Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Rastor posted:

You could also get a new GV number and tell all the people who contact you to use the new number.

As it turns out, it looks like you should also be able to sign up for a new number on your existing line and not end up paying an ETF OR changing your service, but of course as with anything in the cell phone industry, it's not easy and will probably take a big time investment to prevent your carrier from screwing things up somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Here is how to do it with the least level of hassle. (still a lot, and requires a CS rep who has a clue)

Call CS and tell them you want to port your number out to another carrier, but you want to keep service active with Verizon.

What they need to do is open a new line for you, on a month to month plan, then swap the numbers between the 2 (they CAN do this, but the CS rep might not know how to)

Then have them issue a credit for the activation fee, $35. ( some might want to charge a $15 number change fee, YMMV)

Port the old number out to google voice.

If you have a 4G phone, you WILL need a new SIM for the new number.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

For what it's worth, I ported a Verizon number to GV this week (to cancel the throwaway line I added to get a Nexus cheaper than full retail) and it went ridiculously smoothly.

Google said it would take 24 hours, and it took 23.5. SMS did take longer to start rolling in to the new number so expect that a couple days worth of texts will just not make it to you.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Mighty Horse posted:

Got our pricing on the D4. So its close. 8th looks to be the date.

Got to play with one at a conference Wed.

It's a lot thinner than I though it would be. Other than that, its a Bionic with a keyboard.

More a RAZR with a keyboard. The software AND hardware is much closer to that.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

kitten smoothie posted:

For what it's worth, I ported a Verizon number to GV this week (to cancel the throwaway line I added to get a Nexus cheaper than full retail) and it went ridiculously smoothly.

Google said it would take 24 hours, and it took 23.5. SMS did take longer to start rolling in to the new number so expect that a couple days worth of texts will just not make it to you.

Doesn't adding a line to your plan work out to be much more expensive than the non-contract price of the phone monthly? I'm not trying to be a dick, honestly curious how you did that.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

pbpancho posted:

More a RAZR with a keyboard. The software AND hardware is much closer to that.

The screen and overall form factor felt more like a bionic to me.

I really don't see much of a diff between the Bionic and Razr software wise.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That GV thing definitively sounds worth pursuing in the future, but my parents are included on my phone plan and I know they would rather deal with a $10 charge than risk any fuckups with porting the numbers and having to learn things about technology.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ease posted:

Doesn't adding a line to your plan work out to be much more expensive than the non-contract price of the phone monthly? I'm not trying to be a dick, honestly curious how you did that.

Add line to family plan for $10 a month ($240 total), switch upgrade to another line and get nice subsidized phone from Verizon or Amazon. No data necessary on the dummy line.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ease posted:

When I bought the Nexus, I had them add a new dummy line and put my existing Thunderbolt on it, and then transfer the upgrade so I could use it to buy the Nexus.

Then I went home and took a old dumbphone out of a drawer, and put it on the dummy line. That took the data plan off.

I did this because I got a $50 corporate negotiated discount on the Nexus but only if I signed a new 2 year contract along with it. Also, buying the device at subsidized price meant I only paid sales tax on the $249 rather than $649. So I'm up $85 or $90 relative to buying the phone outright, even if I immediately turned around and paid the ETF.

I was going to keep the line around, but I realized that when you consider taxes on top of the $9.99/month for the dummy line, it's pretty much a wash relative to just taking the ETF. So I did that, and I'm still saving money relative to just buying the phone outright.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the restock period for Verizon, again? And if I returned my Gnex and went for an iPhone would I lose my double data?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Dickeye posted:

What's the restock period for Verizon, again? And if I returned my Gnex and went for an iPhone would I lose my double data?

Unless you are cancelling the account, nothing should change.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dickeye posted:

You'll lose your double data if you drop to a 3G device, or so said the promo docs a couple months ago.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Don Lapre posted:

Unless you are cancelling the account, nothing should change.

What's the restock period, then?

A big reason I got this was to stay on top, update wise, for a while, and if I'm not getting that, then welp. I'll get something with a smaller screen and better battery life.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Dickeye posted:

A big reason I got this was to stay on top, update wise, for a while, and if I'm not getting that, then welp. I'll get something with a smaller screen and better battery life.

14 days.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Dickeye posted:

They told me two weeks.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

kitten smoothie posted:

You'll lose your double data if you drop to a 3G device, or so said the promo docs a couple months ago.

I won't lose my unlimited data going from 4G to 3g though, right?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Don Lapre posted:

14 days.

Welllllllp.

Oh well.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I won't lose my unlimited data going from 4G to 3g though, right?

You get to keep that, but if you buy an iPhone at an Apple store make double sure that they pick the unlimited plan on their little handheld POS workflow.

When I bought an iPhone for my wife after throwing her Thunderbolt in the trash where it belonged, the lady selling it to me asked "so, you want the 2 gig data, right?" and then we noticed the unlimited option was hidden way down on the bottom of her screen.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 3, 2012

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
My wife just bought a barely-used white iPhone 4 off eBay this week. She tried activating it but they said that the previous owner hadn't taken it off his account yet. She sent him an email but hadn't got a response in two days.

Is there anything she can do so Verizon can acknowledge her as the new phone's owner without having to contact the previous owner or is this a caveat emptor situation?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Redjakk posted:

My wife just bought a barely-used white iPhone 4 off eBay this week. She tried activating it but they said that the previous owner hadn't taken it off his account yet. She sent him an email but hadn't got a response in two days.

Is there anything she can do so Verizon can acknowledge her as the new phone's owner without having to contact the previous owner or is this a caveat emptor situation?

No, for 2 reasons. The phone could be lost/stolen as far as verizon is concerned. And 2 that would require your wife making changes to the persons account which she obviously cant.

Protip: if you are buying a cdma phone off ebay/craigslist/sa/anywhere you should get the ESN first and verify with the carrier that it is clear.

edit: reread the auction she won and see if it says anything about the esn at all or the phone being clear.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

edit: reread the auction she won and see if it says anything about the esn at all or the phone being clear.

There was nothing said about an ESN on the auction, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the thing.
This is turning into an absolute bummer, I should have educated myself on this sort of thing before assuming it'd work.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bewildrbeast posted:

There was nothing said about an ESN on the auction, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the thing.
This is turning into an absolute bummer, I should have educated myself on this sort of thing before assuming it'd work.

Id give the guy a few more days to respond, but if he doesn't then file a ebay/paypal dispute and hope no mention of ESN assumes the ESN is good in their eyes.

If the guy never responds to that then you get a refund and get to keep the product. Then you can atleast sell it to a cricket user.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bewildrbeast posted:

I TOLD YOU to check the ESN in IRC Bew :(

Sorry, that sucks.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Redjakk posted:

This just means he needs to do an ESN change to an older phone or a dummy esn(which verizon provides) in order for you to activate it. You should be fine assuming he's willing to cooperate. He should anyway, because otherwise he's paying for an extra $30 in data for a phone he doesn't own.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

kstatix posted:

This just means he needs to do an ESN change to an older phone or a dummy esn(which verizon provides) in order for you to activate it. You should be fine assuming he's willing to cooperate. He should anyway, because otherwise he's paying for an extra $30 in data for a phone he doesn't own.

Unless, of course, the seller just decided to stop paying his bill and sell the phone, in which case an eBay/PayPal dispute is his wife's only hope for not getting screwed.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Well, I got my Galaxy Nexus annnnnnnnnd...it's having the connectivity issues that seem to be widely reported. Constantly loses connection to 4G and even 3G, rebooting seems to make it work briefly before it drops again. From the searching I've done, it looks like Verizon has been aware of this problem since December and it's still not fixed?

If I ordered the phone online and had it shipped, can I do an exchange at a Verizon store? I may have to end up switching to an iPhone 4S, this is ridiculous. I'm a little annoyed at spending $300 for a smartphone that can't connect to anything.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Don Lapre posted:

If the guy never responds to that then you get a refund and get to keep the product. Then you can atleast sell it to a cricket user.

No, you get a refund or keep the product, not both. When I had an issue with the memory card from my Droid I purchased on Ebay I was told I would only get a refund if I sent the entire thing back with a tracking number to prove it was shipped. That was Ebay's response, after the seller was a flake.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I've had my Galaxy Nexus since launch, and haven't done any customizations, aside from changing the wallpaper and installing a couple of games.

Within the past week I noticed the battery life is getting worse and worse, to the point I have to fully charge twice a day. Looking at the battery stats the Android OS is the highest user of battery with 50%. I maybe check email and news 30 minutes a day, and talk on the phone 1-2 hours. The phone also gets extremely hot around the 10 minute mark of a phone call.

Are these common issues? Or is there something wrong with my phone?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
I've been out of the loop for a while but Im in the market for a new phone. Is VZN still boot locking their phones? I have a Droid2 and the last I heard was that it, and all Droid branded phones were boot locked and couldnt have new ROMs installed on them.

Ideally I'd like a Galaxy Nexus, but I dont have $300 to spend on a phone. And my experience with the Droid 2 has been pretty terrible since VZN and motorola install their own (buggy) versions of apps. So I need something that I can install a custom ROM on too and the phones in my price range (of free mostly) are the Incredible 2, DroidX2, Droid3, and the Droid Charge

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

No, you get a refund or keep the product, not both. When I had an issue with the memory card from my Droid I purchased on Ebay I was told I would only get a refund if I sent the entire thing back with a tracking number to prove it was shipped. That was Ebay's response, after the seller was a flake.
EBay never had me return the item I was sent. Ordered a box wave stylus which wasn't a box wave at all when I got it. Seller never responded and I had my money refunded with no request to return the product.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rugbert posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while but Im in the market for a new phone. Is VZN still boot locking their phones? I have a Droid2 and the last I heard was that it, and all Droid branded phones were boot locked and couldnt have new ROMs installed on them.

Ideally I'd like a Galaxy Nexus, but I dont have $300 to spend on a phone. And my experience with the Droid 2 has been pretty terrible since VZN and motorola install their own (buggy) versions of apps. So I need something that I can install a custom ROM on too and the phones in my price range (of free mostly) are the Incredible 2, DroidX2, Droid3, and the Droid Charge
You can't install new kernels on Motorola Verizon devices. You can still install roms.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Don Lapre posted:

You can't install new kernels on Motorola Verizon devices. You can still install roms.

huh ok cool thanks, Ill take the rest of my questions to the rooting thread.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Mark Larson posted:

Verizon is very, very aggressive with their LTE rollout and is way ahead of their earlier estimates, we might see most of the population covered by the end of 2012. They are trialling VoLTE too.

Even though I have a Thunderbolt, I like 4G enough that I like keeping it on all the time. Its worth it.

They are already past most. It's the other 20% that's in the other 50 something percent that's going to be hard. And they still need to go back into the existing locations to build up to support more than test VoLTE traffic. Just keep in mind, by overlay, they dont' mean every tower will be converted, just that LTE will be available somewhere in every market. It's going to take years before CDMA is going to go away, and we start seeing the better penetration from 700mhz.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

VerySolidSnake posted:

I've had my Galaxy Nexus since launch, and haven't done any customizations, aside from changing the wallpaper and installing a couple of games.

Within the past week I noticed the battery life is getting worse and worse, to the point I have to fully charge twice a day. Looking at the battery stats the Android OS is the highest user of battery with 50%. I maybe check email and news 30 minutes a day, and talk on the phone 1-2 hours. The phone also gets extremely hot around the 10 minute mark of a phone call.

Are these common issues? Or is there something wrong with my phone?

I sort of have the same issue as you. I can maintain a solid cdma connection if I disable the lte radio. I've tried flashing new radios but that didn't seem to change anything.

I can get short bursts of lte connectivity but it drops when a new request for data goes. I'm in San Francisco so I'm in a pretty covered lte area.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

EBay never had me return the item I was sent. Ordered a box wave stylus which wasn't a box wave at all when I got it. Seller never responded and I had my money refunded with no request to return the product.

In my situation the seller fought it. If they don't respond I think Ebay assumes you were correct. Also, you're comparing a stylus to a phone that cost over $100 at the time.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

Congobongo posted:

I sort of have the same issue as you. I can maintain a solid cdma connection if I disable the lte radio. I've tried flashing new radios but that didn't seem to change anything.

I can get short bursts of lte connectivity but it drops when a new request for data goes. I'm in San Francisco so I'm in a pretty covered lte area.

This is exactly what my Nexus is doing. Verizon tech support says it's a software issue that Samsung is working on, but they don't have an estimated date.

Considering that there seem to be complaints back through December reporting similar symptoms and the response was an update adjusting how signal strength is reported, I'm not too optimistic.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Congobongo posted:

The phone is connected to Wifi almost the entire day, probably more than 90% of the day. Would disabling lte still have any effect in my case?

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

VerySolidSnake posted:

The phone is connected to Wifi almost the entire day, probably more than 90% of the day. Would disabling lte still have any effect in my case?

Ya, my battery lasts way longer by having the phone in cdma mode only.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

more friedman units posted:

This is exactly what my Nexus is doing. Verizon tech support says it's a software issue that Samsung is working on, but they don't have an estimated date.

Considering that there seem to be complaints back through December reporting similar symptoms and the response was an update adjusting how signal strength is reported, I'm not too optimistic.

That response was a quick fix and has been done for other phones. It's not a huge indicator of them not fixing problems.

VerySolidSnake posted:

Yes. If you aren't using 4G data I can't really see the point in having it on. It's a battery drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

That response was a quick fix and has been done for other phones. It's not a huge indicator of them not fixing problems.

Fair enough, but the problem being described isn't that 4G signal strength is weak, it's nonexistent. If you try to connect to use 4G LTE, the data connection works for a while and then goes dead. Grey bars, absolutely no connection at all. I'm in the middle of a major city which is definitely well-covered by the 4G network according to Verizon's own maps.

The workaround seems to be repeatedly rebooting the phone, switching to airplane mode and back, or setting the mobile network option to CDMA only.

• Locked thread