Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Oh god. Learn from my stupid mistake, RPG thread. I'm playing Etrian Odyssey 3 and I just beat the boss of B8, Ketos, by the skin of my teeth after half an hour. The only two people left alive at the end were my Arbalist and Zodiac. I had forgotten to buy a return thread. They did not make it to the teleporter on B5.

:negative:

You'll be even more mad when you realize you could have just walked forward a few squares and gotten back to town that way.

(PS you ought to have Hellfire by now, that makes really short work of Ketos)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Morpheus posted:

Edit: On that note, I'm a little weary of games where a Game Over means lost time. I think more titles should have a penalty to the characters, but not a penalty to the players. Lost money, halved experience, whatever, just not "Hey remember that hour and a half you spent getting this far? You just wasted all of your time."

This is one thing I really liked about Dragon Quest.

I liked the way FF6 did it. You would have to go back to wherever you last saved, but all your levels and items went back with you

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A moot point, since no one will ever get a Game Over in FF6.

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

You didn't get killed by Magimaster the first time you fought him?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Every schlub knows to use the Moogle Charm and Life 3 on the Fanatics' Tower :colbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Nate RFB posted:

Unless you're doing the airship bug or one of a billion other tricks.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Tempted as I am, I think I'm gonna hold off on WKC2 for now. Picking up Soul Calibur 5 tomorrow and Kingdoms of Amalur comes out next week, but thanks for the info.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Always buy two threads. Always.

Edit: On that note, I'm a little weary of games where a Game Over means lost time. I think more titles should have a penalty to the characters, but not a penalty to the players. Lost money, halved experience, whatever, just not "Hey remember that hour and a half you spent getting this far? You just wasted all of your time."

This is one thing I really liked about Dragon Quest.

I have really enjoyed games where you're supposed to die at first but each little bit of progress gives you a reward that you permanently have from the beginning of the game so you eventually make your way up to being super-powered. Plus you're getting better at the game!

Games that have done this (that I know of) are Elona Shooter and the Enchanted Cave (flash games) and I'm sure I'm missing some more. Man these games are fun, just wish there were more of them :(

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

mune posted:

I have really enjoyed games where you're supposed to die at first but each little bit of progress gives you a reward that you permanently have from the beginning of the game so you eventually make your way up to being super-powered. Plus you're getting better at the game!

Games that have done this (that I know of) are Elona Shooter and the Enchanted Cave (flash games) and I'm sure I'm missing some more. Man these games are fun, just wish there were more of them :(

Breath of Fire V. Plus, combat's really fun and the atmosphere is pretty awesome.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Breath of Fire V. Plus, combat's really fun and the atmosphere is pretty awesome.

Oh dammit, that was the other one I was thinking about :) Such a great game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

iastudent posted:

Tempted as I am, I think I'm gonna hold off on WKC2 for now. Picking up Soul Calibur 5 tomorrow and Kingdoms of Amalur comes out next week, but thanks for the info.

As much as I enjoy WKC, this is a good idea. The quality of the game isn't super high so if you play it in lieu of something else you're looking forward to, you'll probably spend half your time playing wondering why you're not playing the other game. It's a fun diversion when you have nothing else going on and it's probably only going to get cheaper.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I'm looking to play a classic (or classic style) PC RPG, preferably of the dungeon crawling type. What I'd really like is a good remake of ultima underworld, but all I can find when searching for that is a shitload of unfinished projects. I was hoping that since System Shock got a nice upgrade with better graphics and mouse control a couple of years ago maybe UUW has as well, but I can't find any good ones. If anyone knows of one, I'd love to hear about it.

Otherwise, any PC RPG in that style with a decent interface would work for me. I've tried UUW, Dungeon Master, Wizardry, Might and Magic, and a bunch of others, but ultimately the interfaces are too clunky for me to spend hundreds of hours playing them. I don't care about graphics, unless the graphics actually get in the way of gameplay like they do in UUW due to extreme pixelation and a tiny viewing area. Any recommendations? I've already played Dark Spire and other similar games on the DS, as well as the newest Wizardry on the PSN. I'm looking for something a bit more PC oriented.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm looking to play a classic (or classic style) PC RPG, preferably of the dungeon crawling type. What I'd really like is a good remake of ultima underworld, but all I can find when searching for that is a shitload of unfinished projects. I was hoping that since System Shock got a nice upgrade with better graphics and mouse control a couple of years ago maybe UUW has as well, but I can't find any good ones. If anyone knows of one, I'd love to hear about it.

Otherwise, any PC RPG in that style with a decent interface would work for me. I've tried UUW, Dungeon Master, Wizardry, Might and Magic, and a bunch of others, but ultimately the interfaces are too clunky for me to spend hundreds of hours playing them. I don't care about graphics, unless the graphics actually get in the way of gameplay like they do in UUW due to extreme pixelation and a tiny viewing area. Any recommendations? I've already played Dark Spire and other similar games on the DS, as well as the newest Wizardry on the PSN. I'm looking for something a bit more PC oriented.

I've heard a lot of good things about Frayed Knights, but I haven't played it myself.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
There are people who don't reload when they're about to die? I only had to do it once or twice in DQIX but I don't really deal with the death penalty in any RPG. Worst case scenario it's been a little while since I last saved, but habits from 90s adventure game fandom come in handy on that front.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Adam Bowen posted:

You want to try Arx Fatalis. It was literally developed with the intent of becoming Ultima Underworld 3, except the developer couldn't obtain the license.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BGrifter posted:

There are people who don't reload when they're about to die? I only had to do it once or twice in DQIX but I don't really deal with the death penalty in any RPG. Worst case scenario it's been a little while since I last saved, but habits from 90s adventure game fandom come in handy on that front.

In Dragon Quest, the only penalty for death is that you lose half your money; you still keep all the EXP and items and plot advancement you've gained since your last save. It's usually worth it to keep playing, especially since reloading and just accepting the death both send you back to the save point.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Levantine posted:

As much as I enjoy WKC, this is a good idea. The quality of the game isn't super high so if you play it in lieu of something else you're looking forward to, you'll probably spend half your time playing wondering why you're not playing the other game. It's a fun diversion when you have nothing else going on and it's probably only going to get cheaper.

True, I'm on extended break from the game right now because of XIII-2 and some more games coming out in the next couple weeks.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Adam Bowen posted:

...since System Shock got a nice upgrade with better graphics and mouse control...
drat, I either didn't know about this or forgot about it and never got around to playing it. There's a nice self-contained portable installation with a bunch of mods already preloaded in it so I'll give that a shot. Wish there was a mouselook mod for Ultima Underworld too.

I never quite got into Arx Fatalis either so I'll try that in the coming days too.

Legend of Grimlock might pique your interest in case you didn't catch the thread. It's a bit early to be expecting to play it any time soon though.

... made a typo with Grimrock/Grimlock but I'm going to leave it. Mecha dinosaur dungeon crawler? Could be promising.

edit: Upon starting the System Shock Portable executable, I was greeted with the message, "Welcome back, (my name). SHODAN is waiting for you." The usage of my named startled me for a moment before I realized what happened. Clever.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 6, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

softcorps posted:

Wish there was a mouselook mod for Ultima Underworld too.

I read somewhere that it's completely impossible without just rebuilding the game :( It makes me so sad.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

softcorps posted:

drat, I either didn't know about this or forgot about it and never got around to playing it. There's a nice self-contained portable installation with a bunch of mods already preloaded in it so I'll give that a shot. Wish there was a mouselook mod for Ultima Underworld too.

I never quite got into Arx Fatalis either so I'll try that in the coming days too.

Legend of Grimlock might pique your interest in case you didn't catch the thread. It's a bit early to be expecting to play it any time soon though.

The Legend of Grimlock thread is what inspired me to want to play some other games in that style. I wish the classics weren't so drat aged so I could get more into them, but I consider a workable auto-map and a control scheme that isn't awful to be non-debatable. As for Arx Fatalis, I've played it through past the half-way point on more than one occasion but I always get bored of it. On paper, it seems to have everything I'm looking for. But somehow the whole package just doesn't do it for me.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 1, 2014

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Defender's Quest is a lot of fun, I'm completely burnt out on tower defense but I put a good 10 hours into it and loved every minute of it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm looking for some good, readily available JRPG-style games. I'd love something with a good story and interesting characters, and while an interesting battle mechanic would be great, I don't mind if it's not amazing.

By readily available, I mean:
PC Downloadable
PS3/360/Wii/3DS

I'm even open to good freeware games if there are some out there. Anybody have some stellar suggestions? I've mostly stuck to major console releases, so anything that gets suggested, I probably haven't played it. Apologies if there's a thread for this elsewhere.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for some good, readily available JRPG-style games. I'd love something with a good story and interesting characters, and while an interesting battle mechanic would be great, I don't mind if it's not amazing.

Most likely this (next?) week Good Old Games is going to be releasing Anachronox, which was basically a love-letter to JRPG style mechanics from Tom Hall. Odds are it'll be $10 and the cast of characters will make up for drat near any issues you have with the combat (I had no problems, some people got a little irked with it).

Sadly this does you no good at this instant. I apologize for denying you instant gratification.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 1, 2014

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

MockingQuantum posted:

PC Downloadable
PS3/360/Wii/3DS

I'm even open to good freeware games if there are some out there. Anybody have some stellar suggestions? I've mostly stuck to major console releases, so anything that gets suggested, I probably haven't played it. Apologies if there's a thread for this elsewhere.

The most recent, really smart and great RPG would probably be Radiant Historia for the DS, which is conventional in that you're a dude and you get a party and go through a story, but what's different is that the characters AREN'T stupid loving anime trope-y clueless motherfuckers bumbling along. It's well told, has mature characters, the game doesn't waste your time, and the main crux of the game is time travel, again, not done in embarrassing way that treats you like a 4 year old (like Tales of series). The battle system leaves a little to be desired, but it's mostly standard JRPG-wise.

Another one in a great step forward for modern RPGs is Xenoblade for the Wii, which is an epic, really great looking RPG with a lot of freedom, customization, and really smart in modernizing the state of JRPG's with a good story, characters, and active battle system. There's a TON to do in this game and the game overall is really, really great.

Also the PSN is gathering a bunch of great PS2/PS1 classics, so that's worth checking out.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Fortune Summoners is worth trying the demo for if you're into that type of game, and is currently $15. Not sure if I'd want to pay the usual $20 for it.

It's kind of an odd game since the "aww that's adorable" graphics and characters constrast pretty strongly with its curse-inducing gameplay that I think is on par with old NES platformers, the Ghouls 'n' Ghosts series, and Demon's/Dark Souls games.

It's a lot like the Souls games in the respect that if you go in weapons-a-swingin' then the enemies will tear you up, and the game regularly puts you in scenarios where you're at a marked disadvantage. My biggest gripe with the game would be that the enemies are brutally fast. Your character animations are comparatively slow, but the enemies move like they just hopped out of a Gradius or Street Fighter game. It's actually easier to have the computer AI control the more combat-heavy characters since I can't react fast enough. Of course, this doesn't work during times you're forced to use one character. Or maybe I just suck at platform and action games, since I get whipped pretty regularly on the easiest setting.

Also, the demo covers only the first chapter which is fairly easy compared to the ones that follow so don't let that fool you into thinking the game is easy.

Here's a more verbose review.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
I'd like to second the Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone recommendation. As a fan of old-school dungeon-crawling RPGs a la Wizardry and the like, I normally don't enjoy platformers or sidescroller RPGs, but this one has me fully engrossed. I'm playing it on Normal, and finding it highly fun and challenging. I can only imagine how challenging it must be on Hard. Well worth the $20, in my humble opinion.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

The most recent, really smart and great RPG would probably be Radiant Historia for the DS, which is conventional in that you're a dude and you get a party and go through a story, but what's different is that the characters AREN'T stupid loving anime trope-y clueless motherfuckers bumbling along. It's well told, has mature characters, the game doesn't waste your time, and the main crux of the game is time travel, again, not done in embarrassing way that treats you like a 4 year old (like Tales of series). The battle system leaves a little to be desired, but it's mostly standard JRPG-wise.

If it had not been for Dark Souls Radiant Historia would have been my definite game of the year last year... I loved the game, but since they were far enough part in the year I have no idea which I actually loved more...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pash posted:

If it had not been for Dark Souls Radiant Historia would have been my definite game of the year last year... I loved the game, but since they were far enough part in the year I have no idea which I actually loved more...

I was really disappointed with Radiant Historia. It's a well-put-together game with some good writing, but all the mechanics felt kind of flat. The combat was neat, but having to fight the same drat enemies every time you ran through that stupid desert got real old, real fast.

Likewise, the time-travel mechanic is completely useless except as a plot element, and a very poorly-utilized one at that. You end up in situations where you (and the main character) know exactly who is to blame for problems, or what event in the past set something off, but unless it's the exact moment that the plot specifies, nothing will come of it. The fact that cutscenes repeat is even dumber, since you'll literally be talking to a murderous psychotic fiend in the past, even though you've seen him kill numerous people in the future. It creates a severe disconnect.

I 100%ed the game because it's well made, but I was expecting a whole lot more in many ways from it.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Morpheus posted:

I was really disappointed with Radiant Historia. It's a well-put-together game with some good writing, but all the mechanics felt kind of flat. The combat was neat, but having to fight the same drat enemies every time you ran through that stupid desert got real old, real fast.

Likewise, the time-travel mechanic is completely useless except as a plot element, and a very poorly-utilized one at that. You end up in situations where you (and the main character) know exactly who is to blame for problems, or what event in the past set something off, but unless it's the exact moment that the plot specifies, nothing will come of it. The fact that cutscenes repeat is even dumber, since you'll literally be talking to a murderous psychotic fiend in the past, even though you've seen him kill numerous people in the future. It creates a severe disconnect.

I 100%ed the game because it's well made, but I was expecting a whole lot more in many ways from it.

The game let you get around the repeated battles though once you got the invisibility spell. Its not like the game was that hard either. Other than a few fights it didn't really require much grinding at all.

I actually enjoyed the time-travel mechanic quite a bit, going back in time using knowledge you have gained to solve problems. Being only able to travel back to places you were at that time is an interesting idea.

Also you can skip cut-scenes... Its true there were some times you could go back and talk to bad guys before you knew they were evil, but for the most part I finished up those portions and never headed back again.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pash posted:

The game let you get around the repeated battles though once you got the invisibility spell. Its not like the game was that hard either. Other than a few fights it didn't really require much grinding at all.

I actually enjoyed the time-travel mechanic quite a bit, going back in time using knowledge you have gained to solve problems. Being only able to travel back to places you were at that time is an interesting idea.

Also you can skip cut-scenes... Its true there were some times you could go back and talk to bad guys before you knew they were evil, but for the most part I finished up those portions and never headed back again.

It wasn't just the battles, it was the running through the desert which was a pain.

The biggest problem with the time travel mechanic was that you could only use specific knowledge to solve specific puzzles. With information that you get, I don't know, halfway through the game you should've been able to stab anybody in the eyeball and solve half your problems, but you can't. You can only, for example, save a merchant. Or stop a robbery. The reason time travel worked in, say, Chrono Trigger was because the time periods are so far removed that to bring about change in one required a massive event in a previous one, such as saving an ancestor or destroying a big bad enemy. In Historia, there are hundreds of things the main character could've done at almost any point to affect what would happen, and he never does it, and it's irritating.

I know you could skip cutscenes but, sort of like what I mentioned above, it's about the knowledge that you have during these cutscenes. You talk to everybody the same way, you perform all your duties the same way. If it's not extremely plot-specific knowledge that you must use to continue the timeline, it's never utilized ever. Plus, keep in mind you also have the knowledge of the 'failed' paths, where you lose. There is knowledge that he must've gained during these paths that would be flippin' invaluable in so many situations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MockingQuantum posted:

PC Downloadable
PS3/360/Wii/3DS

You could try 'The Last Remnant' which is available on Steam, but be warned it's very obtuse and probably the ultimate love or hate it game.

...Well, okay, maybe not so much as Unlimited SaGa.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

In Historia, there are hundreds of things the main character could've done at almost any point to affect what would happen, and he never does it, and it's irritating.

Except one of the specific ideas in the game is that stabbing people doesn't solve your problems. Your goal isn't to Kill The Bad Guy, it's to create a stable future where the world isn't destroyed. There are multiple 'bad ends' where Stocke does exactly what you say and the end result is that the world is still destroyed.

The basic premise is that there is one timeline which leads to the world surviving, and your goal is to find that one timeline. The general assumption (as shown by the many bad ends) is that anything beyond the correct timeline leaves you doomed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Except one of the specific ideas in the game is that stabbing people doesn't solve your problems. Your goal isn't to Kill The Bad Guy, it's to create a stable future where the world isn't destroyed. There are multiple 'bad ends' where Stocke does exactly what you say and the end result is that the world is still destroyed.

The basic premise is that there is one timeline which leads to the world surviving, and your goal is to find that one timeline. The general assumption (as shown by the many bad ends) is that anything beyond the correct timeline leaves you doomed.

Stabbings aside, there are many times in the story where future knowledge could've made a serious difference. Stocke should be able to anticipate everything, simply because of his book. You know the phrase 'he's always one step ahead of us'? That's Stocke. That should be him. He should be one step ahead of everybody. He should hold (almost) all of the cards, especially when dealing with people that aren't aware of the book's existence.

I still think it's well-written and a fun enough game, but don't expect Chrono Trigger-levels of time travel. You just play through one route until you no longer can play through that route due to some reason, go through the other route until you do something that, for some reason, affects the other route, then keep going until you run into a block in that route, etc.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Morpheus posted:

You just play through one route until you no longer can play through that route due to some reason, go through the other route until you do something that, for some reason, affects the other route, then keep going until you run into a block in that route, etc.
I don't necessarily agree with all of the other part of your opinion but I will agree with this part and it was one of the main things that kind of bored me out of the game. I didn't really feel like a cool time traveler or anything with actual plot options. Having a couple of solutions to a "chokepoint" would have been my idea of something more enjoyable.

But then there was the boring combat. [e]In that it was just way too easy. And too repetitive.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 7, 2012

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Another one in a great step forward for modern RPGs is Xenoblade for the Wii, which is an epic, really great looking RPG with a lot of freedom, customization, and really smart in modernizing the state of JRPG's with a good story, characters, and active battle system. There's a TON to do in this game and the game overall is really, really great.

I'm so excited for this one. Too bad it doesn't come out in the US until April.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Rascyc posted:

I don't necessarily agree with all of the other part of your opinion but I will agree with this part and it was one of the main things that kind of bored me out of the game. I didn't really feel like a cool time traveler or anything with actual plot options. Having a couple of solutions to a "chokepoint" would have been my idea of something more enjoyable.

But then there was the boring combat. [e]In that it was just way too easy. And too repetitive.

I agree with this completely. The time travel mechanic is one of the reasons the game disappointed me, because it wasn't used in a way that made sense with the power your character had, but had its use prescribed to the point where I was constantly being reminded that I was just playing a game and getting keys to use for certain triggers that I had to move backwards in the event timeline to access. To this day I still haven't picked the game back up because I thought it was stupid that I could only ask to learn sword dancing at one very specific moment in a particular timeline. It really just highlights how little sense the mechanic (As it's used) makes.

Also I hated that first point where you learn that something changed in the other timeline as a result of what you did in this one (I believe it had something to do with an explosives merchant). At that point I felt the game was training me to think "Okay sometimes I have to do stuff and then problems will magically solve themselves arbitrarily."

It sucks because many games have done the idea of cross-world interaction in the past and much more elegantly. This game is very explicitly about that so there's an expectation that it should be done in a way that makes sense and lets the player feel like they have agency in the game world.

Edit: Since someone brought it up, see Xenoblade as an example of a game where the powers the main character gets in the plot actually translates directly to the player being given more options that are implemented in a way that doesn't feel excessively restricted by the developers. The first time I picked a flower and had a premonition about using it for a sidequest later, a big loving grin spread across my face. That team really gets it.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 8, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nickoten posted:

It sucks because many games have done the idea of cross-world interaction in the past and much more elegantly. This game is very explicitly about that so there's an expectation that it should be done in a way that makes sense and lets the player feel like they have agency in the game world.
Yeah I remember that "Save the merchant in the cave" thing early on. Which you did in one world. And it made the merchant not die or something and show up in the other world where you needed him, becuase.... :geno:

Game didn't even try to explain why this works. It just does. Shut up stop asking questions. I mean it's not like we could just save him in the past of the timeline we need him in or something. It's not like we've got a time travel device that-wait a minute...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

Yeah I remember that "Save the merchant in the cave" thing early on. Which you did in one world. And it made the merchant not die or something and show up in the other world where you needed him, becuase.... :geno:

Game didn't even try to explain why this works. It just does. Shut up stop asking questions. I mean it's not like we could just save him in the past of the timeline we need him in or something. It's not like we've got a time travel device that-wait a minute...

Yes it does.

The premise of the game is that you take one major actor that splits the timeline in two in a giant way. This is the only time this happens. Those two timelines are separate but interconnected. Actions in one influence the actions of the other because the two timelines are trying to become whole again (as they do at the end, in the Unified Timeline), and so the way characters act in one is mirrored by the way they act in another. However, only the holders of the Plot Device can actually alter things, so Stocke's (and the Black Chronicle owner's) actions are the only one to cause these alterations. If Stocke or the BC user isn't making an alteration, the two universes continue onwards trying to match one another as best they can until they unify.

That is why a character who dies in World A is almost certain to die in World B, because both timelines are trying to become one. Likewise, in the case of the Merchant, it is that the Merchant is saved in Universe B and so fate makes sure he is saved in Universe A as well. This is explained in-game. Stocke even abuses it for a lot of the sidequests, like the one where he convinces a soldier to join the army in one dimension because it will make him more likely to do it in the other. As long as Stocke makes a change, the universe makes sure it is mirrored in the other world in some fashion. If Stocke doesn't make a change, the universe just continues onwards until it unifies. (Usually this means everyone is dead.)

It's time-and-dimension fuckery that is constant with the rules that the game sets. They are strange rules but they remain internally constant once they're set. It's not using Chrono Trigger or Back To The Future style time travel. It honestly reminds me more of Quantum Leap than anything else but with dimension fuckery thrown in too.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 8, 2012