Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

Yeah, I just finished up school and my girlfriend lives here. Also I just got a job at Audi today!

Nice! Too bad you have to sell the MS3 now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Nice! Too bad you have to sell the MS3 now!

Why would I have to do that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

Why would I have to do that?

Well you're working for Audi man!

When I sold cars at Dimension they pretty much strong-armed me into selling my Grand Cherokee.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Well you're working for Audi man!

When I sold cars at Dimension they pretty much strong-armed me into selling my Grand Cherokee.

Oh haha, none of the tech's I talked to drive an Audi. I don't think they expect us to be buying a $45,000 minimum car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

While I love my MS3 (hell, I'm going to tick over 100k on it in the next two weeks) I think I'd sell it in a hot second if I could get an employee discount on a TT RS (and, well, could afford it).

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

IOwnCalculus posted:

While I love my MS3 (hell, I'm going to tick over 100k on it in the next two weeks) I think I'd sell it in a hot second if I could get an employee discount on a TT RS (and, well, could afford it).

Agreed, but even after an employee discount, I wouldn't be even close to being able to afford any car that they make.

I got to work on an S8 today, my first day in the shop. Audi's V10 offering of the A8, costs just about $100,000. I thought that was pretty awesome.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 11, 2012

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wow, I don't come to AI often but even the few times I've been in I've missed this thread. 2007 MS3 Sport in Black Mica, checking in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

Agreed, but even after an employee discount, I wouldn't be even close to being able to afford any car that they make.

I got to work on an S8 today, my first day in the shop. Audi's V10 offering of the A8, costs just about $100,000. I thought that was pretty awesome.

Take a picture of one of those W12 engines if it comes through.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
RE: Gas mileage talk.

I've historically averaged about 24-25 mpg in my MS3.
I'm walking to work now and live closer to the city so the only driving I'm doing turns out to be pretty short trips in slow traffic. Along with the cooler weather I'm not getting that great of gas mileage. The worst part is the poor gas mileage isn't due to a lead foot! I don't want to beat on it when I know my oil isn't at its operating temp. :(

Just to show the spread that I've seen
code:
Miles	Gallons	Brand	Octane	Price/Gallon	Cost	MPG
332.5	11.052	Shell	93	3.999	        $44.20	30.085
194.7	6.068	Shell	93	3.679	        $22.32	32.086
179.8	9.899	Shell	93	3.299	        $32.66	18.163
79.6	3.892	Shell	93	3.299	        $12.84	20.452
In other news, I will need to buy new tires soon. I've still got the stock tires on from the PO, but they're getting pretty worn out (at 24k miles!).

I've been wanting to get a set of 17x8 RPF1s, but it just doesn't make sense financially unless I could find an angry spouse selling some wheels out from under their cheating boyfriend. I did find a guy locally listen the exact wheels I want for $650, but when I contacted him to see if they were ready to sell I was told that they were still on his car. His listing stated that they did not come with tires. When I asked when he would have them off and ready for sale I got a sketchy and vague answer and ceased contact.

So, I think I'll be going with a set of 225/40/R18 Continental ExtremeContact DWs (not to be confused with the DWS). Are there any other tires out there I should look at? Currently TireRack lists them at $166/tire. For whatever reason, Discount Tire is only listing the DWS in that size, and prices it at $157.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 11, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh god drat. I just spent eight hours replacing one strut. I don't see any way to get it out without a major risk of separating the halfshafts, and once that happens it takes forever to line it all up.

Letting a shop handle the rest. gently caress this.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Alright, so I am thinking there has to be some way that I can adjust the sensitivity for my factory alarm. Anything from diesels to fart cans on small cars will set it off. Does anyone know how to change it?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=200787.0

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's slick as hell and today I got the "your car is going sideways you idiot!" warning light on the dash for the first time. That was fun.

I have a question for though, does everyone else have violent resistance from the brake pedal when the ABS activates? I hit an icy patch and I had to fight with the pedal several times. I never had such experience in any other car before. Is this what modern ABS is like? Keep in mind my newest car prior to this was built in 1998.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think I've ever mashed the brakes hard enough to get ABS to activate, actually. I've certainly gotten that light plenty from romping on the throttle, though!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think I've ever mashed the brakes hard enough to get ABS to activate, actually. I've certainly gotten that light plenty from romping on the throttle, though!

I'mt not even mashing the pedal. It happened again on slush. I'm driving, tap the brakes and it's fights me a bit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I live in Phoenix, my car has never seen this "snow" or "slush" or even all that much rain. I get to run summers year-round (which means a new set every Christmas!).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I live in Phoenix, my car has never seen this "snow" or "slush" or even all that much rain. I get to run summers year-round (which means a new set every Christmas!).

I hate you so much right now. The main highway that runs through my town is currently shut down because of an overturned truck that according to the radio was transporting all the confiscated Meth the city had in storage, it was on it's way to be destroyed.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

charliebravo77 posted:

Holy poo poo, Cork Sport rear motor mount inserts are probably the best $35 you can spend on a MS3. I was skeptical at first but I'm really impressed, took a lot of clunk out of 1st and 2nd.

I feel the same, Cork Sport Rear engine motor mount was my first mod to my 2010 MS3. As a first mod I've ever done on a car it was a great introduction, not too hard to do and it def makes the car feel smoother shifting around 1st and 2nd.

Anybody have any suggestion the next mod to try?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I hate you so much right now. The main highway that runs through my town is currently shut down because of an overturned truck that according to the radio was transporting all the confiscated Meth the city had in storage, it was on it's way to be destroyed.

Ahaha that's hilariously awful. Free meth for everyone!

On a more MZR related note, I got two letters (in one envelope) from Mazda NA yesterday, talking about how my car is now covered under the SSB for the smoking turbo and another for VVT noise, up to seven years or 70k miles!

Too bad I'm ~150 miles past 100k :haw:

The first letter, discussing the smoking turbo, mentions that there are two possible fixes - one sounds like the PCV fix that was rumored like two years ago, and the other is turbo replacement. While I don't have any smoke at all, I'm going to have to order up a thermostat and some hoses soon; does anyone know what parts are in that PCV fix? I figure I might as well do that proactively.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I just got the SSB for the vvt and timing chain one. What MY does the smoking turbo SSB apply to?

SiB
May 6, 2005
I uploaded some photos for you guys showing the PCV fix parts... this kit DOES work, unless your turbo is too far gone. If you have an aftermarket turbo inlet or CAI, this kit won't work on your car without modification, check the photos and you will see.

http://imgur.com/a/qgq2i
sorry about a couple photos that are turned

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That actually looks like it might work with my Mazdaspeed/AEM CAI. That said, if it includes a new inlet pipe and all of that valvecover work...I'm betting this kit isn't cheap. :geno:

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

What year did new cars start coming this way?

SiB
May 6, 2005

SynMoo posted:

What year did new cars start coming this way?

With the PCV kit? None at all.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

So new cars are manufactured with the old style?

SiB
May 6, 2005
That is correct

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I've been looking at the 2012 MS3 and two other more or less comparable cars to replace my current car, which is getting a bit long in the tooth at this point. I live in an area where there's snow on the road for a significant portion of the year, so while I enjoyed the nicer interior and tremendous power of the MS3 when I tested it, I've been leaning away from the MS3 because of the lack of AWD and the potential for torque steer. I was able to generate a bit of torque steer during the test, but not very much due to traffic, so I don't feel that I have a very good sense of what it would be like on a day to day basis and/or when it really kicks in. I'd mostly be using the car for a daily driver, but I'd like to be able to take advantage of the performance from time to time without being worried about being pulled into the next lane if I don't have both hands on the wheel, and I saw probably three separate reviews online that suggested one hand wouldn't cut it.

I do really like the MS3, though, and the value proposition is excellent, so my question is, given the kind of daily, mostly highway use I'm thinking about (but with a fair amount of rain and snow in these parts), how concerned should I really be?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Torque steer shouldn't be a legitimate concern for everyday driving. You won't be pushing the car hard enough from every stop to induce torque steer. If you are going to tap into the power I can't imagine you wouldn't be driving without both hands. That said, the car doesn't turn into a demonic beast that you can't contain, you could easily hold unto the wheel with one hand and simply back off the throttle a bit.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I wouldn't be concerned at all... as long as you're aware that the car comes with summer only tires. I've got a second set of winter wheels and tires. Snow and ice are no problem. Just drive sensibly.

As far as torque steer, it's at its worst in first and second gear, but even still completely manageable with one hand once you're used to it. Full throttle on the highway produces nothing but great acceleration. 60-100 comes very quicky.

This car has been my daily driver for almost two years now. I do wish it were a little smoother over the bumps and a little quieter on the highway, but other than that I love it. The hatch is convenient and the back seats are comfortable. I completely forget about the bumps and noise when I mash the go-pedal or take a ridiculous turn. It's easy to live with every day, but there are cars that are easier.

Torque steer video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bq0FFsXpuI - with my hands off the wheel

Quoting myself for snow pics

SynMoo posted:

My Gen2 Snow Bitch

General Altimax Arctics on Gen1 17" Snowflakes

Click here for the full 598x800 image.

E: added my torque steer video

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 22, 2012

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Folderol posted:

I've been looking at the 2012 MS3 and two other more or less comparable cars to replace my current car, which is getting a bit long in the tooth at this point. I live in an area where there's snow on the road for a significant portion of the year, so while I enjoyed the nicer interior and tremendous power of the MS3 when I tested it, I've been leaning away from the MS3 because of the lack of AWD and the potential for torque steer. I was able to generate a bit of torque steer during the test, but not very much due to traffic, so I don't feel that I have a very good sense of what it would be like on a day to day basis and/or when it really kicks in. I'd mostly be using the car for a daily driver, but I'd like to be able to take advantage of the performance from time to time without being worried about being pulled into the next lane if I don't have both hands on the wheel, and I saw probably three separate reviews online that suggested one hand wouldn't cut it.

I do really like the MS3, though, and the value proposition is excellent, so my question is, given the kind of daily, mostly highway use I'm thinking about (but with a fair amount of rain and snow in these parts), how concerned should I really be?

I bought a 2012 MS3 one month ago, and I live in New Hampshire. For all the reviews talking about torque steer, I can only really get it if i stomp on the pedal while making like a 90 degree turn onto a road. If you're going around a gentle turn and give it some gas, you should have no problem reigning in the wheel. If you're going in a straight line like on the highway and you lay down on the accelerator, you're not going to see much, if any torque steer. You certainly aren't going to get wrenched into another lane.

If you do this while it's snowing out, maybe that's different, but you're not going to be doing that on the highway while it's covered in snow, you're going to be driving conservatively like a sane person. We've gotten quite a bit of snow lately, and it has performed just fine with a good set of snow tires on it. I would buy a second, smaller set of winter wheels though, 18" tires are too expensive! I was dicking around in a parking lot this weekend and the stability control also seems to do a pretty good job of keeping you in line. Keep in mind that if you're stuck and need to get moving, or up a really slick hill, you may want to have your tires spinning a little, and should be turning off traction control so you can actually do so.

What other cars are you looking at? What it boiled down to for me was that an MS3 was about 4k cheaper than a similarly equipped WRX (even more if you don't want the tech package, but these adaptive HIDs are soooo nice!). In addition, the MS3 interior was pretty nice, while the WRX interior was relatively cheap. If you can hold out for another year, the WRX should be updated to be based off the new imprezas, which are much nicer inside. Unfortunately, my car died and I needed a new one now, so I had to choose from what was available now.

edit: putting in another vote for altimax arctics, I've got a set on 16" wheels that i bought as a package off tirerack. They're rebranded gislaved nordfrost3's

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 22, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't see why the lack of AWD would be an issue, the vast majority of cars on the market don't have AWD. If you live in some place where it actually snows, get a set of snow tires on some regular Mazda3 17" wheels.

The torque steer isn't that big of a deal either, you get used to how it handles. I've got 100k on my '07 and the torque steer on it is a lot worse than the new cars.

Edit: The computer prevents you from doing anything monumentally retarded. Stand on the gas with the wheel cranked and you get very little boost, or throttle for that matter.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 22, 2012

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Many thanks everyone for all of the feedback! The value proposition is really great with the MS3, the performance is obviously great, and though it's not my first priority, the interior and feel were nicer than the main alternative, so I'm encouraged now to go do another test drive later today.

I do live in a place where it actually snows, and clumpy buildup on the highways can make for a slow, white-knuckled and slippery commute shared with long haul trucks, so stability is a real issue and many people here prefer AWD for that reason. But if the MS3 is OK for New Hampshire then it would work here for sure, so I feel a little better that just snow tires would be a sufficient winter drive solution.

Viper915 posted:

What other cars are you looking at? What it boiled down to for me was that an MS3 was about 4k cheaper than a similarly equipped WRX (even more if you don't want the tech package, but these adaptive HIDs are soooo nice!). In addition, the MS3 interior was pretty nice, while the WRX interior was relatively cheap. If you can hold out for another year, the WRX should be updated to be based off the new imprezas, which are much nicer inside. Unfortunately, my car died and I needed a new one now, so I had to choose from what was available now.

I was hesitant to mention the competition, given the thread title, but yes, the WRX is the main other possibility, and my reservations are the same as yours were. I do take care of my old jalopy, so it's not on the verge of death and I could theoretically wait until the 2013s come out, but I've been thinking about replacing it for at least the last 6 months or so, and I'm getting impatient at this point.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I still can't get over how monumentally ugly the 2nd gen seats are compared to the Alcantara covered bliss of the 1st gen GT.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

We went for a second test drive of the MS3 today. I tried hard to get some torque steer (and essentially couldn't, even mashing the accelerator from a standstill), did curves, bumps, hard stops etc. Great fun, and I am feeling much better about this option. Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

I still can't get over how monumentally ugly the 2nd gen seats are compared to the Alcantara covered bliss of the 1st gen GT.

Why hasn't Mazda realized this? Or is it just a matter of trying to keep the price down?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone else get this letter? Gonna bring my car in sometime this week.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

air- posted:

Yes, I got the letter for my 2008.5. Mine's thankfully not making noise.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Love my seats. So so much. Don't know how they screwed up so badly.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

air- posted:

Can someone rehost? That stupid forum wants me to register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Can someone rehost? That stupid forum wants me to register.

It's the same ones I got last week and lol'd about since I was over 70k miles a year ago. One is for VVT/timing chain noise, the other is for smoking turbos. Coincidentally, I have neither problem on my '07.

http://angrywaffles.net/ai/ssp86.pdf
http://angrywaffles.net/ai/ssp%2087.pdf

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 23, 2012