Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

projecthalaxy posted:

Speaking of "cheater" cars I was doing some time trials on my cars at Fujumi Kaido and decided to look at the leader boards after posting a time. The best 1000 R3 times were all a Mazda Furai with no exceptions. Kinda makes me doubt the team's claims of how awesomely balanced the game is.

This has pretty much been my favorite car in the game since launch. It has a relatively low top speed for what it is, but it's also basically vacuum packed to the ground and has an absurd amount of grip so where a lot of cars have to brake, the Furai just needs a flick of the thumbstick and bam, you're already thinking about the line for your next turn.

Also it sounds completely nuts and looks like the Batmobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

projecthalaxy posted:

Speaking of "cheater" cars I was doing some time trials on my cars at Fujumi Kaido and decided to look at the leader boards after posting a time. The best 1000 R3 times were all a Mazda Furai with no exceptions. Kinda makes me doubt the team's claims of how awesomely balanced the game is.

Well, the game could still be remarkably balanced and yet have one or two cars that just weren't classed right. Plus, there's a feedback loop at work here. The top car is a Mazda Furai, so a lot of people looking for top time aren't going to bother trying to prep anything else because that's obviously the fastest car. Plus, it's not like you just grab the car and the tune and you're in the top 1000. Getting there requires a lot of tweaking to get the car to respond exactly to how you drive it and then a lot of laps shaving a tenth of a second off here and a tenth of a second there and slowly working your way up.

One of those new R3 cars might be better, but until someone takes the time to start over from zero (and well outside the top 1000) and slowly work toward the top with no promise that the car will ever be competitive, the vast majority of people are going to stick with the known Furai.

Back when I was autocrossing heavily, the Miata was the car to have in B-stock. Nothing else was anywhere near the top 10 nationally. When the MR-S came out, a few people tried to beat the Miata with it, with varying degrees of success. But the car wasn't obviously better, so few people worked on it and few people learned what tricks made it handle better, so the knowledge base was slim. There were a few guys who managed to work them into the top 10 nationally, but last I checked, no one had won with it. It might actually be the better, faster car, but there's not enough resources thrown behind it to find out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only goal on any of the leaderboards is to be the top ranked Ferrari.. screw the popular cars, I drive what I like and make them as good as I can.

I was doing pretty good for a couple months after release, lately I haven't been watching as closely.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
So if you drop an S50 into the E30, add race exhaust, and cut power by 50% you have a 170hp car that sounds a little bit more like a SpecE30 :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

xzzy posted:

My only goal on any of the leaderboards is to be the top ranked Ferrari.. screw the popular cars, I drive what I like and make them as good as I can.

I was doing pretty good for a couple months after release, lately I haven't been watching as closely.

I prefer to do this too, but my problem is that Lotus is my favorite car company and most of their cars happen to be leaderboard cars :(

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm pretty sure I have the fastest Lancer on Fujumi and Le Mans. Certainly at R3. I love my 795PI Evo. Smoking 430s and Ford GTs in what still looks like (but most certainly isn't) a stock $50K sedan is so incredibly fun. Beat a Zonda and a F430GT at hill climbing.

Would anyone be interested in a hill climb race series online?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Tonight's BTCC Rules - FINAL
CAR SELECTION:
Any MY 2000 or newer FWD sedan, hatchback, or wagon.
Up to 2.0 liter naturally aspirated motors.
Up to 1.6l turbo/supercharged motors.
Power to weight ratio limit is a minimum of 7.35 Pounds/HP.
Horsepower is capped at 295.

OFFICIAL Car List
Toyota Prius (all)
2001 Mazda Mazdaspeed Familia
2002 Suzuki Liana
2003 Ford SVT Focus
2003 Mini Cooper S
2004 Peugeot 206 RC
2007 Peugeot 207 RC
2008 Alfa Romeo MiTo
2009 Citroën C4 VTS
2009 Mini Cooper John Cooper Works
2009 Nissan Versa SL
2009 Scion xD
2009 SEAT Ibiza Cupra2010 Abarth 500 EsseEsse
2010 Fiat Punto EVO Sport
2010 Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart2011 Chevrolet Volt
2011 Citroën DS3
2011 Honda CR-Z EX
2011 Kia Cee'd
2011 Lexus CT200h
2011 Mini Clubman John Cooper Works
2011 Peugeot 308 GTi
2011 Suzuki SX4 Sportback2011 Vauxhall Agila
2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

Must have a race livery. Any style race livery is allowed, with no required sponsors, just has to be a respectable looking race livery.

In:
ENGINE:
Race flywheel.
Cams allowed up to stage 2.
Turbo/supercharger upgrade not permitted.
N/A motors less than 2.0 liters may be bored to 2.0 liters.
F/I motors less than 1.6 liters may be bored to 1.6 liters.
Everything else is free game within hp/weight confine.
SUSPENSION/CHASSIS: Mandatory: race brakes, suspension, swaybars, full roll cage, race weight reduction.
DRIVETRAIN: race clutch & transmission. Differential/driveshaft is free.
WHEELS AND TIRES: Race tires up to 225mm wide* on 18" Rims. If that specific combination is not available (e.g. 235mm stock tires, or 20" stock rims) use the closest available match.
AERO: only street aero allowable (ie no adjustable aero, and no sport aero)
I've been sick, so I don't know whether I'll make it tonight or not.
If I'm not online by 7:30 Mountain, look for a lobby set up by Joe or Dan (TheCowboyJoe or Krautastic). They're my SCCA buddies, and the guys who wrote and playtested this week's rules.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 1, 2012

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I feel kinda lost but can I get a clarificaiton?
If your car is not 2.0L, you can bore out to 2.0L only if it's turbo/supercharged?

Also the "minimum" 7.35lb/HP, does that mean we have to be able to upgrade parts on the car to reach at least 7.35, or upgrades cannot exceed 7.35?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Jabs posted:

Tonight's BTCC Rules - FINAL
CAR SELECTION:
Any MY 2000 or newer FWD sedan, hatchback, or wagon.
Up to 2.0 liter naturally aspirated motors.
Up to 1.6l turbo/supercharged motors.
Power to weight ratio limit is a minimum of 7.35 Pounds/HP.
Horsepower is capped at 295.

OFFICIAL Car List
Toyota Prius (all)
2001 Mazda Mazdaspeed Familia
2002 Suzuki Liana
2003 Ford SVT Focus
2003 Mini Cooper S
2004 Peugeot 206 RC
2007 Peugeot 207 RC
2008 Alfa Romeo MiTo
2009 Citroën C4 VTS
2009 Mini Cooper John Cooper Works
2009 Nissan Versa SL
2009 Scion xD
2009 SEAT Ibiza Cupra2010 Abarth 500 EsseEsse
2010 Fiat Punto EVO Sport
2010 Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart2011 Chevrolet Volt
2011 Citroën DS3
2011 Honda CR-Z EX
2011 Kia Cee'd
2011 Lexus CT200h
2011 Mini Clubman John Cooper Works
2011 Peugeot 308 GTi
2011 Suzuki SX4 Sportback2011 Vauxhall Agila
2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

Must have a race livery. Any style race livery is allowed, with no required sponsors, just has to be a respectable looking race livery.

In:
ENGINE:
Race flywheel.
Cams allowed up to stage 2.
Turbo/supercharger upgrade not permitted.
N/A motors less than 2.0 liters may be bored to 2.0 liters.
F/I motors less than 1.6 liters may be bored to 1.6 liters.
Everything else is free game within hp/weight confine.
SUSPENSION/CHASSIS: Mandatory: race brakes, suspension, swaybars, full roll cage, race weight reduction.
DRIVETRAIN: race clutch & transmission. Differential/driveshaft is free.
WHEELS AND TIRES: Race tires up to 225mm wide* on 18" Rims. If that specific combination is not available (e.g. 235mm stock tires, or 20" stock rims) use the closest available match.
AERO: only street aero allowable (ie no adjustable aero, and no sport aero)
I've been sick, so I don't know whether I'll make it tonight or not.
If I'm not online by 7:30 Mountain, look for a lobby set up by Joe or Dan (TheCowboyJoe or Krautastic). They're my SCCA buddies, and the guys who wrote and playtested this week's rules

Is there a reason the 2000+ Integra/RSX doesn't qualify? I still had one of my mostly tuned ones from a previous race and I thought it was a 2 liter

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Was the Bugatti SS ever released as DLC? I ask because I'll be picking this up soon and I want that god drat car without paying for the Collector's Edition.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Liku posted:

Was the Bugatti SS ever released as DLC? I ask because I'll be picking this up soon and I want that god drat car without paying for the Collector's Edition.

It's in the game by default, you don't need to buy anything extra.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
New King of the Track Rival challenge is up. I set the inaugural time for AUGR. Good look beating it Rampage Jackson car haters.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

General Probe posted:

New King of the Track Rival challenge is up. I set the inaugural time for AUGR. Good look beating it Rampage Jackson car haters.

gently caress yesss. If you beat Rampage's time, you get a '69 Camaro SS unicorn! Gonna outrun a UFC fighter gently caress yeeeeeeeeah.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

T1g4h posted:

gently caress yesss. If you beat Rampage's time, you get a '69 Camaro SS unicorn! Gonna outrun a UFC fighter gently caress yeeeeeeeeah.

Another one? They just gave it out a few weeks ago drat it.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

PopeOnARope posted:

Another one? They just gave it out a few weeks ago drat it.
Only to VIPs. Also when do we get our cars for the last celebrity challenge?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Not exactly. It was some kind of perk for preordering. People who didn't preorder can't get it at all, they can't even buy it on the marketplace, at least until the ultimate version of the game comes out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Not exactly. It was some kind of perk for preordering. People who didn't preorder can't get it at all, they can't even buy it on the marketplace, at least until the ultimate version of the game comes out.

I thought he meant the EB110 SS.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bentai posted:

I feel kinda lost but can I get a clarificaiton?
If your car is not 2.0L, you can bore out to 2.0L only if it's turbo/supercharged?

Also the "minimum" 7.35lb/HP, does that mean we have to be able to upgrade parts on the car to reach at least 7.35, or upgrades cannot exceed 7.35?

I'm not exactly sure on the displacement, but lbs/horsepower can't be lower than 7.35. Mine's currently at an 8.0.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

General Probe posted:

Only to VIPs. Also when do we get our cars for the last celebrity challenge?

I think I saw something about the cars being sent out around the time the new DLC launches.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I said come in! posted:

Thank you good sir, I thought it was limited to the Collector's Edition.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Liku posted:

Thank you good sir, I thought it was limited to the Collector's Edition.

Well now I better ask, do you mean the Veyron Super Sport? Cause you said SS, and my mind instantly thought the EB110 SS. Don't buy the Collectors Edition, because I bet those cars are buyable DLC eventually.

Do buy the game anyways though, cause you probably wont even play with any of the cars you thought you would. That's what happened ot me anyways. There's to many!

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 2, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Who's doing the invite for the BTCC race tonight? I haven't seen an invite yet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I said come in! posted:

Well now I better ask, do you mean the Veyron Super Sport? Cause you said SS, and my mind instantly thought the EB110 SS. Don't buy the Collectors Edition, because I bet those cars are buyable DLC eventually.

Ahh, drat, I did. Oh well, I don't think that single car is worth forking over an extra $50-$60 for anyway. Still sucks though; here's to DLC!

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I hate when you have to work too late to make the race. Sorry, BTCC guys. Somebody post results and pics. I was looking forward to setting up an Alfa Mito. I might make one anyway, just in case this spec comes back.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I thought he meant the EB110 SS.

Ah, I see. I thought you meant the Veyron Super Sport. Sorry about that.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Flint Ironstag posted:

I hate when you have to work too late to make the race. Sorry, BTCC guys. Somebody post results and pics. I was looking forward to setting up an Alfa Mito. I might make one anyway, just in case this spec comes back.

Same here. I thought I was gonna get out on time then my supervisor suddenly sprung more work on me. Oh well mo money I guess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Ah, I see. I thought you meant the Veyron Super Sport. Sorry about that.

No worries. :P Turns out we are talking about the Veyron Super Sport, that one is in the collectors edition.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there a reason the 2000+ Integra/RSX doesn't qualify? I still had one of my mostly tuned ones from a previous race and I thought it was a 2 liter
It left the other eligible cars in the dust. Along with most of the other Hondas.

If anyone can work out a reasonable handicap for them (power wise - in the sense of restrictor plate, or a different but equitable P/W ratio) I'm game for hearing...

And I think the BTCC will come back.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Jabs posted:

It left the other eligible cars in the dust. Along with most of the other Hondas.

If anyone can work out a reasonable handicap for them (power wise - in the sense of restrictor plate, or a different but equitable P/W ratio) I'm game for hearing...

And I think the BTCC will come back.

I want results, pics, times, fingerprints, witnesses, and DNA results. Our little Wednesday race has become the highlight of my gaming week.

I would have been there tonight, but late parts delivery, combined with an impatient customer, meant I had to put the top half of an engine back together prematurely.

Now, think about it. Would you really want the guy putting your engine back together to rush, or take his time and double check everything before you got your car back? Oh well, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Nope, need it now. If something goes wrong I'll just make you fix it at your expense.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

speedtek posted:

Nope, need it now. If something goes wrong I'll just make you fix it at your expense.

And that's why I will make you wait, even if I have to miss my race. I don't do slipshod work, so go ahead and complain to corporate.

But I see what you did there, and I see how you picked your user name. :iceburn: (or something)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So I'm trying to do some paintjobs and I originally started doing an Adidas logo for this Koenig, but it turned into some artsy stripes. What should I do next?

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

but I've got an adidas logo if you want it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Sure! I love trying out new logos. I'm sure we're friends on XBL, I'm Sigma One.

I think I might insert something like "KING" in the gaps on the side, dazzle it up a little.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what FM5 needs, a car show main screen with people walking around ogling your ride.

They could even tie it in to the auction house or something, the number of people standing around is proportional to how many sales you've made for that livery.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
I'd love it if you had a virtual garage you could walk around in to select a car. Even if it was limited to 8 or so of your favourites it would be awesome to wander around and check out your cars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PGR3 did that, or maybe it was PGR2.

Which is where Geometry Wars was born. :science:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Test drive unlimited had that. And its physics were about as good as arcade games get. The "drive around on the streets" factor made it a lot better.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The race time ended up conflicting with my "get important things done" time this week, which kind of sucked since FWD racing is pretty fun (if impractical) with tuned cars and people almost never want to do it.

On the other hand my wheel and pedals I ordered from fanatec came in and I got to mess around with that late last night. It's loving awesome compared to the gamepad (and Forza on a gamepad is pretty awesome), I did some of the starting races in career mode again and even puttering around in slow cars feels pretty intense. Going around slow hairpin turns becomes interesting instead of a pain in the rear end once you can actually feel how much grip your car has and exactly where it starts to understeer instead of just jamming the control stick over and hoping you slowed down enough. There was also an nifty adjustable "ABS" setting on the wheel you can use to make it vibrate when you jam the brakes hard enough, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with actual antilock brakes but it's a nice way to compensate for not feeling jerked forward everytime I punch the brakes (some lower part of my brain seems to expect this as soon as I'm driving with pedals)

The only issue I had was that everything became uncontrollable when I turned the game to "simulation" steering. Even low powered shitboxes would spin out uncontrollably while I was going through relatively easy turns, and it's impossible to get out of slides. Everything feels perfectly responsive on "normal" steering though (very different from normal steering on a gamepad) so I've just left it on that for now. I don't know if it's something I set wrong on the wheel or if it's just Forza being stupid.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011
There is apparently an optimal setting for the fanatec and simulation steering that people have posted earlier in the thread(im sure they will repost when they see your inquiry.) I have yet to make that jump, and it may have to wait a bit longer still, but the gamepad is still fun enough for me to jump on when I make time.

• Locked thread