Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's the same ones I got last week and lol'd about since I was over 70k miles a year ago. One is for VVT/timing chain noise, the other is for smoking turbos. Coincidentally, I have neither problem on my '07.

http://angrywaffles.net/ai/ssp86.pdf
http://angrywaffles.net/ai/ssp%2087.pdf

Huh. No smoking on my 08.5, but I have noticed what sounds like the VVT rattle, but only a few times and it was after a really long drive when the motor was hot. Only has happened a handful of times though. Hopefully if it does get worse it happens before 70k!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That said, because my car has decided to become evil in its high-mileage age, it popped an airbag light on me yesterday. Went off on the way home though and so far hasn't come back on. Finally time to give the dealership some $$$, I suppose.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Are there any videos demonstrating the vvt noise?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Iiiiineteresting, just noticed the letter specifically says only federal emissions vehicles are covered for the smoking turbo. Was something different with CA emissions models? I got mine in PA, but it has CA emissions.

e: looking it up, yup, PA seems to do the CA thing now

States adopting the California standards include Arizona (2012 model year),[1] Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.

SiB
May 6, 2005
The VVT noise is usually heard at startup, especially if the car has been sitting for awhile. It is a very loud, ratcheting sound, lasts for only a couple seconds. If it's bad enough it will set camshaft timing codes. And if its really really bad it will destroy your pretty little engine.

Next time I get one in i'll get an iphone video.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd appreciate it, though I'm glad to hear that it's normally quite loud and thus probably pretty drat obvious / not something that will creep up on you without you noticing until your precious DISI is in shards.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Oh god, it's horrible.
:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4nDnATfltE

SiB
May 6, 2005
That engine is junk! Send it to the crusher!!

Here is a good video for the noise.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coZLPXJ-PhA

EDIT: This one is a bit better yet, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq4QbjKLQGg

SiB fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 24, 2012

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
So it's considered universally bad to hear that VVT noise. How can it be bad for the engine?

SiB
May 6, 2005

Sublime Process posted:

So it's considered universally bad to hear that VVT noise. How can it be bad for the engine?

Well it will cause the timing chain to fail eventually, then considering its an interference fit engine, the pistons will hit the valves. Who knows what damage will be done at that point. Best case scenario, rebuilt cylinder head and new timing chain and such. Worst case scenario, damaged cylinder walls, unrepairable head, maybe it will even shoot a piece of a valve into the turbo? Its definitely not an issue to ignore!

I had a CX7 that broke the chain, the cylinder head was repaired and reinstalled and all is well. But what caused it? Lack of oil changes, there was enough sludge in the oil that it blocked off the oil passage to the VVT solenoid, VVT failed due to lack of oil, broke the chain and the poo poo storm ensued.

One of the most important things on a DISI motor is frequent oil changes. Here in the drat arctic we have so much idle time, horrible.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

SiB posted:

That engine is junk! Send it to the crusher!!

Here is a good video for the noise.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coZLPXJ-PhA

EDIT: This one is a bit better yet, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq4QbjKLQGg
that second one has me wondering if I need to pay closer attention at the next cold startup. I would say the first 1-2 seconds of my MS6 sound identical, but after that it seems to make an okay sound like you'd expect on a cold start. My odo is at about 65k too, so I'll need to make sure soon. I've never had the smoking turbo issue, though I've always kept an eye out for it since owning the car.

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice
After reading through this thread and researching my other options online, I bought a MS6 about 2 months ago with ~55k miles. The car has been amazing to drive, the available power just blows me away.

However, this weekend I was driving through some mountains to Snowshoe, WV when I started hearing a whooshing air sound while accelerating. The sound quickly got louder and I noticed a distinct lack of power, almost like I had no boost. I could jam on the accelerator to attempt to get up a hill with no response at all, except a louder whooshing. The car would still run slowly.

I had the car towed to a garage in my parent's city and I'm now about 2 hours away. The mechanic pulled a Random/Multiple Misfire code and suspects plugs/coilpacks, which might explain the drop in power but the whooshing sound?

I don't know very much about the engine, but has anyone experienced or heard about something like this before?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably just had one of the intake hoses pop off somewhere. If you're unlucky you might've had one actually rupture.

Do coilpacks actually go bad on these things? The misfire code might be secondary to a massive air leak.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Ya its probably one of the intercooler hoses. Misfire could definitely be part of that.

Coilpack issues are very rare.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
If you're hearing a wooshing noise and losing power, I would suspect that an intake line on the pressurized side of the turbo has come loose. If it was before the turbo, your MAF wouldn't work properly and the car would probably (?) run very rich, I think. Either way, you would lose power, but I would lean towards the former explanation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the timing chain and turbo recalls, would the rattle set of a CEL? Because mine came on today on the drive home.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So the timing chain and turbo recalls, would the rattle set of a CEL? Because mine came on today on the drive home.
There are a million things that can set a CEL off. You're better off by going to either a Checker/O'Reilly or Autozone and getting them to pull the code with an OBD reader. If I recall the amount of miles you have on your car right it's probably a P0401 insufficient EGR code. If it is, then you may as well give your car the middle finger. Most MZR's of our vintage will drop the EGR at 50-60K miles. You can either buy a new one for ~$350, or clean your current one which will last a while and eventually come on again. I tried to clean mine which worked a month or so. Now my car will have the light on about half of the time. A bad EGR will not effect your car/performance in any way. I plan on doing the james barone block off kit and get a dashhawk/ Cobb AP to clear the light. Not cheap, but a permanent fix to a stupid headache.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm about to hit 36K, could it really be that? Ugh. I'm hearing the rattle when I start the car in the cold so I'm taking it in to Mazda tomorrow. I'll have them check it while it's there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A bad EGR is arguably a good thing for your intake valves, anyway.

I cleaned mine and so far it hasn't come back. Make sure to clean both the tube and the valve, I had a decent bit of crud built up in both, but in particular the valve - it was pretty sticky to operate when I took it off. Berryman Chemtool took that poo poo off no problem, and probably only gave me a little cancer in the process.

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Speaking of codes, I've been throwing P2096's randomly - running too lean. Funny thing though, my car is still running soooooo rich. When I get on the gas I can leave a cloud of black smoke behind me ala Spy Hunter style.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Your front O2 is dying, then. The O2 is reporting lean so the computer keeps adding fuel, but the O2 keeps reporting lean. Eventually when the computer adds enough fuel that it should be drat near flooding out, it throws the code.

My LS1 did this and it richened itself so far that it would just about spit fuel out of the left tailpipe.

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Your front O2 is dying, then. The O2 is reporting lean so the computer keeps adding fuel, but the O2 keeps reporting lean. Eventually when the computer adds enough fuel that it should be drat near flooding out, it throws the code.

My LS1 did this and it richened itself so far that it would just about spit fuel out of the left tailpipe.

Man, isn't that like $300+ part. I'm tempted to just get an AP and clear it for good.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
What makes the suspension in my MS6 squeak and creak when it gets cold? Like really loving loud and almost embarrassing. Did a quick search but all the Mazda specific forums seem to be throwing out tons of idiot ideas.

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice

SiB posted:

Ya its probably one of the intercooler hoses. Misfire could definitely be part of that.

Thanks for the information guys. I convinced the mechanic that the misfires weren't plug/coilpack related and got him to drive the car some and actually hear the whooshing noise. He agrees it's turbo related.

Unfortunately, all of the hoses check out. The mechanic wants to replace the turbo. His parts source (a dealer) is way overpriced. I found several options online. Would something like this Turbo Part come with everything required for the replacement?

Thanks again, lots of great information in this thread!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Black Is Black posted:

Man, isn't that like $300+ part. I'm tempted to just get an AP and clear it for good.

You really don't want to gently caress with that. Replace the o2 and watch the car lean out to something more normal.

Jobert posted:

Thanks for the information guys. I convinced the mechanic that the misfires weren't plug/coilpack related and got him to drive the car some and actually hear the whooshing noise. He agrees it's turbo related.

Unfortunately, all of the hoses check out. The mechanic wants to replace the turbo. His parts source (a dealer) is way overpriced. I found several options online. Would something like this Turbo Part come with everything required for the replacement?

Find a different mechanic. A blown turbo would be spewing oil everywhere. If all, and I do mean all, of the hoses and hose clamps check out, I would look at the bypass valve or maybe the wastegate.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jobert posted:

Seriously, take it to somebody who knows the first thing about these cars. It sounds like he just wants to throw parts at it.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Maybe the intercooler is split? Or the BOV is stuck open? Who knows, could be a lot of things.

I had a turbo make a pop sound, then have a high pitch whine any time it was running, oddest thing I have see with these turbos. It only had 100 miles on it also.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

SiB posted:

Maybe the intercooler is split? Or the BOV is stuck open? Who knows, could be a lot of things.

I had a turbo make a pop sound, then have a high pitch whine any time it was running, oddest thing I have see with these turbos. It only had 100 miles on it also.

Anti-lag, my good man. :v:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
bad turbo usually makes a pretty high pitch squealing sound because the bearings are trashed and allow the wheels to contact the housings. you could pull off the intake and check the wheel for play.

Black Is Black posted:

that's really not going to do anything to correct the problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dropped the car off at Mazda to have the rattle inspection done and they're gonna check the code for me while it's there. Hopefully it's nothing horrible as I am broke as poo poo right now.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Dropped the car off at Mazda to have the rattle inspection done and they're gonna check the code for me while it's there. Hopefully it's nothing horrible as I am broke as poo poo right now.

Low miles... are you under warranty?

You've already pretty much been told what your problem is here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

Low miles... are you under warranty?

You've already pretty much been told what your problem is here.

I had the EGR checked at my 30K service (as recommendeded here) and it was fine. I a still under warranty.

Edit: They just called. The car was running a bit rich but the EGR was fine. He showed that I'd had the carbon build up cleaned out at 30K like I thought. They're going to "retune it" back to stock I guess and that should be it. My car did not have either of the Warranty extension issues.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 26, 2012

SiB
May 6, 2005
"retune it" WTF is that supposed to mean? Clear the code and unhook the battery for 5 minutes? Make sure you get the actual code and post it here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SiB posted:

"retune it" WTF is that supposed to mean? Clear the code and unhook the battery for 5 minutes? Make sure you get the actual code and post it here.

I plan to. I would have run straight to Autozone last night but the roads were messy as hell and since I was going in for the warranty check anyways I figured I'd just wait til today.

Edit: Just got off the phone with them again.

They think I'm using an AccessPort and that my tuning is what's causing it to run rich. I am not, I don't even own one but regardless they reflashed the ECU back to stock. The CLE came back on after they did that so they check the EGR again, cleaned the carbon build up and the CLE went away. Wouldn't the EGR code have come up the first time? Now I'm wondering if they ever cleaned it properly the first time.
I called back to talk to the service manager and it sounds like the guy doing the work on my car is new to the department.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 26, 2012

SiB
May 6, 2005
Gotcha. There is the odd PCM update for certain CELs, so maybe that is what they mean. The scan tool won't let you do much as far as programming is concerned. Just updates that may apply.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Jobert posted:

I'm still not totally convinced that you don't have a boost leak. I came across this thread HERE on the Mazda 6 club forum a while ago to check out if you have a boost leak. Apparently our cars are prone to leak, particularly from the factory BOV. It may be worth a shot to look at. Also, thinking a waste gate is stuck is something else to think about. Finding boost leak would be a lot less involved and more likely, however.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You really don't appreciate how many possible places there are for precious boostus to leak out until you tear the intake side of one of these engines apart (i.e. if you ever clean your own EGR, among other repairs). It's hardly a FD RX7 rat's nest...but it's still pretty goddamn tight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So 3000 miles ago I was busy so I had a nearby shop do an oil change. I find out today that they didn't change the oil filter. This is why we do everything ourselves right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

So 3000 miles ago I was busy so I had a nearby shop do an oil change. I find out today that they didn't change the oil filter. This is why we do everything ourselves right?
If I have to use a shop, I always ask to see the old filter. I would imagine that could piss them off if they have to pull it out of the bin of oil they just dropped it into, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh I will always do that from now on. The Mazda dealer said they put in the wrong type of oil as well.

So I picked the car up, it ended up being a bad throttle body and not the EGR itself. After they put it all back together they did hear the timing chain rattle so they went ahead and did that work as well. The car is now running like new.