support you by holding down R1 (or maybe it's L1, I forget.) and selecting the NPC with O or Square. I don't know if their chosen tactic effects their support choices, but I used Yulie as my main healer and ordering her to support would always make her Haste > Fortify > Mana Barrier as long as no one needed to be healed. Plus she would use Spirit Blessing when my MP was low, which was nice.

Oh ok, that's really helpful actually. I just thought that made them heal. What tree gives haste anyway? I have most of the divine tree but I haven't seen it yet.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I have always been horrible at SRPGs, but I'd like to learn how to play them. I bought Tactics Ogre and FFT for my PSP and I'm going to start one of them. Is either one a better start for an SRPG neophyte? Are there any sort of general tips I can look up or is there a general guide for getting better at SRPGs anywhere?

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Dunbar posted:

I have always been horrible at SRPGs, but I'd like to learn how to play them. I bought Tactics Ogre and FFT for my PSP and I'm going to start one of them. Is either one a better start for an SRPG neophyte? Are there any sort of general tips I can look up or is there a general guide for getting better at SRPGs anywhere?

Probably FFT. People will say it's really complex and it is if you actually care about bravery/faith/signs but you can still break the game over your knee by ignoring all that stuff. I always did, anyway.

Tactics Ogre is more complex both in storyline (diverging paths, if I remember right) and mechanics.

Vandal Hearts is another game you could try which is simpler than both but still a lot of fun.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The original Vandal Hearts for PSX (not the XBLA/PSN atrocity) is a pretty simple SRPG for first timers.

It teaches you the basic tenets of most SRPGs:
- The importance of positioning - Bonuses granted when allies surround enemy or when you're flanking
- Class variety/class changing
- [Rock, paper, scissors] class strengths/weaknesses - Archers kill Mages, Mages kill Armored, Armored kill Knights, Knights kill Archers, etc.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Vandal Hearts is very good, and since we're listing games he should try without him having actually asked us to: play Shining Force, guy!

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
I'm about to pick up MagnaCarta2 again, Is there anything i should really know, i dont remember the game at all. Other then the "Bonus pack breaks the game" stuff.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Dunbar Since youve got FFT and Tactics Ogre Im going to go ahead and assume you have a psp if thats the case get Jeanne D'arc and play that first. Its a charming game, pretty cheap by now, the combat is simple when it needs to be and complex if you want it to be, there are no crazy skill trees or classes to delve into, each character comes with their own role so you can learn their place in combat without having to worry about CREATING their place in combat. by the time youre done with that you'll be ready for something deeper.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

Oh ok, that's really helpful actually. I just thought that made them heal. What tree gives haste anyway? I have most of the divine tree but I haven't seen it yet.

It's Divine, it's just really far along it. You have to unlock Heal IV for it to appear.

http://whiteknightchronicles.neoseeker.com/wiki/Divine_Magic_%28WKC2_Skills%29

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Dunbar posted:

I learned on the newest Vandal Hearts game on XBLA. Not a great game but it's a good introduction into SRPGs. Also, Shining Force.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ashekaban posted:

I'm about to pick up MagnaCarta2 again, Is there anything i should really know, i dont remember the game at all. Other then the "Bonus pack breaks the game" stuff.
Leveling up in general breaks the game. They didn't scale the content after the mid-game to handle your parties' late game skills, etc.

So no, nothing to really know it's a pretty easy game. Stick to one of the two offered skill trees per character and just pick whatever looks fun to you.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

TheOriginalEd posted:

Dunbar Since youve got FFT and Tactics Ogre Im going to go ahead and assume you have a psp if thats the case get Jeanne D'arc and play that first. Its a charming game, pretty cheap by now, the combat is simple when it needs to be and complex if you want it to be, there are no crazy skill trees or classes to delve into, each character comes with their own role so you can learn their place in combat without having to worry about CREATING their place in combat. by the time youre done with that you'll be ready for something deeper.
This game looks really cool and sounds like it would be perfect, but it's $23 on PSN. Maybe I'll see if I can find it used somewhere.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpazmasterX posted:

It's Divine, it's just really far along it. You have to unlock Heal IV for it to appear.

http://whiteknightchronicles.neoseeker.com/wiki/Divine_Magic_%28WKC2_Skills%29

Awesome, thank you. I feel like I made a mistake with the way I specced my Avatar (Sword tree all the way to Twin blades) so I switched to Axe. I thought about respeccing when I get the airship back but I don't want to lose the stat boosts from Sword so I think I'll just ride it out.

Also, thirding or whatever Shining Force. I prefer the GBA version even given the gamebreaking new characters but it looks a lot better than the Genesis version. It's just a great game.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

Awesome, thank you. I feel like I made a mistake with the way I specced my Avatar (Sword tree all the way to Twin blades) so I switched to Axe. I thought about respeccing when I get the airship back but I don't want to lose the stat boosts from Sword so I think I'll just ride it out.

You can't respec for free after level 35, the level you start WKC2 at, but I have good news for you: With the skill points you get at 80 without any rebirths, you could pick up all the necessary skills in Axe, Bow, most of Divine, PLUS all the passive skills in Longsword, Sword, and Spear. It's quite nice. I wouldn't worry too much about speccing Sword since any weapon type works fine (if you're not poorly equipped) until you get up to GR26, and even then it's still up for debate.

Anyways, once you hit 80 you can purchase a respec ticket off PSN ($0.99) if your current setup feels lacking but you don't want to Rebirth. Here's a guide that tells you how to unlock the passive stat boosts on every tree with the bare minimum of points. Just remember that you don't need the stat boosts from Elemental and Staff as a physical attacker, or Axe/Longsword/Sword as a mage, and you should pick up the ones in Divine just from getting your healing and buff spells no matter what.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpazmasterX posted:

You can't respec for free after level 35, the level you start WKC2 at, but I have good news for you: With the skill points you get at 80 without any rebirths, you could pick up all the necessary skills in Axe, Bow, most of Divine, PLUS all the passive skills in Longsword, Sword, and Spear. It's quite nice. I wouldn't worry too much about speccing Sword since any weapon type works fine (if you're not poorly equipped) until you get up to GR26, and even then it's still up for debate.

Anyways, once you hit 80 you can purchase a respec ticket off PSN ($0.99) if your current setup feels lacking but you don't want to Rebirth. Here's a guide that tells you how to unlock the passive stat boosts on every tree with the bare minimum of points. Just remember that you don't need the stat boosts from Elemental and Staff as a physical attacker, or Axe/Longsword/Sword as a mage, and you should pick up the ones in Divine just from getting your healing and buff spells no matter what.

Ok cool. I still haven't gone online yet so I think I'm worrying a bit too much about stats. The single player game is more or less forgiving outside of boss bullshit. If I go online I'll be a bit more stringent with my points. Thanks for that guide though, I can use it in passing with my SP characters to make things a little easier.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
So I played through Catherine over the weekend, and I'm not really sure if it's within the scope of this thread, but I'm counting it since it's developed by the Persona team. I loved the story but thought the actual gameplay was not particularly exciting. It's only about 10 hours long though and if you are into Persona / JRPG relationship drama weirdness it's worth the ride. Assuming you don't absolutely hate the block puzzles.

I'm currently thinking about starting Lost Odyssey for my next game. I haven't played more than a few minutes of it at this point, but is there anything I need to know going in?

It seems pretty traditional JRPG like, so I'm wondering if they are using the "look for obscure parts to the ultimate weapon in areas you can never go back to starting well before you know the quest exists" method of game design.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Substandard posted:

I'm currently thinking about starting Lost Odyssey for my next game. I haven't played more than a few minutes of it at this point, but is there anything I need to know going in?

Anything that you miss from locations you no longer have access to will show up later in the game at an auction house. As such, nothing's really missable. That said, there's chests and things to find all over the place. Be sure to find all the side-stories, and read them because they're pretty drat good.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Substandard posted:

I loved the story but thought the actual gameplay was not particularly exciting.

Isn't that the game where the lady chases you with her rear end while you cheat on two women?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Lord Solitare posted:

Isn't that the game where the lady chases you with her rear end while you cheat on two women?

Basically yeah. You also get chased by undead babies with chainsaw arms, but that's all in the "gameplay" block climbing portion.

It is really a story about a guy who is afraid to commit to his long term girlfriend. It gets a little :catdrugs: near the end, but I thought it was pretty good storytelling before that point.

You don't see many attempts to depict any relationships in video games that are less than 100% ideal.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I guess. I'd rather deal with relationships in real life and keep my video games about killing evil wizards and saving the world :kiddo:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Just when I think the non-serious cutscenes in Resonance of Fate can't top one another, chapter 12 comes around. "Daddy does NOT approve!"

In other news, for what it's worth RPGamer released their Best of 2011 list.

Good news: Trails in the Sky got best PSP game. :toot:
Bad news: They called PSN Wizardry the 2nd worst RPG of the year. :mad:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

iastudent posted:

In other news, for what it's worth RPGamer released their Best of 2011 list.

Good news: Trails in the Sky got best PSP game. :toot:

Looove all the Bastion and Trails awards. Definitely two of my fav's from 2011.
Also pleased to see XSEED get a nice pickup there.

In other news if you guys like RPG (okay fine RPG-lite) and tower defenses you really should check out Defenders Quest. Its quite addictive. Lengthy demo is available on their site.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Those categories seem wildly hosed and I'm not sure how some of the stuff in them got there. (Dungeon Defenders not really what I would call an RPG, for instance.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Has RPGamer ever not been terrible?