Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

My car is absolutely retarded in 1st and occasionally 2nd with the 3.73s.

I will agree with 3.55s first gear is stupid I almost never bother going wot until I'm in 2nd and even then it's risky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

kronix posted:

I will agree with 3.55s first gear is stupid I almost never bother going wot until I'm in 2nd and even then it's risky

Even with my automatic, 1st gear is retarded as hell and I wait til 2nd or 3rd to put my foot down. I have the 3.15's.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

kronix posted:

I'm hoping wider tires will help. The stock brembo rims can fit 275s, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

b0nes posted:

What is AI's opinion on "tuner" Mustangs like Roush, SMS, Saleen and Steeda?

Most of their packages are extensive bolt-on affairs with some body-kit dressup. Reliability shouldn't be affected. Handling might not be fully thought out in some of the kits. I wouldn't look past one if it were selling at a good price.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Most of their packages are extensive bolt-on affairs with some body-kit dressup. Reliability shouldn't be affected. Handling might not be fully thought out in some of the kits. I wouldn't look past one if it were selling at a good price.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they also come with the factory warranty though which definitely helps.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Aberroyc posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they also come with the factory warranty though which definitely helps.

I wouldn't buy one new. As phil always says, there's so much aftermarket out there, you can alway make exactly the Mustang you want, especially in the power department.

And used ones would probably be out of warranty.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Aberroyc posted:

Even with my automatic, 1st gear is retarded as hell and I wait til 2nd or 3rd to put my foot down. I have the 3.15's.

Maybe mine's broken in some way, mine doesn't want to spin the tires at all, and it doesn't even chirp the 1-2 shift. (Yes, with TCS off.) And that's with the 19" all-seasons. The launch and feeling of low end torque is way softer than my LT1/LS1 Camaro and GTO automatics were. Depending on traction, those cars would get wheelspin from a stop at half throttle.

It's got tons of power up top, as it will run 80 to 110 in a smidge over 5 seconds, which is about right based on videos I've seen online.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 30, 2012

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Number_6 posted:

Maybe mine's broken in some way, mine doesn't want to spin the tires at all, and it doesn't even chirp the 1-2 shift. (Yes, with TCS off.) And that's with the 19" all-seasons. The launch and feeling of low end torque is way softer than my LT1/LS1 Camaro and GTO automatics were. Depending on traction, those cars would get wheelspin from a stop at half throttle.

It's got tons of power up top, as it will run 80 to 110 in a smidge over 5 seconds, which is about right based on videos I've seen online.

Mine didn't either before the FRPP tune and it's the only reason the tune is worthwhile. It's clear that Ford limited torque down low, my guess is for drivability/durability reasons. They're not the only ones to do this, I've had extended wheel time in 2011 535xi recently and it's the same thing until you turn on it's sport mode. It would've been nice if Ford did something similar with the Mustang.

It doesn't really make the car any slower it just makes it harder to hoon and probably saves Ford quite a bit in warranty claims.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I have a nice :iiam: situation. As far as I know, all Bosses were sold with baffles restricting the exhaust flow to the side pipes, due to compliance with noise regulations or what have you. I put my car up on a lift to take those out yesterday, and they were completely missing. I doubt the dealer took them out (Someone actually mentioned "Oh yea you should take those baffles out man!" when I was walking out after buying the car), so it was just a head scratcher.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

b0nes posted:

I think out of the lot, Roush, makes the best. They modify the cars to have awesome handling and power to boot.

Saleen, I think used to make awesome all around packages, body kits almost bording on ricey-ness, IMO. but then some sort of drama happened and Steve Saleen left to form SMS. I dont know how the business is doing, but I dont really hear much or see much about them.

Steeda is another company that makes tons of aftermarket parts. When I got my car in 2001 everybody told you to buy Steeda parts, Steeda underdrive pullies, Steeda Sway Bar, Steeda light weight wheels, etc... Now I dont hear about them any where as near as much

All the above packages come with complete cars + warranties. or you can buy the complete parts list for converting your car. either way it costs $$$.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Fuuuuck... I can afford a Boss 302.... but that's a lot of car.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Fuuuuck... I can afford a Boss 302.... but that's a lot of car.

It's a lot of car that you want.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 4, 2012

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Not enough empty quotes for this!

I do have a question about mine though.. I'm looking at getting some OEM style headlights to refit HID projectors in to, since I don't want to dremel the poo poo out of the originals (Apparently 2010+ headlights used some monster epoxy that has a melting point higher than that of the plastic housing of the lights themselves, leaving dremel work the only way to get them open). Only problem is that there are two different part numbers for OEM lights, one for V6es and one for the GT. I would guess that the difference might have to do with the stock fogs on a GT/wiring harness type stuff, but I'll be damned if I can find any decent info either way on what the actual difference between the lights is, and which one the Boss uses.

If I can't find anything after superbowl party weekend I guess I'll get up the :effort: to take the bumper/etc off and get the stock lights out to see what P/N they are firsthand, but, again, :effort:

igv9
Sep 3, 2006
Everything witty I could put here has already been said.

Gwaihir posted:

Not enough empty quotes for this!

I do have a question about mine though.. I'm looking at getting some OEM style headlights to refit HID projectors in to, since I don't want to dremel the poo poo out of the originals (Apparently 2010+ headlights used some monster epoxy that has a melting point higher than that of the plastic housing of the lights themselves, leaving dremel work the only way to get them open). Only problem is that there are two different part numbers for OEM lights, one for V6es and one for the GT. I would guess that the difference might have to do with the stock fogs on a GT/wiring harness type stuff, but I'll be damned if I can find any decent info either way on what the actual difference between the lights is, and which one the Boss uses.

If I can't find anything after superbowl party weekend I guess I'll get up the :effort: to take the bumper/etc off and get the stock lights out to see what P/N they are firsthand, but, again, :effort:

If you take a look at pictures of the 2010+ headlight clusters you will notice that one model has the turn signal on the outside, and the other has the turn signal on the inside. This is if you are looking at the car head on. I'm not sure what differentiates what vehicles these go on, I thought it was HID versus not HID as the projector + bulb was deeper and so had to be placed differently. I could be talking about something completely different though because I didn't think the V6 versus GT mattered with this.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

igv9 posted:

If you take a look at pictures of the 2010+ headlight clusters you will notice that one model has the turn signal on the outside, and the other has the turn signal on the inside. This is if you are looking at the car head on. I'm not sure what differentiates what vehicles these go on, I thought it was HID versus not HID as the projector + bulb was deeper and so had to be placed differently. I could be talking about something completely different though because I didn't think the V6 versus GT mattered with this.

Yea, that's the OEM HID option vs stock Halogens. The halogen lights all have the turn signals on the inside, towards the center of the car, and the HIDs are opposite.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I saw an orange Boss headed to the dealer. It was totally :smug: surrounded by GTs and V6s on the car carrier.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
And it begins! Just picked these up today. American Racing LT Headers for the GT500.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

b0nes posted:

Roush makes a decent setup, just keep in mind that you're paying ~$10k for $3k worth of body kit and suspension components on the Stage 1 and 2. The stage 3 is ~$20k for a $5k supercharger and $3k brake package.
Steeda makes fantastic stuff if you like turning corners, just realize that you're paying a ~$10k premium to have their people install it as opposed to your local mechanic doing it.
SMS and Saleen have no purpose unless you like the look of their body kit as their suspension stuff is designed by an art department and they offer no performance parts worth mentioning. If having a "real" Saleen/SMS doesn't matter to you, save yourself ~$20k and have a local shop install their parts on your GT.

Basically, unless they offer exactly what you would want done to your car and you value having a "real" tuner car, you're better off buying a stock GT and modifying it to suit your tastes. This isn't 1987 anymore; you can buy badass stuff from the aftermarket.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

This isn't 1987 anymore; you can buy badass stuff from the aftermarket.

Hell, you can buy badass stuff direct from Ford these days.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Dear everyone that told me to get a GT rather than a V6,

Thank you.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
I was getting ancy to turn some wrenches and decided I should start getting the Mustang ready for the headers. First step, repair the rear tire which had picked up a screw right before I put the car away for the winter.

The car is tucked away in the former lunch room at the office.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just gonna leave this here so the two Shelbys can have a sleepover:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I've settled on a 2013 grabber blue GT. They announced the new Boss 302 is gonna be another $2000 more than the 2012, plus it will be marked up, plus California taxes mean I'll be priced outta that. The money I save will probably go towards track tires and shiny things that make the car create really loud fart noises and such.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I've settled on a 2013 grabber blue GT. They announced the new Boss 302 is gonna be another $2000 more than the 2012, plus it will be marked up, plus California taxes mean I'll be priced outta that. The money I save will probably go towards track tires and shiny things that make the car create really loud fart noises and such.

You're better off anyway. The extra money you save can be spent making the GT a lot better and you can get the electronics package which I've heard good things about and regretted not getting. It wasn't available on the BOSS last year.

It doesn't take a whole lot to turn the GT into a very fast car.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Buy through costcoauto and knock $3k off the price of either of them.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kronix posted:

You're better off anyway. The extra money you save can be spent making the GT a lot better and you can get the electronics package which I've heard good things about and regretted not getting. It wasn't available on the BOSS last year.

It doesn't take a whole lot to turn the GT into a very fast car.

Doesn't the 2013 GT TrakPak use the same stuff as the normal 2012 Boss suspension?

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Just gonna leave this here so the two Shelbys can have a sleepover:

Nice, looking good man!!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

coolskillrex remix posted:

Can costco's deal work for really exclusive car like the Boss?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I've heard that USAA's car buying program is $500 over invoice. Just another reason to love having USAA.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

I've heard that USAA's car buying program is $500 over invoice. Just another reason to love having USAA.

AFAIK costcos is just invoice

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

AFAIK costcos is just invoice

Shipped to your local dealer? That's the way USAA does it according to their website.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

Shipped to your local dealer? That's the way USAA does it according to their website.

Not sure what you mean by that, do you mean destination fee?

The way costco works is they just work with fleet dealers to get you invoice no haggling what so ever then you pick it up from whatever dealer is close and has inventory. If theres no nearby cars in your configuration then i think its ordered from the factory. My cousin ordered 2011 GT through them and it was straight from factory but he pre-ordered...

https://www.costcoauto.com

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Nah, you tell them what you want and they look for it across the country and have it shipped to whatever dealer you specify. If what you want isn't available you just spec it out on Ford's site and give USAA that info and they order it through your dealer for you. I think invoice + $500 is their guaranteed rate, but they'll try for better.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

frozenphil posted:

Nah, you tell them what you want and they look for it across the country and have it shipped to whatever dealer you specify. If what you want isn't available you just spec it out on Ford's site and give USAA that info and they order it through your dealer for you. I think invoice + $500 is their guaranteed rate, but they'll try for better.

Is that only guaranteed for larger volume manufacturers? If I could somehow get anywhere near invoice on a certain Porsche I could stop trolling Autotrader all day.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Is that only guaranteed for larger volume manufacturers? If I could somehow get anywhere near invoice on a certain Porsche I could stop trolling Autotrader all day.

Never hurts to ask them.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
So how many of you are excited to bring your Stangs out for spring!? We only got another month or so.

I am already planning on this years mods! The day the Stang comes out of storage, Im gonna freshen her up.

This years project I hope will be...
1) Get rid of the Mach 460 stuff and put in some aftermarket parts.
2) weld up the exhaust so its all 1 pipe, not held together with clamps
3) reinstall my shoddy installed subframe connectors.
4) have a MM steering shaft installed to replace the worn rag joint.
5) if budget allows a new torque arm
6) Im scared but I want to attempt an autocross. (the car has never raced!)

kalvick fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 11, 2012

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

2) weld up the exhaust so its all 1 pipe, not held together with clamps

You will regret this if you ever need to drop your transmission or replace a muffler. Clamps are perfectly acceptable as long as they aren't leaking.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

frozenphil posted:

You will regret this if you ever need to drop your transmission or replace a muffler. Clamps are perfectly acceptable as long as they aren't leaking.

I meant the cat back. I have the magnaflows and they clamp together right after you go over the axle. They are leaking exhaust there, and melted some of the plastic shroud next to the gas tank.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 12, 2012

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

kalvick posted:

So how many of you are excited to bring your Stangs out for spring!? We only got another month or so.
Waddya mean? I drive mine all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Presto posted:

Waddya mean? I drive mine all year.

Yep, me too. It's surprisingly good in the winter, all things considered.