Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Alhazred posted:

It looks like Radcliffe is walking past a mural or something.

That's exactly why I like it-- it looks like an old-school pulp horror poster.

I'm such a sucker for that style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I want to be clear here, are you saying Elizabeth Banks looks like a hag or is that 1st person?

I will personally defenestrate anyone who speaks ill of Elizabeth Banks. She is the prettiest, sweetest and at the same time dirtiest person I have ever met IRL.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of horror movies:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anna Kendrick is so great -- that movie is going to be terrible though. And it will make a fuckton of money based on the fact that Facebook is now Babybook.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't see what's good about this poster. It looks like a bad Photoshop job, granted, it's not the usual bad Photoshop job, but it's still bad. Filter upon filter with no sense of layout.

:ssh: It is painted.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

davidspackage posted:

Aside from that, I get the idea of making character posters since it has a lot of big names, but none of the quotes are either funny or tell you anything about the character.

They make the posters look really unbalanced too. There's all this negative space with just a tiny box of text to occupy it, and it winds up looking weird.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I know it's fan made but I'm seeing ALOT of basklash for this movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

What. The. gently caress?

An instantly recognisable, arguably iconic poster, and they replace it with that?

I feel like they guess they have to do a new cover when they do a new edition of a DVD, just so nobody gets confused and you can pick out the latest/best/preferred release, and for all the early releases they just used the poster, so now they have to make things up and they're not very good at it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The vibe I get from those Expecting posters is that the film makers are trying to make a raunchy "chick-flick" with posters aimed at getting males to see the films (ie the quotes about racks and being horny). It seem's a bit like pandering but not any more than other posters. I just hope it isn't raunchy for raunchy sake (pretty much saying Bridesmaids made a poo poo ton of money so lets do that again).

Comedy option: Here is a pandering poster done right:

(I own this one and am drat proud of it)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

The vibe I get from those Expecting posters is that the film makers are trying to make a raunchy "chick-flick" with posters aimed at getting males to see the films (ie the quotes about racks and being horny). It seem's a bit like pandering but not any more than other posters. I just hope it isn't raunchy for raunchy sake (pretty much saying Bridesmaids made a poo poo ton of money so lets do that again).

Comedy option: Here is a pandering poster done right:

(I own this one and am drat proud of it)

All the Sin City posters were pretty great. I have the one that's all red, with Marv walking with his back towards the viewer, that says "Walk down the right back alley in Sin City and you can find anything...anything" in the same boxes that one has. It was slick looking.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

As per my previous post, I like illustrated posters and minimalist posters (done right). Mondo's collective of posters from various artists are loving awesome in that regard. Saw someone post the My Neighbor Totoro variants from Olly Moss, but really, Mondo's whole archive of movie posters is pretty drat great. [link]

Some of my favorites are from Tyler Stout and Olly Moss:

Tyler Stout

Olly Moss

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 27, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

penismightier posted:

It reminds me of the poster for House on Haunted Hill, too.

My first reaction was, "Harry Potter has stumbled into a Vincent Price movie!"

Looks like others felt the same way.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

They made a movie out of a book that is basically a list of pregnancy symptoms? I can see why so little effort went into the posters.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

veonenergee posted:

As per my previous post, I like illustrated posters and minimalist posters (done right). Mondo's collective of posters from various artists are loving awesome in that regard. Saw someone post the My Neighbor Toto variants from Olly Moss, but really, Mondo's whole archive of movie posters is pretty drat great. [link]

I have these two:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mister Chief posted:

He's never going to release this to the public, is he. :smith:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

He's never going to release this to the public, is he. :smith:

There was a lottery to win the chance to buy the poster awhile ago, that's how I got mine. I bought Robocop direct from his site back in 2008 for a whopping $30.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Mad Men promo poster.

And this Hungarian poster for Shame is said to have been banned. No tits or genitals, but maybe I should just link it in case it's :nws:.
http://i.imgur.com/ZQSzJ.jpg

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

slinkimalinki posted:

They made a movie out of a book that is basically a list of pregnancy symptoms? I can see why so little effort went into the posters.

What the gently caress is with this tagline?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rap Music and Dope posted:

What the gently caress is with this tagline?

Do you mean the character quote or the "conceived from the best-selling book"?

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
I mean who the gently caress is like OK 9 MONTHS OF PREGNANCY FOR SOME BIGGER BREASTS gently caress YEAH

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I mean who the gently caress is like OK 9 MONTHS OF PREGNANCY FOR SOME BIGGER BREASTS gently caress YEAH

Men who write dialogue for pregnant women in movies based off of books about "things that happen when you are pregnant." So...horrible people, I guess?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

People that have been brainwashed by the media-created CULT OF BABY that has gone into overdrive in the last 5 years?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

veonenergee posted:

As per my previous post, I like illustrated posters and minimalist posters (done right). Mondo's collective of posters from various artists are loving awesome in that regard. Saw someone post the My Neighbor Totoro variants from Olly Moss, but really, Mondo's whole archive of movie posters is pretty drat great. [link]

Some of my favorites are from Tyler Stout and Olly Moss:

Tyler Stout

That's a great poster except it makes me think the title is "KUATO LIVES" even though I've seen Total Recall.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

That's a great poster except it makes me think the title is "KUATO LIVES" even though I've seen Total Recall.

I would totally watch a Total Recall spinoff based on Kuato with that title.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

On some level I think it's kind of admirable to try and convince people that being pregnant doesn't make you a sexless blob that should be locked in a padded room for 9 months, but then they do it by objectifying pregnant women :doh:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

People that have been brainwashed by the media-created CULT OF BABY that has gone into overdrive in the last 5 years?

loving breeders, am I right? :jerkbag:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The MSJ posted:

And this Hungarian poster for Shame is said to have been banned. No tits or genitals, but maybe I should just link it in case it's :nws:.
http://i.imgur.com/ZQSzJ.jpg

That's pretty gross.

I mean, it's effective and I get what they were going for, but ew.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

That's pretty gross.

I mean, it's effective and I get what they were going for, but ew.

When I saw this the first time I thought, well that's pretty clever, that's also something pretty much every adult deals with and instantly recognizes.

Then I tried to describe it to my boss and when I said the words outloud "It's the title Shame spelled out on a girl's back in cum" I realized that this poster is pretty much filth.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mister Chief posted:

There was a lottery to win the chance to buy the poster awhile ago, that's how I got mine. I bought Robocop direct from his site back in 2008 for a whopping $30.

I think he meant the fully uncut, 4 hour long, one movie edition of Kill Bill, called "The Whole Bloody Affair." I thought I heard about it being released in Japan a while ago, but other than that, nothing :(

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think he meant the fully uncut, 4 hour long, one movie edition of Kill Bill, called "The Whole Bloody Affair." I thought I heard about it being released in Japan a while ago, but other than that, nothing :(

That screening wasn't even the whole bloody affair. It was just the Japanese cut of Kill Bill 1 and Kill Bill 2 shown back to back. If the real whole bloody affair is ever completed it is supposed to be one seamless film with new animated sequences.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

It's been nearly 8 years since Kill Bill Volume 2 came out. I don't think The Whole Bloody Affair is happening.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

TheJoker138 posted:

Men who write dialogue for pregnant women in movies based off of books about "things that happen when you are pregnant." So...horrible people, I guess?

Three women wrote this movie.

I mean it still looks awful and it's a bit hosed up that the marketers latched on to that quote but facts, y'know.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

It's been nearly 8 years since Kill Bill Volume 2 came out. I don't think The Whole Bloody Affair is happening.

About 4 years ago, Amazon.com had a page up for The Whole Bloody Affair on DVD. They even had a picture of the cover, and a release date. You could pre-order it. Then that day came and went, and...nothing. No announcement of cancellation, no announcement of it getting pushed back, no explanation as to why it was ever put up in the first place if it was the DVD equivalent to vaporware, nothing. I'm still mad about it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Just saw a trailer for this thing during 30 Rock.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We named the DOG Indiana!

BTW who can lend me a child so I can have an excuse to watch this?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
That just makes me want Treasure of the Lost Lamp to come back into print even more :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Just saw a trailer for this thing during 30 Rock.

They keep showing commercials for this on Cartoon Network. It looks loving TERRIBLE and includes one of the dogs going "Desert? I thought you said DESSERT!"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Alison Rosen from the Adam Carolla show does a great job of making fun of that book on the pod cast, here was the first one she did.

http://alisonrosen.com/2011/04/what-id-expect-if-i-were-expecting-excerpt-ch-1/

quote:

Excerpt from What I’d Expect if I Were Expecting, Chapter 1: Could I Be Pregnant?

…After months and months of not getting my period and being all fat, I began to wonder, could I be pregnant? It was the last thing I expected——me??? pregnant???– but the signs were all there. Unprotected sex some months before? Check. Morning sickness? Try morning, afternoon and evening sickness! Weird cravings? I’d eaten a pencil and two dry erase boards only moments before. My doctor pointing out the fetal heart rate on the fetal heart rate monitor? I made a mental note to pick up a pregnancy test on my way home from the bar…

Upcoming chapters include:

“What’s Up With My Areolas?”

“I Hope They Serve Ice Chips In Hell”

“What Do You Mean I Can’t Give Birth Underwater Surrounded By Dolphins?”

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Miramax closing down pretty much killed that dream forever :saddowns:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I thought part of the deal the Weinstiens signed was that they got to keep the full rights to "Kill Bill" mostly because of possible sequels but also because of the director's cut? Could be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Robert Denby posted:

I thought part of the deal the Weinstiens signed was that they got to keep the full rights to "Kill Bill" mostly because of possible sequels but also because of the director's cut? Could be wrong though.

You are partially right.

When the Weinsteins split from Miramax, part of the deal was that Miramax would keep the rights to Vol 1 & 2 while The Weinstein Company would get the rights to The Whole Bloody Affair. The rumor was that they were planning to theatrically re-release it some time after Grindhouse was released (but Grindhouse tanking killed that idea)

In early 2011, they screened the Cannes cut, at New Beverly Cinema, which is basically The Whole Bloody Affair with hard French subs and without the new anime sequence Tarantino was talking about in 2009.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 27, 2012