Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Match of the year will be interesting. Punk/Cena was five snowflakes, but they really hosed everything up with that in terms of post match angles. But Taker/Hunter was in front of a huge crowd so who knows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

That tends to happen here as well. I honestly never care about the awards. I skim them, maybe remember the funny ones but otherwise, eh. The Hall of Fame, that I care about.
I can't get enough of arguing about Sting.
He's never getting in. :wcw:

I'm curious if somebody finally beats Danielson for Most Outstanding Wrestler.
If it's going to happen before his obvious decline years, it really should be the year he worked 2 PPV matches outside of the Royal Rumble match and cashing in on Big Show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If he does get beaten, my money is on one of the New Japan Junior Heavyweights (Ibushi, Richards or Devitt)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I was very disappointed that Alvarez didn't go into detail about Cena's angry close-up.

At least the LAW guys found it hilarious.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LordPants posted:

If he does get beaten, my money is on one of the New Japan Junior Heavyweights (Ibushi, Richards or Devitt)

I could really see Devitt taking it this year.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I honestly don't see voters giving him a quarter of the votes that Punk grabs, even if he deserves it.

That's because voters are dumb. Hopefully enough people listened to Alan's shows to see why Punk doesn't deserve it.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I can't get enough of arguing about Sting.
He's never getting in. :wcw:

Good.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
My guess for Flair/Thesz finish would be:

1.) Punk (in a landslide)
2.) Richards
3.) Tanahashi
4.) Devitt
5.) Cena

Realistically, Cena should win it, but he has next to no chance.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

jeffersonlives posted:

My guess for Flair/Thesz finish would be:

1.) Punk (in a landslide)
2.) Richards
3.) Tanahashi
4.) Devitt
5.) Cena

Realistically, Cena should win it, but he has next to no chance.

Guesses for most outstanding? Obviously, this is open to anyone! Feel free to chime in with any awards thoughts!

TNA will win worst promotion, I'm stumped on Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic, and Punk will probably win best gimmick.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Guesses for most outstanding?

Richards, Danielson, Punk, Devitt, and I can't think of an obvious fifth off the top of my head.

I suspect TWITTER TWEET TWEET TWITTER TRENDING poo poo will win promotional tactic.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I'm stumped on Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic,

Maybe all the TNA Knockouts calling each other sluts all the time?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Does Matt Hardy promoting himself via fake suicide note count? Because that would be my vote.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

observer forums seemed to be putting their votes for some lucha dude's fake cancer to get more ticket buys

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Oatgan posted:

Does Matt Hardy promoting himself via fake suicide note count? Because that would be my vote.

Given that all it really ended up promoting was a series of arrests and a failed trip to rehab I'd guess it doesn't count but who knows.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

TNA sending out Jeff Hardy at Victory Road is by far the most disgusting promotional tactic.

Blatant disregard for the safety of their workers and staggering incompetence by not replacing him in the hours between finding out Jeff showed up high and the main event.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I voted for the fake cancer thing, because that's pretty hosed up.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Must have missed the fake cancer thing - can someone summarize or give a link?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Must have missed the fake cancer thing - can someone summarize or give a link?

Here's the post from THE BOARD

quote:

It won't win because Meltzer didn't cover it but Perro Aguayo Jr. faked cancer to draw a big crowd for the Perros Anniversary Show in May. The idea being it was a cage match Clowns vs Perros and Perrito was in the match so him announcing cancer meant more fans would think he might lose since he'd have to lose his hair during radiation anyways. He didn't lose. He never had cancer. Show drew well.

If that isn't the definition of most disgusting promotional tactic I'm not really sure what is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

TNA sending out Jeff Hardy at Victory Road is by far the most disgusting promotional tactic.

Blatant disregard for the safety of their workers and staggering incompetence by not replacing him in the hours between finding out Jeff showed up high and the main event.

I wish I bothered to vote because it is really disgusting and even more disgusting that TNA brought him back with the storyline they did.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lloyd Boner posted:

Here's the post from THE BOARD

drat. Thanks for the answer.

It'd be hard to choose between that and a hosed up Jeff Hardy putting his opponent in incredible danger by being in the ring in his condition.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

drat. Thanks for the answer.

It'd be hard to choose between that and a hosed up Jeff Hardy putting his opponent in incredible danger by being in the ring in his condition.

Luckily, Sting is only an idiot in character and made sure there wasn't going to be much of a match.

Honestly, what Jeff Hardy did I've heard of many wrestlers doing. Hawk popping a bunch of pills in front of his mouth and smiling about it before going out to the ring high as a drat kite and nearly falling asleep is just as bad.

The cancer one though... that's a new one! (Probably not)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Was the Aguayo cancer thing ever confirmed as phony? I remember there being a lot of skepticism that it was actually a drug thing and not cancer, but never anything concrete.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Daily Update posted:

The next UWF PPV debuts on March 25th and will be titled RUTHLESS REVENGE. Vinny and I will have a full review of THUG ASSASSINS tonight on the B&V Show.

:woop: :911: :woop:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Oh man, I can't wait. I was going to order Thug Assassins but forgot about it.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Awards not out yet, but I thought I'd throw up all the categories, with some thoughts here and there. I'm just thinking out loud, so feel free to join in!

LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD
Punk is gonna win this. Tanahashi might grab second or third. Maybe Cena will place, too?

MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER
Probably Danielson or Davey, Devitt or Tanahashi could place.

MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER

BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW

FEUD OF THE YEAR
Davey vs Eddie?

TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR
Eh... would have been Kings if Claudio didn't join FCW. My personal favorite this year is Sekimoto and Okabayashi, but Bad Intentions might take it. If not, gotta be the Briscoes.

MOST IMPROVED
I say Barrett, but Henry will probably win.

BEST ON INTERVIEWS
Punk.

MOST CHARISMATIC

BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER
Davey or Danielson?

BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD
No clue. Is Makabe still brawling like a motherfucker? I guess you could say Steen here.

BEST FLYING WRESTLER
Pac or Ibushi. Maybe Ricochet will get some support. I could see a lot of people voting Bourne, though.

MOST OVERRATED
I'm thinking people will vote Cena here. If not, Sin Cara.

MOST UNDERRATED

PROMOTION OF THE YEAR

BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW

PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR
Cena/Punk will probably take it.

MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
This is tough. Who qualifies as a rookie? Little Hashimoto?

BEST NON WRESTLER
Someone from WWE - Vickie or Ricardo.

BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER

WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER
Michael Cole.

BEST MAJOR SHOW
Something from PWG would get my pick, or maybe ROH's Best in the World, but Money in the Bank might get it.

WORST MAJOR SHOW
TNA something or other

BEST WRESTLING MANOEUVRE

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC

WORST TELEVISION SHOW
TNA Impact

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR

WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR

WORST PROMOTION

BEST BOOKER
Whoever gets credit for PWG.

PROMOTER OF THE YEAR

BEST GIMMICK

WORST GIMMICK

BEST WRESTLING BOOK

BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't see how Danielson could win most outstanding wrestler this year, I can't remember one truly great match he had. Maybe he'll win it just by his reputation, but WWE hasn't been using him to his potential at all in ring.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

I don't see how Danielson could win most outstanding wrestler this year, I can't remember one truly great match he had. Maybe he'll win it just by his reputation, but WWE hasn't been using him to his potential at all in ring.

I'm going on reputation, yeah. I don't think he's had the year any number of guys have had, both in North America and Japan.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Oh god I cannot order Hood Assassins fast enough. Why is payday so far away?

"Rasche Brown is now dead, what does this mean for the title?"

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

MOST IMPROVED
I say Barrett, but Henry will probably win.

I like Barrett a lot, and Henry is awesome, but I would give this to Ziggler hands down.

quote:

BEST ON INTERVIEWS
Punk.

And this one, though I guess not many would agree, to Mark Henry. Punk had The One Great Promo, but since then he's been very hit or miss. Henry, while he's not as flashy in his promo style, when it comes to old school, make me actually believe this dude is gonna kick the other dude's rear end and to want to see it, and do it in 2 minutes or less, is the best in the business right now.

Alternatively, just give it to the Briscos.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Borh posted:

I like Barrett a lot, and Henry is awesome, but I would give this to Ziggler hands down.

See to me, Ziggler didn't so much improve, but got the opportunity to show off more. That's how I looked at it, and that's why I go with Barrett. When Barrett first got to the main stage, he was a good promo, had pretty good presence, and was kinda lackluster in the ring. But he's been getting better in ring each and every week, and he's really developing the aura of a star.

And Henry wouldn't be a terrible choice for best promo - not really my cup of tea, but it isn't wrong to suggest it. Jay Briscoe has been loving great lately as well, and Steen has been pretty drat good.

Archibald Peck should win best gimmick, obviously.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

See to me, Ziggler didn't so much improve, but got the opportunity to show off more.

That's some of it, but not the whole story. I remember back when Ziggler was on Smackdown, he got a fair amount of TV time, with the chance to work some good, long matches. He even got the trademark Smackdown mid-card push, where they actually do a competent job of pushing an up-and-coming guy, and when he gets over they promptly draft him to Raw where he rots away for months working dark matches or Superstars.

Anyway, I think most of us watching back then saw potential in Ziggler, and thought he showed a lot of promise, but he was nowhere near as good as he is now, where he's clearly one of the top in-ring guys in the company. His promos have also improved a lot, and the last few months of 2011 were the time when he finally began to flesh out a character for himself, and create a gimmick and a personality that work for him, instead of just playing a character they give him. He really matured and developed as a wrestler by a huge amount in 2011, even if he was already pretty good before.

On the other hand, I do agree with everything you said about Barrett, so that would be my second choice.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Dinosaurs died during this segment!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Tanahashi winning Wrestler of the Year is buys.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

Tanahashi winning Wrestler of the Year is buys.

I'm genuinely surprised, and frankly a little perplexed given New Japan's relegation to what is essentially an indy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Results are in! (I've only listed the winners)

LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD
Tanahashi

MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER
GSP

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER
Davey Richards

MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER
Bones Jones

BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW
The Rock

FEUD OF THE YEAR
Punk vs Cena

TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR
Giant Bernard & Karl Anderson

MOST IMPROVED
Ziggler

BEST ON INTERVIEWS
Punk.

MOST CHARISMATIC
The Rock

BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER
Daniel Bryan

BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD
Steen

BEST FLYING WRESTLER
Ricochet

MOST OVERRATED
Crimson

MOST UNDERRATED
Ziggler

PROMOTION OF THE YEAR
UFC

BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW
Smackdown

PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR
Cena/Punk (MiTB)

MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR
Henderson vs Shogun (Nov 19)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Daichi Hashimoto

BEST NON WRESTLER
Ricardo Rodriguez

BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER
Joe Rogan

WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER
Michael Cole.

BEST MAJOR SHOW
WWE Money In The Bank

WORST MAJOR SHOW
TNA Victory Road

BEST WRESTLING MANOEUVRE
Ricochet's Double flip moonsault

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC
WWE working with Be A Star while bullying JR on air

WORST TELEVISION SHOW
TNA Impact

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR
Sting vs Jeff Hardy

WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR
Triple H vs Nash

WORST PROMOTION
TNA

BEST BOOKER
Gedo & Jado

PROMOTER OF THE YEAR
Dana White

BEST GIMMICK
Punk

WORST GIMMICK
Michael Cole

BEST WRESTLING BOOK
Undisputed by Chris Jericho

BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD
Bret vs Shawn

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Jado & Gedo finally getting credit is also buys.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Kind of a bummer that the best draw only appeared on like a half dozen shows all year, but I guess that's just how much of a draw he was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Technically, he only really drew one big house, Mania. SS didn't do that great. I suppose you could credit him with the bump in ratings last spring, but that was more the idea of him being back given how little he actually appeared.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I realize that the official name is "Best Box Office Draw" but are PPV buys also considered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Karmine posted:

I realize that the official name is "Best Box Office Draw" but are PPV buys also considered?

Yeah I think it just refers to overall $$$ made.

• Locked thread