Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Super Delegate posted:

Thanks. I'll try to add bit.ly integration this weekend. I used twitter's bootstrap toolkit so the page is not just empty space with a form.

The twitter bootstrap toolkit is by far my favorite piece of software ever. It's amazing. Also very cool app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Sub Par posted:

Nowhere near as cool as what you guys are doing, but I made a little website, mittbucks.com that takes your income and shows you what Mitt Romney would have to spend on stuff for it to be the same % of his income. I'm proud of myself for successfully following a little jquery/css tutorial about how to build the slideshow thing on the results page, as I knew next to nothing about either before starting on this yesterday.

It's nice. Also surprising as I put in $60,000 every two weeks and it turns out Mitt makes 13 times that.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Lord Byron III posted:

Sadly, the graphics 'flicker' frequently on each re-draw. I'm using C# so I'm not sure what I can do to make that better.

"Drawing" to the windows terminal is quite slow, so you should probably only redraw just what you really need to draw every time, to avoid the flicker.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I've been suffering from a heavy bout of pneumonia recently and I'm finally at the stage where I have at least *some* energy to be active. It still costs quite a lot of energy to wrap my head around the coding and architecture I normally do at work, but I still wanted to flex my coding muscle (:smug:) and play around with Knockout, NodeJS and...well, Commodore 64.

During my recovery (sorry for sounding so E/N) I've been reading a few issues of Retro Gamer and just enjoying Commodore 64 nostalgia. So what better way to combine all this then to:

Build a sprite editor using Javascript and NodeJS:

And showing that sprite in WinVICE:

Now if only I could improve my drawing skills...

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Sagacity posted:

I've been suffering from a heavy bout of pneumonia recently and I'm finally at the stage where I have at least *some* energy to be active. It still costs quite a lot of energy to wrap my head around the coding and architecture I normally do at work, but I still wanted to flex my coding muscle (:smug:) and play around with Knockout, NodeJS and...well, Commodore 64.

During my recovery (sorry for sounding so E/N) I've been reading a few issues of Retro Gamer and just enjoying Commodore 64 nostalgia. So what better way to combine all this then to:

Build a sprite editor using Javascript and NodeJS:

And showing that sprite in WinVICE:

Now if only I could improve my drawing skills...

This is really cool. I've been playing with c64 recently as well, if you found any good references it would be great if you could share them.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

the wizards beard posted:

This is really cool. I've been playing with c64 recently as well, if you found any good references it would be great if you could share them.
The All About Your c64 series is quite good. Also, some of the stuff on Codebase64 although some of the things are simply wrong (e.g. the bitpattern of sprites).

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I got to release some terrible code I made for work under the MIT license. Someone asked me to put it on pypi. So I did

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/hanzo-warc-tools/0.2

I'm somewhere between proud and embarrassed.

edit: if anyone asks about the dearth of tests, I am blaming the licensing issues that prevent me distributing test data :smith:

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

poemdexter posted:

The twitter bootstrap toolkit is by far my favorite piece of software ever. It's amazing. Also very cool app.

Bootstrap 2.0 comes out today. It also will break everything if you just drop in the new stylesheet so beware.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

mintskoal posted:

Bootstrap 2.0 comes out today. It also will break everything if you just drop in the new stylesheet so beware.

If my company wasn't so god drat OCD about their perfectly crafted css style sheets, I would use bootstrap and be king of web development and the clients would be all up in my poo poo trying to get a piece of this action.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

It really is the best framework I've worked with. I've tried like the 960 and HTML5 boilerplate and nothing compares. It's so much easier to go

code:
<div class = "container">
    <div class = "row">
        <div class = "span4">
            Menu
        </div>
        <div class = "span8">
            Content
        </div>
    </div>
</div>
...and end up with a nice, consistent two column 940px layout. I mean god drat is that simple.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Hey so i've been working on a couple things, one big project that i've been for far too long that's been delayed by real life getting in the way and a smaller side project that was really fun to do.

So the big project is a flash game i'm going to be putting on FlashGameLicense soon called Capital Kay. It's a platformer that you control entirely through typing commands to the dude to make him move about like "jump" or "left" or "jump left". It has a sweet tounge in cheek film noir story with cutscenes and everything. It has some cool mechanics including a LOGO style command parser so you can string long lists of commands together like "right 1 jump left 1 shoot", where numbers are the amount of time in seconds, as well as levels where there's big explosions and collapsing buildings and all sorts of jazz.

I can't link to it just yet as I need to a) finish the end cutscene and b) make a snazzy trailer and other materials for putting it on FGL and from what I understand they understandingly look down on making stuff publically available before you sell it on there.

The second thing is an online version of the first Advance Wars game, using a rad networking library/server hosting package called PlayerIO. It's currently called Clone Wars Online but I hate the name so any suggestions on that would be fab.

It currently supports creating/joining games, unit map movement, unit attacking and battle sequences, as well as some fancy (and faithful to the original) GUI effects. I'm in the process of adding more than just Infantry units, as well as buildings and adding clientside notification for the end of the game.

I did a video for my portfolio that might show things off a little better. (Excuse my voice I was trying to sound clear and ended up sounding a bit silly).

You can play this one by either going to here for a single instance or here for a side by side double instance so you can play yourself. You can use fake emails to register and I don't have direct access to your password or email data anyway I don't believe if that matters to you.

edit: Oh crap I forgot to mention, the only map available is called testmap
I'm pretty sure it's case sensitive too so keep that in mind!
Oh and you'll need to make two accounts if you want to play yourself since it doesn't allow multiple logins!

brian fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 31, 2012

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

e: ^^^^^^ jealous.

netcat posted:

"Drawing" to the windows terminal is quite slow, so you should probably only redraw just what you really need to draw every time, to avoid the flicker.

After posting, went digging and found the handy System.Console.SetCursorPosition(x, y). Movement, no flicker. At the rate I'm going I might have a playable room by next week. :v:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mintskoal posted:

It really is the best framework I've worked with. I've tried like the 960 and HTML5 boilerplate and nothing compares. It's so much easier to go

code:
<div class = "container">
    <div class = "row">
        <div class = "span4">
            Menu
        </div>
        <div class = "span8">
            Content
        </div>
    </div>
</div>
...and end up with a nice, consistent two column 940px layout. I mean god drat is that simple.
Do they seriously put spaces around the equals sign? :psyduck:

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

No, that was me without intellisense. :ohdear:

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

poemdexter posted:

I agree, although I wish people that use it would spend a little more effort customizing the look and feel. The default look is great, but seeing just about every new web project look exactly the same is getting a bit old.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can't say I'm working on it as it's basically done in one evening now that I stopped dicking around, but that's the first thing in a while that has any sort of graphics so I'm going to post it anyway.

Creates N*M graphs and calculates the distances (fill shade) and shortest paths (yellow line) from the source. Nodes can be disconnected (red ones) and reconnected interactively, and the source can be moved as well. This was supposed to help a friend with her homework, however it's far beyond the requirements and into the "just for fun" territory now, though hopefully would be still helpful in understanding this stuff.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Can't say I'm working on it as it's basically done in one evening now that I stopped dicking around, but that's the first thing in a while that has any sort of graphics so I'm going to post it anyway.

Creates N*M graphs and calculates the distances (fill shade) and shortest paths (yellow line) from the source. Nodes can be disconnected (red ones) and reconnected interactively, and the source can be moved as well. This was supposed to help a friend with her homework, however it's far beyond the requirements and into the "just for fun" territory now, though hopefully would be still helpful in understanding this stuff.

What algorithm are you using? Dijkstra's? A*?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Looks like a straight-up flood-fill distance field to me. If he was using a heuristic-guided search it wouldn't be necessary to calculate distances for every node.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Internet Janitor posted:

Looks like a straight-up flood-fill distance field to me. If he was using a heuristic-guided search it wouldn't be necessary to calculate distances for every node.

Flood fill for the colored grid but then some heuristic for the path I would imagine.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

I got real tired of Big-rear end Message's Flash bullshit, so I made a very simple HTML/CSS clone: Big-CSS Message. As a bonus, I learned a tiny bit about Mongo and @font-face!

next thing to do I think is themes.

Deus Rex fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 1, 2012

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

brian posted:

Advance Wars clone

Oh, you (beautiful) bastard. I've been working on something like this on and off for years, but I always shelf/scrap it before I get much further than the movement system. I always thought Advance Wars deserved a decent remake with good online multiplayer.

Literally :allears: over this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm using the basic Dijkstra's algorithm, no heuristics, so it calculates distances to every node. I didn't do anything more complicated for several reasons:
  • Although for the assignment the start and destination nodes are given at startup, graph size is is <20*20 and Dijkstra's is fast enough as it is.
  • My friend is just barely following along so I wanted to avoid over complicating stuff whenever possible. Also I haven't opened an algorithm book in my life prior to this, and I'm still recovering form writing a Latin square generator as an exact cover problem solver with Knuth's DLX :D
  • Once I made this thing, it made sense to keep things this way as the green square (the destination) follows the mouse, and having anything precalculated means I just follow the predecessor pointers from the node under the cursor back to the source, drawing the lines as I go along.
that said, now that it's in the toy stage so I'll try to make some improvements once I have the time. Although precalculating everything doesn't bother me for the above reasons, dis/re-connecting nodes forces a complete recalculation, and I'd prefer to avoid that as it can be a rather frequent operation compared to the initial setup.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Not Operator posted:

Oh, you (beautiful) bastard. I've been working on something like this on and off for years, but I always shelf/scrap it before I get much further than the movement system. I always thought Advance Wars deserved a decent remake with good online multiplayer.

Literally :allears: over this.

Thanks, i've done the same thing, I tried to do it the first time like 6 years ago and just plain didn't know enough about what to do, then for my university thesis/final year project I did a C++ single player version of it as an example of a game engine architecture I was writing about, then finally started doing this one which started as a port of the C++ one.

There's no like roadmap or anything and I don't want to put a timeframe on when it'll be done but the vast majority of the game is done now so it shouldn't be that long for the game part to be done, although I do need to do a map editor at some point.

If you or anyone you know is actually really into Advance Wars especially if you know anything about how the balance is with regards to CO powers, I really want to do a sort of persistant CO levelling system but I have no idea how to approach it without accidentally ending up with a Colin level gently caress up. I know remarkably little about the game for how much I like it.

avidal
May 19, 2006
bawl-some

mintskoal posted:

If anyone with a dirty Gmail account is interested in testing I'll set your account to the paid version.

I'll give it a shot. alex.vidal [at] gmail

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

avidal posted:

I'll give it a shot. alex.vidal [at] gmail

Any of you guys can go to https://unsubscribr.com/ and try it out. If you want to use the full version, just do the sign up and use the code "sagoon" (without quotes) and it will enable all of the jazz for free.

Thanks to all you guys who've used it before. I ended up rewriting the scan engine based on some of the performance data I collected during testing and it's much, much more stable now. However, all user accounts were reset. Sorry about that.

Note: I hate this, but I added support for Yahoo mail but it uses basic authentication. I wish Yahoo/Hotmail/everyone supported OAuth over IMAP.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I implemented the metropolis photon shooting method as described in this paper. It's definitely better than replica exchange for spreading photons evenly across the screen. I modified the importance function to include path brightness, it seems to sample caustics and highlights little better without impacting the rest of the scene too much. In addition to better stratification of samples in screen space, the metropolis method has a very pleasing noise pattern.

Quick studio render. One hour render time on 3 cores.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Super Delegate posted:

Thanks. I'll try to add bit.ly integration this weekend. I used twitter's bootstrap toolkit so the page is not just empty space with a form.

Your going to get raped by spammers fyi.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

brian posted:

The second thing is an online version of the first Advance Wars game, using a rad networking library/server hosting package called PlayerIO. It's currently called Clone Wars Online but I hate the name so any suggestions on that would be fab.

Not only is it a silly name, but you'll get into poo poo with Lucasarts for it too.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

duck monster posted:

Not only is it a silly name, but you'll get into poo poo with Lucasarts for it too.

As opposed to just getting into poo poo with Nintendo for directly ripping the art assets and gameplay? I mean I dislike the name but I mean it's a fan game which is ridiculously shaky legal ground as is.

And seriously I need suggestions for a new name, Custom Wars, Commander Wars and AWOnline are already taken by other fan projects.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

brian posted:

As opposed to just getting into poo poo with Nintendo for directly ripping the art assets and gameplay? I mean I dislike the name but I mean it's a fan game which is ridiculously shaky legal ground as is.

And seriously I need suggestions for a new name, Custom Wars, Commander Wars and AWOnline are already taken by other fan projects.

Doppelgänger Conflict!!!

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Lumpy posted:

Doppelgänger Conflict!!!

I just spent far too long doing that but the name made me laugh so I guess that's what it's called from now on!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

brian posted:

I just spent far too long doing that but the name made me laugh so I guess that's what it's called from now on!

you forgot the umlaut.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

brian posted:

Nintendo have a long history of ignoring that sort of thing. You don't know that Lucas films will be happy with you repurposing the names of one of its biggest IPs for some other thing. They are not nintendo. Nintendos business practices are not relevant.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

syntaxrigger posted:

you forgot the umlaut.

Look again!

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

brian posted:

This is awesome

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

brian posted:

Look again!

gently caress yeah umlauts!! Pretty pro sir! Good job.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

brian posted:

It's missing the three exclamation points...

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Gordon Cole posted:

It's missing the three exclamation points...

Damnit man I was eating!

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Perfect! Put it on Steam for 5bux and I'll buy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuatro
Sep 16, 2004
i am working on a 2D outdoor survival type of game, sorta like dwarf fortress sorta like unreal world. currently i have terrain, multithreaded pathfinding and basic projectiles working. here is a screen:

and you can download a demo of it here from my dropbox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7402913/OpenGLTest-2012-02-02.7z

depending on the # of cores in your system it will scale the number of pathfinding threads with a minimum of 2. on a core 2 e8500 with a 560Ti it gets around ~3000 FPS. On a i7 with a crappy Radeon HD 6350 it usually hovers around 800 FPS.
The demo will create 100 guys that can move around and hunt/build or wander randomly. The trees will slow an object down and they cannot pass through the deep blue water or mountains or any wall that you build.

Controls:
  • F1 - Bring up the Object List (click on an object will move to it and select it). This is where you can select objects to become builders.
  • F12 - Bring up log this also gets saved in the folder under Log.txt and will only show bad things so you shouldn't see anything here.
  • Left Mouse - Select an object
  • Right Mouse - Action menu for selected object
  • Middle Mouse - Hold it to pan around
  • Mouse Wheel - Zoom In/Out
  • B - Toggle build mode - when in build mode if you left click it will create a red square where builders will come and build a wall, right click will remove the building
  • H - All objects will start hunting each other
  • W - All objects will wander around randomly

When you select the All Hunt or All Wander it will create 100 path finding jobs so at first you may see some slow down until the path finder can catch up.
It should be pretty stable so post here if you run into any problems. And if you cant run it it should let you know but it only requires OpenGL 3.3 so most cards should support that these days.

if you have any problems just PM me or post here and ill see what I can do to fix it. But it should be pretty stable and work as long as you have updated drivers.

cuatro fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 3, 2012