Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm absolutely shocked that Wade Barrett wasn't even top five in Most Improved, but Ziggler is a great choice for the top spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Karmine posted:

Kind of a bummer that the best draw only appeared on like a half dozen shows all year, but I guess that's just how much of a draw he was.

Dave thought it was an awful vote and I tend to agree; there's essentially no argument to be made for Rock over Georges St-Pierre.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm so glad Ricardo won Best Non Wrestler and somebody ended Joe Silva's reign of terror as Best Booker.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

good awards for the most part

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Wrestle one match in 2011, win two wrestling awards.

:dealwithit:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm a bit surprised Chael didn't win Best Interview and/or Most Charismatic.

jeffersonlives posted:

Dave thought it was an awful vote and I tend to agree; there's essentially no argument to be made for Rock over Georges St-Pierre.

GSP only fought once this year though, so only really contributed to one buyrate. Rock probably meant more for merchandise and helping to boost houseshow numbers than whatever auxiliary money GSP brought in.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Meat Recital posted:

I'm a bit surprised Chael didn't win Best Interview and/or Most Charismatic.

GSP only fought once this year though, so only really contributed to one buyrate. Rock probably meant more for merchandise and helping to boost houseshow numbers than whatever auxiliary money GSP brought in.

koscheck fight counts as 2011 for the awards

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Technically, he only really drew one big house, Mania. SS didn't do that great. I suppose you could credit him with the bump in ratings last spring, but that was more the idea of him being back given how little he actually appeared.

House show business went through the roof after Rock returned, more than the usual Mania season bump. He helped the company a whole lot when he returned.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

jeffersonlives posted:

The entire Wrestlemania season was huge, bigger than usual, with constant sellout house shows, even Smackdown house shows doing strong numbers, beefed up ratings and of course the fat Mania buyrate. All because the Rock showed up. He made the product hot without even appearing on 95% of the shows that received a boost from him. Survivor Series was bad, but that was a matter of WWE using all of their booking prowess to make the main event completely uninteresting. Add onto that the tons and tons of merch he no doubt sold.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Well I'll be damned if I wasn't off on most of these!

I forgot about Crimson for most overrated. He definitely deserves it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Lloyd Boner posted:

The entire Wrestlemania season was huge, bigger than usual, with constant sellout house shows, even Smackdown house shows doing strong numbers, beefed up ratings and of course the fat Mania buyrate. All because the Rock showed up. He made the product hot without even appearing on 95% of the shows that received a boost from him. Survivor Series was bad, but that was a matter of WWE using all of their booking prowess to make the main event completely uninteresting. Add onto that the tons and tons of merch he no doubt sold.

Meanwhile, Georges St-Pierre drew two of the largest sellouts in modern history, one a stadium show, and two 800k buyrates as the sole draw on both shows, and probably had just as many peripheral benefits as Rock. It's not even a comparison, St-Pierre blows Rock away.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

House show business went through the roof after Rock returned, more than the usual Mania season bump. He helped the company a whole lot when he returned.

Yes, but should he get credit for shows he wasn't on, nor was ever actually advertised on? Lesnar almost certainly sold the tickets for that Carwin/Santos fight, but because he didn't actually do the fight, he wasn't eligible for the award. So why should Rock be allowed to get in based on shows he wasn't on in the first place?

And for the promo award, Chael spent most of the year lying badly to the CSAC, which isn't exactly a bright spot for his promo ability.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Michael Cole worst announcer of the year, what a shocker. Booker should not be in second though :colbert:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Carwin/Santos didn't actually do that well. It sold out, but a lot of that was due to scalpers. I was able to find good tickets at below face value on the day of the event, and I'm not sure the place ever did fill out completely. The PPV buyrate was a middle of the road 325,000.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Michael Cole worst announcer of the year, what a shocker. Booker should not be in second though :colbert:

To be honest I think Jerry's been much worse as an announcer lately. I particularly like how he incredulously asked 'has anyone that's drawn #1 ever won the Rumble' on Raw this week and Cole helpfully pointed out that not only has that happened, but Jerry was on commentary for that Rumble. Cole is a worse personality all around, but Lawler is just a total idiot, all the time.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah Booker may be a goofball, but he's so enthusiastic. I'll take that over King's phoning it in any day.

Edit: hahaha I Just noticed Vince McMahon finishing 7th in Best Booker

And Sin Cara just barely edged out Fake Sin Cara in the "best gimmick" category.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 26, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Meat Recital posted:

Carwin/Santos didn't actually do that well. It sold out, but a lot of that was due to scalpers. I was able to find good tickets at below face value on the day of the event, and I'm not sure the place ever did fill out completely. The PPV buyrate was a middle of the road 325,000.

Did it even sell out? I don't remember it doing so.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I thought it did for some reason, but it looks like it did about 3,000 people less than the previous Vancouver show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
GSP probably did deserve to win it, but Rock had two major advantages: More people saw him drawing sell outs for weeks on Raw, a bigger crowd than GSP drew for WM (although the UFC gate was much bigger) an instant sell out for Survivor Series, etc and the fact it happened in the 2011 calendar year.

I don't bother to vote, but I forgot multiple times that GSP vs Koscheck counted. Due to his injury I also didn't even consider that GSP should get credit for the Penn/Diaz gate. I bet a lot of voters did the same thing.

I also think that while GSP probably deserves it, the way the Rock made the WWE seem like a huge deal for a few months and elevated their entire business. GSP didn't really do this, and it's pretty loving impressive.

The specific box office award just seems so stupid to me. Why bother having people vote on something if there is a right or wrong answer and there is if you just put in the work to crunch the numbers. It seems to exist only so Dave can say "Heh... no."

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 26, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

hahaha I Just noticed Vince McMahon finishing 7th in Best Booker

When was the last time Vince booked anything?

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

I loved Dave's (justifiable) outrage over WWF asking Hijo Del Santo to unmask on today's show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Labored Wooting posted:

I loved Dave's (justifiable) outrage over WWF asking Hijo Del Santo to unmask on today's show.

I.. but... why? What possible logic is there for doing that? Hell, wasn't Santo only working with them for the Super Astros thing? As in a show aimed at the Mexican market?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Yesterday's UWF recap was the best one yet.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone bitched about the UFC coverage again...

Are you ready?

Can you handle it?

YOU JUST GOT DAVE'D!

dave posted:

You go to McDonald's, you look at the menu, and you specifically pick out the item that says hamburger & fries.

You pick it up. Eat it.

Then post on the McDonald's message board.

I'm going to commit suicide if they give me a hamburger the next time I order a hamburger & fries.

The daily update stated the show was to preview UFC on Fox. Bryan's preview of the show listed the main item was UFC on Fox.

You can fast forward. You can not listen.

But we are a site where the only thing that keeps us in business is coverage of WWE and UFC. Everything else we do because we either like to or because we feel some warped journalistic duty to cover, but I promise, to the site, it matters zero.

You have the right to complain about Japanese wrestling, ROH, or Bellator. But anyone who the week of UFC on FOX complains that we talk about it, think because if the people who read it think, you expose yourself to a degree that, well, all I know is I wouldn't, even under a fake name, want my fake name to come across as dumber than a four year old.

If I had no interest in the NBA playoffs, during the playoffs, if I wrote to a sports site--I'm going to commit suicide if you cover the NBA playoffs on a show when the specific guest is an NBA expert, what will people reading your post think. You're a numbskull of the highest order.

I hope these analogies help some of you with the decision making.

Again, nobody has to be a fan of everything. But people on this site who complain about coverage of UFC or WWE really need to realize how completely and utterly out of touch it looks to most everyone.

I'm writing this to save you from further personal embarrassment.

And also, to give you tips on ordering food next time you go out.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Dave has the worst analogies. That's why goons identify with him so strongly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Those analogies are pretty spot on. Bryan is the one with the horrible analogies.

It is hilarious that he specifically said "hamburger" though.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The latest podcast addresses Best Box Office Draw.

Bryan: Why is this a votable category?
Dave: It, just because, I, well, I mean the, ya know, it's, it's just been an award.
:allears:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Bryan asking the hard hitting questions! I love it haha

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

MassRayPer posted:

Those analogies are pretty spot on. Bryan is the one with the horrible analogies.

It is hilarious that he specifically said "hamburger" though.

Best part is he completely forgot to mention TNA.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Dave poo poo talking his own subscribers is always loving amazing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The awards discussion show was really depressing. Wrestling really sucks these days.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Karmine posted:

Dave poo poo talking his own subscribers is always loving amazing.

It was a few years ago but when one guy called him a loving idiot and dave got pissed off and said "you better be sure you're right before you call someone a loving idiot" was worth the monthly subscription.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

MassRayPer posted:

The awards discussion show was really depressing. Wrestling really sucks these days.

The indy scene is fun :(

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

It was only depressing because Bruce Mitchell didn't know ANYTHING except WWE & TNA. Dave was being negative, and justifiably so, but Bruce just went on and on about the GOOD OL' DAYS. They really should have figured out a way to get Alan on instead, because he actually watches lots (and lots) of pro wrestling except TNA and watches a fair amount of UFC. Plus he would have brought a positive slant to things and would have been able to argue with Dave over the whole "promotion of the year HAS TO be financially successful" deal. You don't give Twilight or Transformers the Oscar because they made a gently caress load of money. Using financial success as a criteria for reader awards is really stupid, seeing as how that's entirely objective and the idea of having your readers vote on awards should be entirely subjective.

Also Bruce Mitchell implying that Kevin Steen doesn't know how to brawl without weapons was just obnoxiously ignorant.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lloyd Boner posted:

It was only depressing because Bruce Mitchell didn't know ANYTHING except WWE & TNA. Dave was being negative, and justifiably so, but Bruce just went on and on about the GOOD OL' DAYS. They really should have figured out a way to get Alan on instead, because he actually watches lots (and lots) of pro wrestling except TNA and watches a fair amount of UFC. Plus he would have brought a positive slant to things and would have been able to argue with Dave over the whole "promotion of the year HAS TO be financially successful" deal. You don't give Twilight or Transformers the Oscar because they made a gently caress load of money. Using financial success as a criteria for reader awards is really stupid, seeing as how that's entirely objective and the idea of having your readers vote on awards should be entirely subjective.

Also Bruce Mitchell implying that Kevin Steen doesn't know how to brawl without weapons was just obnoxiously ignorant.

I don't even mean what Bruce said, it was just the fact that Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Year choices used to be Kobashi, Misawa, Hart, Michaels, etc etc etc and now Bryan would be the only one who could compare to those guys if he was given a chance to have great main events every month. Thinking about Feud of the Year was a bit sad too.

As for promotion of the year, given the phrase Promotion of the Year, I guess Dave isn't wrong. He did pick the wording and in theory the best promotion would be entertaining and because the job of a promotion is to promote successful events and make money. By using that phrase it is comparable to "Most Successful Movie of the Year" rather than what the Oscars are.

But in that case it goes back to Box Office Draw, why bother having it? Just tell us.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

I think the problem with most outstanding is that the past few years it was always dominated by a handful of wrestlers. And now they've either retired (like HBK) or been put in positions where they can't wrestle at that level (like Bryan), and the other guys who are at that level just don't get the recognition they deserve, mostly because they don't get the exposure. I mean if El Generico was somehow a top guy in WWE, I bet he'd probably be, not quite HBK-level, but at just a level or two under. Also Orton and Christian both got snubbed.

And yeah, last year's feuds were really sad, especially because a lot of them were half really awesome, but then half really mediocre or disappointing. Cena-Punk was amazing up until MITB, then dropped off a cliff. Davey-Eddie and Briscoes-ANX were awesome the first half of the year, but then the Sinclair deal threw the timing of shows out of whack and then you ended up with ANX winning a ladder war only to lose their title shot at a house show and Davey becoming a whiny jilted lover. Orton-Christian was awesome in the ring, but just dragged on way too long. Steen-ROH was awesome but then he didn't wrestle until after the awards year. I'm sure the actual winner would probably be Blood Warriors vs Junction Three but I don't watch enough Dragon Gate.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lloyd Boner posted:

Bruce Mitchell has always been ignorant. It's sort of his forté.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was a great discussion. Especially the "When I saw it I thought 'oh my god, they've changed the finish!'" was cool.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Moose Bigelow posted:

It was a few years ago but when one guy called him a loving idiot and dave got pissed off and said "you better be sure you're right before you call someone a loving idiot" was worth the monthly subscription.

The best was when Dave told a guy complaining about the UFC coverage, "AS LONG AS YOU DON'T BREED THOUGH, IT'S COOL"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

Bruce Mitchell has always been ignorant. It's sort of his forté.

Remember when he cost ECW their PPV deal for about a year? Good times.

• Locked thread