Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Not only did Bruce not really bring anything to the table, he is really really bad at speaking so listening to him was a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Remember when he cost ECW their PPV deal for about a year? Good times.
Story?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

LividLiquid posted:

Story?

The Torch sent a copy of the Mass Transit incident to InDemand. Here is the link to the rumor anyway from an ECW book. http://books.google.com/books?id=-c...ved=0CD4Q6AEwBA

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Capsaicin posted:

The best was when Dave told a guy complaining about the UFC coverage, "AS LONG AS YOU DON'T BREED THOUGH, IT'S COOL"

Just in case anyone missed it. (The guy Dave's responding to has a gimmick of having his posts in all-caps)

Dave 'Big Dave' Meltzer' posted:

SEPTEMBER 5 ISSUE

14 PAGES PRO WRESTLING 78%
4 PAGES MMA 22%

YOU GET A CHANCE TO READ IT EVERY WEEK AND YOU CAN'T EVEN COMPREHEND SOMETHING AS BASIC AS THIS.

AS LONG AS YOU DON'T BREED WE'RE COOL, THO.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Dave usually comes off as a robot filled with pro wrestling knowledge, but whenever he comes out and cracks jokes or buries a guy, it's completely amazing.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Bryan and Vinnie had part 12 today of how loving horrible is shoptna.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8AhSTYHARk

They played this video over the entire thing. It's loving hilarious.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Akileese posted:

Bryan and Vinnie had part 12 today of how loving horrible is shoptna.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8AhSTYHARk

They played this video over the entire thing. It's loving hilarious.
Don West is a trooper and deserves better.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Perigryn posted:

Don West is a trooper and deserves better.

Don West was one of the best managers in wrestling for the brief time they used him as such. It's a real shame.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

jeffersonlives posted:

Don West was one of the best managers in wrestling for the brief time they used him as such. It's a real shame.

Was he good enough to counteract being the worst announcer of all time?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

CombineThresher posted:

gently caress that. Michael Cole is SO much worse than Don West - it's not even funny.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

CombineThresher posted:

West was only the worst announcer of all time until the rise of heel Michael Cole, much like Gaddafi was the worst terrorist of all time in a pre-9/11 world. The good stuff he did afterwards, plus the fact that we since learned it could in fact get a hell of a lot worse, have more than redeemed him in my eyes.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Borh posted:

West was only the worst announcer of all time until the rise of heel Michael Cole, much like Gaddafi was the worst terrorist of all time in a pre-9/11 world. The good stuff he did afterwards, plus the fact that we since learned it could in fact get a hell of a lot worse, have more than redeemed him in my eyes.

That's a good analogy, but I've heard Cole do really well when he doesn't have Vince or Kevin Dunn screaming in his ear, whereas all I have for Don West is his endless goddamn shouting about whatever the gently caress. He and Tenay were awful and incapable of shutting up.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I think West and Tenay could have been a much better announce pair if they didn't have the poo poo to work with that Samoa Joe getting kidnapped by ninjas and Rellik.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Borh posted:

At first I thought you were still talking about Gaddafi at the end there.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

That's a good analogy, but I've heard Cole do really well when he doesn't have Vince or Kevin Dunn screaming in his ear, whereas all I have for Don West is his endless goddamn shouting about whatever the gently caress. He and Tenay were awful and incapable of shutting up.
Tenay's bad for the same reason Cole is bad, being overly scripted and put into roles he doesn't belong in. He was fine back in WCW when he was in the right role and wasn't given lines written by someone else.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Cole has never been a good announcer and he's been at it for, what, fourteen or fifteen years now? There's room for him as a personality but it's really amazing that Vince still thinks the guy is the future when he's both bad and beyond stale.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

jeffersonlives posted:

Cole has never been a good announcer and he's been at it for, what, fourteen or fifteen years now? There's room for him as a personality but it's really amazing that Vince still thinks the guy is the future when he's both bad and beyond stale.

Vince is a delusional maniac hth

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Karmine posted:

Vince is a delusional maniac hth

The announcing is probably the one thing that will improve substantially when Vince steps away or kicks it, because there's ample evidence that the announcing problems that manifest in Cole are entirely Vince and Kevin Dunn while Triple H's model announcer is JR with less heavy producing.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

jeffersonlives posted:

I think the really tragic thing about this is that, while I wouldn't say Cole is a very good announcer under any circumstances, he's still the best active one they have right now, at least when it comes to being a competent broadcaster. Unfortunately, what this means is that he can talk circles around anyone he's sharing the announce table with, and because he's using his powers for evil, that allows him to hurt the product to a degree that he wouldn't be able to if he was just plain incompetent like almost everybody else.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

jeffersonlives posted:

The announcing is probably the one thing that will improve substantially when Vince steps away or kicks it, because there's ample evidence that the announcing problems that manifest in Cole are entirely Vince and Kevin Dunn while Triple H's model announcer is JR with less heavy producing.

This is assuming that HHH will veer from his current path of shoehorning his over-the-hill friends into the product when he takes over the company.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

This is assuming that HHH will veer from his current path of shoehorning his over-the-hill friends into the product when he takes over the company.

HHH will do whatever gets him over the most. That includes picking the best announcer to get people over, which is JR

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

Triple H's over the hill friends would probably be pretty good announcers.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jeffersonlives posted:

Something wrong with Regal as an announcer? :colbert:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LordPants posted:

Something wrong with Regal as an announcer? :colbert:
Shawn's announcing in TWA treads the line between disinterested and so bad it's good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjNIpPOqwP0

I finished the awards podcast and am intrigued by Bruce Mitchell's joking idea to have Daniel Bryan retain the title using a banana peel.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

Except for Nash.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Shawn's announcing in TWA treads the line between disinterested and so bad it's good.

I finished the awards podcast and am intrigued by Bruce Mitchell's joking idea to have Daniel Bryan retain the title using a banana peel.

Does Shawn Michaels still have a hunting show? That show was so bad it was good.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Except for Nash.

Sir, you know not of what you speak.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WWE already has an announcer who trashes the product and puts himself over.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

At least Nash doesn't have the most grating voice ever conceived by man.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Isn't "slipping on a banana peel" a wrestling spot?

Also, no love for Chet Lemon and Black Snow?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

LordPants posted:

Scott Steiner: Ring Announcer was the only real highlight of that episode. Chet Lemon and Black Snow only get residual love.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

That was the worst loving poo poo I have ever heard. Two idiots trying to be more annoying than West and Tenay is not clever parody it is a wall of loving noise. Scott Steiner was pretty funny. That episode was awful.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In my defence I was watching Impact, so I obviously had no clue.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

My least favorite part is people acting like "Chet Lemon" is some clever name Nash came up with.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I love how dave said undertaker would be coming back. I could actually see it happening.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

http://www.sixdrinksin.com/2012/01/30/six-drinks-in-does-wrestling-for-1-27-11/

Audio still needs a little work.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Finally got around to joining Figure 4, and it as definitely been worth it just for getting to listen to the two most recent shows while at work. Plus the Photoshop thread of Lance Storm was worth getting on the Board as well.

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread that have repeatedly encouraged anyone to get a subscription.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, I've loved my subscription. Gives me countless hours of stuff to listen to in my downtime and it's nice not having to go to copypaste dirt sheet sites for news that may or may not be accurate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, subbing was a good choice for me too, tons of content to slate my wrasslin hunger and mild interest in UFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACS
Apr 30, 2009

Havoc904 posted:

Finally got around to joining Figure 4, and it as definitely been worth it just for getting to listen to the two most recent shows while at work. Plus the Photoshop thread of Lance Storm was worth getting on the Board as well.

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread that have repeatedly encouraged anyone to get a subscription.

You need to read the Dave Meltzer's Leather Jacket thread if you like the Lance Storm thread.

• Locked thread