Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Grant DaNasty posted:

When Joey Diaz talks about sex it's just so nasty. I kind of want to hear an audio book of Joey reading Penthouse Forum stories with his own spin on them.

"And then he gets in dere n' eats that hot sweaty monkey."

"If I saw Chaz Bono at the Coffee Bean I'd say show me your pickle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

Tom, this is "Mayor's Fun Money." You can use it anywhere.
Lucy Snorebush

I cannot say that name without breaking into a fit of laughter.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Is there a better line than:

You sucked dick for 20 years and now you wanna change governments!

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Really enjoying how defensive Joe's bullshit pills ads have been lately.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

They've honestly made me have to take a break from the show. At first I didn't mind them, but 10+ minutes of "Hey I know a lot of people give me poo poo but TRUST ME IT WORKS" got really loving annoying.

It's weird, they didn't annoy me at all until he kept pointing out over and over every single show that other people get pissed off at it. Just can't stand it anymore.

I wish he would just make them a pre-recorded spot stuck at the beginning and/or end of the podcast so I can just skip it (exactly how I do with Jay Mohr and Marc Maron's podcasts).

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

What are you guys talking about? I would agree with Rogan that 15 minute long-form commercials about a product he doesn't ever seem to want to endorse but was pressured into it by Chris "Aubrey" Marcus is definitely the best way to go about it. Especially the 30 seconds of justifying the length that he has to include.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
He spends 5 minutes promoting a product in a way that he is comfortable with, and then he gives you 2-3 hours of free entertainment. Whats the big deal?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Welcome to the internet, where people will complain about the small nuisances in their free entertainment while they provide nothing to the table.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Half the time if you miss the beginning of the plug they'll just bullshit for five minutes and then mention it's been a commercial. This is honestly the last podcast with ads to complain about.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

See the thing is I almost never get annoyed at this stuff, ever. I never had any problems with the fleshlight ads, not once, even when they went on and on. With the Rogan pill ads it just gets very, very tiring hearing him get so defensive and complain about people, insulting the audience every single time. I know I could just skip up until Brian hits the music but I don't want to miss anything funny since that is part of the show! I'll get back to him eventually the last couple weeks I just kinda go Ugh when I think about him desperately defending those pills. If he could contain his anger or just do a prerecorded ad, it'd be fine.

Also it's not fair at all to make it sound like you're some sort of rear end in a top hat for having any criticism about free internet entertainment. How's a show supposed to get better without any feedback? He's making some dollars now with his sponsors so trust me he wants to put on the best show he can. poo poo, the only other annoyance I had with this show wasn't even about Joe, it was way back in like July when he had on that lecturing dude who never stopped talking.

But as I said in my post, I'm not mad about the ads themselves at all, I'm bitching about his bitching! :)

To end this classy, has he said anything about NBC not airing the Fear Factor episode/segment where the contestants had to drink donkey semen?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've been pretty annoyed by the commercials as well, although not quite to the point of stopping listening. My problem with it is that they'll be talking and get way off topic, and Joe will cut it off and say "This is a commercial, we'll talk about that after" and then they never do. Sometimes they get so off-topic that Joe doesn't even remember which product he's promoting. (although that happens a lot in the show itself, where they're so high and move onto another topic and then get distracted and say "uh, where were we?" and then they go back to whatever they were talking about 3 topics ago).

It just makes the show have a really slow, awkwardly disjointed start. I feel like it'd be better if it were split up, and the Fleshlight ad was at the start and the Onnit at the end or something. I actually appreciated the fact that Redban was trying to move the commercials along a few podcasts ago.

Joe: We're also sponsored by Onnit.com, makers of Alpha Brain...
Redban: Yep, and if you don't like it, make it yourself.

EDIT: And I agree with the guy above me, I've never minded the Fleshlight ads, even to this day. They usually spark some funny conversation. I've never heard any funny, or even interesting conversations during the brain pill ads. Just Joe being really defensive.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 2, 2012

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

To end this classy, has he said anything about NBC not airing the Fear Factor episode/segment where the contestants had to drink donkey semen?

He brought it up towards the end of the most recent episode with eddie bravo and joey. He said that he thought they crossed the line and didn't think it'd ever get aired.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
If you're watching the video podcasts, you can just fast forward until the title screen is gone. Personally, I don't care that much about the ads. This show is at least partially in the background for me; I don't give a talk show my undivided attention for a solid 3 hours, even though I enjoy it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I get Joe's AlphaAnger now. People on his forums are loving vicious about it. It's quite entertaining to read.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So the last podcast was pretty cool with Joe talking about how women are completely unable to be any kind of leader unless it's in some sort of "banana republic" and then he goes on to have absolutely no clue what he's talking about re: Margaret Thatcher. Sweet!
For someone who's so outspoken against negativity etc, it's hilarious to hear him basically poo poo all over a gender. Some people in this thread has talked about Joe's misogyny before, but I haven't really noticed in any obvious fashion before now.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

On the forums he said it was "joking among men" and you either "don't have any friends" or "are a woman" if you don't get it.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
He opens the show talking about not wanting to have to hear two women talk. There is a hint of misogyny in at least one thing he says in basically every single episode if you're paying attention. He always backpedals immediately if he catches himself though.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

jyrka posted:

On the forums he said it was "joking among men" and you either "don't have any friends" or "are a woman" if you don't get it.

Haha, well that certainly doesn't help matters

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
bwahahahah, somebody made this over at Rogan's forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcM5zeQWT1o

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

I actually like it when Brian tries to plug the Olive Garden every episode.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Men can make tons of babies because jaguars are eating so many of them SONNNNNN

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin
Good lord are the people on Rogan's board a bunch of cunts. It's like at least a 10:1 ratio of shitposting to actual posting, but this one guy basically nailed it on the head in regards to the AlphaBrain thing. They hired some dude as "Scientific Advisor" who has a BS from Brown (sorry for the wall of text but you need an account to view):

JamesMMA posted:

As far as the new "advisor" to the company, while I don't have any particular want or need to be uncouth as I don't know him, but the fact that someone with only a bachelor's degree in a field as esoteric and complex as neuroscience is being called a scientific advisor says quite a few things, among them being that Mr. Marcus has questionable judgement when it comes to what actually is expert scientific advisement. Again, not anything against the gentlemen in question, but as a more general claim in this context. If you want a real scientific advisor you find someone with some real and significant credentials and who is respected within the neuroscientific community. Someone with only a bachelors degree simply does not have the grasp of the nuances and even the total base knowledge to deal with the complexities of the neurological and physiological (and even psychological) components at play, not because he isn't intelligent, because he probably is, but even for a very intelligent person it simply isn't enough time to get a good understanding of everything involved (unless you're something of a savant).

This just seems like another marketing ploy (along with the potential for getting new criticisms with the probable goal of filling the gaps in his argument) with the aim of being able to say something to the effect, "We have a scientific advisor in our company and he has a degree in neuroscience." While technically true, and will sell to the scientifically uneducated (which I would guess is the goal) it doesn't tell the whole story. There is a drastic difference between a bachelors and a doctorate. That is why someone with a bachelors degree in psychology can't open a practice and accept patients. Yes, they have some credentials but they simply do not have the necessary knowledge.

To me this move does not give any clout whatsoever to the claims of Onnit and its founder and upon reflection and scrutiny should worry those who are aware.

tl;dr, make it yourself and eat at Olive Garden.

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.
Has anyone here tried any of the Onnit stuff?

widunder
May 2, 2002

Joey Donuts posted:

Has anyone here tried any of the Onnit stuff?
I did ten pills of Alpha Brain, just felt nauseated and got my money back.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

http://www.alphanail.com/

Crash Fistfight
Mar 29, 2007

First now I understood the true complexity of women.

Everything about that thing is absolutely loving ridiculous.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Thankfully Joe doesn't actually promote alphanail. I think he and Brian actually make fun of it on some podcast or other- I was really hoping they'd actually talk to Aubrey about it on the second podcast he did, but alas--

Crash Fistfight posted:

Everything about that thing is absolutely loving ridiculous.

Sounds like something a man with beta nails would say.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Thankfully Joe doesn't actually promote alphanail. I think he and Brian actually make fun of it on some podcast or other- I was really hoping they'd actually talk to Aubrey about it on the second podcast he did, but alas--

Nail polish for WARRIORS

So silly.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bohemian Nights posted:

Sounds like something a man with beta nails would say.

Didn't they actually bring it up one of the times he was on?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Listening to the new Callen and Jimmy Burke episode. Dunno if I can get through it because I'm finding Jimmy incredibly annoying and fake.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
This Jason Silva guy right now is so insanely in over his head I don't know what the gently caress he's even talking about anymore, and Joe is clearly high as gently caress. Good stuff.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
Bryan and Jimmy was a good ep, I liked it. Jimmy steals the show if you ask me.

I'd say skip the Jason Silva ep, the guy is full of poo poo and joe makes the same points he always makes.

edit: there is a good part where they riff on an R. Kelly video but that's all

Demie fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 10, 2012

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You guys just arent giving him credit for how fast he says things, along with his internal quote machine

Phatzilla fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 10, 2012

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
also, has brogan mentioned that McKinney clown every single podcast? Id really like to know

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
McKinney? Do you mean McKenna? He gets brought up a lot when the subject is mushrooms, drugs, consciousness or anything vaguely related to these subjects.
He might not be entirely on the ball with everything he says, but I dunno if I'd call him a clown. He's actually a pretty interesting character if you check him out.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

CortezFantastic posted:

Listening to the new Callen and Jimmy Burke episode. Dunno if I can get through it because I'm finding Jimmy incredibly annoying and fake.

Check out the Bryan Callen show with Chris D'Elia through deathsquad.tv instead. It's hilarious all the way through.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I don't know why Callen did a podcast through Deathsquad when it would probably be better for him to do it on his own.

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bohemian Nights posted:

McKinney? Do you mean McKenna? He gets brought up a lot when the subject is mushrooms, drugs, consciousness or anything vaguely related to these subjects.
He might not be entirely on the ball with everything he says, but I dunno if I'd call him a clown. He's actually a pretty interesting character if you check him out.

I was doing my joey diaz, i should have misspelt the name even more though

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

CortezFantastic posted:

I don't know why Callen did a podcast through Deathsquad when it would probably be better for him to do it on his own.

I'm sure it's because they have a lot of equipment and it would be easier to do a podcast under your friend's friends podcast label than trying to start your own """""""studio""""""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
redban doesn't chime in very much at all on Bryan's show, if it makes you feel any better. Except maybe the first ep, cause that was more like a joe rogan show.