Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

veonenergee posted:

New Mondo poster for Drive is pretty much yum:

Now this is loving sexy. Why couldn't this have been the DVD artwork? :doh:

If Drive ever gets inducted into the Criterion Collection, the final art for that will probably be out of this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

Okay, so I thought the first trailer looked great and I didn't have the problem with the whole "dude goes evil" thing that Rageaholic Monkey had. I also don't really have a problem with that tagline. But, man, that poster looks utterly stupid. The kid is . . . what exactly? Flipping the sky the bird? Man, that's really hardcore and poo poo! What a badass! Secondly, that is about the lamest "intense face" I've ever seen. Thirdly, that cloud doesn't even make sense with his hand! The cloud's thumb is on the wrong side, isn't it? Whose hand is the cloud mimicking if it's not mimicking his? How hard would that have been to get right? I loved that first trailer, but this one stupid-rear end poster has just squandered every bit of good will I had from the trailer.

He's not flipping off the sky, he's flipping us off with the sky. It would be a neat idea except for the backward hand. Too bad more effort wasn't put into it.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I have a suspicion the hand is backwards because someone was worried you can't give people the finger on a commercial poster for public spaces, kind of like the things that happen with guns and the pot leaves on the Harold and Kumar 3D poster.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

I probably wouldn't mind this so much if it wasn't ripping off the Piranha poster.

Also I know it's lame to nit pick a poster but there is no way the two girls wouldn't be able to see the sharks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Is it just me, or is the dropped bikini top from the two posters the exact same one, only switched around?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Vagabundo posted:

Is it just me, or is the dropped bikini top from the two posters the exact same one, only switched around?

No, I'm seeing it too.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Both of the visible hands and the lower torso of the one on the right look suspicious as well.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

That's the first thing I noticed, too, but Vagabundo is also right about the hands...

And while I'm at it, this one came up in the last thread:

This one I already linked in the OP, but it fit's this post so well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

westborn posted:

And while I'm at it, this one came up in the last thread:

What's amazing is that everyone (except Chazz Palminteri) in the rip-off poster is arguably a cheaper, less-talented alternative to the ones they match up to in The Invention of Lying poster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slasherfan posted:

Also I know it's lame to nit pick a poster but there is no way the two girls wouldn't be able to see the sharks.

Even lamer to nitpick a nitpick, but there's only one shark. As you might have guessed from the title, it has two heads.

Anyway, this is an Asylum movie, which means two things:

1) It's plagiarised.
2) It's poo poo.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

veonenergee posted:

Holy poo poo.

Does it make me an awful person for wanting to get this tattooed on me? I really wouldn't but drat these other posters for this movie are so great I want them all over my room and for everyone to see.

Not a poster but check out this neat thing to own.

Criminal Minded posted:

Personally, I want this:

Physical fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 1, 2012

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Slasherfan posted:

I like that its starring Brooke Hogan and Carmen Electra who have both become such total non-celebrities that the generic Asylum horror cover with random asses was preferable to trying to cram their faces on there.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

westborn posted:

That's the first thing I noticed, too, but Vagabundo is also right about the hands...

Wow, that's pretty cheeky!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Slasherfan posted:

Who ever designed that could use a hand or two!

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Slasherfan posted:

Too bad they got... bust-ed? I got nothin'

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Physical posted:

Holy poo poo.

Does it make me an awful person for wanting to get this tattooed on me? I really wouldn't but drat these other posters for this movie are so great I want them all over my room and for everyone to see.

If you like it, Mondo is selling some of them tomorrow at some point. They will post the sale link on Twitter when it goes online at a random time, usually anywhere from 10am-1pm EST. Their posters always go really fast, so my recommendation is sign up for an account on their site and get to F5ing.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I want to see someone make a movie poster entirely using clip art now. Actually, that could be a Photoshop thread...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

veonenergee posted:

The hot pink colour works well in the film because the garish font and colour contrast the rich blues and yellows of the opening scenes. It tips the hand of the films off centre style and calls back to its European sensibilities.

It does not work when its splashed all over the place like a defining element or when its placed against such a mundane look second colour as golden/beige.

Also the font used on this poster looks like it belongs to some other movie, maybe the movie the trailer advertised, but certainly not the one everyone fell in love with.

Also, the freeway never features in the film so its inclusion in the trailer is baffling. Why isn't he on a film set? Why aren't the elements of the poster separated by something that actually features in the film? Maybe the scorpion, the Los Angeles skyline, something.

And... finally, I just don't think that style fits the film at all. The two tone look, the abundance of lines used to make Gosling look almost vectorised from a still.

It's a gorgeous looking poster, but its not a good poster for the film Drive.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

What's amazing is that everyone (except Chazz Palminteri) in the rip-off poster is arguably a cheaper, less-talented alternative to the ones they match up to in The Invention of Lying poster.

Arguably? ;)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

Arguably? ;)

There's no doubt that Chazz Palminteri is cheaper than Rob Lowe, but I'd say he's more talented, if typecast. Similarly with Louis CK, who is undoubtedly more talented than David Spade, but I'm not sure if he would have cost more when those movies were made.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

There's no doubt that Chazz Palminteri is cheaper than Rob Lowe

You know, I was kind of just being facetious (and mainly thinking about the talent side of the equation and not the pricing side), but you just pointing out the above kind of pisses me off. Because you're totally right and what kind of world is it where Chazz Palminteri is cheaper than Rob Lowe? A stupid, stupid world. Palminteri has put in some great performances; he was fantastic way back in A Bronx Tale, for instance. Rob Lowe, on the other hand, can, uh, do vapid well, but then he's purty, so bring out the big bucks! Palminteri needs better movies is the main thing, I suppose.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I doubt this would beat Clifford in the amazing movie poster department, but it comes close.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I doubt this would beat Clifford in the amazing movie poster department, but it comes close.

Everyone seems either disappointed or amused at the guy in the coffin not being dead. "Oh, that guy. This is the 5th time he did this!"

Maybe the guy in the foreground is a ghost who haunts the funeral parlour and is sick of this poo poo. "This is the 5th time this happens. gently caress it. Hey everyone, my head comes off, because I'm actually a ghost. Boo!"

At least, that is the movie I'm hoping for based on this poster.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The man in the foreground appears to be crushing his own skull.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Discount Viscount posted:

I want to see someone make a movie poster entirely using clip art now. Actually, that could be a Photoshop thread...

Not a movie, but the UK cover of Charlie Stross's Halting State does something similar. I'd link it, but I don't have time to put it on imgur and I'm not sure if a direct link would contravene the image leeching rules. A quick Google Images search will find it easily enough, though.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Jedit posted:

Not a movie, but the UK cover of Charlie Stross's Halting State does something similar. I'd link it, but I don't have time to put it on imgur and I'm not sure if a direct link would contravene the image leeching rules. A quick Google Images search will find it easily enough, though.

Is one of you mixing pixel art with clip art?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Slasherfan posted:

Ignoring the ripping off this poster does, why did the girl on the right just take her top off? I mean, far be it for me to complain about that sort of thing in any normal circumstance, but it's like she said, "Ah, two headed shark! I'll distract it with my tits!"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

thrawn527 posted:

Ignoring the ripping off this poster does, why did the girl on the right just take her top off? I mean, far be it for me to complain about that sort of thing in any normal circumstance, but it's like she said, "Ah, two headed shark! I'll distract it with my tits!"

Clearly she was about to engage in hot lesbian sex with the other girl on the poster. I better get a ticket to see this movie in order to find out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rob Lowe rocks and I'd see ten movies with him before I'd see anything with Chazz Palminteri.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

cloudchamber posted:

You are calling this one out as good, right?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Women are quite literally objects!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

westborn posted:

I'm also convinced the legs and butt of the girl in the red bikini will match up with the one on the Pirahna 3D poster.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"I want to take his face... off. Eyes, nose, skin, teeth. It's coming off."

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

Please remember to add at least a few words if you're posting it as good or bad.
This seems pretty mediocre. Nothing special but no photoshop disaster and probably pretty telling about the movie.
And it's kind of a fliped version of the 'between the legs' motive, deliberately or not.

Vagabundo posted:

I'm also convinced the legs and butt of the girl in the red bikini will match up with the one on the Pirahna 3D poster.
It doesn't.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

It's probably the same pair of custom "hot girl legs and butt", I'm pretty sure they only slapped a different bikini.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

It's probably the same pair of custom "hot girl legs and butt", I'm pretty sure they only slapped a different bikini.

That's what I figured it was - slap on a different bikini and play with the shadows a bit, copy & paste bits and pieces from the other poster and call it a day. If they're happy putting the same bikini top and recycling the hands from the other poster, why stop there?

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Much like a blowfish inflates itself to scare away predators, the cover to "Legend of the Sea" does a wonderful job scaring off adults and children alike (Though studies have shown that the sight of Rob Schneider's name is actually a stronger deterrent than a set of sharpened spines).

I personally love the lossy compression on the main character of the film, compared to the crisp secondary characters he shares the box with. The only other thing as pixelated as him seems to be the background.

EDIT: Posting that reminded me of another lovely animated movie with animals on the cover. I'm pretty sure it was intended as some sort of religious propaganda film aimed at children, but the problem with the poster is that holy poo poo what is wrong with their faces sweet mother of god

The important thing to remember in this sort of situation is that the animals are more afraid of you than you are of thJESUS CHRIST WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THEIR FACES

Habermann fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 2, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Habermann posted:

Much like a blowfish inflates itself to scare away predators, the cover to "Legend of the Sea" does a wonderful job scaring off adults and children alike (Though studies have shown that the sight of Rob Schneider's name is actually a stronger deterrent than a set of sharpened spines).

I personally love the lossy compression on the main character of the film, compared to the crisp secondary characters he shares the box with. The only other thing as pixelated as him seems to be the background.
Haha the scariest part is definitely the ROB SCHNEIDER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's weird seeing posters/cover art for animated movies without "from the creators of ..." plastered over it.
How hard can it really be to find an executive producer or screen writer who's associated with something that did well?