Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Would up closing on a 2012 MS3 in black mica based in part on the feedback in this thread. Enjoying it very much so far, though as fate would have it I was caught out in a snowstorm before I could install winter tires (which will be in later this week). Thanks again everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Same -- just bought a 2012 White MS3 this week as well. Love it.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Ok guys. We need to stop telling everyone how great these cars are. I saw an identical Velocity Red 'Speed3 in my neighborhood a few weeks ago. Not cool man. I like driving a unique car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SynMoo posted:

Ok guys. We need to stop telling everyone how great these cars are. I saw an identical Velocity Red 'Speed3 in my neighborhood a few weeks ago. Not cool man. I like driving a unique car.

At the parking lot at work every day, there's one other red MS3 and one blue MS3. Once in a while there's a black one that shows up too for a nice round four, and this parking lot isn't really all that big. Between this and the regular Mazda3s that show up, I think the Mazda3 ends up being the most common car in the parking lot :v:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I see so few Gunmental hatches that whenever I do see one I see them more as a member of an exclusive club. There's room enough for all fellow Mazda enthusiasts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was one other MS6 in town but the owner traded it in towards a MS3 and I haven't seen another one in town since.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I see another Mazdaspeed3 nearly every time I go out driving now that I moved to the Boston area.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

I see another Mazdaspeed3 nearly every time I go out driving now that I moved to the Boston area.

I've only seen a handful back here in Fort Wayne. Oddly I've seen two Mazdaspeed Miatas in the last month. You shouldn't have left, we were gonna start a club!

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

The week after I bought mine, I drove into the parking garage at work, parked next to a black 2nd gen MS3, had a 1st gen black MS3 park across from me while I was getting out, then as I walked out of the parking garage telling the 1st gen owner what a weird coincidence that was, we saw a red 2nd gen MS3 drive by, and another black 2nd gen MS3 drive to a different parking lot. And here I thought I got something nobody else had :(

SiB
May 6, 2005
It's Mazdas birthday today. 92 years old.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

MS3 owners are scrubs. The true exclusivity lies with the MS6. Remember, not all mazdaspeeds were created equal. Some had AWD :feelsgood:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

naw dog, its all about those of us with non-turbo mzr's, we're the coolest...

:smith:

Also should note that Mazda seems to be moving a ton of Skyactiv's, theres already 2 hatches and a 4 door in my work parking lot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

MS3 owners are scrubs. The true exclusivity lies with the MS6. Remember, not all mazdaspeeds were created equal. Some had AWD :feelsgood:

Some had baby's first tooth intercooler and a lower redline than the base car, doesn't make them better :smugdog:

Cygni posted:

Also should note that Mazda seems to be moving a ton of Skyactiv's, theres already 2 hatches and a 4 door in my work parking lot.

Out of all of the Mazda3s I mentioned, all are first-gen cars. There is a second-gen over at our other office but he inexplicably went for the 2.5L instead of Skyactiv. There's also a CX7 and a lone Mazda6.

I still really, really want a Skyactiv or turbo or otherwise >100hp Mazda2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:hfive:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I still really, really want a Skyactiv or turbo or otherwise >100hp Mazda2.

Isn't there an AWD MS3 concept out there? That, with a turbo Skyactive would be perfect.

SiB
May 6, 2005
A turbo on a 3000psi fuel preessured, already-forged-internalled, 14:1 compression motor? Also the new VVT setup and a turbo would be awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Isn't there an AWD MS3 concept out there? That, with a turbo Skyactive would be perfect.

A couple people have done it aftermarket, it's certainly doable since there were AWD Volvos on the platform.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

A couple people have done it aftermarket, it's certainly doable since there were AWD Volvos on the platform.

Has Mazda made any statements on why they don't put AWD into cars anymore? After having it I don't know if I can ever go back.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
I moved a month ago and haven't driven my grey, first gen Speed3 or any other car since.

To rub it in, a guy (or gal?) sometimes parks thon black, first gen Speed3 on my block :negative:

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

I'm looking to get a Mazda 3 to replace my GTP and I had a couple questions about them. I read that the motor mounts are a common issue. What other issues do they usually have? I'm looking at the Gen 1 for what it's worth.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mobius1B7R posted:

I'm looking to get a Mazda 3 to replace my GTP and I had a couple questions about them. I read that the motor mounts are a common issue. What other issues do they usually have? I'm looking at the Gen 1 for what it's worth.

Everyone says that the first mod you should do is an aftermarket rear motor mount. The PO of my car claims that he put in a Corksport insert. I haven't noticed any issues related to this. I have had two issues:
1) The CEL came on, and my gas cap was replaced under a TSB/warranty.
2) The passenger side door speaker blew out and was replaced under my bumper to bumper warranty.

Edit: I have an 09 GT.

Double edit: I'm coming up on 25k miles. Is there any major maintenance or service I should perform? I believe the transaxle oil change isn't recommended until ~50k and the coolant is allegedly longer than that.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 31, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Has Mazda made any statements on why they don't put AWD into cars anymore? After having it I don't know if I can ever go back.

I'm 99% certain the CX7 and CX9 come with optional AWD, and I'm fairly certain it will be available on the CX5. Probably just a lack of demand, I think Subaru, Audi, and Volvo suck up most of the market for AWD vehicles that aren't SUVs.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I'd have paid a few grand more for an AWD MS3.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm 99% certain the CX7 and CX9 come with optional AWD, and I'm fairly certain it will be available on the CX5. Probably just a lack of demand, I think Subaru, Audi, and Volvo suck up most of the market for AWD vehicles that aren't SUVs.

I hope this is a changing trend. Ford is offering an AWD Fusion and I've heard rumblings about an AWD Camry as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's going to be very hard to reconcile AWD with the upcoming fuel economy requirements, though, aside from maybe through-the-road hybrids (gasser drives front wheels, electric motors drive rears).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SynMoo posted:

If the MS3 had AWD, I would have paid the scratch and gotten it over the 2.5 3.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's going to be very hard to reconcile AWD with the upcoming fuel economy requirements, though, aside from maybe through-the-road hybrids (gasser drives front wheels, electric motors drive rears).

I've never really considered that before. What's the downside here?

SiB
May 6, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

(I am in Canada if that matter, but i'm guessing the US Mazdas are the same)

In 2007 the CX-7 was introduced with AWD, and 2011 was the first year you could get a FWD. So all 2007-2010 will have the same MZR Turbo AWD setup. The FWD only comes with the 2.5L non-turbo.

I have never seen a CX-9 FWD... only AWD. Not sure if they are available??

CX-5 Will be AWD or FWD, Skyactiv 2.0L with Auto or Manual 6 speeds. 2013 the Diesel will be available, 200hp and 300ft/lbs.

And the Canadian CX-5's are on their way...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG9s0NwzPKk

Oh and I have not heard anything about Speed6's or AWD MS3's

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SynMoo posted:

I've never really considered that before. What's the downside here?

AWD weighs a bunch and the layout is less efficient than front wheel drive (although some AWD systems can physically disengage the system on the fly and run pure FWD), which doesn't help the fuel economy. Generally the penalty is something like 5%.

I think Mazda will be ok considering the number of Skyactiv G/D cars they plan on selling.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

SynMoo posted:

If $2,000 more was in my budget I would have just bought a WRX instead.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

AWD is offered in Japan in a 2.0L model.

The last time Mazda tried to sell a compact car in North America with AWD was 1991, perhaps not coincidentally the last time Toyota sold an AWD Camry here.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
You nerds who want AWD, get a Subaru. I want a RWD MZR DISI TURBO.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Pssh...

Once you drive a Mazdaspeed6, no frumpy Subaru will suffice.

It can't be more difficult to transplant the cool engine into a Miata or RX8 than to stick some AWD under a Mazdaspeed3. Go do it and inspire us all.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

MetaJew posted:

You nerds who want AWD, get a Subaru. I want a RWD MZR DISI TURBO.

Yeah, if they put this engine into the Miata it'd be amazing.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Someone in this thread claimed that the head on the MZR was too wide to fit in the Miata engine bay. So that's a no go unless you make a tube frame Miata.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 4, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

Someone in this thread claimed that the head on the MZR was too wide to fit in the Miata engine bay. So that's a no go unless you make a tube frame Miata.

Well I guess we'll have to cram it into an RX8 then.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
A reliable, moderately powerful sports car with an engine that won't flood itself or get hilariously bad fuel mileage? Tell me more!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

A reliable, moderately powerful sports car with an engine that won't flood itself or get hilariously bad fuel mileage? Tell me more!

Define "hilariously bad."

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I would, but RADL might break down my door.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

I would, but RADL might break down my door.

I wouldn't worry, it's not like their cars run reliably, they can't beat you up if they can't make the drive to your home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I wouldn't worry, it's not like their cars run reliably, they can't beat you up if they can't make the drive to your home.
Most of them have bus passes.

Isn't the RX8 engine bay even shorter and narrower than the Miata one?