Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Tw1tchy posted:

But then again, it doesn't matter if it takes the same amount of time; the customer doesn't have to pay an incredible amount of money to get a render done. Even if it takes a day, that's much better than paying lots of money.
I guess it's more a matter of throughput. You'd probably want to be able to handle a few jobs simultaneously and still have enough juice left to serve up previews quickly.

Still, it's an interesting business model.

duck monster posted:

Yikes. That thing must be a total horror to debug.
Not as bad as you'd think. I wrote two prototypes before getting started on the "real" version. One was to implement the basic light transport algorithm and fiddle with my own ideas. The other was to test out various multi-threading frameworks. Most of the really nasty bugs got caught while writing them.

Writing this version basically involved breaking the rendering pipeline up to fit the task-based multi threading framework I eventually settled on. There were a couple bugs that would pop up after like 9 hours of rendering though. Those were amusing the fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Shaders are working in my game now. It has a much more "Tron" feel now that I'm trying to move in the direction of.

Dear god, I need to stop working on this and start working on the game play.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

As a self-reward for weekend work on a bigger project, I submitted an update to my free PwdHash password generator for the Mac yesterday with one of my favorite things to do--interface work. I implemented a custom LCD screen and made the border of the LCD flash when a password is generated, for visual feedback. I don't go too crazy because one of my concerns with a password-generation utility is that if I make it too fun and toy-like, people won't trust it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Shaders are working in my game now. It has a much more "Tron" feel now that I'm trying to move in the direction of.

Dear god, I need to stop working on this and start working on the game play.

Minecraft on very entertaining drugs.

Bitruder
Nov 29, 2003

Majoring in connect the dots and colouring

Toady posted:

As a self-reward for weekend work on a bigger project, I submitted an update to my free PwdHash password generator for the Mac yesterday with one of my favorite things to do--interface work. I implemented a custom LCD screen and made the border of the LCD flash when a password is generated, for visual feedback. I don't go too crazy because one of my concerns with a password-generation utility is that if I make it too fun and toy-like, people won't trust it.

Do you publish the exact algorithm for generating these passwords? One of the things that worries me about password generators like this where it generates a password based on a list of input strings is that if your program ever breaks, I'm done.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Bitruder posted:

Do you publish the exact algorithm for generating these passwords? One of the things that worries me about password generators like this where it generates a password based on a list of input strings is that if your program ever breaks, I'm done.

It's the PwdHash algorithm from Stanford. There are also third-party web-based implementations such as KeyGrinder (which is what I used before). They will all generate the same passwords when given the same input.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

My space survival / defense game I am developing. Should be release ready for both Android and iPhone sometime next month.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Azazel posted:

My space survival / defense game I am developing. Should be release ready for both Android and iPhone sometime next month.

How are you handling simultaneous development for both platforms? Are you using something like Unity?

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

Foiltha posted:

How are you handling simultaneous development for both platforms? Are you using something like Unity?

Yeah, I am using Unity3d with Sprite Manager 2.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Toady posted:

It's the PwdHash algorithm from Stanford. There are also third-party web-based implementations such as KeyGrinder (which is what I used before). They will all generate the same passwords when given the same input.

Do you implement a hidden machine/installation specific salt of any kind? I've been thinking how you could further encrypt a simple site+commonpw to prevent someone using the same app engineering your common password from a known website password which would give them free access to any other site. I decided that installation time/date created could be used in settings, something the user can forget about but present as a variable so they can modify it if they wanted to - you could then port the desktop program to a mobile app, use the same date/time in the settings to produce the same hashed strings as the desktop version.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

gwar3k1 posted:

Do you implement a hidden machine/installation specific salt of any kind? I've been thinking how you could further encrypt a simple site+commonpw to prevent someone using the same app engineering your common password from a known website password which would give them free access to any other site. I decided that installation time/date created could be used in settings, something the user can forget about but present as a variable so they can modify it if they wanted to - you could then port the desktop program to a mobile app, use the same date/time in the settings to produce the same hashed strings as the desktop version.

The general process for encryption is "don't do it yourself" as the common, or even uncommon things, people think of have already been entertained by the brains behind the libraries that actually make it to the wild, as well as that most things people come up with don't actually offer more security (often they actually lower it).

For educational or personal purposes, of course, try anything and everything you want. But you don't want the burden of trying to release something to the public and justifying why your encryption is somehow better than PhDs, etc.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I agree, but I wasn't saying alter the encryption algorithm as such. But if Toady is passing site as a salt and password as the key, using site+hiddenVar as a salt would be just as easy.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Luminous posted:

The general process for encryption is "don't do it yourself" as the common, or even uncommon things, people think of have already been entertained by the brains behind the libraries that actually make it to the wild, as well as that most things people come up with don't actually offer more security (often they actually lower it).

It's purely a function of the site address and site password, and if the algorithm is exactly the same as the one implemented at the website he linked to (pwdhash.com), it doesn't introduce any kind of slowdown factor, so this could be cited as an example of this principle.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

gwar3k1 posted:

I agree, but I wasn't saying alter the encryption algorithm as such. But if Toady is passing site as a salt and password as the key, using site+hiddenVar as a salt would be just as easy.

It was important to retain compatibility with existing PwdHash implementations because people (including myself) have PwdHash-generated passwords already in use. Also, if a user needs to regenerate a password but doesn't have access to my app, they can use a web-based implementation.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Toady posted:

It was important to retain compatibility with existing PwdHash implementations because people (including myself) have PwdHash-generated passwords already in use. Also, if a user needs to regenerate a password but doesn't have access to my app, they can use a web-based implementation.

Ah, I didn't consider that. I like the look of the program; its nice and clean.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

steckles posted:

Just fiddling with my ray tracer. I finally added material support to my .obj converter. The water is my addition, the rest of the model was found on ompf.

This is beautiful, congrats. A raytracer I wrote last semester for a cg course looks awful next to this.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

HolaMundo posted:

This is beautiful, congrats. A raytracer I wrote last semester for a cg course looks awful next to this.
Thanks! I wrote my first ray tracer back in 1999 and have written about one a year ever since.

SiliconCow
Jul 14, 2001

Toady posted:

This is problematic for sites that have passwords entered on one domain but allow you to sign in from another. Not common but they come up. (I used to base my passwords on site domains)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

When using a password that's based on a hash of the site url, what do you do if you need to change your password for some reason? I guess just remember a few different master passwords and keep track of which site you set up using which?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Internet Janitor posted:

drat you sure know how to crunch data into the smallest amount of space.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

A thread came up on GBS that does a roulette on Imgur. I made it iOS-friendly and wrapped it up in an app using PhoneGap. Since it would totally not get through the App Store review process, you can grab the xcodeproj on GitHub.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

poemdexter posted:

drat you sure know how to crunch data into the smallest amount of space.

I really shouldn't send an artist to do a machine's job, though:

...Man, it's been a while since I've written Java.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

When using a password that's based on a hash of the site url, what do you do if you need to change your password for some reason? I guess just remember a few different master passwords and keep track of which site you set up using which?

I can't really think of another solution for that situation. Maybe just double up your master password (type it twice in succession) to keep it easy to remember. Or take the opportunity to regenerate all your passwords using a new master, since people are advised to change their passwords once in a while anyway but rarely do.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Internet Janitor posted:

That's still pretty insane. After you have the grid stuff how do you go about piecing it back into an image? It seems like the worst possible jigsaw puzzle just to save some space on a source image.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Nah, dude- have a look at the source to that utility I posted. It's pretty succinct. It takes an image and strips it apart into a minimal tileset and a grid of tile indices that will reconstruct the original image.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Internet Janitor posted:

Nah, dude- have a look at the source to that utility I posted. It's pretty succinct. It takes an image and strips it apart into a minimal tileset and a grid of tile indices that will reconstruct the original image.

It's really nice.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Talking of that ereader app I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've got to the stage where I can put it up (as an alpha) on the Android market -

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.kde.necessitas.example.calliope

It's pretty glitchy (partly my bugs, partly Qt for Android being itself in alpha) but it works and you can spell-correct on the fly. Now someone in the UK hire me ;)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Internet Janitor posted:

Why do you use only the Image methods instead of BufferedImage?

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

I'm working on a browser-based game of space trading and pirate/cop dodging

Codeigniter PHP core with an SQL database and JS flourishes, using CSS web-fonts
Planet art is temporary filler, and the commodities aren't all supposed to have the medical supplies icon.
The movement ring only appears on mouseover of the player ship (which is also filler art).

this catte fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 19, 2012

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Viewer+organizer+transcription helper for sources (primarily intended for genealogy, but I suppose could be used for any kind of historical data).

Here shown viewing probate records from a juristiction in Denmark. Still loads of work to do, but I'm getting the hang of Cocoa. The three tool bar items are, in order: Add sources, Start slideshow (fullscreen), and a Zoom control for the viewer.

There's a plugin system so new ways of obtaining sources can be created. Currently I've written one for importing a folder of images, and one for doing SOAP requests to http://www.sa.dk/ao (their website is hell to scrape for tags etc, but at least the actual image viewer is a .jnlp which is easily parseable XML). The queue buttons at the bottom are temporary. The plugins are managed via a queue so they don't slam webservicees, and during testing I prefer to have the queue off.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 20, 2012

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

this catte posted:

Codeigniter PHP core with an SQL database and JS flourishes, using CSS web-fonts
Planet art is temporary filler, and the commodities aren't all supposed to have the medical supplies icon.
The movement ring only appears on mouseover of the player ship (which is also filler art).

Were you inspired by Pardus?

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

wlievens posted:

Or Escape Velocity? I loved that game. Browser-based space pirating would be the best, this looks cool.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

I'm learning python, and trying to combine two of my favorite games: XCOM and Missionforce: Cyberstorm.

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

wlievens posted:

Sub Par posted:

Or Escape Velocity? I loved that game. Browser-based space pirating would be the best, this looks cool.

It's actually based off of Free Trader - but I grew up on the Escape velocity series and they're a huge inspiration.

To clarify, it is browser based with server saved games, profiles, etc but it is single player.

The core game mode involves making increasing loan payments every 30 days for 120 days as pirates and aliens grow gradually stronger and more common - similar to Free Trader - but I'm also doing a survival mode in which the player can choose up to 2 ship upgrades they've unlocked in the other mode to start with, and just see how long they can go and how rich they can get. There will be leaderboards and achievements etc.

The primary way to make money is trade. One upgrade is a deployable asteroid miner you can collect ore from, but the others mostly upgrade combat, fuel capacity, scanners etc.

Contraband cargo has higher profit margins, but is susceptible to police scans (lead plating upgrade helps hide it).

this catte fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 21, 2012

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Astrolite posted:

I'm learning python, and trying to combine two of my favorite games: XCOM and Missionforce: Cyberstorm.

What are you using to render in Python? pyGame?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

this catte posted:

A while back I was developing a web game that was a sort of a space trader/pirates/etc sort of game, and I came up with a really neat way of crafting trade goods/spaceships/etc I havent seen in other games. your welcome to borrow it if you want. I never ended up finishing the game because I was only JUST starting to learn django and I concluded that the code was just a loving mess (the table layouts for the html didnt help either)

What I did was had a list of various machines that took multiple inputs and had multipe outputs, each machine would take a certain number of goods of type a and b, and poo poo out a certain number of x and maybe z. (Ie goods+waste). You could then hook the inputs and outputs together to create factories. So you might have a refiner that takes in iron ore and shits out iron, hook it to another machine that makes cogs and there might be a bunch of these machines that hook together to feed a spaceship engine plant, and these might then hook together with a chasis plant and a control systems plant to make a spacecraft. This could then be plugged into a plant that upgrades spaceships into a particular type of spaceship, and so on.

The game was supposed to be multiplayer, and the design of a factory would only be known to a player, but they could output the design to a blueprint that could be brought or sold and used with a "factory construction station" to build new ones, and so on. The players would know what individual devices do, but it would be up to them to work out how to hook it all up. It was a lot of fun to play with, but because I coded the game so crapily I lost interest in ever fixing it. Your welcome to use the idea as I think its a great mechanic.

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

I like that mechanic a lot. Armada is definitely too simple and board-game to work with it, but if I ever follow through with my dream of coding a modern spiritual successor to the Escape Velocity series, I will probably implement that sort of thing.

I did more UI work and some back end stuff - the page has a subtle background, map discovery/fog of war is working, the commodities now have icons and the cargo bay displays properly:

I'm teaching myself ajax/json so that the game can have simple animations and not require a page refresh for every action, now.

this catte fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 22, 2012

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

duck monster posted:

What I did was had a list of various machines that took multiple inputs and had multipe outputs, each machine would take a certain number of goods of type a and b, and poo poo out a certain number of x and maybe z. (Ie goods+waste). You could then hook the inputs and outputs together to create factories. So you might have a refiner that takes in iron ore and shits out iron, hook it to another machine that makes cogs and there might be a bunch of these machines that hook together to feed a spaceship engine plant, and these might then hook together with a chasis plant and a control systems plant to make a spacecraft. This could then be plugged into a plant that upgrades spaceships into a particular type of spaceship, and so on.
X3 used this mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

this catte posted:

I like that mechanic a lot. Armada is definitely too simple and board-game to work with it, but if I ever follow through with my dream of coding a modern spiritual successor to the Escape Velocity series, I will probably implement that sort of thing.

I did more UI work and some back end stuff - the page has a subtle background, map discovery/fog of war is working, the commodities now have icons and the cargo bay displays properly:

I'm teaching myself ajax/json so that the game can have simple animations and not require a page refresh for every action, now.

Just use jquery and feed it html chunks.

The web fonts really do make it look awesome btw. If anyone here hasn't got their head around google web-fonts, stop everything google it, and be amazed. Its a seriously awesome design tool.