Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do you need to make the ini changes? If I remember correctly they can cause instability.

I made them because my somewhat aging (2009) rig was doing the stutter dance when I panned the camera too quickly on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys, I'm just letting you know that those patch links are dead.

On another note, I do have a somewhat alpha protocol related question: Are there any other games that have been received similarly?

You know, a game that did something completely radical and was simultaneously loved/hated. I ask because I've been on a bit of a GoG binge lately and was thinking about great classic games.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Agreed posted:

My biggest gripe with the game so far is that stealth isn't an option.

I really loved how stealth was handled in this game. I try my best for stealth, but if I mess up, I shoot my way out of the situation.

In Deus Ex :HR, the game compelled you to just reload your quicksave every time you were caught, which I didn't enjoy. Yes, you could just not load, but the game's incentives made it so nearly everyone just loaded alot.

edit- I'd like to say I'm also shocked at how good this game was and how far off the professional reviews have been.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Trollologist posted:

On another note, I do have a somewhat alpha protocol related question: Are there any other games that have been received similarly?

You know, a game that did something completely radical and was simultaneously loved/hated. I ask because I've been on a bit of a GoG binge lately and was thinking about great classic games.

My Personal Best Game Of All Time, God Hand, was similarly blasted in reviews for being one of the best beat-em-ups of all time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

My Personal Best Game Of All Time, God Hand, was similarly blasted in reviews for being one of the best beat-em-ups of all time.

Yeah God Hand is a somewhat infamous example of an absolutely stellar game receiving absolutely terrible reviews that were sometimes, in the case of IGN, retroactively apologized for years after the initial release of the game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Quick question here: I bought this game from GamersGate, partly based on the strength of the OP, partly because it was advertised as being DRM-free on GamersGate itself. I'm getting an activation message from "Uniloc."

What's even dumber is that it's saying it can't connect to an activation server, so I have to do a dance for some offline activation.

I'm not going to ask a :filez: question here, I just want to know if I really have to deal with activation or not. I don't like this poo poo and I go out of my way to avoid it.

e: ok, I see that there's a patch that removes the DRM available after you download the game. and that I'm totally retarded.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 30, 2011

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I wanted to make a second run through this game. Got it patched through Steam, but now it crashes as soon as I click "Play" on the launcher. I've Googled around and the only suggested fixes are "update your drivers" (I've got the latest WHQL available from Microsoft, this should work) and "reinstall the game" (Steam is supposed to check the files integrity so that sounds redundant).

Does anybody have a definitive fix for this problem?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I picked up a cheap copy of this (who am I kidding, there are no expensive or RRP copies of this anywhere) as a Christmas gift for a friend. I also stapled a page of the most important notes, caveats and advice from this thread into the back of the manual, since there are certain things you have to know to enjoy it properly. I was actually sort of disappointed when the first time I've ever wanted to use the blank or lined "notes" page in a game manual, there wasn't one...

This Christmas, I gave the gift of Steven Heck.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 1, 2012

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Furism posted:

I wanted to make a second run through this game. Got it patched through Steam, but now it crashes as soon as I click "Play" on the launcher. I've Googled around and the only suggested fixes are "update your drivers" (I've got the latest WHQL available from Microsoft, this should work) and "reinstall the game" (Steam is supposed to check the files integrity so that sounds redundant).

Does anybody have a definitive fix for this problem?

Run in from the .exe and see what error you get.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I got this game because of the glowing reviews on this thread, it only cost me £5, and I'm on the endgame now, and I've really being enjoying it. Sure, it might have gameplay issues, but the story telling and characterisation is top notch. I think I'll probably be replaying it to explore more of the options.

Plus Jim Cummings and James Wong are on the game's voice acting roster, which is never a bad thing, really.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Your enjoyment of the game will go up 1000% once you start another playthrough, assuming you go for totally different approaches.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, the first time I played this I thought it was a pretty good game, not mindblowing, but pretty good. What was mindblowing is that it can be like a completely different pretty good game the next time you play. I would dearly love another game using this formula.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Davoren posted:

Yeah, the first time I played this I thought it was a pretty good game, not mindblowing, but pretty good. What was mindblowing is that it can be like a completely different pretty good game the next time you play. I would dearly love another game using this formula.

Have you played Arcanum? My second playthrough (making different decisions) was a joy due to how much I didn't (and couldn't) encounter the first time.

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God
Just beat it for the first time, so-so. I'll make up my mind after a second run through I suppose but the length of the campaign was really disappointing. I ended up with Pistols, Rifles & Toughness maxed out and played it like a shooter regardless of what the OP says, I hardly touched gadgets other than Epi Spikes & First Aid Kits. Setting up traps and stealthing everywhere doesn't seem like something I'd have the patience for.

I tried to keep as many people alive as possible: is it possible to avoid (Taipei) Sung being killed? Also I accidentally let (Endgame) Mina shoot Scarlet because I didn't realise what the dialogue choice meant :(. I think next time I'm going to try and end up with as few people alive as possible.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I have to say, this is probably my favorite thread title ever.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Turada posted:

Just beat it for the first time, so-so. I'll make up my mind after a second run through I suppose but the length of the campaign was really disappointing. I ended up with Pistols, Rifles & Toughness maxed out and played it like a shooter regardless of what the OP says, I hardly touched gadgets other than Epi Spikes & First Aid Kits. Setting up traps and stealthing everywhere doesn't seem like something I'd have the patience for.

I tried to keep as many people alive as possible: is it possible to avoid (Taipei) Sung being killed? Also I accidentally let (Endgame) Mina shoot Scarlet because I didn't realise what the dialogue choice meant :(. I think next time I'm going to try and end up with as few people alive as possible.

The campaign is so short because there's like a bajillion variables for everything to take into account. You'll be impressed by a second playthrough. And for the record, there are only three people in the entire game who cannot be killed, so have fun on your murder playthrough, because those are a hoot.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Turada posted:

Using gadgets as traps is only useful in a few situations when you know an ambush will come. Personally never found a use for the Epi Spikes or Sound Generator or Radio Mimic.

For Taipei Sung doesn't die if you tell him about the assassination instead of the riots.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Turada posted:

Just beat it for the first time, so-so. I'll make up my mind after a second run through I suppose but the length of the campaign was really disappointing.

Once you play through again and realize how much you can change I doubt you'll stand by this statement. If the campaign were longer it'd hamper your ability to go through it again and alter the story. And yes you can save Sung.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Crappy Jack posted:

And for the record, there are only three people in the entire game who cannot be killed, so have fun on your murder playthrough, because those are a hoot.

Hong, Grigori, and uhhh....?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

khwarezm posted:

Heck

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

khwarezm posted:

Heck

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Trollologist posted:

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines kinda. I mean the bad reviews at the time were justified, no amount of legitimate excuses makes up for how unplayable it was at release, but deep in the crap was a kernel of a really innovative WRPG. Wesp's patch lets it see its full potential now though.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Hannibal Smith posted:

Heck

I think there's one more person that will survive. It will either be SIE or Albatross depending on who you side with in Moscow. AFAIK, killing one will ensure that the other one lives. I don't remember any other opportunities to kill these 2 characters outside of Brayko's mansion.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines kinda. I mean the bad reviews at the time were justified, no amount of legitimate excuses makes up for how unplayable it was at release

It was troubled at release, but it was still great (speaking as someone who played it then).

KOTOR2's another example of people being ludicrously down on something

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
How the hell did Albatross manage to get himself captured anyway? That seemed totally contrived.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
In the endgame I sent Mina to work convertly, instead of keeping her in the safehouse, joined Haltech, but betrayed them - the only person on the boat was Stephen. I don't recall getting an option to save Mina - did I screw that up?

My first playthrough was very by the book, trying to gain the fsvour of as many people as possible, I think I'll play as more of a maverick rear end in a top hat character next time.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

OldMemes posted:

In the endgame I sent Mina to work convertly, instead of keeping her in the safehouse, joined Haltech, but betrayed them - the only person on the boat was Stephen. I don't recall getting an option to save Mina - did I screw that up?

My first playthrough was very by the book, trying to gain the fsvour of as many people as possible, I think I'll play as more of a maverick rear end in a top hat character next time.

Everyone gets the option to save Mina, it's just not very well presented. There's a point where there are multiple paths you can go, and the bad guy shows up on a video screen and tells you to make a choice. You have to go left there.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm certain that you don't get notified about it if Leland is the villain and you didn't join Halbech. Otherwise you get dialogue about it in the area where you can do this.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

OldMemes posted:

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Oh yeah, if one thing should be in the OP for first time players it should be which doors that you can miss if you go too far on the final mission.

OK, since we've had like 30 testimonials about people making this mistake and I missed the entire thing on my first playthrough:

Hey, have you just begun the final mission?! Read this first!
Welcome back to the Greybox! There is a point during this level where you return to the nondescript grey junction room that you raced through during the tutorial. The one right off the interrogation room with all the video screens, remember that? Make sure you don't just run to the opposite end of the room once you're here!

There are important plot developments that occur in the doors on either side of you. Before you cross the threshold of the room, make sure you go into the doors on your left and right.

I'm trying to describe the room from memory... is that helpful enough without being too revealing?

It didn't bug out - there are two really easy to miss doors in the final mission and at least you managed to find one! I've been saying this should be in the OP forever since tens of people have posted about the same problem.

yeah it needs to be in the OP or something I've said this every time some one misses it in this thread which is about 100 times by now

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

General Battuta posted:

How the hell did Albatross manage to get himself captured anyway? That seemed totally contrived.

Asymmetry. Brayko and his posse might be experts at, as Johnny Mnemonic put it, going crude when they expect you to go technical.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
AH!

I bought this game during the 75% deal on Steam because I saw this thread and saw people going crazy when initially I thought everybody hated it.

I am just finishing up Skyrim, and whiled I enjoyed it... I feel like it was missing something (at least in regards to how I still hold Morrowind in high regard) and wanted to straight jump into another RPG! From what I am reading I know it won't be anything like Morrowind. (Am I wrong?) But I am a sucker for stealth and this game has the good options! It took me six days to download Skyrim (using terrible Afghanistan Internet!) What do you guys think it will take to download Alpha Protocol?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Just remember to put all your points in pistols and treat the gameplay as stupid bullshit you have to get through between the awesome dialogue and story bits.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Regicide posted:

I am just finishing up Skyrim, and whiled I enjoyed it... I feel like it was missing something (at least in regards to how I still hold Morrowind in high regard) and wanted to straight jump into another RPG! From what I am reading I know it won't be anything like Morrowind. (Am I wrong?) But I am a sucker for stealth

It's very very very little like Morrowind or Skyrim, and stealth is not so much a tool to avoid enemies as to make sure you get the drop in combat - don't expect it to be MGS.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Played the game for PC, interface was awful, combat felt like it was created by a two year old, story was cliche and I saw every turn coming. It really feels like the alpha for Deus Ex 3 or something.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Megadace posted:

Played the game for PC, interface was awful, combat felt like it was created by a two year old, story was cliche and I saw every turn coming. It really feels like the alpha for Deus Ex 3 or something.

The story is impressive not so much for the quality of its dialogue or plot writing as for its reactivity. Very small actions, as well as general trends of player behavior, are remembered and recalled.

You probably won't play it again to see what I'm talking about, but there's really no comparison with DX3. In DX3 you can choose a range of options to tackle a linear story; it is an excellent game (at least up until the ending) but it is focused on letting you choose how to tackle a linear path. In Alpha Protocol you can actually alter large elements of the story in pretty surprising ways. It's also full of little touches akin to DX1/DX3's 'don't go in the women's bathroom' moments.

From a gameplay standpoint it's not a very good game, but as a piece of game narrative design I don't think it has any peer. In an industry constantly trumpeting the value of 'real choices', it's one of the few that actually offers meaningful choices. Imagine if in DX3 you could actually enlist with the Illuminati or Humanity First and work towards their agenda, rather than simply picking a button at the end of the game.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

General Battuta posted:

The story is impressive not so much for the quality of its dialogue or plot writing as for its reactivity. Very small actions, as well as general trends of player behavior, are remembered and recalled.

You probably won't play it again to see what I'm talking about, but there's really no comparison with DX3. In DX3 you can choose a range of options to tackle a linear story; it is an excellent game (at least up until the ending) but it is focused on letting you choose how to tackle a linear path. In Alpha Protocol you can actually alter large elements of the story in pretty surprising ways. It's also full of little touches akin to DX1/DX3's 'don't go in the women's bathroom' moments.

From a gameplay standpoint it's not a very good game, but as a piece of game narrative design I don't think it has any peer. In an industry constantly trumpeting the value of 'real choices', it's one of the few that actually offers meaningful choices. Imagine if in DX3 you could actually enlist with the Illuminati or Humanity First and work towards their agenda, rather than simply picking a button at the end of the game.

Well to be honest I haven't played much of Deus Ex 3, but I play games mostly for the gameplay and if it has award-winning writing. This game reminds me a lot of Xenophage, as much as I want to like it, the game won't allow me to.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Megadace posted:

Play with a 360 controller. It makes the interface a lot friendlier.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Alpha Protocol lives in a sort of limbo for me: I love it and would defend it to death, but I feel reservations about actually recommending it to people.

I can get past the gameplay (I don't it's even that bad), and love the reactivity in the story (and how it can play out on missions), but seeing it as most people barely finish a game once, and for the most part don't care about that kind of stuff, it's hard to make a case for it.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Hey it is pretty cool this thread popped back up.

I'm like two trophies from platting this game but I'm pretty dang frustrated at the minute. I've been doing the kill everything that moves thing trophy and the trophy for killing Marburg in Rome.

I can't get the drat thing to trigger though, according to the guide I was using you only have to get him to -6 and he'll stay and fight. Well, I have -6 and he still keeps running off :(

What the gently caress else do I need to do, not that I think I even can at this point, I don't think I have any saves that would help and I've already gone through the game 5 times in fairly rapid succession. It is a great game but I dunno if I can do another run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I'm pretty sure you have to be the kind of person he hates drat near consistently from the beginning of the game, otherwise he knows you're just trying to get under his skin.

• Locked thread