Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I sold my Droid Bionic, and the phone I purchased to replace it isn't going to show up for a day or two. But I have to meet the dude to give him my phone tomorrow.

I'm assuming I need to walk into the Verizon store or call customer service to figure this out. But does anyone know if it's possible to just un-associate this phone with my account so I can give it to the guy and then when I get the other phone goto the Verizon store and have them turn it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

soy posted:

I sold my Droid Bionic, and the phone I purchased to replace it isn't going to show up for a day or two. But I have to meet the dude to give him my phone tomorrow.

I'm assuming I need to walk into the Verizon store or call customer service to figure this out. But does anyone know if it's possible to just un-associate this phone with my account so I can give it to the guy and then when I get the other phone goto the Verizon store and have them turn it on?

Can't you just pull out your SIM, and that's all it takes? That is all I have done when selling an old phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

Can't you just pull out your SIM, and that's all it takes? That is all I have done when selling an old phone.

Verizon only uses sims for lte

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

Verizon only uses sims for lte

Yeah, but he said he was selling a Bionic so there should be a SIM to remove.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

Yeah actually, there is a SIM card. Is that it? Well, that's easy.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

That's exactly what I'd do. Yank the SIM from the Bionic and keep it safe. The plan works fine as long as the new phone does 4G as well. It may not work so well if the new phone uses a MicroSIM, however.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

But the sim is only for the lte service. The device is still activated via its esn for voice and evdo.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

soy posted:

I had a guy trying to sell a Razr trying to do the exact same thing. I talked to Verizon for him and they said they could put a dummy ESN on the account, but then he balked and kept saying he thought it was as simple as him pulling his sim out and me putting my SIM in and he could only sell it to me if we literally only did that.

I walked away from the sale, saying sorry you're afraid of technology buddy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

But the sim is only for the lte service. The device is still activated via its esn for voice and evdo.

Even CDMA activation is handled through the LTE sim on Verizon's network. Yes, they can still ID a phone by its ESN, but CDMA auth is handled through the CSIM module on the SIM card.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4240/htc-thunderbolt-review-first-verizon-4g-lte-smartphone/3

quote:

While we're talking about SIMs, Verizon's is technically both a CSIM and USIM. CDMA credentials are on the SIM (CSIM) as well as the credentials for LTE (USIM). The way the term SIM is abused lately for anything resembling one will likely continue, but if you're going to be pedantic, it's really both. Anyhow, as a result, you can finally swap devices on Verizon without having to call support, give them an ESN, and wait for routing tables to switch everything over. I haven't personally tried it since I don't have two Thunderbolts, but Verizon does advertise this is as a notable feature that finally brings full device portability. This is a huge feature if you intend to swap between devices a lot.

Basically, you pull the SIM card, that phone can't possibly auth to your account on either network.

This is also why you can swap 4g phones all day long by just popping the SIM between devices, but if you want to fall back to a 3G device, you have to call up CS. They basically have to switch your account back.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 24, 2012

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
Could a plain-old GSM SIM be used in something like a Droid 4?

I'm assuming they'd have one SIM to handle the LTE, CDMA, and GSM services (if it indeed has a GSM radio in it), but I'm curious if a regular old pre-paid GSM SIM could be used for us cheapskate travelers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jake Gittes posted:

Could a plain-old GSM SIM be used in something like a Droid 4?

I'm assuming they'd have one SIM to handle the LTE, CDMA, and GSM services (if it indeed has a GSM radio in it), but I'm curious if a regular old pre-paid GSM SIM could be used for us cheapskate travelers.

I don't think anyone can answer until they become available and their global roaming capabilities are enabled.

We're in uncharted territory here. It's possible that the phones will completely refuse to activate without the CSIM module that's provided on Verizon's LTE sim. They may "just work" though once they are unlocked like current global phones.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thankfully the dude told me he couldn't meet up today, so I won't have to deal with any weirdness. I'm switching to an Iphone 4, and it's due to arrive today...

By the way, the droid bionic is a loving piece of poo poo. I liked the original droid, although it was a bit buggy.. The bionic is constantly needing to be rebooted, and randomly draining the battery out. I only wish I'd made the decision to get something else before my Costco return window had ended. I guess I wanted to love the phone as I do like Android as an OS... But for fucks sake, they need to get some control over the hardware manufacturing process.

I'll see how the iphone goes, as I've never owned one, but if it's just moderately stable/dependable I'll probably be sticking with them from now on.

soy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 24, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
What's the best/most reliable basic/dumbphone available from Verizon currently?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Probaby the LG Accolade.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

bull3964 posted:

We're in uncharted territory here.

Precisely my thinking too. I guess we're just going to have wait and find out!

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

soy posted:

Thankfully the dude told me he couldn't meet up today, so I won't have to deal with any weirdness. I'm switching to an Iphone 4, and it's due to arrive today...

By the way, the droid bionic is a loving piece of poo poo. I liked the original droid, although it was a bit buggy.. The bionic is constantly needing to be rebooted, and randomly draining the battery out. I only wish I'd made the decision to get something else before my Costco return window had ended. I guess I wanted to love the phone as I do like Android as an OS... But for fucks sake, they need to get some control over the hardware manufacturing process.

I'll see how the iphone goes, as I've never owned one, but if it's just moderately stable/dependable I'll probably be sticking with them from now on.

Someone mentioned a few pages ago that the .901 software version for the Bionic really helped out with stability issues as far as reboots and data connections. Hopefully Verizon will start rolling it out soon, but if you look around online you can find it pretty easily as well.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Jake Gittes posted:

Precisely my thinking too. I guess we're just going to have wait and find out!

sim lock will be the issue, and then "can it even do it?" (hw capability) before or after that for sure.

Has anyone asked for an unlock code from verizon on a 4g lte phone?

I can do so today if noone has so we can test that part if desired.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Has anyone asked for an unlock code from verizon on a 4g lte phone?

There's been no point. There's no where to use it if it were unlocked. I don't even know if they are locked to begin with.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

Samsung Gusto is like 10 bucks from bestbuy. Decent call quality and battery will last forever too.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I got a Galaxy Nexus a little under a month ago, and while I love the phone, my data on it is so spotty it's not even funny. It's not even a matter of it switching out of 4g a lot, it's constantly cycling off whenever it loses the 4g signal. I can understand losing 4g occasionally, but a lot of times I have to wait for the data to reboot so I can do anything. I'm not sure if it's related, but Airplane mode will frequently lockup if I try to turn it on and off to reboot the data connection, and tonight I turned on Wifi from my widget and the same lockup happen. Both of these problems get fixed on a reboot.

I live in the Bay Area in Silicon Valley and I have a friend who has a Resound on Verizon and his 4g is almost always on. Is my phone's data connection borked, or is there a setting I can tweak, or is this a known problem with the current OS or something? I'm just trying to decide if I need to go exchange it before my 30 days are up for either a new phone or an iPhone if this is the way my data is constantly gonna go.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bull3964 posted:

There's been no point. There's no where to use it if it were unlocked. I don't even know if they are locked to begin with.

They aren't. There just isn't any other network they are compatable with to run them on, I really want to get my hands on a Sprint LTE sim and see what happens, though.

And just to verify, LTE phones have NO ESN/MEID. Its handled only by the SIM Card.

Droid 4 is looking like Feb 4th according to what I am seeing.

fatherdog posted:

Penguissimo posted:

Probaby the LG Accolade.

Its discontinued. Still out there, but no longer in production.

DaNzA posted:

Samsung Gusto is like 10 bucks from bestbuy. Decent call quality and battery will last forever too.

As long as you don't mind the alarm clock not working at random times. It's an OK phone

I would go with the LG Revere to be honest, or The Convoy 2.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 25, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mighty Horse posted:

Droid 4 is looking like Feb 4th according to what I am seeing.

I could kiss you right now.

What are the odds of my local corporate store having one and being able to sell me one if I show up on the 4th (assuming it drops on the 4th, blah blah blah) as soon as they open?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
If I'm on a family plan with unlimited data, and I assume liability for a line, will I also be grandfathered in? Please say yes...

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Doc Faustus posted:

If I'm on a family plan with unlimited data, and I assume liability for a line, will I also be grandfathered in? Please say yes...

Your line won't be touched, but if data is on the line you TOL into your account, it will go on tiered data.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Kyrosiris posted:

I could kiss you right now.

What are the odds of my local corporate store having one and being able to sell me one if I show up on the 4th (assuming it drops on the 4th, blah blah blah) as soon as they open?

Don't take it as a word of god. Its just showing a few internal documents I have. Its a Saturday, which is really weird.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mighty Horse posted:

Don't take it as a word of god. Its just showing a few internal documents I have. Its a Saturday, which is really weird.

Yeah, I wasn't. Just saying more in general terms - what's the odds of me being able to show up first thing on $RELEASE_DAY and walk out with a D4?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I wasn't. Just saying more in general terms - what's the odds of me being able to show up first thing on $RELEASE_DAY and walk out with a D4?

100%, you will be fine

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

Your line won't be touched, but if data is on the line you TOL into your account, it will go on tiered data.

TOL?

Right now I have unlimited data, and want to assume liability for my line, and then upgrade the phone. Looking around online, it looks like Verizon will frequently allow you to keep unlimited data, but perhaps not always.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Doc Faustus posted:

TOL?

Right now I have unlimited data, and want to assume liability for my line, and then upgrade the phone. Looking around online, it looks like Verizon will frequently allow you to keep unlimited data, but perhaps not always.

TOL - Transfer of Liability.

If you're not touching your actual line, nothing should change, including unlimited data. If you're taking someone else's line and adding it in to your account (the TOL process), then that line will lose unlimited data if it has it, as it's treated essentially as a cancel and create new account (minus the ETF).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I may have to give credit to Motorola though now I have a moral quandary to deal with.

I have my broken Razr with a cracked screen (no external damage, screen cracked internally.) I already filed a claim with AMEX over it because I assumed that it would never in a million years be covered under warranty and it was approved and I was refunded the $299 subsidized priced I paid for it. When I filed the claim for AMEX, I was 100% truthful in what happened. No external trauma, the screen cracked internally, etc.

So, I finally decided to deal with it. First off, i was able to wipe it remotely with exchange so that gave me some piece of mind. But I wanted to find out what Motorola would charge for a screen replacement because I was still going back and forth between getting it fixed and selling it broken. The deciding factor would be what the cost was for a fix.

I did some searching and found that some people said Motorola told them it was only $100 to get a screen replaced. Then digging a bit deeper I found a very recent post where someone had damage similar to mine and Motorola covered it under warranty, no questions asked. I decided at that point to fill out their multi-step online questionnaire. They said if it wouldn't be covered under warranty, there would be an opportunity to pay for repairs. So, I answered everything truthfully, filling in the details, stating that there was no external damage on the phone but made sure to select "cracked" for the display. All of the sudden I was given a link to print a pre-paid shipping label to send it in for repair and a status that said Repair: $0.

Now, it's still possible they'll get it and come back and want to charge me for the repair, but for now it looks like they are going to cover this under warranty. If they repair this under warranty with zero grief, I have to give a lot of credit to Motorola for standing behind their products. At the same time though, I was already paid out a production protection claim over the broken phone from AMEX.

So, that's my situation with phones. On one hand, I want to say "screw it" as far as AMEX goes. I was 100% truthful with the claim and nothing about it said I couldn't get the phone repaired. I also needed a replacement phone immediately and that's what stuff like their product protection is meant to protect against. The only difference in this situation is the COST of repair which is looking like it's going to be $0 for me. I'm not really sure where the line would be there though, at what point does the repair "cost enough" to justify AMEX refunding for a claim. On the other hand, I get this nagging feeling that I should inform AMEX and have them reverse the refund if Motorola does repair the thing for free since I probably should have tried this route to begin with (but I still would have been stuck without a phone for over a week anyways.)

So, I'm inclined to keep things as they are and just not sell the phone if I get it repaired for free. If I sold the phone, I could probably get $400 for it and that on top of the $300 AMEX refunded would mean I made $50 net on this whole debacle and that doesn't sit right with me.

So, I guess I'll have a spare Razr as a secondary phone to my galaxy nexus. Maybe i'll get an otterbox case for it and use it has my "hardened" phone in situations where I would worry about my Nexus. I will say though that Moto seems to be acknowledging a design flaw in these phones if they are fixing a cracked internal screen no questions asked. I think they have a flex problem so it's going to be hard for me to trust a "naked" phone or a phone that has a soft case. This runs counter to how they are touting them.

On another note, the first hints of what Blurred ICS will look like have been leaked out. It's unfinished at this point and only the GSM version.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/25/ice-cream-sandwich-for-the-gsm-motorola-razr-leaks-our-first-look-at-blurwich/

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Looks good. You can actually see the ICS poking its head out from under blur. Unlike the leaked Sense and TW stuff we've seen which looks almost exactly like they did on GB.

This is unfinished of course so I guess they could muddle it up.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

bull3964 posted:

So, I may have to give credit to Motorola though now I have a moral quandary to deal with.

I have my broken Razr with a cracked screen (no external damage, screen cracked internally.) I already filed a claim with AMEX over it because I assumed that it would never in a million years be covered under warranty and it was approved and I was refunded the $299 subsidized priced I paid for it. When I filed the claim for AMEX, I was 100% truthful in what happened. No external trauma, the screen cracked internally, etc.

So, I finally decided to deal with it. First off, i was able to wipe it remotely with exchange so that gave me some piece of mind. But I wanted to find out what Motorola would charge for a screen replacement because I was still going back and forth between getting it fixed and selling it broken. The deciding factor would be what the cost was for a fix.

I did some searching and found that some people said Motorola told them it was only $100 to get a screen replaced. Then digging a bit deeper I found a very recent post where someone had damage similar to mine and Motorola covered it under warranty, no questions asked. I decided at that point to fill out their multi-step online questionnaire. They said if it wouldn't be covered under warranty, there would be an opportunity to pay for repairs. So, I answered everything truthfully, filling in the details, stating that there was no external damage on the phone but made sure to select "cracked" for the display. All of the sudden I was given a link to print a pre-paid shipping label to send it in for repair and a status that said Repair: $0.

Now, it's still possible they'll get it and come back and want to charge me for the repair, but for now it looks like they are going to cover this under warranty. If they repair this under warranty with zero grief, I have to give a lot of credit to Motorola for standing behind their products. At the same time though, I was already paid out a production protection claim over the broken phone from AMEX.

So, that's my situation with phones. On one hand, I want to say "screw it" as far as AMEX goes. I was 100% truthful with the claim and nothing about it said I couldn't get the phone repaired. I also needed a replacement phone immediately and that's what stuff like their product protection is meant to protect against. The only difference in this situation is the COST of repair which is looking like it's going to be $0 for me. I'm not really sure where the line would be there though, at what point does the repair "cost enough" to justify AMEX refunding for a claim. On the other hand, I get this nagging feeling that I should inform AMEX and have them reverse the refund if Motorola does repair the thing for free since I probably should have tried this route to begin with (but I still would have been stuck without a phone for over a week anyways.)

So, I'm inclined to keep things as they are and just not sell the phone if I get it repaired for free. If I sold the phone, I could probably get $400 for it and that on top of the $300 AMEX refunded would mean I made $50 net on this whole debacle and that doesn't sit right with me.

So, I guess I'll have a spare Razr as a secondary phone to my galaxy nexus. Maybe i'll get an otterbox case for it and use it has my "hardened" phone in situations where I would worry about my Nexus. I will say though that Moto seems to be acknowledging a design flaw in these phones if they are fixing a cracked internal screen no questions asked. I think they have a flex problem so it's going to be hard for me to trust a "naked" phone or a phone that has a soft case. This runs counter to how they are touting them.

On another note, the first hints of what Blurred ICS will look like have been leaked out. It's unfinished at this point and only the GSM version.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/25/ice-cream-sandwich-for-the-gsm-motorola-razr-leaks-our-first-look-at-blurwich/

Was one of the conditions of the Amex warranty that you attempted to go through the manufacturer first? If not, then I say you are good.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
It sounds like you scammed AMEX, maybe unintentionally, but they didn't really ask questions to see if you tried to resolve the issue yourself. All I know is I may need to get an AMEX card before I buy any new electronics.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Amex is pretty baller for additional protections and cash back, doubly so if you do it through Costco. They will be your best friend in the world as long as you are in good standing. But I hear they are the most aggressive bank in terms of debt litigation if you get on their bad side.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I put pretty much any major purchase on my AmEx, including anything personal travel-related.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Turnquiet posted:

Was one of the conditions of the Amex warranty that you attempted to go through the manufacturer first? If not, then I say you are good.

Nope. Not that I saw.

quote:

It sounds like you scammed AMEX, maybe unintentionally, but they didn't really ask questions to see if you tried to resolve the issue yourself. All I know is I may need to get an AMEX card before I buy any new electronics.

Yeah. If I had thought for a moment that Motorola would repair this for free, I would have just processed things with them. However, the very beginning page for Motorola's support stuff says pretty clearly that if there's damage to the front face (i.e. display), the warranty is cancelled. It's not after you proceed that you are given the option to state that the breakage wasn't caused by physical abuse to the device. That lead me to the path of a shipping label and apparent zero charge. It's a confusing process.

As far as Amex's refund process, it may have helped that it was purchased at Costco as well. I was expecting them to require proof of breakage and everything else, but they approved and closed the claim in less than 24 hours without any sort of prompting for documentation or questioning of me.

I'm probably just going to document the phone as broken with photos including the serial number before I send it in. I honestly STILL don't know if Motorola is going to turn around and say "nope, we aren't fixing it for free." After I see whether or not motorola is going to charge me, I'll decide whether I'll contact AMEX again.

I'm honestly just trying to figure out where the line is. Fixing it would always cost less than the $299 (well $310 after tax) that they refunded me so you'd think they would offer that route if they were really worried about minimizing the payout amount. I do have a legitimate claim around loss of use (during repair) and diminished value due to it being a repaired phone so it's not like I don't have some legitimate ground for compensation under the benefits they give even if Moto does fix it for free. By not selling it, it's not like I profited under the product protection claim.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
So the Maxx is supposed to drop tomorrow, yet there is nothing on any verizon site. Why do they do releases like this???

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I jumped onto my friend's plan last month, but soon had a bunch of others bills and I couldn't quite afford it so I brought the phone back and asked them to cancel my account, this was 6 days after I had first gotten it. Today my friend gets his latest bill saying that my line is $442. Their policy states that you can cancel your contract within 14 days without incuring an ETF but clearly they messed up. I understand it's a wierd situation and I intend on calling customer support when I'm able, but has this happened to anyone else?

I also got refunded what I originally paid for the phone so I don't really understand why it's more than $350 like their typical ETF.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

TOL - Transfer of Liability.

If you're not touching your actual line, nothing should change, including unlimited data. If you're taking someone else's line and adding it in to your account (the TOL process), then that line will lose unlimited data if it has it, as it's treated essentially as a cancel and create new account (minus the ETF).

Thanks.

I ended up just going into a verizon corporate store, so for anyone else looking for this information: If you are on a family share plan with unlimited data, and complete the Assumption of Liability, then you will still have unlimited data, for as long as you have a smartphone.

Unlimited Data Forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Anyone have any experience with the Galaxy Nexus Car Mount? It looks like poo poo to me but I really need a car mount (do a ton of driving). I assume it doesn't work with cases either. It wouldn't be a total pain having to pop off a silicone case but I occasionally put on my OtterBox.

Suggestions?

• Locked thread