Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

brian posted:

I just spent far too long doing that but the name made me laugh so I guess that's what it's called from now on!

Is it wrong that I feel like a proud parent? :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

cuatro posted:

That looks awesome. Are you planning on releasing the source any time? I'd love to see how you've handled pathfinding.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

monsterland fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 4, 2012

cuatro
Sep 16, 2004

Ephphatha posted:

That looks awesome. Are you planning on releasing the source any time? I'd love to see how you've handled pathfinding.

thanks! not sure about releasing the source yet. i will probably decide one way or the other once i finish the crafting and combat systems.

the pathfinding is just A* with a couple of modifications. big one is probably before starting the A* i do a flood fill of the target area to make sure the target is not completely walled off, if it gets to a certain size i am assuming there is a path to the target (this i still need to work on because its not a good solution). if i dont do some sort of check like this since the world is infinite the A* will never run out of open spaces to check so it will start to suck up the memory since it never completes unless it gets cancelled.

while pathfinding is going on the object will move 1 square at a time towards the target to give the illusion of being responsive then when the path is complete it signals the object and it figures out the best path from where it currently is to the closest position on the path returned by the pathfinder. usually its only 1 block or less away so when i was testing i would delay the pathfinding by 20 seconds to make sure it could find the path to the completed path properly.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

cuatro posted:

the pathfinding is just A* with a couple of modifications. big one is probably before starting the A* i do a flood fill of the target area to make sure the target is not completely walled off, if it gets to a certain size i am assuming there is a path to the target (this i still need to work on because its not a good solution). if i dont do some sort of check like this since the world is infinite the A* will never run out of open spaces to check so it will start to suck up the memory since it never completes unless it gets cancelled.

Is it even worth doing the walled-off check before running pathfinding? Your pathfinding algorithm itself should determine if it can't reach the destination, and it's possible for the destination to be unreachable even if the character isn't walled-off. I would also think that it would be uncommon for a character to be totally walled-off, so in most cases it seems like it would be a waste.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
It's a good idea to put some sort of limit on the A* saying that if you pass some certain threshold as far as distance traveled so far, just toss it off the stack as a not optimal solution. This will help you in roguelikes especially since you don't want to shut a door and have a mob travel 98% of the map just to get to you.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

In similar infinite-world games I've written, I'll keep the world stored as a grid of connected boards, and any pathfinding searches will be limited to only the actor's current board as well as adjacent boards.

For dumber AI's (zombies, animals, etc.), you can actually just run a quick raytrace out to their visible range, and only run your pathfinding search within those cells.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SlightlyMadman posted:

For dumber AI's (zombies, animals, etc.), you can actually just run a quick raytrace out to their visible range, and only run your pathfinding search within those cells.

Oh man, that's really clever.

cuatro
Sep 16, 2004

Gordon Cole posted:

Is it even worth doing the walled-off check before running pathfinding? Your pathfinding algorithm itself should determine if it can't reach the destination, and it's possible for the destination to be unreachable even if the character isn't walled-off. I would also think that it would be uncommon for a character to be totally walled-off, so in most cases it seems like it would be a waste.

SlightlyMadman posted:

In similar infinite-world games I've written, I'll keep the world stored as a grid of connected boards, and any pathfinding searches will be limited to only the actor's current board as well as adjacent boards.

yea i still have some more plans for my pathfinding, but that will come after i get all the building systems in place.

right now i added the walled off check because its possible to build a box with walls and nothing can enter or exit it which can be a problem because in the demo the objects are just picking a random location to try to move to when set to wander (this wont be as much of an issue when the objects actually have a purpose to go somewhere). but what happens is the a* search will continue expanding outwards from the target area because it doesn't have a bounded set of open cells to look at. if terrain doesn't exist it will generate it and those cells will be added to the open list and so on.

i have messed around with making the bounding box current section + adjacent sections and that works well unless you get into a situation where someone wants to make a great wall of china spanning multiple sections which is technically possible, so its more of just a simple check to make sure pathing doesn't get out of control. i will revisit when i have the building stuff fully figured out.

cuatro fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 4, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

poemdexter posted:

Oh man, that's really clever.

It also has the nice side effect that it makes stealth/cover gameplay work.

I suspect the better gaming AI systems actually do something like that, with occasional hilarious side effects like the fact that you can make NPCs oblivious to various things in skyrim by putting a bucket on their head, which I'm fairly certain was not on purpose (since the correct behavior would be to complain or become agro, and remove the bucket, or at least run around hilariously banging into walls for comedy relief)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
This new article on AI GameDev contains some interesting ideas on optimizing A* for grid-based systems:

http://aigamedev.com/open/tutorial/symmetry-in-pathfinding/

Not sure how immediately applicable they are to your lazily-generated terrain system, cuatro, but they could spark some good hybrid solutions.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ynohtna posted:

This new article on AI GameDev contains some interesting ideas on optimizing A* for grid-based systems:

Not sure how immediately applicable they are to your lazily-generated terrain system, cuatro, but they could spark some good hybrid solutions.

Thats a very elegant solution actually. Would love to see some source code. I wonder if anyones done a python implementation

e: My flatmate (the mathematician) got really excited when I asked him what he knew about "symetry" and then he looked at it and went. "Oh that sort of symetry. boring". I have no idea what he means by it. He's a "group theory" dude.

cuatro
Sep 16, 2004

ynohtna posted:

thats a great article. ive read about JPS before, the problem with it or RSR to my game is it requires a uniform cost grid. in my game since the terrain can slow you down (walking through trees is slower than walking through grass, walking through shallow water is slower than grass), these optimizations wouldn't work because you could skip over the cost changes which could then produce a non optimal path to the goal.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

cuatro posted:

thats a great article. ive read about JPS before, the problem with it or RSR to my game is it requires a uniform cost grid. in my game since the terrain can slow you down (walking through trees is slower than walking through grass, walking through shallow water is slower than grass), these optimizations wouldn't work because you could skip over the cost changes which could then produce a non optimal path to the goal.

The author uses uniform cost grids for simplicity in the article, but is that really a requirement for this algorithm? The core gimmick involves quickly eliminating neighbors that could be reached quicker from the parent node and it should be possible to make that determination even in the case of a graph with variable edge weights.

cuatro
Sep 16, 2004

PDP-1 posted:

The author uses uniform cost grids for simplicity in the article, but is that really a requirement for this algorithm? The core gimmick involves quickly eliminating neighbors that could be reached quicker from the parent node and it should be possible to make that determination even in the case of a graph with variable edge weights.

true. im going to whip something real quick to see if i can get this working properly.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

duck monster posted:

e: My flatmate (the mathematician) got really excited when I asked him what he knew about "symetry" and then he looked at it and went. "Oh that sort of symetry. boring". I have no idea what he means by it. He's a "group theory" dude.

:science: Symmetry groups!

wil
Mar 2, 2009

Over the weekend, I wrote a bookmarklet that allows you to quickly change the dimensions of a webpage to test responsive design.

See more / install here http://codebomber.com/jquery/resizer/
Source here: https://github.com/egdelwonk/resizer

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

wil posted:

Over the weekend, I wrote a bookmarklet that allows you to quickly change the dimensions of a webpage to test responsive design.

Hey this is cool and a lot easier/faster than using other plugins. Nice :)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

That's pretty neat, but may I suggest adding a "X" button to make it go away when you are done?

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

knowin' nothin' in life but to be legit

peepsalot posted:

That's pretty neat, but may I suggest adding a "X" button to make it go away when you are done?

Fork it, bro

wil
Mar 2, 2009

peepsalot posted:

Sure! I'll add that in tonight.

cuatro
Sep 16, 2004

cuatro posted:

true. im going to whip something real quick to see if i can get this working properly.

got a basic A* + JPS working. I need to change it slightly to look for jump points when there is a change in terrain cost, but that should be pretty easy. to see the difference in the # of nodes being put on the open list is pretty crazy.

The Blue is the completed path and the orange/red are the Nodes that were put on the open list.

Technically sometimes there are more nodes looked at using JPS since it recursively moves through them looking for a jump point, but less work is done overall since the open list stays much smaller.

still got some bugs to fix, but overall it seems to be working out pretty good.

Basic A*

A* + JPS

cuatro fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 8, 2012

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!

wil posted:

I am going to start using this at least once a day. Thank you!

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I added a refraction stack and precedence system to my ray tracer. It implements a subset of constructive solid geometry to figure out the interfaces between refractive volumes at run time, rather than needing to tediously model them. This allows for things like glasses filled with liquid to be rendered correctly.

The scene is also my first stab at 3d modelling.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Holy poo poo, people have said this with other renders but this is the first one that's actually had me wonder if I accidentally clicked on some sort of Watch & Weight "Post pictures of your favorite glassware" thread.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

SlightlyMadman posted:

Holy poo poo, people have said this with other renders but this is the first one that's actually had me wonder if I accidentally clicked on some sort of Watch & Weight "Post pictures of your favorite glassware" thread.

The light in the shadow of the glass on the right is particularly good.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

steckles posted:

I added a refraction stack and precedence system to my ray tracer. It implements a subset of constructive solid geometry to figure out the interfaces between refractive volumes at run time, rather than needing to tediously model them. This allows for things like glasses filled with liquid to be rendered correctly.

Goddamn that's nice looking. If you start selling a Blender version of this, I'd be interested, dependent on price/features/usability.

I've been looking for a really nice Blender renderer, but in general they don't use the built-in materials very well, so you're stuck with that renderer forever once you've built a big scene with it. Something that only required its own material properties when there wasn't an already-existing property that covered the setting, such as base color (without making a branch of the existing Blender material) would be incredible.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

steckles posted:

Amazing, just as the previous images you posted from your raytracer.
Do you happen to have a blog where you write about all these raytracing madness?

wil
Mar 2, 2009

thepedestrian posted:

I am going to start using this at least once a day. Thank you!

By request from a few other people, I've packed it up as a chrome extension. Checkout the original link to download :)

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

wil posted:

This is really cool. Going to get your Chrome extension tonight.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I posted a week or two ago about my c64 sprite editor. I've been doing some more c64 development in the evening, and look at this:

It's a 20x12 map (surrounded by debug information) showing an implementation of the A* algorithm. It's not particularly speedy, taking about 1 second to calculate the path, but since it is iterative I can probably get away with using it in a game if I amortize the cost over a whole bunch of frames. Whee!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Sagacity: That's pretty rad. In that kind of situation I'd be tempted to go with a simple flood-fill algorithm over A* because A* normally involves maintaining more complex data structures. Care to go into some detail about your implementation?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

Sagacity: That's pretty rad. In that kind of situation I'd be tempted to go with a simple flood-fill algorithm over A* because A* normally involves maintaining more complex data structures. Care to go into some detail about your implementation?

But flood-fill would probably take even more time. The implementation is fairly straightforward, I basically implemented the "Summary of the A* Method" from here. I have 5 things that I need to store per tile: G (the number of steps from the start), cost (G + H), the open list, the closed list and the tile's parent. Because my map is 20 * 12 this takes 240 bytes per list, so it's 1200 bytes in total, which is okay.

Most of the time goes into adding and removing things from the open list. Removing a tile means shifting all subsequent tiles back, which takes a bit of time. So instead of adding tiles to the list, I'm thinking about doing something like openList[tileOffset] = true;

That would mean it would take longer to find the lowest cost 'open list' tile though, because traversing would increase in complexity. Oh well. :)

Edit: Yep, the "openList[tileOffset] = true" approach works quite well. It allows me to combine open and closed lists by just saying that "list[offset] = 1" means it's on the open list, and "2" means it's on the closed list. So it saves me 240 bytes as well. Now if only I could avoid the expensive step of finding the lowest cost somehow...

Grab the demo here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/512956/astar.prg
Press firebutton in joystick in port 2 to advance through a few routes.

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 10, 2012

cuatro
Sep 16, 2004

Sagacity posted:

Now if only I could avoid the expensive step of finding the lowest cost somehow...

if your using C++ use a heap. thats what I am using in my A* implementation posted earlier.

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/algorithm/make_heap/

basically when you add something to the open list you call push_heap and to remove the lowest cost call pop_heap. keeps that operation nice and quick when getting the next node to expand.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

cuatro posted:

if your using C++ use a heap
Thanks, but I'm using 6502 assembler :science:

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

wil posted:

By request from a few other people, I've packed it up as a chrome extension. Checkout the original link to download :)

This is really, really minor but if you use this on a site with SSL it makes Chrome very angry.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
A screenshot utility I wrote quite awhile ago that I'm in the midst of cleaning up and productizing.

(Screenshot of the application... taken with the application... Inception joke, anyone?)

Placement on the desktop for some reference:

The goal is a simple, compact interface that creates documentation quality screenshots that look like this:

...instead of this (which is all too typical on blogs and forums these days):

I've got quite a few features already written, mostly what's left is polish and to move some hardcoded things into the Options window.

Here's a video of me demonstrating how you'd use the 1-click upload feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA6JNs5f9Iw

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I have been playing with processing quite a bit of late and have to say I am really enjoying it

https://vimeo.com/36548291

mudlord
Feb 11, 2012

Since I already done a NES emulator for a coding contest (the emulator is less than 64kb), figured I move onto GB/GBC, and eventually GBA. So I started coding this. This is written according to a completely different methodology, so C++ is heavily used, as well as modern APIs like WTL for the GUI, Direct2D for video, Xaudio2 for sound and Xinput for input support. The renderer also supports D3D8, as well as Direct3D9. Support for GDI, DirectDraw and OpenGL is also planned, for completeness.

Emulation wise, there is a few CPU core issues to fix, like proper instruction behaviour and core timing. Bandlimited audio synthesis for sound emulation also would be nice. I am focusing it for gamers, so things like disassemblers, and tile viewers are omitted. However things like GPU based graphics filters are planned, and I am considering audio DSP effects like reverb, and echo too.

I have been working on some other things, like a PE32/possibly x64 executable file packer (think UPX with plugins/DRM), as well as working with kode54 on replacement MIDI synthesis drivers for Windows 7 and Vista (x64 included.)

mudlord fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Factor Mystic posted:

screenshots

Doesn't ctrl alt print screen do the same thing?

Oh the screenshot to imgur thing is amazing.