Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I assume that refers to the fact Alvarez is one of TNA's most vocal critics, and TNA is foolish enough to take that poo poo personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

MassRayPer posted:

WWE cut off their backstage access years ago,

Any particular reason why?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Meat Recital posted:

Any particular reason why?

Vince was always very love/hate with Meltzer. Dave was a former employee in the 80s (I think it was research, nothing on the creative side). As well Dave's mentioned that when Vince wants to work with you/wanted to go against WCW he would call him up and give information. I don't remember a WWE wrestler being on either the podcasts or WOL since the Invasion.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Vince was always very love/hate with Meltzer. Dave was a former employee in the 80s (I think it was research, nothing on the creative side). As well Dave's mentioned that when Vince wants to work with you/wanted to go against WCW he would call him up and give information. I don't remember a WWE wrestler being on either the podcasts or WOL since the Invasion.

The short version of why that happened in that time period is that they had a massive falling out over the creative direction of the Invasion that has never been patched up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Karmine posted:

Details please?

Just a joke, but I doubt he is popular in the TNA office.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Well, Jericho, Austin, Bret, Flair and Foley have all been on while under some form of WWE deal, and I'm pretty sure they've spoken to people under developmental deals on air too (Natalya comes to mind). But certainly no-one that would have to get the office to okay it or on active TV.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gaz-L posted:

Well, Jericho, Austin, Bret, Flair and Foley have all been on while under some form of WWE deal, and I'm pretty sure they've spoken to people under developmental deals on air too (Natalya comes to mind). But certainly no-one that would have to get the office to okay it or on active TV.

Austin is free to do whatever the hell he wants, and Jericho, Bret, Flair, and Foley were all interview during periods where they weren't in WWE, although some of them were in the process of coming back. I'm pretty sure Natalya's interview was before she was signed, although perhaps after it was obvious she was going to be at a near-term future date.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

MassRayPer posted:

Just a joke, but I doubt he is popular in the TNA office.

I suspect that not many people who review TNA would be.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Funny thing is that Alvarez goes to TNA house shows when they come to the Seattle area, and always raves about how much fun it is since they aren't doing anything for TV.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 22, 2012

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

:wirds:
This is pretty much what as said on the podcast, but you were more informative.

I don't pay attention to UFC so it's MMA implications didn't really enter my mind, I was more just shocked that this practice has apparently been documented and continues to happen and it's not a big deal apparently.

That's like Jack Daniels putting MDMA in their whiskey.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Funny thing is that Alvarez goes to TNA house shows when they come to the Seattle area, and always raves about how much fun it is since they aren't doing anything for TV.

He's always made it clear that his issue is mostly with Russo and the people who allow him to keep his job, and not really with TNA as a company. In fact, he's often strongly hinted that a lot of people he talks to in TNA share a lot of his criticisms and are well aware of the more ridiculous aspects of the product. It's just that those are not the people who are running the show.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Borh posted:

He's always made it clear that his issue is mostly with Russo and the people who allow him to keep his job, and not really with TNA as a company. In fact, he's often strongly hinted that a lot of people he talks to in TNA share a lot of his criticisms and are well aware of the more ridiculous aspects of the product. It's just that those are not the people who are running the show.

Not everything has to make sense. It's called "entertainment".

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Not everything has to make sense. It's called "entertainment".

Russo would later tell the New York Times: ‘There is one word that we start and end every conversation with: logic. Once you lose the logic of the situation, then you lose the realism and you lose the audience.”

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

Russo would later tell the New York Times: ‘There is one word that we start and end every conversation with: logic. Once you lose the logic of the situation, then you lose the realism and you lose the audience.”

This is my very favorite Russo quote.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

DKP Annual is now up for direct download for members. Download it asap if you have not.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HulkaMatt posted:

DKP Annual is now up for direct download for members. Download it asap if you have not.

Alan has said that it is free for all: he has a fileserve link up on his twitter.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

GoutPatrol posted:

Alan has said that it is free for all: he has a fileserve link up on his twitter.

Well then poo poo EVERYONE SHOULD PROBABLY DOWNLOAD IT.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's great, but I've got to warn you it's loving rough as guts in terms of punctuation and typos. :(

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Can someone explain Eamo's "Great Power of Uti" joke? I listened to it and didn't get it at all.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Capsaicin posted:

Can someone explain Eamo's "Great Power of Uti" joke? I listened to it and didn't get it at all.

The Great Power Uti is a semi-famous Nigerian wrestler who is best known from stories about him being an rear end in a top hat in Mick Foley's first book, and more recently on Colt Cabana's podcast.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Listening to the January 21 Wrestling Observer I noticed Dave going on and on and on about Japanese wrestling history and I let out a meak, "holy poo poo". I've heard him do it before but I don't know what made this instance stand out but, holy poo poo.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Capsaicin posted:

He didn't know who Great Power Uti was, so he said something along the lines of "Isn't that when Canada lost electricity?"

Canadians say "out" funny. Great Power Out-y. Uti. Out-y.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Why does CM Punk call himself an original character? :argh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Was that you? Interesting question. Call in shows are great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I felt embarrassed for Bryan and Dave.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You could tell they hung up on that dude right away.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LordPants posted:

Was that you? Interesting question. Call in shows are great.
No, I had no idea Dave still took calls and was thrilled when I listened today.

Call in shows are the best and it's a shame the subscription audience is largely very reasonable.
I love the nuts that called in the Eyada days and still call in to the LAW.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

No, I had no idea Dave still took calls and was thrilled when I listened today.

Call in shows are the best and it's a shame the subscription audience is largely very reasonable.
I love the nuts that called in the Eyada days and still call in to the LAW.

Why is Vince McMahon the way he is?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I couldn't find it on the site, has the awards issue been posted yet?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

I couldn't find it on the site, has the awards issue been posted yet?

Tomorrow!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Tomorrow!

Awesome, can't wait.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

Awesome, can't wait.

I'm guessing someone is gonna put up a thread for it?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm guessing someone is gonna put up a thread for it?
I'd rather see it kept in here.
Fans who don't follow the Observer seem to get really angry about mixing MMA and wrestling and then complain as if Dave chooses the winners instead of readers.

Maybe PSP is different/better than other places.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

We are literally better than all other places.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

We are literally better than all other places.

Seriously this is the only MMA/Prowrasslin board that isn't unreadable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I'd rather see it kept in here.
Fans who don't follow the Observer seem to get really angry about mixing MMA and wrestling and then complain as if Dave chooses the winners instead of readers.

That tends to happen here as well. I honestly never care about the awards. I skim them, maybe remember the funny ones but otherwise, eh. The Hall of Fame, that I care about.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

That tends to happen here as well. I honestly never care about the awards. I skim them, maybe remember the funny ones but otherwise, eh. The Hall of Fame, that I care about.

I always spent more time on the negative awards, personally. It's always fun to see who wins feud of the year/worst TV Show/etc.

I'm assuming it's pretty much a lock Punk ran away with wrestler of the year.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I always spent more time on the negative awards, personally. It's always fun to see who wins feud of the year/worst TV Show/etc.

I'm assuming it's pretty much a lock Punk ran away with wrestler of the year.

tanahashi probably

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Glitterbomber posted:

Seriously this is the only MMA/Prowrasslin board that isn't unreadable.

Especially for MMA. I'm pretty sure Sherdog, in their love of mixed martial arts decided to mix languages to create a hybrid language at which they speak in. Only way to explain their, "I can be pretentious about hugpunch" attitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

The Shaman of Cum posted:

tanahashi probably

I honestly don't see voters giving him a quarter of the votes that Punk grabs, even if he deserves it.

• Locked thread