Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

Back when I wasn't as fit I used to discuss with the person I was marking the possibility of having a gentlemen's agreement not to run anymore in the game.

Theres a guy called Peg who has one slightly dodgy leg that we play football with. Basically, just "a bit of a limp" but it doesn't really stop him scoring occasional screamers. Every single game we play there'll be a moment where he trys to man-mark me (since I'm slow and ungainly) and I'll take this is my cue to go on a sprint up-font for a minute or two to lose the bastard. It's about the only time I feel like I'm playing football properly. Although, not once has this dash goal-wards result in me scoring so he's doing a pretty good job I'd say.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ramagamma posted:

Finally getting the first few games of 2012 kicked off this weekend with 3 games in 3 days. Monday night with Steves lot as per usual, saturday morning game with me and Steves best against Euans best and the "happens if I get enough players" sunday night romp with my guys.

Stoked like Anthony, I am. Girlfriend is moaning since I'm playing all throughout the weekend but this is like the first game since halfway through December and I treated the dame to a night out at the local curry house on New Years Day so she ain't got no dakka here.

My ambition for 2012: Score more than 3 headers throughout the calendar year. I'm the only player in any of our 5's sides to ever score a header (no mean feat for a 5'4 fullback) and all 3 of my efforts with the bonce happened last year in November/December so I'm calling this a realistic ambition.

Don't ask me why its taken nearly 3 years for anyone to score a header, why 3 happened in the space of 2 months and 2 of them in consecutive games or why its only the short-arse who can pull it off, I just got them bobby carlos skills :ninja:

I score about one header a year, each one is a precious jewel to be treasured

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
First 2 games of the year have been a fuckup. Saturday morning we endedup with 6 players due to a very late drop-out and a no-show. Ended up like more of a training session and we were all exhuasted by the end of it.

Yesterday 11 players turned up. Apparently one of the guys who said "remind me if you need players on sunday" interpreted "yeah man we are full" as "we need you so go ahead and turn up". Idiot. Didn't spoil the game, although thats easy for me to say given we had the team with 6 players.

One particular highlight was getting one of the newer, less skilled players a hat-trick. His names Greg and he's huge, slow and kinda tubby. Never ever gets a goal (he can't really left his leg higher than his knee so he can never get a good kick) but he'll do a great job in defence. Set up his first 2 and then assisted the assist for his 3rd. Been trying to get that big galut a goal for ages. I didn't let the fact it was unbalanced teams take the shine from his goal celebrating running the full lenght of the pitch bellowing "YAAASSSSSSSSSS". Its the moments like that that make it worthwhile.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Had a loving dire game last night. Started off badly because I went captain up against my namesake who is faster, fitter and more energetic than I am, if slightly worse of a ball-player but that's just my hyperbole. Teams actually looked difficult but a contest at the start.

We went 11 down at one point so, at half-time, me and my mate Pirez decided to switch teams, he is also considerably fitter than I am so we thought this would even up the teams and make it a contest. It did until one of the guys on my original team decided he didn't want to play and would instead stand still in the centre of the pitch and contrive not to touch the ball or help anyone.

Was one of the most childish things I've seen someone do in a game of 5's, I've been on both sides of the "getting pumped by double digits" fence and it doesn't feel good either way. Standing in the pitch and actively avoiding play though is something else. It's a shame because of all the people we play with he's the only one who specifically texts me looking for a game. Don't think I'll invite him back.

Onwards and upwards.

Another game tonight. I've just been told by Pirez that sulker is playing this one so I'm going to contrive with Pirez to go captains and make balanced teams, put myself on the opposite team of sulkface and mark him out of the game (not for the first time).

Most hilarious part was when the group that came in after us said they were a few men down and needed players, sulker stuck behidn for a game with them. "Plenty energy left?" my opposing captain said to him with a cheeky grin.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Played our first game of indoor winter season a few days ago. Scored 2 poacher goals with my right foot; botched 2 with my left, almost falling down in the process of one. Yep, sounds like I'm back on track.

beaverseatwood
Apr 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone in the LA area? I'm down a few players for a 5v5 tournament in South Gate tonight 1/23/12 at 6. Anyone want to play?

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.

Ramagamma posted:

Had a loving dire game last night. Started off badly because I went captain up against my namesake who is faster, fitter and more energetic than I am, if slightly worse of a ball-player but that's just my hyperbole. Teams actually looked difficult but a contest at the start.

We went 11 down at one point so, at half-time, me and my mate Pirez decided to switch teams, he is also considerably fitter than I am so we thought this would even up the teams and make it a contest. It did until one of the guys on my original team decided he didn't want to play and would instead stand still in the centre of the pitch and contrive not to touch the ball or help anyone.

Was one of the most childish things I've seen someone do in a game of 5's, I've been on both sides of the "getting pumped by double digits" fence and it doesn't feel good either way. Standing in the pitch and actively avoiding play though is something else. It's a shame because of all the people we play with he's the only one who specifically texts me looking for a game. Don't think I'll invite him back.

Onwards and upwards.

Another game tonight. I've just been told by Pirez that sulker is playing this one so I'm going to contrive with Pirez to go captains and make balanced teams, put myself on the opposite team of sulkface and mark him out of the game (not for the first time).

Most hilarious part was when the group that came in after us said they were a few men down and needed players, sulker stuck behidn for a game with them. "Plenty energy left?" my opposing captain said to him with a cheeky grin.

Our first league matches ended 12-2 and 13-3 to the opposition thus far. Wonder what odds I can get on 14-4?

It's difficult as it's six people who haven't played together before. Organised a friendly this week, hopefully sets up better communication and movement in future league matches.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Rankine Over Gash posted:

Our first league matches ended 12-2 and 13-3 to the opposition thus far. Wonder what odds I can get on 14-4?

It's difficult as it's six people who haven't played together before. Organised a friendly this week, hopefully sets up better communication and movement in future league matches.

I'll be eagerly watching for updates

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I hit the bar with a header tonight...stupid 3ft 6 a side goal :(

I also took an elbow to the neck and when I went to return the favour the guy literally ran away from the ball which was quite funny.

Also, some nugget had 2 passes on, or space to dribble up the pitch, instead he decided to leather the ball across the face of goal towards the only player in the wide vicinity that was marked. The ball ended up hitting the marker in the face, knocking him out and we had to stop play for 10 mins whilst he came round.

The lad had 2 dribbles after that where when he went to swing for a shot he totally missed the ball both times and we all said 'ho ho ho you need to hit the other ball (double vision)' but he should probably go get checked out.

game finished 1-1 in the end. heh

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

angry armadillo posted:

I hit the bar with a header tonight...stupid 3ft 6 a side goal :(

I also took an elbow to the neck and when I went to return the favour the guy literally ran away from the ball which was quite funny.

Also, some nugget had 2 passes on, or space to dribble up the pitch, instead he decided to leather the ball across the face of goal towards the only player in the wide vicinity that was marked. The ball ended up hitting the marker in the face, knocking him out and we had to stop play for 10 mins whilst he came round.

The lad had 2 dribbles after that where when he went to swing for a shot he totally missed the ball both times and we all said 'ho ho ho you need to hit the other ball (double vision)' but he should probably go get checked out.

game finished 1-1 in the end. heh

Wow, 1-1? Not meaning to mock, but whenever I play a 5/6-a-side game, the scores are always in the tens; I don't think we've ever had as low scoring a game as 1-1. Is this for a tournament or friendly, and how long is each game?

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.

Taff posted:

I'll be eagerly watching for updates

You have had your opportunity Taff and you refused. Regards.

Tonight marks the start of three five a side matches in three nights. Itbegins.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Hallowed Turban posted:

Wow, 1-1? Not meaning to mock, but whenever I play a 5/6-a-side game, the scores are always in the tens; I don't think we've ever had as low scoring a game as 1-1. Is this for a tournament or friendly, and how long is each game?

Our 5-a-side team generally have high scoring games, like 8-6 or 12-8, but whenever we make it to finals the teams seem to start defending better, so the more important games are really low scoring games with either team lucky to score 5. Not sure if its the pressure getting to everyone when they're infront of goal or if people start tracking back more when its an important game though.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Really bizzare game last night. Everyone seemed in a temper. Lots of shouts about shots being in the box or keepers being out the box, lots of handballs, lots of aggression and pushing and shoving from people. A few ridiulous sliding challenges which wouldn't look out of place in the Roy Keane book of leg breaking tackles. Just not a very fun game. Teams were probably too even if anything and it made everyone play like a bunch of cunts.

Last time I play a game of 5's without :420: in my system if I can help it.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
It was a game amongst friends last night, i think the teams were either 6v7 or 7v8

either way there was loads of players and it goes a bit schoolyard where everyone chases the ball so there is never any space to shoot. a bit like Parmos when everyone runs into the box :D

played for about an hour and 20 minutes too haha.

When i see you people posting scores so high I am wondering do you bother defending? I play in goal when I play league games and I'd be gutted if I let in 3! Although I am an incredibley bossy goalkeeper and spend most of my time tell people who they should mark/track

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Getting people to "defend" isn't hard, getting people who aren't fit to run back when they lose the ball is. Most goals in small sided games are scored on the counter, but it doesn't take much organisation to avoid conceding if you work at it.

I played a game last year which was 5v6 on an 8-a-side pitch, I was on the smaller team and we managed a 5-5 draw by keeping an unbroken line of 3 defenders whenever we didn't have the ball and then breaking quickly whenever we won it back. Next week it was 8v8 again and I think the score was 16-12 or something because that organisation all disappeared.

beaverseatwood
Apr 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So last night was the first time I've played organized soccer in about 8 years. Fitness is def not there but it was fun as hell. Everybody I had incited bailed on me, so my friend ani asked a few other people there to join for the mini tournament we were about to play. Of course we lost all games(wiiide margins) but the important part is that the spark is back! Can't get enough and am seriously considering registering for the season. I love futbol

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

The ball ended up hitting the marker in the face, knocking him out and we had to stop play for 10 mins whilst he came round.

Well drat, I came here to complain about getting hit in the face the hardest I ever have, gave me a fat, dark purple lip and loosened two teeth, but it didn't knock me out cold. Sheeeit.

After a couple seasons in an all-male, all-ages league, I've dragged these old bones back to the over-30 coed league. Much more fun for me, much less aggression (and injury) but the competitiveness is still there. Was invited to a brand new team of long-time league players who've never played together before, and in our first scrimmage we managed to beat an established team 4-1, with one of those from me. The next week's scrimmage I managed to rack up a hat trick (granted it was against fill-in goalies, but they weren't terrible). This past week we scrimmaged a team 2 divisions above us and lost, but managed to hold them to only 2-1, with one of theirs being a really unfortunate own goal. Really looking forward to the season opener this weekend, the other team's got a couple of ex-teammates of mine.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

It was a game amongst friends last night, i think the teams were either 6v7 or 7v8

either way there was loads of players and it goes a bit schoolyard where everyone chases the ball so there is never any space to shoot. a bit like Parmos when everyone runs into the box :D

played for about an hour and 20 minutes too haha.

When i see you people posting scores so high I am wondering do you bother defending? I play in goal when I play league games and I'd be gutted if I let in 3! Although I am an incredibley bossy goalkeeper and spend most of my time tell people who they should mark/track

I guess that's one issue, in that none of my games ever involve a fixed goalkeeper - we usually just rotate, and not just in friendlies. That said, I don't think a proper goalkeeper would make such a large difference in the scores. Maybe Scikar is right and we just don't defend very well - thankfully, neither do our opponents!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

My 7 a side team is horrible but our goalkeeper is loving amazing and single-handedly keeps us in most games

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

Hallowed Turban posted:

I guess that's one issue, in that none of my games ever involve a fixed goalkeeper - we usually just rotate, and not just in friendlies. That said, I don't think a proper goalkeeper would make such a large difference in the scores. Maybe Scikar is right and we just don't defend very well - thankfully, neither do our opponents!

I once went to an indoor pickup thing having heard that they were always looking for keepers. The reason was because no one else wanted to do it. I saw everyone taking a knee after the game and I wondered what they were doing. Turns out the last one to take a knee had to play keeper. Needless to say they were kind of surprised when I said I not only wanted to, but that I'd keep doing it over multiple games.

Also in my outdoor league, I was the only consistent keeper, and probably the only player to play ever minute of his team's game. We had other teams that would rotate two or three times just during a game. Whenever the first keeper would allow too many they'd rotate, etc. The one I felt the worst for was this team we beat 6-0, because their first goalkeeper was this really fat woman, and they'd obviously chosen her thinking she could use her sheer width.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Persistent keepers just don't happen in my 5's games here. One of the better players, we call him Sco, used to play Goalkeeper for full games back in high school but nowdays rotates like everyone else. It has its advantages and disadvantages though. Obviously no one really likes going in goals if you keep switching but it also works as a nice break for the less fit players like myself.

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

Our six a side keeper played a blinder last week. Though we were beaten badly he pulled off some stunning saves. I like to play in goal now and again but being 6'6" is a shitter with those low goals. Difficult to get down and across in time.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Our six a side keeper played a blinder last week. Though we were beaten badly he pulled off some stunning saves. I like to play in goal now and again but being 6'6" is a shitter with those low goals. Difficult to get down and across in time.

I've always had a nightmarish time playing keeper in those 5 or 6 a side goals (Im 6'4"). I start playing more like a hockey goalie than a proper keeper.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

6'6"

GravityDaemon posted:

6'4"

Bloody hell. Well, I'm the speedy guy that runs around you giants.

McCloud24 posted:

I once went to an indoor pickup thing having heard that they were always looking for keepers. The reason was because no one else wanted to do it. I saw everyone taking a knee after the game and I wondered what they were doing. Turns out the last one to take a knee had to play keeper. Needless to say they were kind of surprised when I said I not only wanted to, but that I'd keep doing it over multiple games.

Also in my outdoor league, I was the only consistent keeper, and probably the only player to play ever minute of his team's game. We had other teams that would rotate two or three times just during a game. Whenever the first keeper would allow too many they'd rotate, etc. The one I felt the worst for was this team we beat 6-0, because their first goalkeeper was this really fat woman, and they'd obviously chosen her thinking she could use her sheer width.

Like Rama said, I don't think I've ever played a game with a proper goalkeeper. I can only think of one guy at my local Powerleague that plays in goal all the time like yourself and he wears the whole get up - a tight lycra bodysuit with knee and elbow padding. Goalkeepers are weird.

Maybe it would make a big difference to have a proper keeper, but I quite like being able to take a break from play to sit in goal for a bit. It's annoying in winter as it makes it harder to keep warm, but we usually rotate every two goals or 5 minutes - whichever comes first - so we're never in for too long. It's fun every now and then, especially dwelling on the ball to release it, as you don't ever get so much time to pick out a nice cross or throw to a teammate when you're out on the pitch.

Lol at the fat lass, that's pretty raw.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Just like to say that iajanus' tips for playing keeper on the last page are pretty helpful if you're having trouble getting down to stop low shots. I'm not as tall as you guys (6'1") but I was having similar trouble. Just let gravity help you out.

Also, my team have made the final of the league this weekend, and for my first extended run in goal it's gone pretty well overall, I had a bit of a mare the first couple of games but my positioning and judgement of when to come out has definitely improved. Next on the list of things to work on: distribution.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

quoting said tips for great justice:

iajanus posted:

As for goalie advice, the most important thing is to be definite. If you're coming out, come out. If not, don't come out a little, you're just setting yourself up for a chip or to be sidestepped. Most players don't like being pressured, so if you can quickly get up in their face you can normally hurry them into a rash shot or mistake. You can't be afraid of getting kicked, there will definitely be situations where you're sliding in at people's feet to snatch the ball. Just make sure to curl up in a ball as you're grabbing it and there's not much damage they can do to you (plus it's satisfying to take them out if they've been hitting you in corner situations). Be brave, it's the difference between good keepers and poo poo ones.

I'm not sure the field dimensions in 7-a-side, but from a full field perspective you want to generally be standing about half-way from the 6 yard box to the edge of the area - it should make it very easy to come out and dispatch (or pick up) long through balls whilst being fairly easy to get back to your line. As for getting down to low shots, are you diving or using your feet? If the ball isn't too far away from you it may be much faster to put out a foot quickly rather than try to get body or hands down and behind the ball.

e: basically, use gravity to help. Slam a leg (and as much body as possible) out one way and drop in that direction and you'll be much faster. If you're coming out towards them all the better, it'll be much more effective than trying to get a hand or arm down that far that quickly. Always use your whole body as a weapon :) When doing so you also free up the rest of your body to react to any rebounds or tricks, and to push yourself back to standing after the save in case of another attempt.

You'll probably find it far more natural to dive one way than the other, so if it's coming to the other side you may find it easy to (almost) slide tackle in that direction keeping your legs out and arms and torso up (or at least aware in case of a shot across your body). As always, making yourself as big as possible always helps. There's a good exercise we use at practice that helps in speed and reaction work: start by lying down at one goalpost with someone on the edge of the box with the ball on one side and someone near the spot. As the person on the edge of the box passes it to the one on the spot, jump up and sprint towards them. They then shoot, picking any direction; you try to save it. It really helps you get used to having to gauge the distances to come out and when to stay back, as well as practising reactions saves. As always, saving low is a matter of practice, so just keep at it and you'll find it gets easier.

The only other thing I'd add to this is, when possible, make sure you get your body behind the ball when making a save. No-one's going to blame you if you miss/deflect the hard ones, but if you let a low dribbler of a shot through because you were too lazy to get your body down, people aren't going to be very happy.

Good advice re: sticking a leg out for low reaction saves, I make more toe saves than fingertip saves (although I've been playing indoor with the 3ft high goals recently, outdoor season starting soon).

Any specific advice for 11v11 corners/set pieces? On corners, I tend to stay on the goal-line about 2/3rds of the way across the goal (i.e. tending to the far side), but I don't think I'm aggressive enough coming out for high balls (I have the vertical jump of an elephant). For FKs, line the wall up from the near post, then stand in middle of the other half of the goal?

On a side note, the goalie in my team (not me) a few years ago Drogba'd an opposition guy going for a high ball off a corner, put both of them out for the season (goalie: busted hand, oppo player busted head). No goal though. :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Guitar_Hero posted:

Just like to say that iajanus' tips for playing keeper on the last page are pretty helpful if you're having trouble getting down to stop low shots. I'm not as tall as you guys (6'1") but I was having similar trouble. Just let gravity help you out.

Also, my team have made the final of the league this weekend, and for my first extended run in goal it's gone pretty well overall, I had a bit of a mare the first couple of games but my positioning and judgement of when to come out has definitely improved. Next on the list of things to work on: distribution.

Cheers, don't worry too much about height - hell, I'm only 5'10" :(. Confidence and aggression win every time. It's always useful to remember that the easiest way to score goals is to pass it into the bottom of the net - if you try to blast it into the top corner there's a much higher chance of missing. Hence, as goalie, you want to make people have to try to do so. Make them earn the goal with a great shot. Don't let them stand on the ball - if you can't get to it, yell at your defenders until one of them closes them down. You need to be vocal and angry at the lazy fuckers in order to be successful.

Thel - Normally I'd stand about where you're describing for corners. The most important thing is to be aggressive. Get to the ball. Run through your defenders. They're just speed bumps anyway. Be confident, and knock them out of the way if you will get there. They'll forgive you while you're toasting the clean sheet later. If the ball is coming anywhere within two metres of the goal mouth you should be punching it clear. Don't rely on defenders, they won't help you that much. Just swing through and get it the gently caress out of there. Don't bother trying to catch it unless you're completely open. Safety is the watchword. And don't be afraid to shove away any attackers trying to pressure you before the kick - no one will ever blow a foul against you as long as you don't punch anyone :D.

Free kicks: you're right, the wall should cover one side and you the other. More people in the wall the more central the free kick. Be very careful for chipped passes landing over the wall, and get out fast to punch/catch. Not much is more embarrassing than someone flying in to head it in as you come to retrieve it. Just get to the ball fast and get it clear immediately. Catch if possible.

Finally, don't be afraid of getting hurt. It will happen. Last year I had two broken ribs, three broken fingers (one that dislocated twice as well - yay for having to have it rebroken to get back in place), any number of cuts and bruises and was knocked out for 2 minutes (but finished the game for a 2-0 win :wotwot:). You will be injured if you do your job. Live with it, or change positions.

E: and yeah, body behind the ball when possible. Especially for long shots that don't look too scary. No need for any embarrassment.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 26, 2012

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Just came home from playing football and there was a guy there that went completely mental and had a meltdown because someone on my team lightly pushed him when he was clear on goal. He started yelling and screaming, repeating everything people said to him with a whiny voice and went on to score four intentional own goals and between those he tried to kick the poo poo out of everyone on my team whenever he had the chance. I love watching a proper meltdowns, especially when we're just training.

I don't think he's going to come back anymore :D

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I can live with a sly push in the back when clean through, that kind of thing is always good for a laugh. It pisses me off massively though when someone keeps leaving a foot in, challenging late or leading with their elbow every time in a kickabout between friends though. If it's someone I know well I always call them out on it, it stops being fun when you need a referee because there's a foul every couple of minutes.

I think I'd walk off before I started scoring 4 own goals though, jesus. :psyduck:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I gave a guy a sly push in the back once because I was 1 defender defending a corner vs 3 Strikers and I could only see one way of getting out of that situation ha. Wasn't even a big push, I just put weight on his back to ruin his jump for the cross. A foul sure but no biggie considering I had 3 people to look after imo.

Interestingly he decided to chase me down the pitch on the next 2 counter attacks and twice decided to stick his leg inbetween mine then just try and kick me in the balls instead of making any effort for the ball.

I don't know who invited him along as he is pretty new to the game, but after his 2nd kick, I and 'politley' told him not to do it again and he has only just started speaking to me 5 weeks later... I've noticed whenever someone takes the ball past him he often tries a sneaky foot in to trip someone up, bit of a dick move really especially as it's a friendly game. He's a decent player when he is in a good mood as well, shame.

Doesn't quite match 4 own goals though jesus christ haha. I'd rugby tackle him at the 2nd attempt!

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

Gutted about last night. Got into half time at 1-1 and we changed keepers only to capitulate and lose 7-1. They were WANK and I'm annoyed we didn't go in at HT a goal up.

I got pushed over in the area and instead of a penalty was told to get up. By my own team mates.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Gutted about last night. Got into half time at 1-1 and we changed keepers only to capitulate and lose 7-1. They were WANK and I'm annoyed we didn't go in at HT a goal up.

I got pushed over in the area and instead of a penalty was told to get up. By my own team mates.

Sounds like you need a new signing in this January window to make a real difference

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Wonderful, a thread where I get to talk about how awesome I am.
I play in a 11v11 league in Huntsville, Alabama.
The team makes me play stopper on defense. I'm trying to get more playing time as midfield and forward, now that I feel our other defensive guys have gotten good enough to not rely on me chasing everything down.

Here's a nice collage of people trying to murder me....
http://imgur.com/a/HGwBC
The picture where the guy has my shirt, he also has my shorts giving me an atomic wedgie. Somehow, the gf's and wives taking pictures on the side have a knack for capturing photos of me being fouled.

My team is about to start its 3rd season. We won 4th division our first season and moved to 3rd division. Unfortunately, our second season we got out to a slow start and ended up 3rd. We split games with both teams that finished ahead of us(won 1 and lost 1 against each). We've already scrimmaged the team relegated to our division this season and the 2 teams that moved up into our division this season and murdered all 3 of them, and were dominant against the teams remaining in our division last season, so hopefully we will make it to second division next season.

I can further explain if that was confusing and anyone actually cares.

EDIT - Also, where do we talk about our shoes? Do we do that here, or is there a thread for shoe talk?

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 28, 2012

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

Taff posted:

Sounds like you need a new signing in this January window to make a real difference

We are looking at a number of options that will hopefully bring something to the team.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

iajanus posted:

Cheers, don't worry too much about height - hell, I'm only 5'10" :(.

5'8" here, and sorry guys, but all this talk about how hard it is for tall keepers makes me feel kind of awesome. Wherever I play I'm always the shortest keeper they've ever had, but I work a lot on leg strength and calisthenics so I can jump like crazy. It was pretty hard being taken seriously in high school as a keeper shorter than 5'10".

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, big Greg managed 2 goals today. His hat-trick a few weeks ago was against a man down so it was fantastic too see the lad grab goals in an even contest. I myself only bagged the one but I did manage to set up a header with a smashing first-time cross. Still, was a bit :420: so didn't do a lot of running.

One of their keepers blatantly handled the ball outside the box and so we were given a penalty. Little bastard Pirez subbed himself in for the penalty. It slammed against the bar but I'm still not in agreement with his antics. In a game of 5's, if a penalty is conceeded it should be the original keeper and striker who take/face the penalty.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Ramagamma posted:

Haha, big Greg managed 2 goals today. His hat-trick a few weeks ago was against a man down so it was fantastic too see the lad grab goals in an even contest. I myself only bagged the one but I did manage to set up a header with a smashing first-time cross. Still, was a bit :420: so didn't do a lot of running.

One of their keepers blatantly handled the ball outside the box and so we were given a penalty. Little bastard Pirez subbed himself in for the penalty. It slammed against the bar but I'm still not in agreement with his antics. In a game of 5's, if a penalty is conceeded it should be the original keeper and striker who take/face the penalty.

A penalty kick was taken for a handball outside of the box? Or a free kick?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

cosmicjim posted:

A penalty kick was taken for a handball outside of the box? Or a free kick?

A penalty kick because it was the goalie who handled it when it was outside our box. A bit of a strange rule when I read it back to myself but thats how we play. Most of the time we don't bother for fouls for that kind of thing but the keeper blatantly palmed it away from one of our strikers when it was a foot outside the box.

5's again tonight. Me and Steve are pre-picking the teams tonight as is SOP for the past few games. It's nice to know that I'm going in with the best lazy goalscorer, the best running goalscorer and the player with the best ball control. That sound ridiculous but we are against the player who runs the most, the player who never gives the ball away and the best all round footballer. Oh and the guy with the dodgy leg. Perfect excuse for some pre match :420:

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Well, my team got absolutely murdered last night in the league playoff final, against a team that we'd earlier beaten 7-1. It must have got them up for it a bit, because we got stomped, 9-0. I've never lost that big before, nor has anyone else on the team. In our defence, we were missing our two midfield workhorses who both got injured last week, and our flair player fractured his toe, so he couldn't actually run properly and we just got caught on the break every single time. I should probably have done better closing down, but when it's 2 or 3 vs. the keeper it's tough. Their keeper was loving amazing as well, saved every single shot on target, and got saved by the post two or three times.

Still, second place in the league after a bad start isn't bad, but...ehhhh. Definitely improved as a keeper over the last few months though, so thanks to everyone in the thread for the tips and encouragement!

edit: oh yeah cosmicjim, shoe chat is in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

What do you mean you don't want to play with our new match ball?