Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

being less changed does not make it AOSP.
He didn't say it is AOSP, he said it is "relatively inoffensive—basically AOSP".

I have to say I agree; compared to what HTC is doing current Motorola designs are indeed "relatively inoffensive".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Thoom posted:

That sounds like it could be some sort of CAPTCHA that's being used as part of GV's spam filter.

Yes but how do I get rid of it :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

If they are all changed from AOSP, one being less changed does not make it AOSP.

The other brands do not even need to come into the conversation. Is it different from AOSP, yes or no.

If we're going to go down that route, the Nexus One wasn't AOSP when it released because it came with Facebook, Amazon, and used a non-AOSP launcher.

There's pretty much no such thing as an AOSP phone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

If we're going to go down that route, the Nexus One wasn't AOSP when it released because it came with Facebook, Amazon, and used a non-AOSP launcher.

Don't do this, you'll break his poor little brain! :ohdear:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

This is correct. Nexus one was not an AOSP device.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Don't do this, you'll break his poor little brain! :ohdear:

You take your phones so personally

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 30, 2012

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
ITS NOT AOSP ALREADY JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ.

Anyway, loving my Droid Maxx. Great battery life, nice and snappy and quick. 4G LTE speeds are pretty drat ridiculous. Gives my home FiOS a run for its money at times...

Even more pertinent to the conversation, can anyone explain to me the motorola wackiness in regards to its bootloader? I remember some controversy some time back about how motorola was doing some wacky stuff that led to the phone getting bricked if you tried to root it or something. Whats up with that?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ernie Luckman posted:

Even more pertinent to the conversation, can anyone explain to me the motorola wackiness in regards to its bootloader? I remember some controversy some time back about how motorola was doing some wacky stuff that led to the phone getting bricked if you tried to root it or something. Whats up with that?
That was someone seeing "e-fuse" on an OMAP CPU spec sheet or something and then within a day it turned into rampant rumors that the bootloader on the Droid X would self-destruct the thing if you flashed something on there that wasn't signed.

Then it got debunked, everyone went on their merry way, and people have no problem rooting it or installing custom ROMs (that must use the Motorola-signed kernel the bootloader expects to see).

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Cool thanks. Figured it was something stupid like that. I didn't have an android phone at them time and just caught the super quick alarmist media response to it without looking into it myself.

That's reassuring to find out!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Can anyone link me to a for dummies tutorial on how to root my RAZR Maxx? All this proprietary Verizon poo poo is annoying.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Ghostnuke posted:

Can anyone link me to a for dummies tutorial on how to root my RAZR Maxx? All this proprietary Verizon poo poo is annoying.

I have zero idea if it works with the razr, but there is an exploit with most of the Droid line (d2, d3, bionic) that allows for this one-click root solution:

http://www.psouza4.com/Bionic/

Download, install, go. It wont give you a custom ROM but root access will let you delete the bloatware.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
There's a specific Root android thread here, but I would wait a few days for a guide to show up specifically for rooting the Maxx rather than trying a tool for another device.

Also don't delete bloatware, use titanium backup to "freeze" it so you can still get OTA updates.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Of course there is. An AOSP phone is one that's officially supported by the AOSP project, i.e., there's device-specific repos for them in source land and (these days) android.com hosts downloadable proprietaries. In other words, it's an AOSP phone if you can follow some instructions at source.android.com to build a functioning ROM without any source modifications.

Current ICS AOSP-supported phones are the Nexus S (crespo), NS4G (crepso4g), GSM/UMTS Galaxy Nexus (maguro) and CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus (toro).

What you folks are getting at is that no device has ever shipped with a strictly AOSP ROM, and that's true. At minimum, every phone sold domestically that I'm aware of has come with Android Market and gapps, which aren't AOSP. Beyond that, they might ship with some carrier provisioning software (e.g., NS4G and Sprint apps), if not other bloatware.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ernie Luckman posted:

Even more pertinent to the conversation, can anyone explain to me the motorola wackiness in regards to its bootloader?
Motorola's bootloader implements signature verification of Android kernels to prevent them from being replaced by custom ones. Ideally, if the device is locked (and most Motorolas are), there's no mechanism to either root the device, or flash a custom (unsigned) kernel.

However, Motorola ROMs have been vulnerable to a number of root exploits over the years, which allow folks to obtain root access on the device without having to unlock the bootloader or flash a new kernel. Since Motorola devices don't feature NAND locks, once rooted you can flash a custom kernel, but due to the lack of an appropriate signature, said kernel will fail to boot.

That's why folks thought they had bricks. AFAIK, you could just SBF them back to the stock kernel and you were good.

kitten smoothie posted:

That was someone seeing "e-fuse" on an OMAP CPU spec sheet or something and then within a day it turned into rampant rumors that the bootloader on the Droid X would self-destruct the thing if you flashed something on there that wasn't signed.
Yup. xda loves to play with the Jump to Conclusions Mat.

kitten smoothie posted:

Then it got debunked, everyone went on their merry way, and people have no problem rooting it or installing custom ROMs (that must use the Motorola-signed kernel the bootloader expects to see).
Except that, since most Motorola devices don't have unlockable (or leaked, unlocked) bootloaders, they must be rooted with an exploit.

For any new device, there's no guarantee that a vulnerability exists that will be exploited to obtain root, at least, not in a timely manner. That said, folks have been doing a bang-up job one-upping Google/Motorola's security efforts in the past year.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Can anyone tell me the real differences between the Droid Pro and the Droid Charge? We are looking at an upgrade through Verizon and wondered which one is the better phone. The Droid Pro is free and the Droid Charge is $30 pre-owned (Also, how worth it is Verizon's pre-owned set-up?).

We do not have 4G in this area so it is not the most important thing in the world right now. Thanks.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Can anyone tell me the real differences between the Droid Pro and the Droid Charge? We are looking at an upgrade through Verizon and wondered which one is the better phone. The Droid Pro is free and the Droid Charge is $30 pre-owned (Also, how worth it is Verizon's pre-owned set-up?).

We do not have 4G in this area so it is not the most important thing in the world right now. Thanks.

Is the Incredible 2 an option? Because I think that's free or cheap right now, and it beats the pants off either of those phones.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Is the Incredible 2 an option? Because I think that's free or cheap right now, and it beats the pants off either of those phones.

Yeah but it is $100 and we were looking for a little cheaper smartphone.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The Droid Pro is a portrait QWERTY with a 3.1" screen. The Droid Charge is touchscreen only and 4.3" screen. Neither one has any hope for future updates. If you do want a cheap phone, there is no reason at all to spend a 2 year contract on either of them. I'm not sure which gives you the best money, but you should get something like iPhone 4 for $99 or one of the top tier but recently-reduced Androids (Rezound maybe?), sell that phone for $400-500, and buy a used Incredible or Charge or Droid 3. The Inc will be $100 or so and the other two likely under $200.

You'll make a little money, but you're committing to using an old and unsupported phone for the length of the contract. Still, if you must get a cheap Android, and you should really reconsider, that plan is better financially than wasting a subsidy on one.

Edit: Also if you don't already have a Verizon plan, make sure you check Amazon Wireless. They have much, much better subsidies, especially for new lines. An actually decent phone may be within your budget if you order from them.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 2, 2012

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Don't use up your contract extension on a phone you're going to hate. Even if you have to wait another month or two to save up another $100, it's going to be well worth it. A friend of mine bought a Droid Eris whenever they came out and now he has an iPhone because "all androids suck."

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Don't decide the next two years over $100.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
The Pro is buggy as heck, and the screen is too small to be useful.

The Charge is OK, but the stock software sucks.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just spend the $100 and get a Droid 3. Totally worth it at that price point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CPO Bionics were also only $29 on contract. They are out of stock right now though.

It's really a great deal for a low cost LTE device. I know you don't have LTE now, but it's likely coming sometime within the contract period and the Bionic works fantastic as a 3G device (it lasts FOREVER on evdo.)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Also check out CowBoom.com, they've got preowned phones at pretty decent prices. They're owned by BestBuy.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also check out amazonwireless.com, for contract extensions they currently list the Droid Incredible 2 for $0.01, and the Droid 3 for $19.99.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

The Charge is finally pretty usable with the newer Gingerbread-based lovely Samsung ROM. I'm actually posting from mine now. I wouldn't say I love the phone; battery life is about what you'd expect from a first-gen LTE device. Since you don't have LTE in your area, you should just get a Fascinate dirt cheap off of craigslist as it's an LTE-less Charge internally that ironically is capable of running circles around the actual Charge and most of the other phones in Verizon's stable via AOSP-based Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs.

Charge owners are a special breed. If you want an Android phone, a high-quality DAC for your snooty headphones, and LTE, there's no other choice. Most people probably shouldn't touch a Charge. Or maybe everyone should so that more phones hit the market with non-PenTile displays and spergtastic DACs/amps.

(Does anyone else find it humorous that people willingly use the most expensive carrier and then try to spend less than a case of lovely beer on the smartphone? I mean really, a hundred bucks? That's like eleven days of Verizon service.)

kbar fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 2, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

kalibar posted:

I mean really, a hundred bucks? That's like eleven days of Verizon service.

:stare:

What plan are you on?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

i just assume most of you idiots have kids and pay for text messaging and buy ringtones and generally engage in all types of "verizon customer" behavior

I am allowed to ridicule Verizon customers in a "loving" way now that I am one, whereas before I did not understand.

kbar fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 2, 2012

nite time dinosaur
Sep 12, 2011

this is what you get when you mess with us

kalibar posted:

The Charge is finally pretty usable with the newer Gingerbread-based lovely Samsung ROM. I'm actually posting from mine now. I wouldn't say I love the phone; battery life is about what you'd expect from a first-gen LTE device. Since you don't have LTE in your area, you should just get a Fascinate dirt cheap off of craigslist as it's an LTE-less Charge internally that ironically is capable of running circles around the actual Charge and most of the other phones in Verizon's stable via AOSP-based Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs.

Charge owners are a special breed. If you want an Android phone, a high-quality DAC for your snooty headphones, and LTE, there's no other choice. Most people probably shouldn't touch a Charge. Or maybe everyone should so that more phones hit the market with non-PenTile displays and spergtastic DACs/amps.

I'll tell you the best part about the Droid Cha

EDIT: battery died, forgot what I was going to say

nite time dinosaur fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 2, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Using a custom ROM (Infinity) based on the EP4D OTA, I'm getting pretty consistent 20-hour life on my Charge.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Does Verizon still do early upgrades? I'm a 4 line family plan with 2 upgrades available next month (03/01 and 03/14) what is the chances I can get one in the next week or two? Time to retire my OG droid to alarm clock status.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cynode posted:

Does Verizon still do early upgrades? I'm a 4 line family plan with 2 upgrades available next month (03/01 and 03/14) what is the chances I can get one in the next week or two? Time to retire my OG droid to alarm clock status.

Yes they do, what are your chances, no one knows. Flip a coin. We had a family plan with 2 line and the primary line got a early upgrade in november (we signed up the previous december).

It just showed up on the line one day, looked at account status and it said the line was available for an upgrade. Had to go through verizon though, bestbuy and other vendors could not see the upgrade availability.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 2, 2012

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Cynode posted:

I believe the official policy is you can upgrade 20 months into a 2-year contract. So, if you're within a month of upgrading, it *should* work.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

kalibar posted:

i just assume most of you idiots have kids and pay for text messaging and buy ringtones and generally engage in all types of "verizon customer" behavior

I am allowed to ridicule Verizon customers in a "loving" way now that I am one, whereas before I did not understand.

do you mean pay as in pay per text or pay as in pay at all. Because if its number two, tell me about that!

nite time dinosaur
Sep 12, 2011

this is what you get when you mess with us

Xguard86 posted:

do you mean pay as in pay per text or pay as in pay at all. Because if its number two, tell me about that!

He means pay at all. Google Voice allows you to text for free as long as you have a data connection. I've been using it exclusively for months.

I should probably go ahead and tell you right now that it would require you to port your number to Google Voice which costs $20 and will break an existing VZW contract and you'll incur the ETF. We ported to GV when we switched from AT&T to Verizon. I couldn't imagine not having GV at this point. Texting/calling from the browser for free, transcribed voicemails, call blocking, call forwarding, etc.

Also, if you have F&F and GV, you pretty much have free unlimited minutes for outgoing calls.

nite time dinosaur fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 2, 2012

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Talk to me about visiting Canada - using GPS, etc.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 3, 2012

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Aatrek posted:

I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Talk to me about visiting Canada - using GPS, etc.

I've seen a Canada plan, which is $20 more for the same minutes. Data seems to stay the same cost.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I asked about the whole GV-VZW thing here. I just left sprint (which had awesome GV integration but horrible coverage), and ported my numbers to GV from there. I also could not imagine going back from the GV setup. It's just too easy to SMS and make calls on a computer and a phone from one number.

So far it's working flawlessly on my new verizon lines. It seems like there might be some brief delays in making/receiving calls but its only about a second or so, and no big deal.

Edit : I just realized I can actually remove texting from our plan, saving 30$ a month on the bill. :dance:

ease fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 3, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

So let me get this straight:

You can get a smart phone and port your number to google voice (for $20). Then you can use that to text and you can get rid of your texting plan through Verizon?

But that can only happen after your contract is up so that you can port the number without the ETF, correct?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You could also get a new GV number and tell all the people who contact you to use the new number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Got our pricing on the D4. So its close. 8th looks to be the date.

Got to play with one at a conference Wed.

It's a lot thinner than I though it would be. Other than that, its a Bionic with a keyboard.

• Locked thread