Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Here's another really bad poster to sneer at. It evokes nothing about the movie, the color scheme is inappropriately soothing, the tape recorder looks like an amplifier, it tells you nothing at all about the film, and the title is barely present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh man, I miss being near a good poster shop. There was a an amazing place in Toronto I would go to all the time. They had tons of rare stuff, good prices on it too.

As a future denizen of Toronto would you so kindly tell me the name of this place?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

korusan posted:

As a future denizen of Toronto would you so kindly tell me the name of this place?

As a current denizen I'm even more interested, though I think I might know the place.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

penismightier posted:

Here's another really bad poster to sneer at. It evokes nothing about the movie, the color scheme is inappropriately soothing, the tape recorder looks like an amplifier, it tells you nothing at all about the film, and the title is barely present.

I did get what they were trying to do instantly, but I agree that this doesn't sell the film very well. If it was a picture of the Necronomicon in the same style, I'd probably like it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I did get what they were trying to do instantly, but I agree that this doesn't sell the film very well. If it was a picture of the Necronomicon in the same style, I'd probably like it.

The color is what does it for me. It should have been black with a red or white tape recorder. That alone would have made it much more passable. And the recorder is too thick too.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

For a movie that's chock-full of iconic and striking imagery, they picked just about the most boring thing possible to use for visual synecdoche. "Well we got this movie with a book bound in human skin, huge grasping claws exploding out of chests, a creepy cabin, and possessed trees. Let's make our poster that tape recorder they have. Throw some skulls on it, and make it a nice baby blue. The title's not important."

They're putting themselves up against one of the best posters in genre:

and if that's the best they could come up with - why even loving bother?

TheJoker138 posted:

And the recorder is too thick too.

And the reels are too small and it's at a weird angle which emphasizes the irrelevant topside and handle, instead of the front. You notice the handle before the skulls.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 30, 2012

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It's especially bad when you compare it to the original theatrical poster:

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Rough Lobster posted:

Jack Black is one of those guys who can either be surprisingly great or just intolerable depending on the material. Loved him in some things, hated his guts in others. Maybe I'm bipolar for him or something.

Jack Black was great in Mr Show and Tenacious D, so he's got a free pass for life from me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

korusan posted:

I'll have to do a little internet sleuthing, as I haven't lived in Toronto for a decade now and the name eludes me.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it was The Movie Poster Warehouse They're quite a large place and have a huge selection. There's also The Hollywood Canteen. Much smaller and higher prices, but probably rarer stuff overall and a heavy focus on older, vintage stuff.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 30, 2012

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The case art for the Dennis the Menace movie never fails to infuriate me. Walter Matthau's face couldn't look more fake / pasted on if it was drawn by an 8-year old. There is also something to be said about "cute kids" on posters / cases, and how more often than not they come across as completely unbearable.

Habermann fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 30, 2012

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Poor Walter looks like he's in the beginning throes of a major stroke on that DVD cover.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Nothing much to say except, holy poo poo is that a bad poster.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Robert Denby posted:

Jesus Christ. Replace Jonah Hill's face with this and there'd be almost no difference.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Jonah Hill looks like he lost a ton of weight.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
21Jump Street was an action thing?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

To be honest, a lovely movie poster kind of suits that movie. It's sending up those kind of action movies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Two cops walking through an explosion. How does that in ANY way shape or form tell me that they go undercover as high school students to find the supplier of a new drug?

Also, the explosion + sparks reminds me too much of the Live Free Or Die Hard DVD art:

It may have been done on another poster, too. I can't quite remember right now. But it's sure as hell not original.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 31, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Two cops walking through an explosion. How does that in ANY way shape or form tell me that they go undercover as high school students to find the supplier of a new drug?
Is that what the tv show with Johnny Depp was about? :confused:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jojoinnit posted:

Is that what the tv show with Johnny Depp was about? :confused:

That's what this movie is about, from what I've gathered from the trailers I've seen.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Robert Denby posted:

There are two faces in this poster.

Neither of them are appropriate.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

It may have been done on another poster, too. I can't quite remember right now. But it's sure as hell not original.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Robert Denby posted:

Hey Mark Mothersbaugh did the music for that one, and I have the poster to thank for informing me of this!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Max22 posted:

Appropriate, since the 21 Jump Street movie is said to have a Hot Fuzz vibe to it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Max22 posted:

Hahaha, precisely. Thank you!

The MSJ posted:

Appropriate, since the 21 Jump Street movie is said to have a Hot Fuzz vibe to it.

I don't know for sure, but I have a hunch that 21 Jump Street won't be quite as entertaining as Hot Fuzz...

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
This thread got me hunting around the Internet indulging in some window-shopping for posters (which seems like a bit of a bootleg quagmire even if you'd be satisfied with *licensed* reprints (if I want unlicensed I'll just rasterbate a .jpeg myself)- anyone know a good source?) and I came across one for The Thin Red Line:

That is a striking drat design that is not like any other war movie poster I've seen, and probably unlike an other movie poster in general that I've seen. It's kind of a variation on the single big eye cliché, I suppose, and takes what makes that such an effective image the first hundred times one sees it and makes it interesting again with the unique composition. The tagline ties in perfectly with the imagery... and hell, even with the huge named cast list, which has a perfect backdrop thanks to the helmet taking up a good chunk of the foreground. This is a poster that makes me want to move the film to the top of my Netflix queue, as I have never seen it. The visual alone whets my desire to see what the movie itself has to offer visually, as it looks like it could be a still right out of it.

Are there any direct antecedents? The only thing I can think of is that one bit from Metropolis, and that's hardly accurate:

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 31, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I don't know for sure, but I have a hunch that 21 Jump Street won't be quite as entertaining as Hot Fuzz...

Early reviews are saying it's amazing. Considering it's from the guys who did Clone High, I can't wait.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Early reviews are saying it's amazing. Considering it's from the guys who did Clone High, I can't wait.

Yeah, this was pretty much the only thing I could hear that would make me excited for the movie, and it worked.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Whoa, Im in. Never read that...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

If Jump Street turns out to be good Jonah Hill will be on an amazing roll. Pretty good from the guy who used to just be "shorter, fatter Seth Rogan".

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

What is that you saaaaaaaay?!

Guess I'll have to see it now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jojoinnit posted:

If Jump Street turns out to be good Jonah Hill will be on an amazing roll.

If a movie starring Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum turns out to be good, it will be a bloody miracle. There are some actors whose presence makes it likely that a movie sucks. While neither Hill nor Tatum are on the level of a Rogen or an Arterton, either of whose presence basically ensures the movie is awful (honourable exception: Donnie Darko), both of them being in the same movie shrinks the odds.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Robert Denby posted:

Is there a 'flying sparks' plugin for Photoshop or something? Because it keeps popping up - didn't the Red Tails poster use it as well?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

If Jump Street turns out to be good Jonah Hill will be on an amazing roll. Pretty good from the guy who used to just be "shorter, fatter Seth Rogan".

A roll of what? 2 good movies with the piece of poo poo The Sitter in between?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Jedit posted:

While neither Hill nor Tatum are on the level of a Rogen or an Arterton, either of whose presence basically ensures the movie is awful (honourable exception: Donnie Darko)

Somebody hasn't seen Pineapple Express :colbert:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Max22 posted:

Somebody hasn't seen Pineapple Express :colbert:

or 50/50 or Observe And Report or Kung Fu Panda or The 40 Year Old Virgin or

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Where's the Seth Rogan hate coming from? Seriously, did he kill somebody's dog or something? He's naturally funny and brings a lot of charm to his roles even when that role is being the kind of person you'd hate.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Where's the Seth Rogan hate coming from? Seriously, did he kill somebody's dog or something? He's naturally funny and brings a lot of charm to his roles even when that role is being the kind of person you'd hate.

I think with Hill and Rogan it's just backlash from over-exposure combined with people holding them personally responsible for the quality every movie they've ever acted in.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I was suprised to see this on the side of a bus earlier.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Slasherfan posted:

I likes this when it was called Misfits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

This would be 10x more impressive if the cloud was pulling a middle finger towards the main character, not away from.