Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Starting to sound like a broken record here but I have a dwarf (not by choice) and let's see here's a list:

-Is insanely aggressive about food for absolutely no reason. Biting the hand that feeds her is one of her favourite things to do.
-Pisses on stuff. Pisses next to stuff. Pisses on you when she's angry with you. Pisses on you when she's happy with you.
-Refuses to ever piss in her litterbox but will always piss next to it wherever you put it.
-When not given 24/7 attention will sit and chew on her own poo poo (the regular ones not the cecals). Leaves behind a giant mess of powdery disintegrated poo poo nuggets.
-Is a dick to my own rabbit even though she likes him.
-Gnaws on everything. Gnaws through everything. Chooses to ignore toys and just go for anything in her reach including the carpet, sideboard, door, ANYTHING. If anything she wants to chew is out of her reach she will not rest until she has rampaged her way to get it.
-Does not rest at all actually. Does not sleep.
-Attacks any and all visitors to your place as if attempting to kill them. Have to either keep her locked up all the time or never have friends over again.
-Bites feet very hard and very often, whenever she wants attention or food, so pretty much all the time. Wearing shoes indoors is impossible because she will not only ruin them so badly they can never be worn again, she will also manage to reach your foot for biting anyway.
-Shows affection by jumping on you and digging into your flesh.

If you read this and are thinking oh ho ho I can handle that, you really don't know what it's like to have to deal with this poo poo all day every day. And while other breeds of rabbits may do some of these things, they don't do all of it at the same time.

Do not get a dwarf. Time owning a dwarf is time better spent having a rabbit that is actually capable of being toilet trained and knows how to entertain itself if you leave it alone for five minutes. If it is true that dwarfs tend to be more cuddly it's only because they demand constant attention. A bigger rabbit will show affection by not driving you insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

jesus christ that sounds like living with a tiny ball of hatred

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I've been looking into getting another rabbit to bond with my dwarf (who, apparently, is defective because he doesn't bite and only destroys cardboard boxes and only pees in his litterbox), and I know someone who is looking to rehome a one-year-old giant chinchilla. Is this a bad idea? Am I asking for trouble trying to keep a 10-pound and a 2.5-pound pair? Should I bother trying the rabbit+chinchilla thing at all? The chinchilla does need to be spayed (the dwarf is neutered), but I have the space to keep them separated for the foreseeable future.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I know I need to get Gordon spayed and if I got her a male companion, he would need to be neutered even if she's spayed. She's a 6 pound mutt.

Please give me reasons getting a giant breed as a companion is a bad idea. I can't stop thinking about how nice and hilarious my neighbor's giant is and I've thought of getting her a pal for a long time now anyway.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

quote:

I know I need to get Gordon spayed and if I got her a male companion, he would need to be neutered even if she's spayed. She's a 6 pound mutt.
Please give me reasons getting a giant breed as a companion is a bad idea. I can't stop thinking about how nice and hilarious my neighbor's giant is and I've thought of getting her a pal for a long time now anyway.

The male companion would still notice the smell of a female and constantly harass her trying to breed. you could get her a companion but I would defiantly make sure their both fixed.

Remora posted:

I've been looking into getting another rabbit to bond with my dwarf (who, apparently, is defective because he doesn't bite and only destroys cardboard boxes and only pees in his litterbox), and I know someone who is looking to rehome a one-year-old giant chinchilla. Is this a bad idea? Am I asking for trouble trying to keep a 10-pound and a 2.5-pound pair? Should I bother trying the rabbit+chinchilla thing at all? The chinchilla does need to be spayed (the dwarf is neutered), but I have the space to keep them separated for the foreseeable future.

They might be able to become friendly and possibly play together but I would defiantly house them apart.

my dwarf is defective as well, only time she get's angry is if you pick her up or don't put the food down quick enough so she'll either stomp around or grunt at you.
before I got her fixed she would also try to lunge attack with paws of furry but that's pretty much turned into just grunting.

my other dwarf mix is a big lovable softy and loves anything that has to do with him getting affection as my female dwarf doesn't groom him no matter how much he tries.

edit: although they do Love to rip up all the nice neat newspaper i lay down in one side of this large plastic pen bottom i use for their food/water/toilet area.

SpaceMonkey fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 29, 2012

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Foaming Chicken posted:

hatred, anger and possibly demonic possession.

Bitsy is. My Devil Baby. Before I knew that dwarves were so angry in general I thought that maybe she was just the naughtiest animal alive. Now I know that it's just part of who she is. Or something.

Half of the time I don't even think that she knows what she does is bad. But then she does something that I don't think can be anything other than malicious and know that she does know she's bad...

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Sputnik has more than doubled in size already. He's much bigger than both Lexi and Freya :stare:

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Foaming Chicken posted:

But every once in a while they come up and give you a conciliatory lick and it's all good. :3: According to them, at least.

Zen, my dwarf mix, is also evil incarnate. The bare patches in my carpet and the pile of books destroyed are a testament to that.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Noise Complaint posted:

Sputnik has more than doubled in size already. He's much bigger than both Lexi and Freya :stare:

OH MY GOD I LOVE HIM

I think that every time that you post a picture of him you should expect that response from me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

luscious posted:

hatred, anger and possibly demonic possession.

Bitsy is. My Devil Baby. Before I knew that dwarves were so angry in general I thought that maybe she was just the naughtiest animal alive. Now I know that it's just part of who she is. Or something.

Half of the time I don't even think that she knows what she does is bad. But then she does something that I don't think can be anything other than malicious and know that she does know she's bad...

My dwarfs are all pretty hateful except the fat mixed one. The two purebred ones really dont want anything to do with us unless they dont feel good. Then its all "Hey gimme attention." Although the white one will dig us constantly, I dont know why that is.

The fat one, on the other hand, doesnt mind sitting there getting scratched, will bother you to see what you are doing and will constantly wander around you wondering if you have some morsel for her fatness. Although she is a bitch sometimes. I once wasnt paying enough attention to her so she stomped a bunch of times, I look back and she looked at me, waited until she knew I was paying attnetion, bit my cell phone charger cord in half, stomped at me again and took off.

Stupid rabbits.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

I'm just...so not used to having such an animated pet. New bun got so excited that I was giving him hay he did a little jump-twist into a wall. Like a side body slam. That's normal, right? Or at least "normal?"

Edit: Will he get less excited about food when he reaches a healthier body habitus? I'm going to get a Costco membership because the volume of veggies I'm buying from Publix isn't cutting it.

Edit 2: Is it possible to overfeed greens? His fecal pellets aren't getting soft. Poor little guy acts like everything I give him is the last meal of his life.

Edit 3: Lewis was my stately little princess.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 31, 2012

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Foaming Chicken posted:

Edit: Will he get less excited about food when he reaches a healthier body habitus? I'm going to get a Costco membership because the volume of veggies I'm buying from Publix isn't cutting it.

Cilantro goes through 2 bunches of cilantro and 2 bunches of Italian parsley a week and random green leaf lettuce as we remember it. 2 small veggie plates a day, sometimes 3.

Also, Publix buddies for lyfe.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Foaming Chicken posted:

I'm just...so not used to having such an animated pet. New bun got so excited that I was giving him hay he did a little jump-twist into a wall. Like a side body slam. That's normal, right? Or at least "normal?"

Yes, binkies are normal. It means he's happy. :) And a little uncoordinated, since he binkied into the wall. But Frith does that all the time.

Frith also attacks every meal as if its his last on earth, and there's nothing I can do to change that. Sigh.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

sometimes Bitsy gets super excited and runs around at top speed and binkies and flips around. Then she just stops and stares at me all confused.

I have seen Paterson do like. one binkie. And it was straight up... just excited.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

My dwarfs are all pretty hateful except the fat mixed one.

I think "mix" is the key word here. And I'm not saying all the small ones are evil but there is just a bigger chance of them being like... THAT.

Foaming Chicken posted:

I've seen my normally relaxed Billy fly across the whole room in one leap for no reason. They just get so happy sometimes. I've also seen him run headfirst into the central heating unit with a loud BWANG. I've seen Tsjoeka run headfirst into a drum kit (that one was particularly hilarious). They always just shake it off and keep running and jumping into things. It's good for them. Hard heads!

quote:

Edit 2: Is it possible to overfeed greens? His fecal pellets aren't getting soft. Poor little guy acts like everything I give him is the last meal of his life.
If they like greens they like greens. For reference this is what mine get on a daily basis. Bowl's bigger than my head. They've never been healthier.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

DS at Night posted:

I think "mix" is the key word here. And I'm not saying all the small ones are evil but there is just a bigger chance of them being like... THAT.
I've seen my normally relaxed Billy fly across the whole room in one leap for no reason. They just get so happy sometimes. I've also seen him run headfirst into the central heating unit with a loud BWANG. I've seen Tsjoeka run headfirst into a drum kit (that one was particularly hilarious). They always just shake it off and keep running and jumping into things. It's good for them. Hard heads!
If they like greens they like greens. For reference this is what mine get on a daily basis. Bowl's bigger than my head. They've never been healthier.

:stare: Endive? You have some spoiled bunnies!

I just made an appointment at a new vet for Sputnik that's closer to us. They have a vet on staff that is very familiar to bunnies and is a bunny owner herself. Hopefully he checks out alright and maybe I'll cheat and have them do his first nail trimming so he doesn't associate me with it just yet. I'll also be able to get a date set for his neutering.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 31, 2012

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I'm not sure how many midwest US goons have a Menards nearby, but I picked up 40# bags of wood stove pellets for $3 each today. I initially went it to get a bag of zip ties to expand Debbie's pen but completely forgot to get any once I noticed the sale.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

After over 14 years Mr. Bun has died. Not sure of what since he died before we got to the emergency vet but at his age it could have been anything. He was the most well behaved dwarf who would do absolutely anything for a treat. I feel privileged to have had him as long as we did.

I don't think I ever got around to posting any pics. I'll get some of him and TJ from my sister.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
I'm sorry to hear that, I always enjoyed reading about another very senior bun. :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

CampingCarl posted:

After over 14 years Mr. Bun has died. Not sure of what since he died before we got to the emergency vet but at his age it could have been anything. He was the most well behaved dwarf who would do absolutely anything for a treat. I feel privileged to have had him as long as we did.

I don't think I ever got around to posting any pics. I'll get some of him and TJ from my sister.

I'm so sorry for your loss. He led a very good life and was well loved.

if you want to chat about him at all send me a PM. I'd love to listen.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

CampingCarl posted:

Sorry to hear about Mr. Bun. :smith:

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

CampingCarl posted:

I'm so sorry :(

Does his name have anything to do with this?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

CampingCarl posted:

I'm really sorry to hear that. What was your favorite memory of him?

I brought Sputnik to the vet today and he surprised the hell out of me. He wanted to meet every single person in the place. Not only that, but he claimed the examination room as his own. He was super friendly to the Vet and it turns out his man parts have descended and he can be neutered this coming week :)

Picture of examination room floppage:

Edit: Oh and he's already almost 7 lbs :stare:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Foaming Chicken posted:

I'm so sorry :(

Does his name have anything to do with this?

Yes it does. Technically my sister got to name him "Stargazer" when we got him, but we never called him that and always called him Mr. Bun or just Bun. We have lots of Calvin and Hobbes books, many with little teeth marks. Most from TJ and not Mr. Bun though.

Noise Complaint posted:

I'm really sorry to hear that. What was your favorite memory of him?

A few I guess. In general he was just so well behaved. He wouldn't go into rooms if you kicked him out before, he would just sit at the doorway looking in. He didn't chew on things except newspaper and books we gave him. He didn't mind new people or being picked up and would even sit on your shoulder.

He had a whole daily routine of eating breakfast with me, sitting under a table in the morning, sitting on the bed in the sun in the afternoon, run around in evening, wait to be put away at night. When he got old and couldn't make the jump to the bed anymore we made him steps and eventually a ramp so he could continue being a bunny sundial as the sun moved across the bed.

When he was young he would run laps around my room with no regard for cornering. You could tell where he was by the sound of what object he slammed into when he took a turn.

He jumped off our 2nd story deck because he was afraid of a deck check I was bringing up. He was only stunned and that chair was his favorite spot after that.

There is a loose patch of carpet between my room and the hallway. One day he starts digging at it, which is unusual because he normally sticks to newspaper and towels. I'm sitting a few feet away and yell at him. He pauses but keeps going. I get up and shoo him a couple hops away. As soon as I sit down he comes back and starts digging. I get up and shoo him again, he does one of those half binky things with the front half of his body out of the way. I stay there in case he starts digging again. He creeps up to the carpet, looks up at me, and slowly touches it with his paw like he is going to dig then binkies away down the entire hall before I even do anything. Little guy was messing with me.

Me and my sister made a house for him out of snow after a big blizzard. We had to get a broomstick to bring him in because he had decided to make some additions from the inside and we couldn't reach him anymore. Also his face is a snow plow apparently.

Nothing would ever stop him from getting a treat. After a while I never ever had to chase him down, just shake a bag and he would come running. Eventually he would be the one waiting every night for me to put him away and give him a treat. If something sounded like a bag/box of treats he was inspecting anyone who moved until he found something edible. He would eat craisens out of my sister's mouth until one time he missed and she stopped doing it. Even when his legs stopped working if you didn't get the treat fast enough he would drag himself through his food dishes and hay, over my leg, up the other leg, and stand up to reach as high as he could. He would get treats wrapped in newspaper for christmas.

He would always reciprocate petting. If you pet him enough he would lick your entire face. It is weird to get your eyelids licked.

He would follow me all the time, at least after he learned not to try to run between people's legs when they are walking and gave everyone right of way. If I wanted to let him play in one room I would have to leave another way or when he wasn't looking or he would just follow me back out.

The most influential memory is I still instinctively think that a moving shadow out of the corner of my eye or kicking a shoe in the dark is a rabbit. Add dark carpet and poor lighting to a 99% black rabbit who loves to hang around you and you get a bit paranoid.

Edit: Well that snowballed a bit. TL;DR Mr. Bun was awesome.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Thank you for sharing. I love hearing stories like that and I'm sure it feels good to tell them. Myself, my girlfriend, and our buns all toasted to Mr. Bun tonight. Us with drink and the buns with carrot :)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

CampingCarl posted:

There is a loose patch of carpet between my room and the hallway. One day he starts digging at it, which is unusual because he normally sticks to newspaper and towels. I'm sitting a few feet away and yell at him. He pauses but keeps going. I get up and shoo him a couple hops away. As soon as I sit down he comes back and starts digging. I get up and shoo him again, he does one of those half binky things with the front half of his body out of the way. I stay there in case he starts digging again. He creeps up to the carpet, looks up at me, and slowly touches it with his paw like he is going to dig then binkies away down the entire hall before I even do anything. Little guy was messing with me.

Haha oh man that sounds so familiar.

I'm very sorry about your loss.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

aw that made me cry. I'm so sorry for your loss and so happy that you were both able to enrich each other's lives.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Really good stories about Mr. Bun, sorry you lost him, it sounds like that bunny had one great life though. All pets should be so lucky.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

New bun was so excited to receive his salad yesterday that he *almost* jumped over the top of his pen. He hung on to the wire cube wall for a moment, looking a bit like

before letting go.

:stare:

CampingCarl posted:

Even when his legs stopped working if you didn't get the treat fast enough he would drag himself through his food dishes and hay, over my leg, up the other leg, and stand up to reach as high as he could.

This is the sweetest thing I've read in a while :unsmith: What a special little guy.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
nothing to see here.

voodoonoid fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 3, 2012

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!

CampingCarl posted:

I'm dealing with this same stuff from my bun Has. I truley think they are playing with us.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Rabbits are so weird. I was taking video of Freya hopping around and as soon as she saw me taping her, she left a non-cecal poop pellet on the ground, turned around and ate it while making that happy grunting noise they sometimes make then thumped and ran back towards her room.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Noise Complaint posted:

Rabbits are so weird. I was taking video of Freya hopping around and as soon as she saw me taping her, she left a non-cecal poop pellet on the ground, turned around and ate it while making that happy grunting noise they sometimes make then thumped and ran back towards her room.

Paterson HATES cameras too.

here's a video of him happily playing with some paper until he notices the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypGjg8f4YkU

what a strange little man.

edit:

video works. THANK YOU!

luscious fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 4, 2012

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I actually managed to get both of my rabbits looking at me to get a picture, before they scampered into the box to hide again after it clicked at them.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

here's a video of him happily playing with some paper until he notices the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypGjg8f4YkU

Fixed the link :)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

uh. Can you quote it so I can copy / paste it? I thought it was my comp being weird but it's just me being an idiot.

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.

pseudonordic posted:

Haha! "He knows..."

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

uh. Can you quote it so I can copy / paste it? I thought it was my comp being weird but it's just me being an idiot.

Note sure what you mean, but I'll try...

Here's what your post originally said

code:

[video type="youtube"]/ypGjg8f4YkU[/video]

The / before the Youtube video ID was causing an extra ? to be placed in the URL. When you clicked the malformed URL, Youtube would say it was an invalid ID. Compare and contrast:

Malformed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?ypGjg8f4YkU
Correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypGjg8f4YkU

code:
Malformed: [video type="youtube"]/ypGjg8f4YkU[/video]
Correct: [video type="youtube"]ypGjg8f4YkU[/video]

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Bun's problem with cameras is he sees hands at ground level and comes over to search for a treat so many pictures ended up like this:

Here is a better picture. I could hear him run across that chair mat every morning as soon as I opened my door down the hall. His nose was originally black but grew grey as he got older.

Bun in the sun. Even during record heatwaves he was up on the bed right in the sun. If my sister was home he would nap with her. I always felt bad going in his room in the afternoon because he would always get up to investigate me.

Bonus stories: During a big blizzard a few months ago we lost power and heat for about 6 days. I put him next to me and he just melted. For an hour he just licked my bed and made happy grinding teeth. Eventually he peed on my bed but it was worth it for how happy he was. At night we heated water in a camp stove and put it in one of those rubber water bottles wrapped in a towel for him to sit next to.

That entire room in the 2nd pic was his/storage. To keep him in but allow for people to get in I made a fence out of wire cube segments and paper clips. He could easily jump it as it was only 1 segment high but never did. One night I pass by and find the fence open, but Bun was still inside so I figure someone tripped on it. I close it and go make a late night snack. A little later a little guy comes up to me and starts begging. I carry him back to his room, reset the fence and sit to watch him. He picks up one end of the fence in his teeth, swings it open like a fence, and puts it down again. He hops out, pokes me, and runs back in his room. Never again did he get out of his room when he wasn't supposed to, even though he showed he could.

Bonus (big)pic: My sister's lionhead TJ, or as he is also known "Cranky Pants". This was his first time in any significant snow where he discovered such wonders as "snow is bathroom", "snow is edible", and "face is plow".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

CampingCarl posted:

Bonus (big)pic: My sister's lionhead TJ, or as he is also known "Cranky Pants". This was his first time in any significant snow where he discovered such wonders as "snow is bathroom", "snow is edible", and "face is plow".

That is super adorable. :3: