Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

I had been looking only at black NB's, but I found a blue 99 10AE with low miles and a hardtop for under 10k :ohdear:

Do it.

Dooooooooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

Do it.

Dooooooooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I'll at least go check it out since I have nothing else to do this weekend

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

I'll at least go check it out since I have nothing else to do this weekend

I seriously considered an NB for the ladyfriend but I'm not so confident in her ability to drive a stick. I'm hoping when I flip the truck I can pick one up for myself.

This whole having a garage and driveway thing is going to get expensive.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I seriously considered an NB for the ladyfriend but I'm not so confident in her ability to drive a stick. I'm hoping when I flip the truck I can pick one up for myself.

This whole having a garage and driveway thing is going to get expensive.

My biggest hesitation is having never driven RWD for more than a light drive around the block

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

My biggest hesitation is having never driven RWD for more than a light drive around the block

It's cake. I went from a long line of FWD cars to my Cherokee and now i have the Lightning and it's no big thing at all.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's cake. I went from a long line of FWD cars to my Cherokee and now i have the Lightning and it's no big thing at all.

What about no ABS?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Nodoze posted:

What about no ABS?

Threshold braking and a puckered rear end in a top hat.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Nodoze posted:

What about no ABS?

I don't miss it one bit.*

* Ask me again next time someone pulls out in front of me though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sockington posted:

Threshold braking and a puckered rear end in a top hat.

I did this the first week of owning my NB.

Worked great :buddy:

Edit: In my case I wasn't paying enough attention to traffic and didn't notice that while the freeway itself was doing 70-80, the exit lane was backed up a half mile.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

I don't miss it one bit.*

* Ask me again next time someone pulls out in front of me though.

I try to avoid this by letting people go, or staying far enough back from the car in front of me that if they slam on the brakes I have enough time to safely slow down without having to do it myself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My Lightning has ABS so no big deal.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

My Lightning has ABS so no big deal.

Yeah but all these Miata's I'm looking at don't :ohdear:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
ABS is for pussies

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

Maybe you can cut a hole in the floorpan and do footstops, like when we all road bikes.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

aventari posted:

ABS is for pussies

I fully admit that I am a sissy

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
ABS is nice so that you don't run the risk of flat spotting brand new summer tires and/or race compounds.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Just wait until you lock up, and then back it off a bit (or crash into a school bus full of autistic kids).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Nodoze posted:

My 2002 NB has ABS. Maybe just spend a little extra :10bux:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mr.AARP posted:

Just wait until you lock up, and then back it off a bit (or crash into a school bus full of autistic kids).
It's ok, those kids are surprisingly terrible witnesses.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's ok, those kids are surprisingly terrible witnesses.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, think of the children! I am not a lawyer and I could get you the death penalty for crashing into a school bus.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
205/50/16 fit on the stock Enkei wheels on my 2002 NB?

I've got a set of BFG Super sports sitting in the basement from the Focus.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Stock Enkeis are 6.5" width I believe, which is the measured size for those tires, so I'd be willing to bet it'd work just fine. I know a lot of people run 205's on the stock 15x6 wheels, myself included.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

I fully admit that I am a sissy

A puckering rear end in a top hat is good for your digestion.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I put the stock seats back in the car. Sits so high but it's nice to not have to crawl out of bolsters. Gonna grab a spare set of sliders and I think I can get seat changes done in about 10 minutes if desired.
Someone needs to make a seat that holds you in by your torso but has reasonably small leg bolsters.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Piano posted:

I put the stock seats back in the car. Sits so high but it's nice to not have to crawl out of bolsters. Gonna grab a spare set of sliders and I think I can get seat changes done in about 10 minutes if desired.
Someone needs to make a seat that holds you in by your torso but has reasonably small leg bolsters.

Elise seats.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
What batteries are people using for their NAs (1.6 if it matters)? Mine won't hold a charge more than a couple days.

E: \/Thanks. After talking to my uncle (a Miata enthusiast) I borrowed a charger and am going to let it charge for a few days at 2 amps and then test it with a multimeter. It's not my DD. If it doesn't hold after that will go with a Westco for a replacement.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 30, 2012

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

Sten Freak posted:

What batteries are people using for their NAs (1.6 if it matters)? Mine won't hold a charge more than a couple days.

A WestCo battery is the best OEM replacement http://www.gomiata.com/wessealbat.html

These things last forever just like the OEM ones were known to do, they are a little pricier but I think worth it for the service life.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Nodoze posted:

What about no ABS?

My NA has ABS. It's confused a few Mazda mechanics first time they've seen it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think my NB has ABS, although I haven't seen it working yet because I can brake properly :smug:

The Miata truly is a wonderful machine, late last week the CEL was back on and the speedometer was stuck at 0 more often than not, but now everything is fixed! I do hope the Chinese hurry up with my ODBII scanner though.

That said, now that it gets down to about -10C in the mornings, it cranks significantly slower than normal. Is it just a dying battery (too :effort: and cold to go measure anything) or is there anything else that could be causing this?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I think my NB has ABS, although I haven't seen it working yet because I can brake properly :smug:

The Miata truly is a wonderful machine, late last week the CEL was back on and the speedometer was stuck at 0 more often than not, but now everything is fixed! I do hope the Chinese hurry up with my ODBII scanner though.

That said, now that it gets down to about -10C in the mornings, it cranks significantly slower than normal. Is it just a dying battery (too :effort: and cold to go measure anything) or is there anything else that could be causing this?

Mine's been cranking slow with a new OEM Mazda gel-battery. I switched to 5w30 synthetic to see if it helps (had 10w30 semi-synthetic).

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Sockington posted:

Mine's been cranking slow with a new OEM Mazda gel-battery. I switched to 5w30 synthetic to see if it helps (had 10w30 semi-synthetic).

It's probably your starter that's just worn out or has some shorts on the armature or field windings.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Why is there that wiring bracket above the oil filter on my NB? God that made it a bit of a bitch the other day in the cold for no good reason. I need to get in there and flatten that little bastard out or something.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame
I'm looking into buying a 2000ish MX-5 for $9,000ish with 60k~ miles. Is there anything I should look at in particular when going to buy this, or ask the dealer about? It's from a used dealership and I know basically next to nothing about cars and figured I would come for a little advice before I went exploring.

I've been slowly going through the thread and have been learning quite a bit.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's too much money. Our 04 MSM was like 12k 3 years ago. Anyway I would want proof of oil changes but that's about it. Try to find something cheaper though.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

revmoo posted:

That's too much money. Our 04 MSM was like 12k 3 years ago. Anyway I would want proof of oil changes but that's about it. Try to find something cheaper though.

Apart from oil changes and air filters yearly/10k, is there anything like cambelts or spark plugs that absolutely have to be done or it will total the engine? Does having a LSD mean anything different service wise?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Grayham posted:

It's probably your starter that's just worn out or has some shorts on the armature or field windings.

I disagree. When my battery was getting old it wouldn't crank for poo poo in the winter. New battery fixed it great.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

willie_dee posted:

Apart from oil changes and air filters yearly/10k, is there anything like cambelts or spark plugs that absolutely have to be done or it will total the engine? Does having a LSD mean anything different service wise?

There's a cambelt but on all NA cars and at least the early NB it's a non-interference engine, meaning if the belt snaps you just realign everything and put a new belt on. Being a longitudinal mount engine means you actually have room to work, too. It's still a lot of work but it beats a lot of work in 3" of room like you'd find in a Honda.

I don't think the later (01+) NB cars with VVT are interference engines but I could be wrong.

And yes, $9k is way too loving much for a NB. I paid not much more than that for my '99 with ~42k miles, in 2004. Miatas do have awesomely low depreciation compared to most cars, but not THAT low.

The LSD should just require some additive to the gear oil when you change it, but I didn't have one so I don't know for sure.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Nope. Timing belt is nice to do every 60-80k, but it's a non-interference engine so if it goes the worst is just realigning some gears.

Luffles posted:

I'm looking into buying a 2000ish MX-5 for $9,000ish with 60k~ miles. Is there anything I should look at in particular when going to buy this, or ask the dealer about? It's from a used dealership and I know basically next to nothing about cars and figured I would come for a little advice before I went exploring.

I've been slowly going through the thread and have been learning quite a bit.
Unless you're in Canada you'd be overpaying about $2500-$3000 for that car. Wait for a good private party deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
All BPs are non-interference (go me!!!! hahhahahahahaha), but the belt is 10+ years old by now so changing it is definitely a good idea.

But don't buy that car, it's too expensive.