Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
As an update to my previous post, it turned out to be a new Liberty Tax franchise, and the owner is paying for the books this year.

There are only so many spots, so I hope I'm selected, but I'm confident I will be. The owner graduated the same college and degree program as I'm in, and I'm definitely showing desire for the position.

I contacted my school and was told it counts as an internship, so I get three credits out of it, so I'm psyched about that. However, I don't have a specific desire to get into tax accounting, though I'm not against the idea. For a summer internship (or job) should I use this experience to find a position in tax planning, or go a different route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Moneyball posted:

As an update to my previous post, it turned out to be a new Liberty Tax franchise, and the owner is paying for the books this year.

There are only so many spots, so I hope I'm selected, but I'm confident I will be. The owner graduated the same college and degree program as I'm in, and I'm definitely showing desire for the position.

I contacted my school and was told it counts as an internship, so I get three credits out of it, so I'm psyched about that. However, I don't have a specific desire to get into tax accounting, though I'm not against the idea. For a summer internship (or job) should I use this experience to find a position in tax planning, or go a different route?

It depends what you want to do. Experience is experience, and firms understand that internships are both a way of evaluating you as a candidate for full time employment as well as a time for you to evaluate them and figure out what you want to do in the field. Using this experience to get an internship won't limit you to tax internships for the summer, and given that an internship is very important for your career aspirations I would say you should pursue what you want but be flexible if you only get offers for tax-related internships.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Moneyball posted:

Having experience filling out tax returns will not hurt you in any situation. In the very least, it will show a future employer that you're able to show up to work and not get fired.

In fact, you can then spin it as "I've done tax work and found it wasn't really my thing. I'd much rather do [whatever]" and the interview will most like respond with "Oh yes, I couldn't stand tax."

Harry fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 4, 2012

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

Moneyball posted:

Just keep in mind that filling tax forms is to tax analysis work, as bookkeeping is to auditing.

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."
I'm currently studying for the CPA and will be finished within a few months. I've been working in the GL department of my company for about a year. My direct boss isn't a CPA though and wouldn't be able to sign off on the paperwork to become a CPA, but my boss's boss is a CPA. Could he sign off in my boss's place?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone here a member of IMA, or do you hold a CMA designation? I don't know anything about them, so if anyone could share some experience with the organization, the benefits, events, networking etc. I'd appreciate it.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Chow-King posted:

I'm currently studying for the CPA and will be finished within a few months. I've been working in the GL department of my company for about a year. My direct boss isn't a CPA though and wouldn't be able to sign off on the paperwork to become a CPA, but my boss's boss is a CPA. Could he sign off in my boss's place?

To be sure, contact the agency in your state that governs your licensing process. Generally speaking your boss's boss would have to have direct knowledge of your work in order to be able to vouche for you.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Chow-King posted:

Nope

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Nope

Care to expand on that?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Accountants help me figure out where in accounting I need to be in.

I graduated a few years ago with a bachelors in finance and worked a few jobs in retail and food service. While looking for something better I did a tax season at H&R Block(I know, I know) and had a complete blast. I did 12 hour days, felt great. I could turn people from pissed off about owning money into smiling as they left owing even more money. It was the only job I ever had were I was never unhappy or stressed out. I decided that taxes were my thing and worked for a small CPA firm and started accumulating all the credits I need to be able to sit for the exam here in Texas. 80% of our business was personal tax but I did all my work in an office and never once saw a client. Now I work in oil & gas accounting doing reporting to banks and tons of other catch all work.

What I do now is ok I guess but nothing has even been close to the fun I had doing tax work face to face with clients years ago. Frankly I would take a 20% pay cut to go back to doing taxes one on one with people across a desk. I've always been more of a people person/salesman than a numbers person despite being good with numbers(if that makes sense).

Are there opportunities for people who are skilled at accounting but don't want to be an accountant? Do I need to try auditing or some kind of consulting?

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

Accountants help me figure out where in accounting I need to be in.

I graduated a few years ago with a bachelors in finance and worked a few jobs in retail and food service. While looking for something better I did a tax season at H&R Block(I know, I know) and had a complete blast. I did 12 hour days, felt great. I could turn people from pissed off about owning money into smiling as they left owing even more money. It was the only job I ever had were I was never unhappy or stressed out. I decided that taxes were my thing and worked for a small CPA firm and started accumulating all the credits I need to be able to sit for the exam here in Texas. 80% of our business was personal tax but I did all my work in an office and never once saw a client. Now I work in oil & gas accounting doing reporting to banks and tons of other catch all work.

What I do now is ok I guess but nothing has even been close to the fun I had doing tax work face to face with clients years ago. Frankly I would take a 20% pay cut to go back to doing taxes one on one with people across a desk. I've always been more of a people person/salesman than a numbers person despite being good with numbers(if that makes sense).

Are there opportunities for people who are skilled at accounting but don't want to be an accountant? Do I need to try auditing or some kind of consulting?

You probably don't have the experience or background to go right into consulting, but you may want to give auditing a shot. Without having 150 credits or being on the CPA track, you probably won't get any interest from a Big 4 but you could look into a regional or local firm doing smaller audits. Since it sounds like you want to interact with clients, you'll have that opportunity in audit although it won't be quite like doing personal taxes, since your client is usually a business and you interact with client contacts who usually view you as a necessary evil rather than someone who is trying to help them save money on their taxes.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Chow-King posted:

Care to expand on that?

The person who signs off on your hours needs to know what you did, if your bosses boss doesn't know you or what you did and gets questioned by your state's board it could be bad news bears for both of you. Also the hours have to relate directly to auditing/attestation unless your state says otherwise.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Captain Beans posted:

Why not take/pass the CPA and then go back to personal/smallbiz tax? If you have the credits, it'll be a year of hell for a potentially life-changing payoff.

catman
Jul 23, 2006

Chow-King posted:

You should just call your state board - they are probably not busy now.

In Indiana, you are not required to work for a CPA - any CPA who has knowledge of your experience can verify. If your boss' boss knows who you are, they should know what you do. But it's a matter of facts and circumstances.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004
Usually I try to answer questions in this thread, but tonight I have a question of my own. I work for a Big 4 in audit, and someone I went to college with who worked at my firm but left for another Big 4 because they couldn't accommodate her transfer gave my name to her recruiter. I got a call from that recruiter yesterday asking if I'd be interested in a management consulting job in NYC (I'm in Boston). How would those of you who work at a Big 4 feel about this? In general, I think I need to stick out the rest of busy season here so as to not screw anyone over. At the same time, audit this time of year sucks and I was planning on applying for a job within my Firm for a different group (either M&A or forensic accounting) at the end of busy season. Would you guys recommend I hold out and apply within my Firm, or give this offered interview a shot?

Three of Clubs
Dec 7, 2004
really truly?

hellboundburrito posted:

Usually I try to answer questions in this thread, but tonight I have a question of my own. I work for a Big 4 in audit, and someone I went to college with who worked at my firm but left for another Big 4 because they couldn't accommodate her transfer gave my name to her recruiter. I got a call from that recruiter yesterday asking if I'd be interested in a management consulting job in NYC (I'm in Boston). How would those of you who work at a Big 4 feel about this? In general, I think I need to stick out the rest of busy season here so as to not screw anyone over. At the same time, audit this time of year sucks and I was planning on applying for a job within my Firm for a different group (either M&A or forensic accounting) at the end of busy season. Would you guys recommend I hold out and apply within my Firm, or give this offered interview a shot?

Im not big 4, but there is no reason not to go to the interview. it will be a lot easier to make a decision when you know exactly what the role is, how much they are offering etc. I personally also would never decline a job just because you dont want to inconvenience your coworkers. Its your career, not theirs.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

hellboundburrito posted:

Go on the interview. See what they say. At the same time make your inquiries inside your current firm using the proper channels.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

seymore posted:

Go on the interview. See what they say. At the same time make your inquiries inside your current firm using the proper channels.

This. But make sure not to tell anyone in your firm that another firm has contacted you. If you like what the other firm has to say then transition your audit work to someone else and jump ship. It's your career after all.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Question for California CPAs:

Are you notified once your transcripts have been approved? Does it show up on their website, or do you get an email? I'm trying to take the CPA exam in the window between graduating and starting work, and want to make sure that I don't waste any time applying. Thanks!

edit: I guess the more relevant question is: Can I submit my application before they have received my transcripts, or do I have to wait to apply until they've approved my transcripts?

moon demon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 26, 2012

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Question for California CPAs:

Are you notified once your transcripts have been approved? Does it show up on their website, or do you get an email? I'm trying to take the CPA exam in the window between graduating and starting work, and want to make sure that I don't waste any time applying. Thanks!

edit: I guess the more relevant question is: Can I submit my application before they have received my transcripts, or do I have to wait to apply until they've approved my transcripts?

You can submit the application first. I did it at the same time as I paid for my transcripts to be sent, and received my NTS about three weeks later.

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...
Edit: Got it from a friend! Don't need this anymore.

flyingfoggy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 2, 2012

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

flyingfoggy posted:

Random request for any other students out there: I already own the 13th edition of Kieso intermediate accounting and my class now requires the 14th edition. If anyone can scan and send legible copies of just the exercises (not brief exercises or problems... just the exercises such as E16-1) from chapters 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 23 of the 14th edition I will paypal you $25. This is maybe 40 pages and should only take about an hour. Send me a PM if you can do it or have any questions!

Have you checked wileyplus? I did all my homework online but I think the exercises are just lifted from the book.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I was going to try and help out but apparently my purchased WileyPlus version doesn't include the exercises. Only the MC and TF.

Even the online only thing is a raw deal, $98 for an online access code.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Captain Beans posted:

I was going to try and help out but apparently my purchased WileyPlus version doesn't include the exercises. Only the MC and TF.

Even the online only thing is a raw deal, $98 for an online access code.

For my community college classes, the online text was sufficient for literally three intermediate accounting courses, so it is potentially a steal. I didn't realize this until I had the dead-tree book, of course, but literally all of the text was on WileyPlus. Not bad.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I'm about a decade out of college and looking into accounting as a new career. I have a bachelors degree, and I assume I can take the necessary classes a la carte at a local college, but I'm having trouble finding good information about the best places to look into for post-bachelors study. Obviously a lot of places are geared towards majoring in it towards a bachelors degree, and there are masters programs, which of course come with a masters price tag and no clear reason for me to get one at this point. There are also certificate programs that don't seem to quite get you all the way to CPA testing.

I would be studying in or around Orange County, CA where there are a lot of community colleges and small universities. I just don't know where to start looking or what to expect to pay. I also intend to do this as quickly as possible, so I need a place that's able to let me take a full load of all these courses.

As for the internship/supervised work period, how does that look for a guy in his 30s not enrolled in an accounting major and with no prior experience? How does someone like me begin to find these positions?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Are you looking towards actual CPA work? Like auditing or tax? Or are you looking for industry work?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I'm not sure. I'm really just getting my feet wet here, but looking to start studying this fall, or maybe even summer.

I'm hoping to eventually secure a position in Japan with a view towards permanent residence, but that is getting a little far ahead. Although if anyone happens to know anything about that scene I'd love to hear it.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to do tax, but I might find out differently once I actually start studying the stuff.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Lemmi Caution posted:

I would be studying in or around Orange County, CA where there are a lot of community colleges and small universities. I just don't know where to start looking or what to expect to pay. I also intend to do this as quickly as possible, so I need a place that's able to let me take a full load of all these courses.

I finished up my 24 units of accounting (had 6 from undergrad) in the last year here in Orange County. Used a combination of Irvine Valley, Coastline, and Santa Monica community college courses. They were easy. But I was just planning to take the CPA exam for fun/personal enrichment so I have no real job advice for you :(

Just search the college websites. You're kind of hosed on spring semester because the demand for accounting seats exceeds the supply, so sign up early and often..

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Mandalay posted:

But I was just planning to take the CPA exam for fun/personal enrichment so I have no real job advice for you

Is this some kind of weird troll?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry kids, no family trip Disney this year, but don't worry! We're going to do something even more fun - the CPA exam!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Mandalay posted:

You're kind of hosed on spring semester because the demand for accounting seats exceeds the supply, so sign up early and often..

I am a little concerned that I am about to jump into a saturating field. I switched my goal from law school, which would have graduated me just when things were getting really bad in that industry, into something possibly even worse and ill-timed, public school teaching. I am pretty well determined not not to spend another minute of my life on anything that doesn't get me on the road to career and retirement. I'm wondering if there is a sudden glut of people having the same idea as me.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Lemmi Caution posted:

I am a little concerned that I am about to jump into a saturating field. I switched my goal from law school, which would have graduated me just when things were getting really bad in that industry, into something possibly even worse and ill-timed, public school teaching. I am pretty well determined not not to spend another minute of my life on anything that doesn't get me on the road to career and retirement. I'm wondering if there is a sudden glut of people having the same idea as me.

Accounting has a high turnover rate, most people leave the industry after a year. If you want to make big money in accounting, you need a CPA to advance. If not, then your best bet is getting into a cushy government job (they pay pretty well but nobody ever leaves them). Around a quarter of the people that actually take the CPA exam pass all four parts. So there's always demand assuming you're something more than your average bookkeeper.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Around a quarter of the people that actually take the CPA exam pass all four parts. So there's always demand assuming you're something more than your average bookkeeper.

Well, I'm just arrogant enough to assume this is good news for me.

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo

Lemmi Caution posted:

Accounting is probably one of your best bets for getting a job. Everyone needs an accountant and there is usually always turnover. You can't even compare the lovely law school job prospects to accounting.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

gmilo posted:

Accounting is probably one of your best bets for getting a job. Everyone needs an accountant and there is usually always turnover. You can't even compare the lovely law school job prospects to accounting.

As much as I wish I could confirm this, I can't really say I've had such luck. All local and national positions I've applied for tended to require 2-3 years experience (Not preferred, required. They won't accept anyone roughly under the age of 25) for entry-level positions. And when I say entry level, I mean junior accountants/assistant accountants or positions in Acc R/P, payroll, so forth. And no, a Bachelor in business with an accountancy major doesn't count. I asked.

Then again, it's New Zealand. I'm thinking I should just go to Australia or something, but the number of figurative corporations spreading their legs open for me is far far less than I was told in my early years.

It could also have something to do with my papers. I've got 600-level (Second year) Management accounting and Accounting informations systems (i.e. 'Let's all pretend we're not goldbricking as the lecturer drones on about MYOB) under my belt but no 700-level equivalants. International accounting (Consolidation between parent and subsidiaries), Auditing and Conceptual issues (Thank you kindly, Sarbanes-Oxley act!) were all taken because I had hoped to grab a few language papers as electives and grab a BA on my way out. None of these seem very practical, looking back. I thought I could use NZ's status as a trading nation to piggyback a Chinese or American company and leave this smoldering cesspit with international-themed academica. But no such luck if I'm going for a domestic market.

Really, what I'm trying to say is that the whole thing about a saturating market is that by the time you've actually got your creds, it could be over or so bursting with white-collar hopefuls that your only option is to scream at yourself and catch the nearest flight. PLAN. CAREFULLY.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Well specifically I'm going for CPA, not just taking some accounting classes. So I'm looking at the prospects for that qualification specifically.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

As much as I wish I could confirm this, I can't really say I've had such luck. All local and national positions I've applied for tended to require 2-3 years experience (Not preferred, required. They won't accept anyone roughly under the age of 25) for entry-level positions. And when I say entry level, I mean junior accountants/assistant accountants or positions in Acc R/P, payroll, so forth. And no, a Bachelor in business with an accountancy major doesn't count. I asked.

Then again, it's New Zealand. I'm thinking I should just go to Australia or something, but the number of figurative corporations spreading their legs open for me is far far less than I was told in my early years.

It could also have something to do with my papers. I've got 600-level (Second year) Management accounting and Accounting informations systems (i.e. 'Let's all pretend we're not goldbricking as the lecturer drones on about MYOB) under my belt but no 700-level equivalants. International accounting (Consolidation between parent and subsidiaries), Auditing and Conceptual issues (Thank you kindly, Sarbanes-Oxley act!) were all taken because I had hoped to grab a few language papers as electives and grab a BA on my way out. None of these seem very practical, looking back. I thought I could use NZ's status as a trading nation to piggyback a Chinese or American company and leave this smoldering cesspit with international-themed academica. But no such luck if I'm going for a domestic market.

Really, what I'm trying to say is that the whole thing about a saturating market is that by the time you've actually got your creds, it could be over or so bursting with white-collar hopefuls that your only option is to scream at yourself and catch the nearest flight. PLAN. CAREFULLY.

I do think this is because you're in New Zealand. I don't know anyone who graduated with a degree in accounting here and didn't get a job out of school. The job market is pretty good for accountants here as long as you put the effort into looking for a job.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I don't suppose anyone has a spare plane ticket, then?

Or, more appropriately, any particular overseas recruitment agencies that could pull in excess trained staff from across the waves? Seriously, given the differences in gap, there must be a couple, right?

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 9, 2012

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

WarpedNaba posted:

I don't suppose anyone has a spare plane ticket, then?

Or, more appropriately, any particular overseas recruitment agencies that could pull in excess trained staff from across the waves? Seriously, given the differences in gap, there must be a couple, right?

I know's there's a special Australia-US visa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-3_visa if you happen to have Aussie citizenship..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo

Lemmi Caution posted:

Well specifically I'm going for CPA, not just taking some accounting classes. So I'm looking at the prospects for that qualification specifically.

Having your CPA opens a lot of doors. Hell a lot of people I work with don't have their CPA and still land in good positions with public accounting experience.

If you can obtain your CPA and have any sort of people skills whatsoever you should be able to find jobs relatively easily. I started in public accounting coming out of college and picked my CPA up along the way. Now I'm qualified for all sorts of jobs and have recruiters and headhunters contact me periodically with job offers.

edit - WarpedNaba I'm in the US so I really can't comment on the job prospects/market over in NZ.