Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Phone posted:

All BPs are non-interference (go me!!!! hahhahahahahaha), but the belt is 10+ years old by now so changing it is definitely a good idea.

The frakenmotor in my garage disagrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

Phone posted:

But don't buy that car, it's too expensive.

Or maybe try negotiating the price down?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FatCow posted:

The frakenmotor in my garage disagrees.

Does it disagree on the non-interference part or it being a good idea to replace the belt part? :ohdear:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mobby_6kl posted:

Does it disagree on the non-interference part or it being a good idea to replace the belt part? :ohdear:

He got the head shaved down when he blew up the bottom part of his 2001 motor and then attached it to my 94 shortblock. He made it an interference motor.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame

Luffles posted:

I'm looking into buying a 2000ish MX-5 for $9,000ish with 60k~ miles. Is there anything I should look at in particular when going to buy this, or ask the dealer about? It's from a used dealership and I know basically next to nothing about cars and figured I would come for a little advice before I went exploring.

I've been slowly going through the thread and have been learning quite a bit.

I found a '99 manual with a bunch of aftermarket parts for $67xx out the door, everything looks good except no service history from a dealer, going to keep looking.

I am basically set on a Miata after reading more of this thread.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

He got the head shaved down when he blew up the bottom part of his 2001 motor and then attached it to my 94 shortblock. He made it an interference motor.

Oh crap I was planning on doing this with a 99 head. Does any shaving cause valve-TDC piston clearance issues?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If the piston is at TDC, the valves are going to be fully closed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

If the piston is at TDC, the valves are going to be fully closed.

Not if it's TDC on the exhaust/intake strokes instead of the compression/power strokes. There are plenty of cars that with typical flat-top pistons and aggressive-enough cam profiles where they would actually have valve-to-piston interference, even without a timing belt / chain failure. Thus, valve reliefs in pistons.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame

Luffles posted:

I found a '99 manual with a bunch of aftermarket parts for $67xx out the door, everything looks good except no service history from a dealer, going to keep looking.

I took some pictures of this car, 78000 miles, water pump replaced at 71000, the dealer bought it at auction, maintenance inspected yearly for the past three years at a local dealership, previously from Pennsylvania.

http://i.imgur.com/OTFVt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WYqVC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xJ5nH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gicil.jpg

Can anyone help me with accurate pricing/questions to ask? Or even identification of the aftermarket parts?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Luffles posted:

I took some pictures of this car, 78000 miles, water pump replaced at 71000, the dealer bought it at auction, maintenance inspected yearly for the past three years at a local dealership, previously from Pennsylvania.

Can anyone help me with accurate pricing/questions to ask? Or even identification of the aftermarket parts?

Any idea of its history whilst it was in Pennsylvania?

It looks like its had pretty extensive mods done to it, the roll bar, the strut brace, after market Air filter that I don't recognise, also it looks like it may have had a turbo or supercharger on it at one point, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, then again, it might just be differences in USA Vs UK models.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
So far the only luck I'm having finding a black car with ABS is MSM's. I'm not really opposed to it, but you all say it's a lot of work to make worthwhile. From looking around it seems like an intake and exhaust+downpipe will free up a bunch of power, and I doubt I'm going to want more than that for a while

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Luffles posted:

Allow me to help you further: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STlPK7M092Y

97. Stock. 135,000miles. (220,000km)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

So far the only luck I'm having finding a black car with ABS is MSM's. I'm not really opposed to it, but you all say it's a lot of work to make worthwhile. From looking around it seems like an intake and exhaust+downpipe will free up a bunch of power, and I doubt I'm going to want more than that for a while

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss, join the MS club.

DO IT.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss, join the MS club.

DO IT.

I did look at MS 6s the other day and that may be a backup plan :)

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
Hello. I'm saving up money to buy my first car, and I think I'm falling for the Miata. I found a $2,000 '94 model from a local private seller on Craigslist and I was going to get it, but then fell on some hard financial times and then decided that saving my residence was more important. I'm mostly just watching from a distance, but I'm deciding which car I'd like to get in the meantime. My budget will probably be $2,000 to $3,500 deciding on how much I decide to/can save up.

I just have a few general queries about the Miata line.

- Flip-up lights: are they silly or awesome? I hear that they can actually change the aerodynamics of the car and you can feel the shift while driving. I think they're ridiculous in an awesome way and I'd love to have a model with them. It changes the entire look in my eyes, and I think it's still kind of classy.

- Hard-top or not? What's your preference?

- I'm still learning to drive (have my permit, no license yet) and I'm learning stick. Would you say it's a difficult or decent car for a beginning driver?

- I heard that it can be difficult for people with long legs. I'm only 5'4", but I'm having some trouble adjusting the car seat in my boyfriend's STi to try and get my legs to fit and still be able to comfortably reach the clutch while sitting normally in the seat while also being high up enough to see out the windshield. -_- I'm still learning about cars, so I'm not sure how diverse of a range it would be for how adjustable car seats are to positioning of pedals and the driver..

Thanks. The other cars I was considering would be a 240SX, an early 90's Integra or a Civic (probably a hatchback, or if I save up an Si so I could get Mugen parts and make it look like a Type R >>; )

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Flip up headlights rule

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

shadowobsessed posted:

Hello. I'm saving up money to buy my first car, and I think I'm falling for the Miata. I found a $2,000 '94 model from a local private seller on Craigslist and I was going to get it, but then fell on some hard financial times and then decided that saving my residence was more important. I'm mostly just watching from a distance, but I'm deciding which car I'd like to get in the meantime. My budget will probably be $2,000 to $3,500 deciding on how much I decide to/can save up.

I just have a few general queries about the Miata line.

- Flip-up lights: are they silly or awesome? I hear that they can actually change the aerodynamics of the car and you can feel the shift while driving. I think they're ridiculous in an awesome way and I'd love to have a model with them. It changes the entire look in my eyes, and I think it's still kind of classy.

- Hard-top or not? What's your preference?

- I'm still learning to drive (have my permit, no license yet) and I'm learning stick. Would you say it's a difficult or decent car for a beginning driver?

- I heard that it can be difficult for people with long legs. I'm only 5'4", but I'm having some trouble adjusting the car seat in my boyfriend's STi to try and get my legs to fit and still be able to comfortably reach the clutch while sitting normally in the seat while also being high up enough to see out the windshield. -_- I'm still learning about cars, so I'm not sure how diverse of a range it would be for how adjustable car seats are to positioning of pedals and the driver..

Thanks. The other cars I was considering would be a 240SX, an early 90's Integra or a Civic (probably a hatchback, or if I save up an Si so I could get Mugen parts and make it look like a Type R >>; )

The flip-up lights are a love or hate thing for most people. I like them, personally.

I have a hardtop and love it. They're definitely not necessary though. It's enough of a pain to remove and reinstall that I don't bother taking it off on these really nice and warm winter days we've been getting, which kind of sucks. If you're trying to save money, don't bother with one. Even a mediocre hardtop will cost at least $700.

The Miata is the easiest manual I've ever driven. Please don't buy an automatic Miata.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

5'4" is a good height for NAs. My wife is a bit shorter and fits perfectly, better than I do at 5'10".

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Hardtops are a good standby incase of vandalism (if you have a place to store it) and are a good alternative in the winter.

They increase visibility and security, but they keep you from going topless. Which is way to much fun.

My hardtop only goes on when the weather gets cold enough where I won't be top down for a few months.

Also, popups affecting the stance of the car at speed? Really?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Luffles posted:

That shock tower brace is unnecessary weight. The intake and exhaust shielding could be somewhat beneficial, but if the PO set that up without using a temperature probe to check the under the hood temps while driving; it's more than likely not doing anything.

Red wasn't available in any form. Repaint or wrong year.

Was the timing belt also replaced at 71k? You have to pull the TB to get to the WP?

PS- Mods don't add value to the car, so a realistic price for the car if it checks out mechanically is closer to the 5-5.5k range.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is the rad support always black in an NB?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Phone posted:

That shock tower brace is unnecessary weight. The intake and exhaust shielding could be somewhat beneficial, but if the PO set that up without using a temperature probe to check the under the hood temps while driving; it's more than likely not doing anything.

Red wasn't available in any form. Repaint or wrong year.

Was the timing belt also replaced at 71k? You have to pull the TB to get to the WP?

PS- Mods don't add value to the car, so a realistic price for the car if it checks out mechanically is closer to the 5-5.5k range.

E:f;b
Something looked off with the black radiator support.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
Thanks for the tips! I definitely have my eyes on getting one now. I know that I don't actually want to drive with the top down, as I am not a fan of wind in my face (could be a hazard, would have to bother with securing hair back before driving anywhere) and it does seem like the material of a standard top might be more airy during the wintertime. Then again, I probably won't come across a cheap enough hardtop anyways so I could just leave the top on and wear warmer clothes in the cold, etc.

Ziploc posted:

Also, popups affecting the stance of the car at speed? Really?

I am unfortunately not sure of the verity of the claim, but it is something I read elsewhere on another car forum and I think someone made a video demonstrating it. It could just be a silly troll though, since the lights are of substantial height.

For reference, this is the ad I was looking at. It only had primer and no paint, but I would be okay with painting it at that price. Also I would've asked a few more questions in person to make sure there was nothing seriously deficient with it. Also I looked up the years with the flip-up lights, I think that this model is actually a '94 and not a '93 as they claimed? That's mostly just splitting hairs though.

However, living in California, I know that there are a lot of anti-car laws put in place, some rather arbitrary. I'm fairly certain that the blacked-out tail lights would be illegal, is that the same for other states?

Oh and I don't mean to talk forever, but I've also been interested in flat paint jobs (black and yellow or orange, especially). I haven't seen any on a Miata yet so I was wondering if there is any sort of image archive to get a feel for how it might look on one. I know that a relatively inexpensive way to get a flat black-looking car is to coat it in vinyl by hand, but I am assuming that a single dent would ruin the illusion and the whole look.

shadowobsessed fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 2, 2012

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

shadowobsessed posted:

Thanks for the tips! I definitely have my eyes on getting one now. I know that I don't actually want to drive with the top down, as I am not a fan of wind in my face (could be a hazard, would have to bother with securing hair back before driving anywhere) and it does seem like the material of a standard top might be more airy during the wintertime. Then again, I probably won't come across a cheap enough hardtop anyways so I could just leave the top on and wear warmer clothes in the cold, etc.

Leave a hat in the closable cubby between the seats, that's what I do.

shadowobsessed posted:

I am unfortunately not sure of the verity of the claim, but it is something I read elsewhere on another car forum and I think someone made a video demonstrating it. It could just be a silly troll though, since the lights are of substantial height.

It does has an affect, you can hear it on an empty freeway with the windows down. It creates a bit more wind noise with the lights up. That's it, it doesn't affect the stance, it doesn't make the car unstable.

shadowobsessed posted:

For reference, this is the ad I was looking at. It only had primer and no paint, but I would be okay with painting it at that price. Also I would've asked a few more questions in person to make sure there was nothing seriously deficient with it. Also I looked up the years with the flip-up lights, I think that this model is actually a '94 and not a '93 as they claimed? That's mostly just splitting hairs though.

That car has been messed around with. Unnecessary hood pins, comedy gas cap, blacked out front and rear indicators... Perhaps you can do something with it, or perhaps you can find something better. I dunno if that's a good price for your area or not :)

shadowobsessed posted:

However, living in California, I know that there are a lot of anti-car laws put in place, some rather arbitrary. I'm fairly certain that the blacked-out tail lights would be illegal, is that the same for other states?

Oh and I don't mean to talk forever, but I've also been interested in flat paint jobs (black and yellow or orange, especially). I haven't seen any on a Miata yet so I was wondering if there is any sort of image archive to get a feel for how it might look on one. I know that a relatively inexpensive way to get a flat black-looking car is to coat it in vinyl by hand, but I am assuming that a single dent would ruin the illusion and the whole look.

A lot of the early ones had non-metallic paint. Mine's plain (it's shiny, just not metallic) blue from the factory.

The cheap way to get a flat paintjob is to do it with a roller!

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 3, 2012

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Luffles posted:

Those are all cheap eBay poo poo parts + obvious repaint. Run away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

I did look at MS 6s the other day and that may be a backup plan :)

I'm in love with this plan!

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

destructo posted:

Those are all cheap eBay poo poo parts + obvious repaint. Run away.

An ebay intake and heatshield is no reason to completely abandon the car. Worth a carfax to check out why it was repainted, if the car is cheap enough.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 3, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'm in love with this plan!

Make it a MS3 instead :v:

I just want the best of both worlds. The lightness of the Miata, the retarded power (and power delivery) of the MS3/MS6.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ah yes, $7k for a Miata that has a bunch of cheap eBay poo poo on it plus a repaint for some odd reason. I mean, just because you can find NBs all day for $6k or under with maintenance and stock parts doesn't mean that you should disregard this fine specimen.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

shadowobsessed posted:

Also I looked up the years with the flip-up lights, I think that this model is actually a '94 and not a '93 as they claimed? That's mostly just splitting hairs though.

90-97 all had flip up lights. There are differences between the 90-93 (NA6) and 94-97 (NA8), mostly limited to the engine, differential, and bracing.

That car looks like a piece of crap though. Probably 1-1.5k in my area, but it would also have rust all over from the primer. Keep looking.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
It's not a cheap ebay intake anyway, it looks like a Monsterflow intake which are CARB legal and pretty pricey

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/17-1001.html?id=ho6zeR2n

Other than the repaint I have no idea why everyone's bagging on this car so hard.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

aventari posted:

It's not a cheap ebay intake anyway, it looks like a Monsterflow intake which are CARB legal and pretty pricey

Other than the repaint I have no idea why everyone's bagging on this car so hard.
That's a poo poo intake (they're all terrible except the Randall cowl).

Edit: Freedom Design STB. This was owned by a miata.net poster.

destructo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 4, 2012

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

aventari posted:

The repaint is enough. The eBay accessories are the crowning glory.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

destructo posted:

Edit: Freedom Design STB. This was owned by a miata.net poster.

Does this mean that it is either brushed aluminum or faux woodgrain?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

destructo posted:

Whats so bad about the elbow intake Racing Beat makes?

Phone posted:

Ah yes, $7k for a Miata that has a bunch of cheap eBay poo poo on it plus a repaint for some odd reason. I mean, just because you can find NBs all day for $6k or under with maintenance and stock parts doesn't mean that you should disregard this fine specimen.

Yeah $7k probably not, but if it was super low miles or under $4k I don't think I'd really give a poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I couldn't get started yesterday morning, it'd just crank slower and slower, with no result. Before I pull the battery, does the stock NB CD/radio have a code or a PIN that could get reset, preventing it from being used? None of the papers I got with the car mention it, but the Phillips unit in my Omega had that and I'd prefer to avoid any unnecessary complications.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Didn't have any problems with my 2002 doing a straight in/out swap. Should be good to go :)

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

First Time Caller posted:

Whats so bad about the elbow intake Racing Beat makes?
Why bother when the Randall Cowl is cheaper and actually makes power? Better off putting the money towards something else.

Phone posted:

Does this mean that it is either brushed aluminum or faux woodgrain?
Always chrome.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

mobby_6kl posted:

So I couldn't get started yesterday morning, it'd just crank slower and slower, with no result. Before I pull the battery, does the stock NB CD/radio have a code or a PIN that could get reset, preventing it from being used? None of the papers I got with the car mention it, but the Phillips unit in my Omega had that and I'd prefer to avoid any unnecessary complications.

If the anti theft is flashing, it does.

Check your manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

destructo posted:

Why bother when the Randall Cowl is cheaper and actually makes power? Better off putting the money towards something else.

http://www.racingbeat.com/manuals/56501.pdf

It "actually makes power." and it's like $30 cheaper than a '99 cowl intake from FM.