Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I've been running my 4.0L 2008 V6 for a good 6 months on a 93 octane BAMA tune (yeah :rice: i know) and an FRPP intake. Lately (like, since its gotten freezing cold in NY and I gotta drive with the windows up) i think I'm noticing a "flapping" sound that becomes apparent at 3k-4k RPM. I'm having a hard time telling whether its the engine knocking or an exhaust leak...any pointers in differentiating between the two (I plan on dropping down to the 87 octane tune and seeing whether it makes it go away just in case the gas station I go to started being funny with its fuel)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

shodanjr_gr posted:

I've been running my 4.0L 2008 V6 for a good 6 months on a 93 octane BAMA tune (yeah :rice: i know) and an FRPP intake. Lately (like, since its gotten freezing cold in NY and I gotta drive with the windows up) i think I'm noticing a "flapping" sound that becomes apparent at 3k-4k RPM. I'm having a hard time telling whether its the engine knocking or an exhaust leak...any pointers in differentiating between the two (I plan on dropping down to the 87 octane tune and seeing whether it makes it go away just in case the gas station I go to started being funny with its fuel)?

It's almost assuredly winter mix fuel causing it. Drop the tune down to the 87 tune and you should be good.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

It's almost assuredly winter mix fuel causing it. Drop the tune down to the 87 tune and you should be good.

This would be a good place to start. If this fixes the issue, then he should really start looking at using a different 93 octane map.

If he really is leaning out, I'm guessing the intake is aggravating matters. What tune and tuner are you using shodanjr_gr? Are you able to load new maps onto the programmer? Are you using one of their tunes made for cars with CAI?

Do you have anymore custom tunes available to you from Bama? If you do, I would have them tweak the map a bit for you.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

FYI: BAMA was the shop popping '11+ 5.0 engines awhile back.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Really? I was considering a tune by them.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

poo poo, can you create your own tunes with their flasher, or do you need expensive software to do them?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yep, they were leaning it out and disabling the knock sensors, caused #8 cylinder to pop on enough cars that Ford tightened up their warranty.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

"Hurr I'm not sure what these knock sensors are so let's just turn them off and crank up the global timing!"

oRenj9 posted:

poo poo, can you create your own tunes with their flasher, or do you need expensive software to do them?

They just provide tunes for SCT/Diablo handhelds so you'll need expensive software to write your own tune. Any tuner out there should be able to write a tune for you using either the SCT (most common) or Diablo tuner.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I just dropped down to the 87 "street" tune...drove it for a few minutes and it sounded roughly the same. I'll report back after my commute tomorrow.

quote:

If he really is leaning out, I'm guessing the intake is aggravating matters. What tune and tuner are you using shodanjr_gr? Are you able to load new maps onto the programmer? Are you using one of their tunes made for cars with CAI?

It was a 93 octane "street" tune from BAMA (the "bundle" that AM sells along with CAIs from their site). They seem pretty thorough when they give out their pre canned tunes though...I recall having to fill in a pretty large questionnaire when getting mine listing a bunch of bolt-ons.

Honestly I haven't heard people complaining about their 4.0L/4.6L tunes and probably they've sorted out their 5.0 tune at this point (iirc I saw one of the BAMA/AM folks explicitly state that they allow knock sensors to take off timing on a 5.0).

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

kronix posted:

Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to even tell the difference between the cars just driving them around the neighborhood or doing a quick blast down the highway but sure, it's exactly the same as test driving the F150 :rolleyes: I'm sure dealers are going to be real quick to let you play with launch control or bounce off the rev limiter on a brand new car.

I'm not the type to EVER side with dealerships but in this case I will. The bottom line is if you're buying a Boss you know what you're buying. It's a better and badder Mustang GT. If you like the GT, you'll love the Boss. If you hate everything about the GT I'm not sure the Boss is really going to change your mind.

The dealer isn't obligated to let you test drive anything you want, especially something they feel they can sell it without anyone ever stepping foot in it. Try to sell a sports car on your own and you have to deal with assholes who just want to kick the tires and gently caress around in your car because they're bored and see how you feel. If you KNOW you'll buy the car offer to put down a deposit on your credit card (easier to get back if they give you poo poo). That'll almost always get them to reconsider. If you know deep down you're just loving around then don't bother

Special edition Mustangs are gold for Ford dealerships. There's a huge profit margin on them to begin with and they're almost always sold at or above MSRP. Special edition Mustang's are Ford's way of saying thank you to dealerships that sell lots of cars. The big dealerships that sell the most get more allocations, don't be surprised if they're protective of what might be the only 2012 model boss that will come onto the lot.
It is possible to get a Mustang at MSRP or lower, even a Boss 302 or GT500. Little known secret: Go get an application for a credit union, when you qualify for a car loan let the credit union find a car for you, you tell them what you want, and they go find it for you. A buddy of mine has been doing this for years.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

b0nes posted:

It is possible to get a Mustang at MSRP or lower, even a Boss 302 or GT500. Little known secret: Go get an application for a credit union, when you qualify for a car loan let the credit union find a car for you, you tell them what you want, and they go find it for you. A buddy of mine has been doing this for years.

Those guys, along with amex, costco etc, all seem to use the same referral system as truecar.com.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

b0nes posted:

That's actually really really great advice I hadn't even thought of that. What would happen if there's no car available in the area? Will they ship it for you?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

That's actually really really great advice I hadn't even thought of that. What would happen if there's no car available in the area? Will they ship it for you?

They arrange local pickup with a dealer in your area usually. USAA will ship it to you if your local dealer isn't interested in a no effort sale.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
I was reflecting earlier about the '13s coming out and how long we've actually been here being wowed by the numbers and design decisions coming down from Ford and I just have to say that it's a testament to the company's dedication to producing a good car at a good value to hold all of our attention for this long. I also appreciate being able to read the opinions of the informed here and so thanks not only to Ford for doing things right for so long, but thanks as well to all of yall for having enough care left in you to share your insight with the rest of us left to live vicariously through you.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

b0nes posted:

So how do you trade in your old car if you get your CU to find the new one for you?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

So how do you trade in your old car if you get your CU to find the new one for you?

I'm assuming they don't do that, it's up to you to sell it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Trading in cars in always seems to result in a loss of money for the convenience. If someone's smart enough to get financing through a credit union they're likely smart enough to not just do a trade in with their current vehicle.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Radiohead71 posted:

Thank you. I checked these out on tirerack and they seem decent. Will consider.

Call around and see if any firestone carry the ventus v12

http://slickdeals.net/f/3831958-You-pay-what-we-pay-tires-sale-at-firestone-on-01-28-12

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

So I just ponied up the cash for the FRPP tune installed at the dealership next week. Got it in writing that the warranty would be honored. Would've been done tomorrow, but the Mustang is staying put because the weather is going to be lovely tonight through saturday afternoon. Will be waiting until the weather is clear.

Anyways, hopefully I'll be posting some sort of a review after I get it done sometime next week.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

kronix posted:

So I just ponied up the cash for the FRPP tune installed at the dealership next week. Got it in writing that the warranty would be honored. Would've been done tomorrow, but the Mustang is staying put because the weather is going to be lovely tonight through saturday afternoon. Will be waiting until the weather is clear.

Anyways, hopefully I'll be posting some sort of a review after I get it done sometime next week.

Let me know if yours has this weirdness where the RPMs dip to almost-stall (if not stall) levels after a big throttle blip while stopped. Other than that, I love the FRPP tune. Quite a bit more noticeable torque.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Trying to decide what mods I want to buy with my bonus check next week. Thinking of the Boss Manifold + engine brace, a CAI, tune, and maybe http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=724&CategoryID=225&ModelID=35 or http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=857&CategoryID=225&ModelID=35.

Anyone have any inputs on this? Basically looking for the best all around bang for the buck.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

Trying to decide what mods I want to buy with my bonus check next week. Thinking of the Boss Manifold + engine brace, a CAI, tune, and maybe http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=724&CategoryID=225&ModelID=35 or http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=857&CategoryID=225&ModelID=35.

Anyone have any inputs on this? Basically looking for the best all around bang for the buck.

I would just do suspension stuff and skip the boss manifold, the losses down low, to me anyway aren't worth the gains above 6800 RPM. The CAI isn't really going to give you a whole lot of power, just a different sound. The tuner is where you'll notice the most.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Comrade Flynn posted:

If you lower the rear, you'll also need an adjustable panhard bar or your axle will shift quite a bit to the left. This puts extra wear on your bushings and stuff.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

optikalus posted:

If you lower the rear, you'll also need an adjustable panhard bar or your axle will shift quite a bit to the left. This puts extra wear on your bushings and stuff.

Hmm, really? I had thought the strano kits were pretty complete. I definitely want to do the suspension and lower the car as I can't stand the stock stance. Any suggestions on kits?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

Hmm, really? I had thought the strano kits were pretty complete. I definitely want to do the suspension and lower the car as I can't stand the stock stance. Any suggestions on kits?

This is what I want as soon as my wedding is over. It's a lot on the expensive side though.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2005_2012_MUSTANG_GT_COUPE_HANDLING_PACK_p/m-fr3-mgta.htm

Edit: You'll notice the panhard bar under "customers who bought this also bought..." section

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink

kronix posted:

This is what I want as soon as my wedding is over. It's a lot on the expensive side though.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2005_2012_MUSTANG_GT_COUPE_HANDLING_PACK_p/m-fr3-mgta.htm

Edit: You'll notice the panhard bar under "customers who bought this also bought..." section

I was looking at the Eibach Pro kit, but I was warned off by some people.
They said it made the handling kinda wonky. I am looking at the package above as well.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I thought the Ford stuff was a bit pricey for what you get?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Go big.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I thought the Ford stuff was a bit pricey for what you get?

In the Ford world that may be pricey, but in the rest of the tuning world that's a loving steal, I'm pretty jealous of that. The affordability of the aftermarket on Mustangs really makes me think hard about getting one as my next car.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Aww yeah the car and drive lightning lab was released and of course they had a total boner over the laguna seca.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2012-feature

the ultimate bench racers tool is here

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I got to drive a '65 at work today and started to get the appeal, it actually was a lot smaller feeling than it looked and was a decent example of a 'driver' level. Definitely a lot more manageable than my dad's old '70 Eliminator (I know its not the same but its basically my thoughts).

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

I got to drive a '65 at work today and started to get the appeal, it actually was a lot smaller feeling than it looked and was a decent example of a 'driver' level. Definitely a lot more manageable than my dad's old '70 Eliminator (I know its not the same but its basically my thoughts).

Many people are surprised at how small early Mustangs feel. To me, they feel just right.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

allonblack posted:

In the Ford world that may be pricey, but in the rest of the tuning world that's a loving steal, I'm pretty jealous of that. The affordability of the aftermarket on Mustangs really makes me think hard about getting one as my next car.

yeah those are pretty good deals from my point of view. for a wrx, a set of tokico d-specs is ~850 by themselves, without springs or anything.

it's my understanding that 05-10 suspension fits on a 2011+ as long as you use the older front top hats.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Just got my car delivered. Oh god, the Roush exhaust sounds amazing. The 3.73s are a little nutty but so far pretty fun.

Only drawback in the car is the low tire pressure warning is on, but all the tires seem fine. Guess it's a faulty sensor.

I had to take it to get it cleaned first thing since the deliver guy ran into a freak snowstorm in New Mexico:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Got the FRPP tune installed yesterday at the dealership and I have to say it's the way the car should've came from the factory. In 2nd gear at 30mph my Mustang is now a tire shredding machine. The rev hang at clutch in seems to be a lot shorter so faster shifts are easier. The throttle input is a lot different so I'm catching myself giving it too much gas taking off...oh well.

I know it's not the most aggressive tune but personally I can't imagine the extra 10 horsepower would do me any good and if they made the throttle any touchier it'd be annoying as gently caress to drive in first and second gear.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

kronix posted:

I know it's not the most aggressive tune but personally I can't imagine the extra 10 horsepower would do me any good and if they made the throttle any touchier it'd be annoying as gently caress to drive in first and second gear.

I have to drive a lot in stop-go traffic... as much as the stock tune sucks, it's good for that. Would the FRPP tune be too "jumpy"? I have the auto with 3.15 gears so that might help "soften" it.

Frankly, with the auto and 3.15s, this thing is really tame in first gear. It feels like the stock tune or whatever is holding a ton of power back. In 2nd and 3rd it pulls hard though.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 28, 2012

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Number_6 posted:

It feels like the stock tune or whatever is holding a ton of power back. In 2nd and 3rd it pulls hard though.

It is held back. Drive-by-wire throttle allows for all sorts of tricks like this. Many high-power cars limit torque in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear (the MS3 does this too, for example). It's so idiot drivers don't swing the rear end out and crash every time they mash the gas and pull out of a parking lot or something. Or, in the MS3, it's to reduce the torque steer from "herculean" to "bad." It probably also saves many transmissions from being blown up by these same idiot drivers.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

lazer_chicken posted:

It is held back. Drive-by-wire throttle allows for all sorts of tricks like this. Many high-power cars limit torque in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear (the MS3 does this too, for example). It's so idiot drivers don't swing the rear end out and crash every time they mash the gas and pull out of a parking lot or something. Or, in the MS3, it's to reduce the torque steer from "herculean" to "bad." It probably also saves many transmissions from being blown up by these same idiot drivers.

Is the FRPP tune also limited? My friend has one with the 3.83s and even with the FRPP it handles WOT in first gear without any issues even on the stock 235s. I always chalked it up to having a really awesome TC/rear suspension set up.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

Is the FRPP tune also limited? My friend has one with the 3.83s and even with the FRPP it handles WOT in first gear without any issues even on the stock 235s. I always chalked it up to having a really awesome TC/rear suspension set up.

My car is absolutely retarded in 1st and occasionally 2nd with the 3.73s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
What is AI's opinion on "tuner" Mustangs like Roush, SMS, Saleen and Steeda?