Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

ScarletOHara posted:

Tales of Vesperia looked ok, the combat system sounds pretty goofy and uninvolved though, I hate having to button mash through an RPG.

Lost Odyssey looks amazing. It's weird though, I can't believe I have never heard of this game before. Looking at the amazon reviews a few people said if you liked FF10 you will like this game, so that sounds about right, I am going to try and pick a copy up for cheap. I have been missing turn based RPGS like crazy, thanks yall.

Tales is also a very good play, lots to do.

LO i found slow, And the lack of being able to grind a bit made it a little uninviting for me(I want to kill chickens for 10 minutes because i want 1 level up, let me do it!). The story is great, no doubts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

ScarletOHara posted:

Tales of Vesperia looked ok, the combat system sounds pretty goofy and uninvolved though, I hate having to button mash through an RPG.

Lost Odyssey looks amazing. It's weird though, I can't believe I have never heard of this game before. Looking at the amazon reviews a few people said if you liked FF10 you will like this game, so that sounds about right, I am going to try and pick a copy up for cheap. I have been missing turn based RPGS like crazy, thanks yall.

'A classic' is reaching when describing the Tales game, but it's a mindless, middle-of-the-road RPG. It's completely safe and made of rounded edges. Looking for RPGs on consoles isn't something you're going to find a treasure trove in.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Stelas posted:

combos.

Woah what the gently caress have all the tales games been like this? That looked like goddamn Marvel vs. Capcom, I might have to take another look at that series.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

Woah what the gently caress have all the tales games been like this? That looked like goddamn Marvel vs. Capcom, I might have to take another look at that series.

Prepare for dissapointment if that's the impression you got.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Tales does have pretty good and fun battle systems though, especially the CC-based ones (Destiny PS2 and Graces, which is coming out this March!).

The posted video is... well it's not wrong, you can do that stuff, but he edited out opening the menu every couple Artes to switch his Arte set and equipment. But don't expect every battle to go like that, a lot of the required skills for such combos are gotten fairly late.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

It was repetitive as poo poo and that is what kept me from enjoying it. Good ideas though, totally seconding this.
For me the only thing that made Avalon Code so stupidly repetitive was that horrible, unchangeable button assignment. What's that? Special Attack is the same button as Search? And ~50% of your EXP in the game comes from searching things?

Uuuuuuuuuugh.

You're right: fun and clever ideas, and it was bright and colorful and felt a lot like Threads of Fate, but the way those ideas were implemented was atrocious at best.

Ashekaban posted:

LO i found slow, And the lack of being able to grind a bit made it a little uninviting for me(I want to kill chickens for 10 minutes because i want 1 level up, let me do it!). The story is great, no doubts.
Well levels in Lost Odyssey were meant to come quickly. If you wanted grinding, you grinded skills on your Immortals. Those were more gamebreakey than levels anyway.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 25, 2012

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I noticed that Silva Saga II received an English translation patch. It's an SNES RPG, and does a few things I don't see too often in them. For example, there is a day/night cycle, with the town's citizens being in different places or doing different things.

You also have to juggle three different parties; one is your "main" party, with your character and his followers, the second one is made up of mercenaries you can hire at guilds (mainly meat shields so far), and the third are idols (normally found in dungeons) that are imbued with magical power and can cast spells. You can merge the idols together when they reach a certain level to make new, powerful idols. All three parties can be switched on-the-fly in combat depending on what kind of foes you are facing, and the ones active at the end get the experience points.

I also thought the game was pretty by SNES standards.

Daler Mehndi fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 25, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Daler Mehndi posted:

Those screenshots remind me of an NES game. They look almost straight out of Final Fantasy 1. Not that a Super Nintendo game should be judged on graphics but still

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Looking for RPGs on consoles isn't something you're going to find a treasure trove in.

I hope you just mean this generation!

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They look almost straight out of Final Fantasy 1.

Your memory is flawed then.

vvv You're welcome!

Daler Mehndi fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 25, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Those screenshots remind me of an NES game. They look almost straight out of Final Fantasy 1. Not that a Super Nintendo game should be judged on graphics but still

That's some pretty dumb hyperbole. Other people can see the screenshots you know.

I think I'll be giving that game a try, thanks for bringing it to our attention Daler Mehndi!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yes, other people can see the screens and he's right, it is stylistically similar to an NES game in the same way Final Fantasy IV was and in no way takes advantage of the power the SNES is capable of. To say it is pretty by SNES standards when stuff like Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger exists is much more of a stretch.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

casual poster posted:

I hope you just mean this generation!

:pcgaming1:

Tales is definitely not a fighting game, but it would be kinda stupid to call it uninvolved. If you're mashing buttons you're doing it wrong (Unless it's the beginning of the game and you only have one attack (and the CC based games like Graces fixed this one))

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Daler Mehndi posted:

I noticed that Silva Saga II received an English translation patch. It's an SNES RPG, and does a few things I don't see too often in them. For example, there is a day/night cycle, with the town's citizens being in different places or doing different things.

You also have to juggle three different parties; one is your "main" party, with your character and his followers, the second one is made up of mercenaries you can hire at guilds (mainly meat shields so far), and the third are idols (normally found in dungeons) that are imbued with magical power and can cast spells. You can merge the idols together when they reach a certain level to make new, powerful idols. All three parties can be switched on-the-fly in combat depending on what kind of foes you are facing, and the ones active at the end get the experience points.

Wow, this patch was released yesterday. Gonna check this out.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1698/

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It got asked if anybody played those poo poo games a while back to completion and I'll chime in and say I did play Hyperdimension Neptunia to completion. My verdict? Don't play it. Ever. Set your copy on fire, throw the ashes in the toilet, flush, and then move so you won't be in the same house you played it in.

It's just so loving awful. The combat is dull and repetative, the story is absolute poo poo and any chances it has to be funny it will do it right away and then repeat the same joke a billion loving times to make sure you got it (THIS PERSON IS THE WII, AND THE WII HAD THIS GAME/FEATURE IN REAL LIFE BUT NOW IN AN ANIME GIRL HAHA). There's no cut-scenes or anything beyond millions of talking portraits that will get old fast, the characters are loving terrible, and really the game simply exists as an example of putting poo poo effort into something and hoping to get good returns because there's a handful of people out there that won't know better (Me, but I'm not coming back for the sequel).

I don't know how much they spent on making the game but any amount was too much and should have been funneled towards companies that actually care about making a good game.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I have a question for you loveless nerds. Everytime I sit down to play a JRPG, after about five minutes, I'm falling asleep. I don't feel bored. I mean I'm having fun, and I want to continue playing but it gets hard to keep at it when you can't concentrate or focus.

This only happens with JRPGs it seems. Dark Souls (It's japanese, I know), Sacred 2, Avadon, all can be played fine. But as soon as I load my save for Tales of the Abyss or Persona 4, I want to take a nap. Have ADD shooters made me expect instant gratification?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

I have a question for you loveless nerds. Everytime I sit down to play a JRPG, after about five minutes, I'm falling asleep. I don't feel bored. I mean I'm having fun, and I want to continue playing but it gets hard to keep at it when you can't concentrate or focus.

This only happens with JRPGs it seems. Dark Souls (It's japanese, I know), Sacred 2, Avadon, all can be played fine. But as soon as I load my save for Tales of the Abyss or Persona 4, I want to take a nap. Have ADD shooters made me expect instant gratification?

Yes.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

Have ADD shooters made me expect instant gratification?

Probably not, if you're playing Avadon just fine. :v: It might just be that you're not a fan of the random battle systems JRPGs use, by the sound of it. If I'm sitting there grinding through a dungeon I'll usually have something playing on the laptop next to me, be it music or iplayer or a film or whatever.

Tales of Graces is going to own. (e: combo video, spoilers for playable characters)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 25, 2012

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Stelas posted:

Tales of Graces is going to own. (e: combo video, spoilers for playable characters)

My favorite is the guy who stuffed at least ten kanji into one attack.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Wii and Xenoblade threads seem just about dead, so I'll ask here; Has anyone tried Last Story? It going to be released in EU soon and I'm thinking of picking it up, but I'm afraid that it's going to be underwhelming, after having finished Xenoblade Chronicles. I've watched some gameplay videos but I'd rather hear someone else's opinion of it.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Miijhal posted:

Resonance of Fate is your game, then. And the story doesn't take itself very seriously (mild spoilers for chapter 5).

Ah, I've played that one too. And it's turn-based (kinda) so the battle system's not really what I'm looking for. Frustrating! But thank you for the great suggestions, I probably should have listed that one as one I've beaten already.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

(Me, but I'm not coming back for the sequel).
I've heard Hyperdimension Neptunia 2 is even worse on the fanservice/pandering front.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

I've heard Hyperdimension Neptunia 2 is even worse on the fanservice/pandering front.

I have heard it's much better on the gameplay front, though. Like, immensely so.

I dunno, I don't hate Neptunia's gameplay as is (aside from the SLOW AS FUCKBALLS pace, they need a fast forward for the fast forward), so I might check it out. Mainly because my own self-loathing compels me to do so.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ScarletOHara posted:

Is there any consent on what the best RPG (maybe even jrpg) on 360 is? I just got one and the last rpg I played that I liked enough to beat was FF10 like 8 years ago. I know the 360 isn't the greatest for games like that, but I am still looking for mostly an engaging story (I don't care how corny it is) and some decent game mechanics that can take up like 40 hours if I want it to.

Just jRPGs, or any type? Cause I feel like FONV is an easy winner if it's any RPG.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Zereth posted:

I'm not surprised, it's probably why it got a sequel to begin with.

They can tell me the battle system in the best thing we've seen in decades and I still wouldn't touch the sequel. I hate myself for playing that game.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is the battle system in Vagrant Story as mystifying as everyone says? I love PS1 RPGSs but I'm not very patient or intelligent.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Douche Bag posted:

Is the battle system in Vagrant Story as mystifying as everyone says? I love PS1 RPGSs but I'm not very patient or intelligent.

The battle system isn't hard, but the weapon system sort of is. I would suggest reading a weapon faq at gamefaqs, so you get an idea of how it works since it would be too much to write here. However I do have a friend that beat it with one weapon because he didn't know any better, so it can be done.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Douche Bag posted:

It's not so much the battle system in Vagrant Story as it is the way gear works.

It basically it has your equipment gain defense/attack towards certain types of enemies occasionally as you fight dudes. (i.e. fighting a zombie will gradually skew the undead affinity of your current weapon towards killing zombies better.)

If you fail to understand that these affinities are basically where all your damage comes from, you'll end up doing 1 damage a hit to certain enemies.

I believe the main things that determine a weapon's attack on a enemy are Damage Type(which is the thing that usually determines most of the damage), Creature Affinities, then something like Elemental Affinities.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Specifically, making it better at killing zombies will come at the price of it becoming worse at killing something else.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that using the correct type and attribute for a given enemy makes the single biggest difference. Most bosses are quite weak to say a blunt air weapon while taking single digit or less damage from most anything else. The next biggest thing is to never fight a boss without full PP on your weapon, as it is trivial to raise past the earliest parts of the game and is one of the largest damage boosts available.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It sounds like you have to constantly switch weapons in order to kill anything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yep. It's a heavily equipment-based game.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Learn the shortcut to bring up the equip menu. You'll be using it a lot. iirc it's a shoulder button that brings up the shortcut menu and a face button to bring up the equip menu.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Douche Bag posted:

That game is baffling as gently caress and not for you. I would however suggest playing the first hour or so of it just because I think it has hints of being the best PS1-era JRPG in there.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 1, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's probably a drawing issue where it just doesn't clear out. This happened in overhead tile-drawn NES games where your movement wasn't also tile-based (Crystalis comes to mind), except they were better about cleaning up their messes. Could be the game itself, and I don't even mean like "the game after the patch."

Personally, I've never been a fan of ZSNES but it's a necessary evil if you wanna play SNES games in Windows. Have you tested it in other emus?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 1, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Douche Bag posted:

It sounds like you have to constantly switch weapons in order to kill anything.

You only NEED three weapons, one of each damage type (Blunt/Piercing/Edged) all the other stuff like element and creature type affinities are just bonuses on top of that.

Also your buff/debuff spells are super useful and can turn any fight in your favour, even if you're using the wrong weapon that does ~1hp a hit normally.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I don't think you need to be terribly patient or intelligent to play Vagrant Story. I beat the game and I don't really remember the story of any Final Fantasy game since maybe FF6 or so. Then again maybe it's because those games had lovely stories.

Just carry around a number of weapons with you. I think I managed to hack my way though just by upgrading my weapon material type and keeping at least one of each damage type (blunt/slash/pierce). I didn't bother leveling affinities until after reading a guide, and that involved what can only be described as grinding. Even if one of your weapons doesn't work on a particular boss, one of your magic spells or Break Arts supplemented by restorative items should do the trick.

Also, some of the box pushing puzzles might suck so use a walkthrough for those if necessary, and maybe consult a wiki page to clarify points about the story, which in my opinion is fairly interesting. It's also got some seriously fantastic music.

edit: Fully upgrading your weapons makes it so you kill anything in 1-2 hits and makes the game terribly easy anyways. You don't feel much of a Riskbreaker as you do a Game-breaker.

Odin Sphere is a bit of a stretch when it comes to being classified as an RPG, but it does have a rich story and there are some basic RPG elements to it. I found out today that there is a PS2 Classics section on PSN, within which Odin Sphere is included. I bought it instantly after reading reports online that the slowdown that plagued the native PS2 version was drastically reduced. My experiences so far support that -- it's not completely gone but it only appears during the busiest of scenes like opening a menu during a debris-filled boss battle. I don't remember the original version moving so fluidly. It almost feels like a new game.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

softcorps posted:

Odin Sphere is a bit of a stretch when it comes to being classified as an RPG, but it does have a rich story and there are some basic RPG elements to it. I found out today that there is a PS2 Classics section on PSN, within which Odin Sphere is included. I bought it instantly after reading reports online that the slowdown that plagued the native PS2 version was drastically reduced. My experiences so far support that -- it's not completely gone but it only appears during the busiest of scenes like opening a menu during a debris-filled boss battle. I don't remember the original version moving so fluidly. It almost feels like a new game.

I loving wish they'd put the PS2 classics up on the UK store, this poo poo is annoying. (Unless they have recently, I haven't turned my PS3 on in a couple of weeks. :v: )