Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Nineball posted:

I want to get a scooter fairly soon (as in within the next few months) for my own personal transportation for when I don't need to do anything particularly intense or go too far, and I've been interested in the Honda Metropolitan. I found what I think is a deal on craigslist (http://houston.craigslist.org/mcd/2803088048.html) and I contacted the dealer about it and he said that it the original owner brought it in for a tune up but sold it back to them instead, so they're selling it with warranty and it's more or less new.

I'm fairly new to this and want to avoid making any sort of dumb mistakes if I can help it, so I was wondering if there's any advice to be given?

Well, for one, if you hadn't actually talked to the people I would be 100% sure that was a scam. That is, no joke, $1,000 less than what an '08 Metro would go for around me. Maybe it's a very taunting typo. I did look that place up, and they *appear* to be a legit dealer, so who knows!

If it does prove to be true, that is an amazing deal. Metros are great, simple scooters - I had an '04 and loved it. It would haul my 150lbs around at 37mph all day. '06 and newer had a mild update that gave them an extra 5mph or so.

As for what to look out for specifically, I'm not sure how much specific guidance I can give. https://www.urbanscootin.com is the biggest Metro-specific forum I can think of, but most drivetrain-related mechanical advice will be the same at https://www.totalruckus.com - the Ruckus and the Metro share an engine.

There are plenty of used motorcycle buying guides around online. Most of that info will be good for scooters, too - except for the shifting part. I'd do some Googling and dig around the sites above for any specific things to look for on a used Metro/Ruckus.

One CVT scooter-specific thing: if they let you test ride, make sure the bike is smooth when you accelerate. CVT roller/slider weights wear out, and you can get weird vibrations from the transmission at certain throttle, RPM, and speed combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Banter
Apr 1, 2001
I feel like a dick for dropping in 200 pages into this, but I am looking at Honda Shadows these days and want some opinions

After looking around I decided I wanted the bigger motor, either a 750 or 1100, because I am a fat rear end and would be doing a lot of highways miles. I've ridden for about 5 years now, though since I sold my bike and moved its been much rarer. Started on a Yamaha Seca II for 2.5 years, then semi shared a CBR600RR with my brother. It seems though, that in my area people really over value these bikes, just based on kbb/nada prices, although I know those aren't always exact.

I did find a 2000 Shadow Sabre 1100 for $2500, which seems to put it within what I would consider the right price, and it is the best priced by at least 1000 bucks for the same year when compared to everything else.

What should I look out for when I go to check this out? And what other cruisers should I be looking at? I don't know other models very well, coming from sportbikes. I like the cruiser, but if it gets too heavy or looks like a huge tourer bike with the large fairings, I don't like it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Endless Mike posted:

I was considering a Triumph for my next bike (not a Daytona) but mootmoot is turning me off the whole brand

Don't be turned off, the Bonneville is a great retro bike, the Street/Speed Triples are a ton of fun at reasonable prices, the aftermarket and rider mod communities are solid, even the Daytona's top notch for its crotch rockety class. Not all of us Triumph riders are raging asshats.

Crazy Banter posted:

I feel like a dick for dropping in 200 pages into this, but I am looking at Honda Shadows these days and want some opinions

I did find a 2000 Shadow Sabre 1100 for $2500, which seems to put it within what I would consider the right price, and it is the best priced by at least 1000 bucks for the same year when compared to everything else.

What should I look out for when I go to check this out? And what other cruisers should I be looking at? I don't know other models very well, coming from sportbikes. I like the cruiser, but if it gets too heavy or looks like a huge tourer bike with the large fairings, I don't like it.

I happen to really like the Shadows you're looking at because they don't get the enormous VTX frame. The thing is, a lot of (older) guys buy a Shadow or similar bike because they want to get into motorcycling and don't want to drop Harley money, ride it a few times a summer or two and then park it. So don't assume just because mileage may be low that proper maintenance has been done, see if the tires are rotted / flatspotted, brake lines are in ok shape, and make sure the brakes aren't rusted / seized.

The Kawasaki Vulcan variants are nice, somewhat different engine sizes and styling. I've heard some complaints that the switchgear can be kind of cheap; on the other hand you don't pay the Honda premium. I don't know much anything about the Suzuki and Yamaha / Star cruisers.

Be aware that coming off even a mild sportbike, pretty much any cruiser outside of the absurd musclebikes is going to feel way down on power. If you want highway comfort, something like an older VFR800, ST1300/FJR1300 or even an older literbike (Triumph Daytona, for instance!) might do you, depending on your tolerance for styling

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 24, 2012

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Zubumafoo posted:

He's looking at an old cruiser/standard and you recommend a Daytona? And as a (I'm assuming) first bike?

Jesus Christ.

Ducati Panigale. Why would anyone want to not buy one if they've got the money? They've probably been the best in class L-twin for as long as I can remember. Stay away from the older 1198 though, as the suspension doesn't adjust electronically meaning you have to do it with a screwdriver or some poo poo.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Gnaghi posted:

Ducati Panigale.
Holy hell, I was just checking out the specs for that bike. 195 hp? I can't even comprehend that.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 24, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zubumafoo posted:

Holy hell, I was just checking out the specs for that bike. 195 hp? I can't even comprehend that.

Try this figure on for size: 1037 hp/ton or 2.16 lb/hp

The Bugatti Veyron Supersport is 627 hp/ton or 3.57 lb/hp.

It's completely mindboggling in every way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Don't be turned off, the Bonneville is a great retro bike, the Street/Speed Triples are a ton of fun at reasonable prices, the aftermarket and rider mod communities are solid, even the Daytona's top notch for its crotch rockety class. Not all of us Triumph riders are raging asshats.
Yeah, I know. I'm legit interested in a Bonneville or Scrambler or Street Triple, with the Bonnie probably most likely.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Banter posted:

After looking around I decided I wanted the bigger motor, either a 750 or 1100, because I am a fat rear end and would be doing a lot of highways miles. I've ridden for about 5 years now, though since I sold my bike and moved its been much rarer. Started on a Yamaha Seca II for 2.5 years, then semi shared a CBR600RR with my brother. It seems though, that in my area people really over value these bikes, just based on kbb/nada prices, although I know those aren't always exact.

Just curious, where are you located it? I just bought a 1999 shadow spirit 1100 for $2750 with 15k miles which was, for central IL, pretty cheap. Weight wise, I didn't think it was much heavier than the shadow vlx 600 I owned previous.

As for what to look for, besides what was mentioned previously, see if it comes with a windshield or not. The one I bought came with a Memphis fat windshield that is easily removeable, which is roughly $300 extra. I really like the removeable windshield. I don't use it when I'm cruising around town, but if I'm on the interstate, its great.

This is all posted from my phone so its kind of short, I'll try to think of some other things and post them tonight.

Crazy Banter
Apr 1, 2001

americanzero4128 posted:

Just curious, where are you located it? I just bought a 1999 shadow spirit 1100 for $2750 with 15k miles which was, for central IL, pretty cheap. Weight wise, I didn't think it was much heavier than the shadow vlx 600 I owned previous.

As for what to look for, besides what was mentioned previously, see if it comes with a windshield or not. The one I bought came with a Memphis fat windshield that is easily removeable, which is roughly $300 extra. I really like the removeable windshield. I don't use it when I'm cruising around town, but if I'm on the interstate, its great.

This is all posted from my phone so its kind of short, I'll try to think of some other things and post them tonight.

I'm looking in the atlanta area, although I am back and forth almost weekly between there and Knoxville, TN, so anything in between would be good. The $2.5k shadow I've been looking at has something like 22k miles on it, which really doesn't seem terrible. I'm pretty sure the reason its going for the price it is, is cause the guy is way outta town and prob has not had many people looking. It's pretty bare as far as extras go, no windshield, no bags, but has the sissy bar. Personally I hate the way the windshields look, so I'm not too upset that its missing it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm curious, what's CA's opinion of the Street Triple? I'm definitely not looking to buy anything new this year, or maybe not even next year, but I like to plan ahead. This would be my second bike, coming from a CB650 Nighthawk. I was kind of looking for something with more power, but still keeping a semi naked/standard aesthetic.

I realize it's a whole different animal than what I'm riding now, but I feel like it's a good upgrade in power, agility, etc without going too overboard.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Zubumafoo posted:

I'm curious, what's CA's opinion of the Street Triple? I'm definitely not looking to buy anything new this year, or maybe not even next year, but I like to plan ahead. This would be my second bike, coming from a CB650 Nighthawk. I was kind of looking for something with more power, but still keeping a semi naked/standard aesthetic.

I realize it's a whole different animal than what I'm riding now, but I feel like it's a good upgrade in power, agility, etc without going too overboard.

Rode one before I got my Tuono, its loving awesome. Just a bit more money than I wanted to spend and a bit uglier, IMO of course. Sorry for lack of detail, I only road it at sub 50mph speeds on a boring road.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zubumafoo posted:

Fantastic engine, good bike all around, get the R model for the nicer suspension if you can. Can't really go wrong. Good second bike.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I always liked the Triumphs but Filenotfound had a pretty damning list of grievances with his Sprint. I have no idea how much transfers over to the Street Triple though.

FileNotFound posted:

I own a 2009 Triumph Sprint ST ABS.

Here are 10 things you need to know before you buy a Sprint:

1. They depreciate worse than any other major brand. I paid $6,700 for a 2009 with 6k miles on it this spring. Do not buy a new Triumph, it will be worth half in 2 years.
2. Build Quality is iffy. You will have stupid issues like bolts that are cross-threaded from the factory, wires that are stripped too far and stick out of connectors, bearings that are not greased and hoses that are not clamped down tightly.
3. Any part you want no mater how seemingly common it ought to be will require a 2-5 week wait and parts are not cheap.
4. There is virtually zero aftermarket support for Sprints, be it seats or exhausts, your choices are limited and expensive.
5. Triumph loves Special Triumph Tools. You'll have to deal with 46mm sockets, massive snap rings, and giant torx screws. Expect lots of show stoppers the first time if you do your own repairs/service.
6. Triumph service procedures require replacing tons of reusable parts like said snap rings, screws, seals etc. Those parts are stupidly expensive and your dealer will happily perform all service by the book.
7. As a result of the above your 12k mile service will cost $800 at a dealer.
8. There are no truly good maintenance manuals. The Haynes is terrible. The online community doesn't have many how-to guides.
9. Sprint instrument panel sucks. Your speed display is analog with impossible to read numbers, your digital display is worthless and can only display one thing at a time (IE: Time, Distance to Empty, AVG MPG, etc).
10. The Sprint online community is awful. Seriously - it's a bunch of old guys circle-jerking each other and squelching any discussion they don't like because one of them is a mod. You'll see the same 5-7 guys posting over and over and over and dog piling anyone else.

With that said, the Sprint is a fantastic bike and by far the sportiest sport touring bike you can get. It's cheap compared to other bikes and if you do the maintenance yourself it's not expensive to own. It was half as expensive as any other bike that I was excited about. I absolutely love the bike, I just wish it didn't spend 4 weeks of the summer waiting for replacement parts.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'd agree with most of those. Support for the Sprint is mediocre because it's just not popular. Aftermarket and community support are going to be way better for the Street - even more so than the Speed, since the Street is more or less a naked Daytona with different cans. That does mean that community will be full of bros telling you to throw on some spikes and chrome rimmz, but that's how most sportbike-specific forums are.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I recently got in an argument with some dude on the TriumphRAT Speed Triple forum where he was trying to convince people to darkside their literbike nakeds to save on tire costs. Sometimes you just want to scream and cover your eyes and hustle back to the relative sanity of CA

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

That does mean that community will be full of bros telling you to throw on some spikes and chrome rimmz, but that's how most sportbike-specific forums are.

I resent that! :argh:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sorry, mootmoot has poisoned the well.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Zubumafoo posted:

Sorry, mootmoot has fallen sideways into the well.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I recently got in an argument with some dude on the TriumphRAT Speed Triple forum where he was trying to convince people to darkside their literbike nakeds to save on tire costs. Sometimes you just want to scream and cover your eyes and hustle back to the relative sanity of CA

I'm knew to all this.. what does "darkside" mean?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Looks like it's about running car tires on motorcycles. :psyduck:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

thylacine posted:

I'm knew to all this.. what does "darkside" mean?

I was going to ask this but I just figured I was missing something obvious.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Looks like it's about running car tires on motorcycles. :psyduck:

Bingo. It's something some cruiser guys do for looks, and some long-distance tourers do for high mileage on straight highways, so as long as you don't mind that extra turn-in resistance as you go up on the sidewall it should work great on a streetfighter, right?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I think it looks cool, but even from a non-rider car guy's perspective there's no loving way I'd want to be turning on the sidewall. There's not a whole lot of rubber there, like maybe a couple centimeters on a pricey tire. Really high pucker factor. :staredog:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Darksiders don't even get nice tires, they'll buy the cheapest, hardest, worst excuse for rubber they can find just to save a few bucks.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Guys, I'm torn. I need guidance. I want to buy a motorbike but I don't know what.

I've been riding scooters for >7 years, and a manually-shifted 150cc for several of those. I've spent a good many hours piloting an '03 883R, my dad's "spare" bike. I'm not a total newbie, but this would be my first all-mine full-size motorcycle.

At first I thought I'd find a ~$1500 old bike, some 70s-80s Japanese standard in the 450-650cc range. I'm still toying with this idea, but I'm not sure I want to deal with 30-year-old brakes and suspension and 3 decades of previous owners.

Now I'm thinking I should find a midsize bike in the $2-3k range, a newer used GS500F or Ninja 500. It seems pretty easy to find '04+ 500s in this price range.

I also see a lot of SV650s, particularly the first-gens with the rounded frames, for under $3k or barely over.

A big caveat is that I am not getting rid of my scooter, so I need a bike with a substantially different use case - mainly, that it's comfortably freeway capable. I don't plan on doing any Iron Butts but I want to be able to burn 250 slab miles to visit my parents. I've spent a lot of time at the limit of my scooters' abilities on 55-60mph roads, and I don't want to relive that at 75mph.

I guess basically what I'm asking is:
-How justified are my concerns about 30-year-old bikes w/r/t brakes, suspension, etc.?
-EX500 or GS500? Pros/cons? Things to watch for with used ones?
-Skip the small stuff, save a couple more months, and buy a nice used new Bonneville for $5k?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

:words:

Is there any reason you're not looking for a Kawi Ninja 250 or a SV650?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Korwen posted:

Is there any reason you're not looking for a Kawi Ninja 250 or a SV650?

I cringe every time I hear someone else say it, but I want something bigger than a 250. I am keeping my eyes open for SV650s, but most that turn up are just a bit more than I want to spend.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I cringe every time I hear someone else say it, but I want something bigger than a 250. I am keeping my eyes open for SV650s, but most that turn up are just a bit more than I want to spend.

What are the price of Bandits where you are? They might not be as sought after as SV650s. But their semi-rarity causes weird prices.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
To give you an idea of how hard the engine on a 2005 GS500F is working on the highway, in 6th gear it goes...

100kph (60mph) at 5000rpm
120kph (75mph) at 6000rpm
140kph (87mph) at 7000rpm

...and redlines at 11000rpm, so there's still lots of room left, though anything over 7500rpm has the engine screaming.

Holding 120kph at 6000rpm is comfortable.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Ziploc posted:

What are the price of Bandits where you are? They might not be as sought after as SV650s. But their semi-rarity causes weird prices.

They don't turn up much, but on Seattle CL right now there's an '04 with 33,000mi and an '01 with 22k and sikk blue lightz, both for $3100. Hm. Guess I'll be adding that to my search terms.

Thanks for those numbers, epswing, those are reassuring.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I guess basically what I'm asking is:
-How justified are my concerns about 30-year-old bikes w/r/t brakes, suspension, etc.?
I have a 78 Honda cb750. 38,000 miles. I've put a few pictures up here, I am in the process of rebuilding all the systems you are concerned with. This fall I bought it and put a 1000 miles on it. Bad fork seals, squeaky brakes, dirty carbs. I ran a can of seafoam through it and it has ran great since. Brakes appear to have been dragging on rotor due to an ungreased caliper mount. I've put in all new bearings and bushings everywhere, new seals, new bolts and greased everything that moves. Total cost of bike and parts is right around $1,000. Once it moves back out to the garage I will put new brake fluid in, but other than that the system functions just fine.

An old bike would be an alright option if you have a well stocked toolbox and enjoy taking things apart, cleaning, inspecting and greasing them. Don't forget polishing. The buy-in on a CB is higher than others, but parts are readily available and not expensive. If you don't have room or the desire to do something like that, overall it would probably be cheaper (at least easier) to buy something newer and better maintained. Starting with something decent is important. 30 years old or 5, it's still got a PO.

Working on 30 year old electronics and wiring can be a bitch though. I would say go for it if you are confident in your abilities all around.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

So, myself, little brother and best friend want to get into motorcycles, and more specifically into riding really really long distances to places that are not Ohio.

I personally want to move into doing fire roads and other dual sport types of things while doing 75% road. The other two people both share this opinion but are considering getting Ninja 250's for the time being. I'm fairly okay with that idea. A nice little acceptably powered street bike would be fantastic. I don't know how well a Ninja would respond to 2 month trip level of packing (lightweight backpacking gear included) with 6' tall 160-180lb guys, though. Both in weight and in gear existing that will hold that on a Ninja.

I'm sort of drawn to a KLR650. As far as I can tell, it's perfect for the kind of riding I'd like to eventually do. Does great on the highway (as far as I've read, anyway) and will happily handle boring offroad, not very muddy at all stuff.
It's also really tall and fairly heavy (and expensive compared to a Ninja), and the absolute last thing I want to do is gently caress up my learning experience. I don't know how idiotic a 2" drop and street oriented tires would improve that.

I honestly don't know what else to look at. I've thought about the KLX250SF, WR250X, CRF230M, DRZ400SM and probably a few more I'm forgetting. All sort of discounted for reasons like highway stability (or ability to actually go highway speeds without worrying), tiny fuel tank, hard to find/expensive or something else similar.

I think I want something that will handle the gear for long trips, be totally stable and happy at highway speeds and preferably be able to do some light offroad. A decent range is pretty important, although I keep telling myself that a 2.5 gallon aux tank on the tail of the bike makes supermoto's a viable option.

I'm also terrified of power and don't know if I could possibly trust myself with any kind of real power/weight ratio. The KLR seems fine, but it's also a big heavy thumper. Something like a DRZ400SM seems terrifying.

I keep coming back to either a KLR650, or just buying a Ninja 250, learning how to ride and then selling it in favor of something I can go ride around in Alaska with.

Long winded post. :v:

e: Another retarded part of me wants to go find a $1000 XT225 or something similar and just learn/commute on it for a while. This seems dumb too.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 28, 2012

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Hypnolobster posted:

I personally want to move into doing fire roads and other dual sport types of things while doing 75% road. The other two people both share this opinion but are considering getting Ninja 250's for the time being. I'm fairly okay with that idea. A nice little acceptably powered street bike would be fantastic. I don't know how well a Ninja would respond to 2 month trip level of packing (lightweight backpacking gear included) with 6' tall 160-180lb guys, though. Both in weight and in gear existing that will hold that on a Ninja.
The rear suspension gets to be way too soft when you get up to ~220-250lbs on the bike (it is already, but this is where it really suffers), but the bike itself would be fine for a bit of touring. You'd probably want to gear it a little taller so you're not constantly running the engine ragged.

Hypnolobster posted:

I'm sort of drawn to a KLR650. As far as I can tell, it's perfect for the kind of riding I'd like to eventually do. Does great on the highway (as far as I've read, anyway) and will happily handle boring offroad, not very muddy at all stuff.
It's also really tall and fairly heavy (and expensive compared to a Ninja), and the absolute last thing I want to do is gently caress up my learning experience. I don't know how idiotic a 2" drop and street oriented tires would improve that.
Both the Ninjette and KLR are fantastic beginners bikes. Since the designs were so long lasting (I'm assuming here that you're talking about the older versions of both), there is information online for everything that you'd ever need to know about them (edit: and parts are super easy to find). Comparitively, the KLR does have the disadvantage of being taller and heavier than the Ninja, but if you were to use one as your first bike, it will shrug off any minor drop you subject it to.

Hypnolobster posted:

I honestly don't know what else to look at. I've thought about the KLX250SF, WR250X, CRF230M, DRZ400SM and probably a few more I'm forgetting. All sort of discounted for reasons like highway stability (or ability to actually go highway speeds without worrying), tiny fuel tank, hard to find/expensive or something else similar
This is where my knowledge ends, someone else will pipe up on these.

Hypnolobster posted:

I think I want something that will handle the gear for long trips, be totally stable and happy at highway speeds and preferably be able to do some light offroad. A decent range is pretty important, although I keep telling myself that a 2.5 gallon aux tank on the tail of the bike makes supermoto's a viable option.

I'm also terrified of power and don't know if I could possibly trust myself with any kind of real power/weight ratio. The KLR seems fine, but it's also a big heavy thumper. Something like a DRZ400SM seems terrifying.
The DRZ is pretty low on the power scale, it's just very agile if you want it to be.

Hypnolobster posted:

I keep coming back to either a KLR650, or just buying a Ninja 250, learning how to ride and then selling it in favor of something I can go ride around in Alaska with.
The latter is probably your best bet. With the Ninja, you get a comfortable, light, and easy-to-handle bike to learn on that's still capable of most things you'd want to do with it, and when it comes time to sell it, you'll get however much you paid for it back, if not make a little profit.

Long winded reply :v:

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

http://savannah.craigslist.org/mcy/2820041983.html

Why do I feel like "hooked up" means the bike comes in a box?

Anyway, deal or no deal? The price seems right.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Hypnolobster posted:

So, myself, little brother and best friend want to get into motorcycles, and more specifically into riding really really long distances to places that are not Ohio.

I honestly don't know what else to look at. I've thought about the KLX250SF, WR250X, CRF230M, DRZ400SM and probably a few more I'm forgetting. All sort of discounted for reasons like highway stability (or ability to actually go highway speeds without worrying), tiny fuel tank, hard to find/expensive or something else similar.

Long winded post. :v:

e: Another retarded part of me wants to go find a $1000 XT225 or something similar and just learn/commute on it for a while. This seems dumb too.

The KLR is not all that great of a highway bike in my opinion, it vibrates a ton, the brakes are bad, suspension is soft etc. It's a great cheap bike and it's a great bike to abuse on rougher roads and loads of people like it for these purposes. The DR650 is a much better bike with a smoother engine, better bits all around and nearly as cheap.

You really do not "need" a dual sport to ride on a gravel road, a Honda Nighhawk, er-6i etc are also great standards that are going to provide much more long distance comfort, better street manners and still be just fine for going down a gravel road.

The XT225 is a great bike but it's slow, it can get up to highway speed but it'll take it's time doing it, however it will be leaps and bounds better than a KLR or DR in rough conditions. If you want to learn to ride and want to be comfortable riding in rough conditions the XT would be the bike I'd get to learn on. If you want to take a road trip as soon as possible I'd get a nighthawk, use it as a commuter for a while and then strap some luggage to the back and go.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
Pretty much a complete newbie when it comes to riding and scooters, so I'm hoping for some decent advice here.

I've heard the Honda Elite is a great scooter without needing a motorcycle license, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I had to sell my car a few months ago, and the bus routes in Orlando are not good at all, so I'm looking for something that's cheap, that I can drive around for very little, etc.

Anyway, this just popped up on my local craigslist - http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2774063193.html and to me it looks pretty good, but again I'm not at all knowledgeable on what to look for or to expect with a scooter.

Only thing I'm concerned about is rain, but I'm assuming with proper equipment and a poncho I should be alright, rain gets pretty vicious in florida.

But any advice, suggestions, etc would be fantastic. Just know I'm most likely going to be getting a scooter in the next month or so, so if anybody wants to suggest their favorite scooter please do.

I'm sure this doesn't need to be said, but just oh god no Chinese shits.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Ryen Deckard posted:

Pretty much a complete newbie when it comes to riding and scooters, so I'm hoping for some decent advice here.

I've heard the Honda Elite is a great scooter without needing a motorcycle license, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I had to sell my car a few months ago, and the bus routes in Orlando are not good at all, so I'm looking for something that's cheap, that I can drive around for very little, etc.

Anyway, this just popped up on my local craigslist - http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2774063193.html and to me it looks pretty good, but again I'm not at all knowledgeable on what to look for or to expect with a scooter.

Only thing I'm concerned about is rain, but I'm assuming with proper equipment and a poncho I should be alright, rain gets pretty vicious in florida.

But any advice, suggestions, etc would be fantastic. Just know I'm most likely going to be getting a scooter in the next month or so, so if anybody wants to suggest their favorite scooter please do.

I'm sure this doesn't need to be said, but just oh god no Chinese shits.

First, let me plug The Scooter Megathread. It fell onto the second page :(

Second, I'm really suspicious of not needing a motorcycle endorsement/license for an 80cc. In every state I've heard info for, the cutoff is 50cc (usually with other limits, too, like 30mph). That CL listing says the Elite 80 is the only 80cc bike that can be ridden without an endorsement? Is there something special about it?

Third, $1,200 is a lot of money for a 12 year old 80cc scooter. Honda Elites are good, and reliable, and there are tons of parts because they made them for like 25 years.

The 107 miles thing is actually a potential problem. Of course, it will need new oil (engine + final drive, $10 DIY). With all that time of disuse, the gas will have turned to poo poo and possibly hosed up the tank or other parts of the fuel system. The tires will need to be replaced, because 12-year-old rubber is worthless ($35/ea + labor). Other rubber bits in the engine and elsewhere may have dried out from disuse as well. And once you get it on the road you'll have to baby it while it breaks in, probably for ~500 more miles. The tires and oil are guarantees, the rest of this is just likely.

I'd pass. $1,200 can probably find you a newer 50cc that is as fast or maybe even faster - particularly if its 2-stroke - and will likely need less.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

First, let me plug The Scooter Megathread. It fell onto the second page :(

Second, I'm really suspicious of not needing a motorcycle endorsement/license for an 80cc. In every state I've heard info for, the cutoff is 50cc (usually with other limits, too, like 30mph). That CL listing says the Elite 80 is the only 80cc bike that can be ridden without an endorsement? Is there something special about it?

Third, $1,200 is a lot of money for a 12 year old 80cc scooter. Honda Elites are good, and reliable, and there are tons of parts because they made them for like 25 years.

The 107 miles thing is actually a potential problem. Of course, it will need new oil (engine + final drive, $10 DIY). With all that time of disuse, the gas will have turned to poo poo and possibly hosed up the tank or other parts of the fuel system. The tires will need to be replaced, because 12-year-old rubber is worthless ($35/ea + labor). Other rubber bits in the engine and elsewhere may have dried out from disuse as well. And once you get it on the road you'll have to baby it while it breaks in, probably for ~500 more miles. The tires and oil are guarantees, the rest of this is just likely.

I'd pass. $1,200 can probably find you a newer 50cc that is as fast or maybe even faster - particularly if its 2-stroke - and will likely need less.

Thanks a ton for the prompt response, and I've been checking out the scooter megathread. Can you suggest anything decent then? I would love to get a motorcycle endorsement, but this scooter is going to be for my girlfriend and myself to use as transportation, and 380$ for two motorcycle endorsements is a bit more than we can spend right now (on top of a vehicle).

It's not out of the realm of possibility, especially since my parents are talking about co-signing a loan for this purchase, but it's not in the cards right now.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Where are you that a moto endorsement costs $190?

Do you mean the cost of the MSF class? Because you really, really want to take that, endorsement or not.

E: also even for a scooter you should have a proper helmet at least (i.e. not some 30 year old hipster vintage junk), if not some safety jacket/gloves/ stuff. This needs to be in your budget as well.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Ryen Deckard posted:

Thanks a ton for the prompt response, and I've been checking out the scooter megathread. Can you suggest anything decent then? I would love to get a motorcycle endorsement, but this scooter is going to be for my girlfriend and myself to use as transportation, and 380$ for two motorcycle endorsements is a bit more than we can spend right now (on top of a vehicle).

It's not out of the realm of possibility, especially since my parents are talking about co-signing a loan for this purchase, but it's not in the cards right now.

Primary transportation for two people? That's rough. If you intend on riding 2-up you'll be disappointed with any 50cc, and, hell, most 125-150cc scooters, too.

But to stick with the 2t 50cc theme, here's a list off the top (and bottom?) of my head of 2t 50s from good brands:
-Yamaha Zuma and Vino (some Vino 50s are 4t)
-Genuine Buddy and Roughhouse
-Kymco Super 8 and Like
-Vespa ET2 (a bit older now, and will carry a Vespa premium)
-Aprilia SR50

I'd look for them roughly in that order, too: Yamaha/Genuine tied, then Kymco. The ET2 is pretty forgettable and the Aprilia will be comparatively very expensive (but very nice).

4-strokes are fine, too, but generally less powerful and slower, though they have more options - Honda Metropolitan and Ruckus, Vespa S and LX, Piaggio Fly, whatever Kymco and SYM call theirs.

edit to second snowden, buy and wear gear! At least good full-face helmets.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 29, 2012