Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Kuno posted:

Hey it is pretty cool this thread popped back up.

I'm like two trophies from platting this game but I'm pretty dang frustrated at the minute. I've been doing the kill everything that moves thing trophy and the trophy for killing Marburg in Rome.

I can't get the drat thing to trigger though, according to the guide I was using you only have to get him to -6 and he'll stay and fight. Well, I have -6 and he still keeps running off :(

What the gently caress else do I need to do, not that I think I even can at this point, I don't think I have any saves that would help and I've already gone through the game 5 times in fairly rapid succession. It is a great game but I dunno if I can do another run.

Be as suave as possible throughout the game (get the suave perk in the Greybox, be suave in all conversations with him), and make sure you get all his dossiers. Your rep with him isn't actually all that big of a factor, and you can actually gain a few points (i.e. picking the bombs over Madison and keeping a low profile your first few missions in Rome) and still be able to pull it off. That's really it, but from the sound of things you'll have to start a new game. But trust me, it's totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
BOO loving HOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jYR9g85Xw

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Urgh, looks like I'm missing one dossier on him I only have 83% on him. I guess I must have missed it somewhere, I suppose that's what I get for rushing through this play-through. Don't think I got the suave perk in the greybox either.

Do you guys think I'll still be able to get the Judge Jury and Executioner (or whatever it's actually called) trophy?

In all my other games I've turned him so I'm not really sure what the order of events is if he stays an enemy, Do you fight him without it replacing any of the other endgame dudes?

I might replay the mission just to make sure I didn't miss the one in the cupboard just before you fight him but I'm sure I got that. Trying to work out if it's worthwhile to finish the rest of this play-through or just abandon ship.

E:Also that youtube owns, game owns.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Kuno posted:

Urgh, looks like I'm missing one dossier on him I only have 83% on him. I guess I must have missed it somewhere, I suppose that's what I get for rushing through this play-through. Don't think I got the suave perk in the greybox either.

Do you guys think I'll still be able to get the Judge Jury and Executioner (or whatever it's actually called) trophy?

In all my other games I've turned him so I'm not really sure what the order of events is if he stays an enemy, Do you fight him without it replacing any of the other endgame dudes?

I might replay the mission just to make sure I didn't miss the one in the cupboard just before you fight him but I'm sure I got that. Trying to work out if it's worthwhile to finish the rest of this play-through or just abandon ship.

E:Also that youtube owns, game owns.

You get another opportunity to kill him in the Greybox if you don't manage it in Rome. To be honest, I'm not sure if he counts towards that trophy. I thought it was more for executing everyone you can in conversations. I did kill everyone I could to be sure.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I'm pretty sure in my executioner playthrough, I didn't kill Marburg; it only goes for people with an "EXECUTE" dialogue option. This means you can't shoot Brayko too early, though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure in my executioner playthrough, I didn't kill Marburg; it only goes for people with an "EXECUTE" dialogue option. This means you can't shoot Brayko too early, though.

I can barely stand the monster of a character that I played that actually did do that to Brayko. Even my by-the-book pacifist guy who thought Brayko was dirt would've been appalled.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
The executioner achievement is somewhat difficult to get. It's not enough to just execute anyone you're given the option to in a playthrough, you have to go out of your way to kill almost all of the main characters in the game, which takes some planning. I made a rough guide awhile back with tips on how to get it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423015&pagenumber=38&perpage=40#post393807315

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

ChuckDHead posted:

I picked up a cheap copy of this (who am I kidding, there are no expensive or RRP copies of this anywhere) as a Christmas gift for a friend. I also stapled a page of the most important notes, caveats and advice from this thread into the back of the manual, since there are certain things you have to know to enjoy it properly. I was actually sort of disappointed when the first time I've ever wanted to use the blank or lined "notes" page in a game manual, there wasn't one...

This Christmas, I gave the gift of Steven Heck.

I've seen it selling for $40(!!) at FYE.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
My first playthrough was a pistol/stealth run and it was alright. This time I'm doing assault rifle + shotgun and holy poo poo is it fun. You don't even set off alarms if you kill everyone fast enough.

I always found the endings to be bleh in this game. But the dialogue and how the smallest thing can change it loving blows my mind every time. This time I'm sparing every character I can (including Shaheed, whom I never thought I could spare) just to see who shows up at the end.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Airborne Viking posted:

I always found the endings to be bleh in this game.

Well gently caress you too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-NRkXNa5o4

:colbert:

(spoilers, seriously, SPOILERS)

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I played this game all the way through a while ago, doing a pistol/martial arts/stealth run, (which is kind of the standard, eh?) and after going through Deus Ex: HR I really want to try this game out again and see how all the choices I make will affect me later in the game. Apart from the 'PC fixes' in the OP, is there anything else I can do to breathe some new life into this game?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Playing with recruit or veteran mode on will change the beginning slightly. Veteran mode is also fun when you unlock it because it makes Thorton overpowered as gently caress.

You can also try to do a no-stealth run or stuff like killing/arresting as many characters a possible. Playing without using your pistol outside of the tutorial is also fun. I don't care what anyone else says, I had fun using all of the other combat skills :colbert: except SMGs, maybe

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The game barely needs new life breathed into it. The choices you make change things more than almost any other game I've ever played (certainly more than Deus Ex 3). Every run through I do is just pistols + stealth because that lets me just run around ghost punching people in the throat and chain shotting bosses 8 times in the face. The real fun is having different conversations than you did the last time you played. AP went from "good" to "great" to "awesome" when I played it the first time, the second time, and the third time. There's a ton of new stuff you'll see as you go through it again (if you make different choices of course).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Right, so I'm another guy who bought the game thanks to this thread and loves it to bits. So good job on that.

By now I've already finished played through the game twice, first as a rather erratic (got the Hard to Read perk without even trying) jack-of-all-trades Thorton, then a pretty naive professional recruit Thorton. The second playthrough ended up a bit samey since I couldn't bring myself to be mean towards Mina, Scarlet or Sis/Albatross, but I saw enough differences to know you people aren't exaggerating. Actually managed to (final mission spoilers) turn Parker onto my side in the end, which kinda surprised me.

I did already start a veteran playthrough as well, but didn't proceed past the Greybox yet since I kept reloading to experiment on how to most effectively piss everyone off. Going for the aggressive/suave shotgun rear end in a top hat approach this time over, and gently caress stealth.

And a thing I was wondering: How feasible would it be to keep jumping between the mission hubs instead of finishing them one at a time? As in, doing one mission in one place, then two in another city etc, instead of first going to f.e. Taipei, doing everything there, then going to Rome and do everything there etc.
I'm thinking about first going to see Heck just because hey, it's Heck, and then gently caress off someplace else. Ya know, gather all the cool kids around me before starting poo poo in earnest.

Also, IMDb's cast list for this game has a character called Uli Booi. However, I've never encountered this person and she's not in the AP Wiki. Wonder if that's just IMDb being retarded or another case of This loving Game.
I kinda hope she exists, because supposedly she's voiced by Grey DeLisle and she has probably the sexiest voice ever. When she's not doing squeaky cartoon voices, that is.

embitca
May 4, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The game barely needs new life breathed into it. The choices you make change things more than almost any other game I've ever played (certainly more than Deus Ex 3). Every run through I do is just pistols + stealth because that lets me just run around ghost punching people in the throat and chain shotting bosses 8 times in the face. The real fun is having different conversations than you did the last time you played. AP went from "good" to "great" to "awesome" when I played it the first time, the second time, and the third time. There's a ton of new stuff you'll see as you go through it again (if you make different choices of course).

Yep, this is basically how I feel about it too. The pistol is so awesomely overpowered that I find it less enjoyable to play with the other guns so I don't bother anymore. Pistols, stealth and martial arts is the way I go and I'm mostly intent on exploring every conversational option.

Nordick posted:

And a thing I was wondering: How feasible would it be to keep jumping between the mission hubs instead of finishing them one at a time? As in, doing one mission in one place, then two in another city etc, instead of first going to f.e. Taipei, doing everything there, then going to Rome and do everything there etc.
I'm thinking about first going to see Heck just because hey, it's Heck, and then gently caress off someplace else. Ya know, gather all the cool kids around me before starting poo poo in earnest.

This is very feasible. I usually hit every hub at least once before getting involved in any of the boss fights.

embitca fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 16, 2012

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Nordick posted:

Also, IMDb's cast list for this game has a character called Uli Booi. However, I've never encountered this person and she's not in the AP Wiki. Wonder if that's just IMDb being retarded or another case of This loving Game.
I kinda hope she exists, because supposedly she's voiced by Grey DeLisle and she has probably the sexiest voice ever. When she's not doing squeaky cartoon voices, that is.
If I remember correctly, this character was supposed to be in the game originally but ended up getting the axe for whatever reason characters in video games end up getting the axe.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

MMAgCh posted:

If I remember correctly, this character was supposed to be in the game originally but ended up getting the axe for whatever reason characters in video games end up getting the axe.

In this case, it was probably because she had an embarrassing outfit and an anime cat backpack.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
In contrast to... well, GAY CHEETAH JACKETS!

Seriously though, would be fun to know what her angle would be. Wasn't it also mentioned somewhere that she could be found in Paris or did I dream that up?

In the scenes where you can see a bunch of characters on screens in the game (like when Yance has the dossier tutorial bit), you can see some (I assume) cut characters on the screens. As well as characters that you haven't met, and who Mike wouldn't know who they are at that point in the game.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
I've played this game three times in the last week. It owns, despite it being completely engineered for only one build (pistols and stealth). I couldn't beat any of the bosses with other weapons even on easy.

I have only 3 trophies left to go to platinum this. Now that I don't have to worry about silly stuff like alienating Heck or romancing every girl, I'm going to get everyone in the game pissed at me. Only Heck will be my buddy, and together we can gun on freight trains till the end of time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

I've played this game three times in the last week. It owns, despite it being completely engineered for only one build (pistols and stealth). I couldn't beat any of the bosses with other weapons even on easy.

Assault rifles work fine. Really, they are better than pistols in the in the first couple Saudi missions before you've leveled up, because an assault rifle can kill a guy in a couple shots even without using time-stop powers. You know that bit near the end where you are fighting a helicopter? Pistols couldn't do poo poo, and rockets were a pain in the rear end, but an assault rifle takes care of it just fine. You can also snipe at extremely long range right from the beginning, while the pistol won't give you an aiming reticule to get the necessary head shot if you are more than 20 feet away at the beginning. My first run was assault rifles, my second run I tried to do pistols and they were complete poo poo so I respecced out of them at the end of the Saudi missions, on my veteran run I stuck with the pistol long enough to find out why everyone raves about them. The problem wasn't the pistols, it was that I had to adjust my play style.

I didn't try shotguns or SMGs, but gadgets can be surprisingly lethal. If you put some points into gadgets and chose armor with lots of extra space, you can take out many of the bosses with nothing but grenades. Run around placing grenades on the walls and whatnot, you won't trigger your own grenades but the guy chasing you will. They are useless against the couple bosses that just sit in a tower though.

Pistols are great for missions where you don't want to kill anyone. Even doing a mostly AR run I used the pistol with tranq rounds in some of the Taipai missions. You might be able to do the same thing with a hell of a lot of stun grenades, but it would be more difficult. I didn't try, because I'm terrible at aiming grenades.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
SMGs and Shotguns are both good against bosses, were you trying to kill them with no points invested or something

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Starting a new playthrough as a recruit - do I still get enough points on Recruit to go for some kind of stealth/shotgun/martial arts Thorton whirlwind of death, or should I keep things simple until I unlock Veteran?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Starting a new playthrough as a recruit - do I still get enough points on Recruit to go for some kind of stealth/shotgun/martial arts Thorton whirlwind of death, or should I keep things simple until I unlock Veteran?

You generally get enough points to do what you want but it's really strained at the beginning, naturally. I did stealth/martial/technical aptitude on my recruit run and had enough points to invest in pistols to tide me over but I wasn't nearly as good as a normal run. It's doable, for sure - you just need to invest smartly.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
It'll be tough maxing all three of them, but leaving stealth at 5 (awareness) until you've maxed the other two skills is perfectly adequate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just really got into this game this week, just finished Saudi Arabia (I guess I'm done posting about this game in the general Xbox Games thread!) and hooooly poo poo, this game officially 'has' me. I remember being really excited for it before it came out, and then hearing that it was 'horrible' from pretty much everywhere. The copy I have is actually second-hand from a friend who didn't like it (he didn't beat the first level, though).

Can't wait to finish my first run-through and then gloat to him that he gave me this game for free.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just really got into this game this week, just finished Saudi Arabia (I guess I'm done posting about this game in the general Xbox Games thread!) and hooooly poo poo, this game officially 'has' me. I remember being really excited for it before it came out, and then hearing that it was 'horrible' from pretty much everywhere. The copy I have is actually second-hand from a friend who didn't like it (he didn't beat the first level, though).

Can't wait to finish my first run-through and then gloat to him that he gave me this game for free.

First run is fun. Second run is awesome. Third run is positively epic.

Just make sure to different things on each run, even if it's just the dialogue stuff. Stealth + pistols is hard to give up, but once you get used to the game and the levels, every build is doable and fun. Except SMG, gently caress those. (Never really committed to a full SMG run, though, so I might be wrong)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Every weapon can work fine. I preferred SMGs to shotguns.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

While I do plan on having different runs (this one, I'm romancing no one, next time, I'm going to be a cold-blooded killer who gets laid all the time), I can't help but dress Mike up with that yellow-green bandana/scarf thing, and give him a crazy beard and aviators. That's my dude, always will be.

Though I suppose I could make him look more like Seth McFarlane and do a sarcastic/joking/suave run while not killing anyone.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The fix in the op for the mouse stuttering poo poo doesn't work for me :( How did this get out the door like that? It happens in the first goddamn room of the game and then pretty much nonstop from there.

EDIT: Just ordered a 360 controller adaptor because apparently using a controller eliminates all the stuttering.

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 21, 2012

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

How did this get out the door like that?

Hurray for not being allowed to patch something because of low metacritic scores!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hurray for not being allowed to patch something because of low metacritic scores!

Really? Thats insane.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

Really? Thats insane.

Well it's kind of a conflation of two things - Sega didn't support the game well after launch, and Sega announced they wouldn't be making a sequel due to low metacritic scores.

I don't think it's insane to suggest the two are related.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well it's kind of a conflation of two things - Sega didn't support the game well after launch, and Sega announced they wouldn't be making a sequel due to low metacritic scores.

I don't think it's insane to suggest the two are related.

Sega ruins everything these days.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

While I do plan on having different runs (this one, I'm romancing no one, next time, I'm going to be a cold-blooded killer who gets laid all the time), I can't help but dress Mike up with that yellow-green bandana/scarf thing, and give him a crazy beard and aviators. That's my dude, always will be.

Though I suppose I could make him look more like Seth McFarlane and do a sarcastic/joking/suave run while not killing anyone.

I always feel super lame suggesting this, but I've always had a blast coming up with a concept for Mike for each playthrough and then sticking to that; nerdy constant fuckup Recruit Thorton dresses himself like he thinks a cool person would dress, so wrap shades, fake tan, soul patch, and bulky armor. Play it with concepts in mind and it ends up much easier to try things you normally wouldn't. WWMTD?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ That's actually pretty fun and I do the same thing.

AlmightyBob posted:

Really? Thats insane.

IIRC, Sega pushed back the release by six months for "further testing and marketing" while simultaneously cutting the testing and marketing budget to $5 and a pack of gum, funded one patch after it was released, then said they would not fund further patches or a sequel due to low metacritic scores.

Sega: openly hateful towards PC gaming since wheneverthefuck.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

I always feel super lame suggesting this, but I've always had a blast coming up with a concept for Mike for each playthrough and then sticking to that; nerdy constant fuckup Recruit Thorton dresses himself like he thinks a cool person would dress, so wrap shades, fake tan, soul patch, and bulky armor. Play it with concepts in mind and it ends up much easier to try things you normally wouldn't. WWMTD?

Yeah I do this too, and this is the only game I've ever done that in. Never understood the thinking process of people who try to role play their RPG characters obsessively or whatever but Alpha Protocol makes it really easy and its just more fun that way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Great Lakes Log posted:

Yeah I do this too, and this is the only game I've ever done that in. Never understood the thinking process of people who try to role play their RPG characters obsessively or whatever but Alpha Protocol makes it really easy and its just more fun that way.

I also do this with FONV. Must be an Obsidian thing?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I also do this with FONV. Must be an Obsidian well written RPG thing?

The thing is that a lot of games don't really allow it - it takes a well constructed game made with it in mind, like the two mentioned, KOTOR2, Torment, Fallout 2, Bloodlines etc.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Are the extra points you get for veteran a good fit for a Hard playthrough? Or is Hard annoying no matter what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
I finished my "everyone dies" playthrough. Shotguns ended up being so good maxed out that I just used it for everything. Even the Rome Boss, who treated my SMG guy like I was farting on him just croaked over and died. Room sweep and crowd control makes a huge difference. The game actually only took like 6 hours because I just said gently caress it to stealth and ran around shooting and stomping.

Killing everyone is kind of tricky. Scarlet in particular. Apparently, it's not just enough to not give her your intel, you also have to not visit her in the Greybox AND spare Leland once. That's some King's Quest 5 "we need to sell some game guides" poo poo right there

• Locked thread