Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Bewildrbeast posted:

There was nothing said about an ESN on the auction, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the thing.
This is turning into an absolute bummer, I should have educated myself on this sort of thing before assuming it'd work.

Yeah with CDMA phone you always need to make sure it's in good standing or not stolen by checking the ESN. Best way is to buy local and meet at a verizon store so you can check at the store if you need to.

This applies to any CDMA phones including dumb phones, because they are basically bricks without a working/clean ESN :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Can it be the 9th yet, please? :D

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Congobongo posted:

I sort of have the same issue as you. I can maintain a solid cdma connection if I disable the lte radio. I've tried flashing new radios but that didn't seem to change anything.

I can get short bursts of lte connectivity but it drops when a new request for data goes. I'm in San Francisco so I'm in a pretty covered lte area.

more friedman units posted:

This is exactly what my Nexus is doing. Verizon tech support says it's a software issue that Samsung is working on, but they don't have an estimated date.

Considering that there seem to be complaints back through December reporting similar symptoms and the response was an update adjusting how signal strength is reported, I'm not too optimistic.

An Android 4.04 update has been found in the wild with new radios. It looks to be a test release before a role out later in the month. I live in a non-LTE area so I don't have a reason to try it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-android-404-ota-package-now-available

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

waffle iron posted:

An Android 4.04 update has been found in the wild with new radios. It looks to be a test release before a role out later in the month. I live in a non-LTE area so I don't have a reason to try it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-android-404-ota-package-now-available

Is there any chance to extract the radios out from that release? The 4.0.3 radios floating around didn't do anything for me.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
It's so crazy, coming from a long line of HTC sense based devices, how fast official google phones get both official/non official updates.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Congobongo posted:

Is there any chance to extract the radios out from that release? The 4.0.3 radios floating around didn't do anything for me.

Here ya go. I haven't tried it and didn't check for bugs. It will change your boot loader so you should check and make sure people aren't having problems unlocking it or anything.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

VerySolidSnake posted:

I've had my Galaxy Nexus since launch, and haven't done any customizations, aside from changing the wallpaper and installing a couple of games.

Within the past week I noticed the battery life is getting worse and worse, to the point I have to fully charge twice a day. Looking at the battery stats the Android OS is the highest user of battery with 50%. I maybe check email and news 30 minutes a day, and talk on the phone 1-2 hours. The phone also gets extremely hot around the 10 minute mark of a phone call.

Are these common issues? Or is there something wrong with my phone?

Turning off screen rotation stopped the Android OS from hogging all my battery, YMMV.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ciabatta posted:

Here ya go. I haven't tried it and didn't check for bugs. It will change your boot loader so you should check and make sure people aren't having problems unlocking it or anything.

If you reflash the factory image off the Google site here it will put the original bootloader back.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

It also doesn't re-lock your bootloader or anything when you flash that. Honestly, you probably won't even notice the new bootloader.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
I have a question that's probably been asked a thousand times in this thread, but here goes anyway.

I want to enable mobile hotspot on my phone. I have the grandfathered in unlimited data plan, would I just pay an extra 20 or 30 dollars a month for mobile hotpsot, or would it make me somehow completely switch data plans to one of the the tiered plans?

Hopefully that question actually made sense.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Dandy Cat posted:

I want to enable mobile hotspot on my phone. I have the grandfathered in unlimited data plan, would I just pay an extra 20 or 30 dollars a month for mobile hotpsot, or would it make me somehow completely switch data plans to one of the the tiered plans?

The $30/month mobile hotspot plan is definitely unlimited (I have it despite being a new customer as of 12/15/11, since there was an exploit back in Nov/Dec that let you get unlimited data using it). The $20/month one would probably put you on tiered data.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
So I'd not lose my unlimited data? That's the thing I'm worried about.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dandy Cat posted:

So I'd not lose my unlimited data? That's the thing I'm worried about.
You wouldn't lose it. On Verizon the hotspot is an add-on feature, not part of the data plan, so your data plan isn't changing. I just did it over Christmas while traveling, no sweat. You can even cancel the hotspot through their website now.

Keep in mind the data allocation of the hotspot is prorated -- so if you sign up for the 2Gb/mo hotspot and only keep it active for 3 days, your data allocation is only ~200 Mb.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
Ok, thanks for the answer! I was just going to use it at work to set up my own little wifi network for my nook to get online.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Bailing on my Nexus today. I never really liked it to be honest. I find the stock ICS kinda, meh. And there aren't enough places for me to use google wallet to care about NFC at this point.

Connection issues are getting worse. And Battery life has been horrendous for some unknown reason for the past 2 weeks.

Now just need to decide if I want to take a Rezound or a Maxx from inventory. I hate the Motorola UI, but I like the idea of the battery life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Go with the MAXX. Even HTC thinks their 2011 handsets were disappointing.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mighty Horse posted:

Bailing on my Nexus today. I never really liked it to be honest. I find the stock ICS kinda, meh. And there aren't enough places for me to use google wallet to care about NFC at this point.

Connection issues are getting worse. And Battery life has been horrendous for some unknown reason for the past 2 weeks.

Now just need to decide if I want to take a Rezound or a Maxx from inventory. I hate the Motorola UI, but I like the idea of the battery life.

This makes me a little hesitant to get a Nexus. We have pretty decent LTE here from what I understand, and I have excellent wifi at home and at work, so my DI doesn't usually run out of battery until the end of the day. I have had the low disk space issues for a while, which was part of the reason I was getting ready to upgrade. I suppose I could try a CM7 or 9 ROM to see if that helps out for a while.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
The 4.0.4 update seems to have really tightened this phone up. Everything feels just a tad quicker, 3G/4G hand off seems to be much better, I don't even notice it happening anymore. They say the multi touch issues are fixed but I haven't had a chance to test it out. Also can't comment on the Android OS sucking down the juice, though XDA says that's fixed too.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm looking forward to that getting pushed out properly. I haven't had too many issues with radios or connectivity, but it seems like my Android OS battery use has been creeping up the past week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, i haven't woken up my phone to have all cell radios down (including voice) yet since I flashed. It's still too early to tell though if this resolved it completely.

It does feel just a bit better polished overall though.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bull3964 posted:

Go with the MAXX. Even HTC thinks their 2011 handsets were disappointing.

Eh, I liked the Rezound. It has a really nice screen and I LIKE the Sense UI changes.

LG guy came in today, so I think I am going to try out the Spectrum for a while. Its getting overlooked a lot, but it has a really, really nice display. And Netflix HD. I HATE the LG launcher though, so Ill need to put Go or ADW on there.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mighty Horse posted:

Eh, I liked the Rezound. It has a really nice screen and I LIKE the Sense UI changes.

LG guy came in today, so I think I am going to try out the Spectrum for a while. Its getting overlooked a lot, but it has a really, really nice display. And Netflix HD. I HATE the LG launcher though, so Ill need to put Go or ADW on there.

Pretty sure you can grab the Netflix HD apk and use it on any phone.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Mighty Horse posted:

Out of curiousity, what do you hate about the Moto UI?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pbpancho posted:

Out of curiousity, what do you hate about the Moto UI?

Its ugly?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

The real crime of all that poo poo is that it's designed to segment the platform. If Moto, HTC, and Samsung want to play UI designer, they should be selling their poo poo in Market. That's of course not their perogative, they just want their products to look different regardless of what implications it'll have on future Android software updates.

I'm a pretty firm believer that every phone should ship with vanilla Android and if users want to customize it they can do so by way of themes, apps, replacement launchers, etc. The problem with manufacturer UIs isn't a question of "hurp durp do you like HTC AIDSware better than MotoGonorrhea???", it's the negative implications of buying a device with proprietary modifications that only exist to differentiate the product. Your only source for updates is the hardware manufacturer that already has your money, and has little/no incentive to continue investing in your device.

So in essence "finding the stock ICS UI kinda meh" sounds like an affliction only a cellphone retail rep could attain. For the rest of the market, stock is objectively the right answer.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I feel like there's money to be made for Samsung and company to just make a theme generator and sell it to overlay on top of the stock android skins. Maybe some custom apps at a discount or something when you own the device.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
So is the general consensus to buy a Maxx at this point? I was interested in a Galaxy Nexus because I trust Google to support it for two years, but after the poor antenna and poo poo battery life of my Thunderbolt I'm afraid to get something that already has those issues. Although I'm planning to buy from Costco, so there's some buyer protection there. UI isn't a big issue to me, I'll probably use Go Launcher with an ICS theme anyway.

kalibar posted:

The real crime of all that poo poo is that it's designed to segment the platform. If Moto, HTC, and Samsung want to play UI designer, they should be selling their poo poo in Market. That's of course not their perogative, they just want their products to look different regardless of what implications it'll have on future Android software updates.

I'm a pretty firm believer that every phone should ship with vanilla Android and if users want to customize it they can do so by way of themes, apps, replacement launchers, etc. The problem with manufacturer UIs isn't a question of "hurp durp do you like HTC AIDSware better than MotoGonorrhea???", it's the negative implications of buying a device with proprietary modifications that only exist to differentiate the product. Your only source for updates is the hardware manufacturer that already has your money, and has little/no incentive to continue investing in your device.

So in essence "finding the stock ICS UI kinda meh" sounds like an affliction only a cellphone retail rep could attain. For the rest of the market, stock is objectively the right answer.

You're making a pretty big leap that by not having to code the UI that they would get updates out faster/at all. Just because they can doesn't mean they would. Guess what? Plenty of people like Sense UI, for example, because it looks cool to them. That doesn't make them cellphone reps, that makes them part of the market.

It's in the best influence of the hardware companies to differentiate their products. It's not about selling an awesome UI as a product, it's about branding the phone as that company's product. It builds their brand identity. That's the way it is.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

It's not sustainable. It's what OEMs are doing now because they don't know what else to do, but it's pretty obvious that the industry is headed toward a more Windows laptop-like approach where OEMs can only dick up the experience so far but Microsoft (Google, in our case) is still responsible for the overall quality of the software.

We can accelerate this correction process by never buying phones with Blur, Sense, TouchWiz, et al. Basically it's buy a Nexus, buy an older device with extensive CM support (thus avoiding rewarding the manufacturer directly), or buy an iPhone. Don't support screwed-with UIs and locked bootloaders.

That said, I think it would be pretty neat if the dev community somehow decided to latch onto the RAZR MAXX and browbeat into being an acceptable product. 3300 mAh on an LTE phone is dope; it's just not worth surrendering your principles for.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WeaselWeaz posted:

So is the general consensus to buy a Maxx at this point? I was interested in a Galaxy Nexus because I trust Google to support it for two years, but after the poor antenna and poo poo battery life of my Thunderbolt I'm afraid to get something that already has those issues. Although I'm planning to buy from Costco, so there's some buyer protection there. UI isn't a big issue to me, I'll probably use Go Launcher with an ICS theme anyway.

I don't think that's the general consensus at all. Tons of people here bought a Galaxy Nexus and it definitely wasn't a perfect phone at launch, so the thread got a good amount of bug reports. As far as I know, everyone in here running 4.0.3 has gotten a much better experience (if I'm wrong, feel free to chime in!). 4.0.4 is on the horizon and from early reports does away with most/all of the remaining complaints. Many of us haven't had any problems in the first place, but it is tough to get any good idea for how widespread the issues have been.

Compare that to what you'll get with any non-Nexus device. Motorola's (and Samsung's and HTC's) track record on getting phones updated to the current version is not good, to say the least. Froyo -> Gingerbread was hard for all the OEMs and there's no reason to suspect GB -> ICS will be smoother. For the Razr/Maxx specifically, you're buying into a phone that was upstaged almost immediately by a Nexus, which likely grabbed a big chunk of the developer community that were interested in it, and will be made "obsolescent" sometime relatively soon by the Razr Maxx HD.

Principles or not, you're trading a lot of good things about the Nexus (screen, software, OEM/community support) for essentially a huge battery. Nevermind that you can get a comically huge or much more reasonable extended battery in the Nexus if you really want. It isn't for nothing that the Nexus S is still the most recommended Android phone for T-Mobile around here.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 7, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The current moto top phones ( bionic, Razr, Razr MAXX ) are EXTREMELY stable devices, especially in the radio department. They are probably the most polished OEM devices on the market right now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 7, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was there ever an official 4.0.3 that was pushed out by Google or are people still just flashing it to their phone?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

The current moto top phones ( bionic, Razr, Razr MAXX ) are EXTREMELY stable devices, especially I'm the radio department. They are probably the most polished OEM devices on the market right now.

Seconding this. My Droid 3 is nothing short of amazing, and it's now considered "Second tier" compared to the Bionic, Razr/MAXX.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Ciabatta posted:

I don't think that's the general consensus at all. Tons of people here bought a Galaxy Nexus and it definitely wasn't a perfect phone at launch, so the thread got a good amount of bug reports. As far as I know, everyone in here running 4.0.3 has gotten a much better experience (if I'm wrong, feel free to chime in!). 4.0.4 is on the horizon and from early reports does away with most/all of the remaining complaints. Many of us haven't had any problems in the first place, but it is tough to get any good idea for how widespread the issues have been.

That is true, but the CDMA Nexuses are now a completely different story and we still have to see how many updates Verizon will vet and approve.

quote:

Compare that to what you'll get with any non-Nexus device. Motorola's (and Samsung's and HTC's) track record on getting phones updated to the current version is not good, to say the least. Froyo -> Gingerbread was hard for all the OEMs and there's no reason to suspect GB -> ICS will be smoother. For the Razr/Maxx specifically, you're buying into a phone that was upstaged almost immediately by a Nexus, which likely grabbed a big chunk of the developer community that were interested in it, and will be made "obsolescent" sometime relatively soon by the Razr Maxx HD.

Principles or not, you're trading a lot of good things about the Nexus (screen, software, OEM/community support) for essentially a huge battery. Nevermind that you can get a comically huge or much more reasonable extended battery in the Nexus if you really want. It isn't for nothing that the Nexus S is still the most recommended Android phone for T-Mobile around here.

I think the difference is that the RAZR is very stable and Gingerbread is very stable, whereas ICS pretty much isn't. And given that there are only a few new must-have gee-whiz things in ICS, you're trading a slim phone with a big honking battery for a potentially problematic big phone with a big honking battery. Not to mention that the Nexus is $300 by itself, before the extended battery.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

It's $100 on Amazon. Heck, you can get one for $310-350 straight up on craigslist in my area.

I've called you out on this before. Carrier store pricing != market value.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cojawfee posted:

Was there ever an official 4.0.3 that was pushed out by Google or are people still just flashing it to their phone?

Still just flashing it. Neither GSM or CDMA got 4.0.3 officially yet.

Mark Larson posted:

That is true, but the CDMA Nexuses are now a completely different story and we still have to see how many updates Verizon will vet and approve.

I think the difference is that the RAZR is very stable and Gingerbread is very stable, whereas ICS pretty much isn't. And given that there are only a few new must-have gee-whiz things in ICS, you're trading a slim phone with a big honking battery for a potentially problematic big phone with a big honking battery. Not to mention that the Nexus is $300 by itself, before the extended battery.

I do agree that the Maxx is a decent alternative and was downplaying its merits a bit for emphasis. However, even if Verizon does get in the way of typical Nexus updates, which is not necessarily that likely, that still puts it ahead of any of the non-Nexus phones (Google -> carrier, instead of Google -> OEM -> carrier). I do think the part of your quote I bolded is a bit excessive.

It is a pretty weird twist to have a Nexus as the "potentially problematic" phone. I guess I have a lot more faith in Google and/or the Nexus dev community sorting out the bugs better and more quickly than Motorola/Samsung/HTC will once they get updated to ICS. I do wonder how Motorola's competence in that respect will change once they're finally snatched up by Google.

The part about the terrible 3800 mAh battery was mostly a joke, too. If you really need a stupid battery, that makes the Maxx much more attractive.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

kalibar posted:

It's $100 on Amazon. Heck, you can get one for $310-350 straight up on craigslist in my area.

That price was only for new lines. Also, we get it. You hate anything that isn't stock or unlocked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

4.0.4 is the new hotness and it's actually an OTA package rather than the cobbled together 4.0.3 releases for the Verizon Galaxy nexus. It is likely what is going out to everyone in the next few weeks.

It's a HUGE difference so far. Especially in marginal signal areas. I can't say that it's getting stronger signal, but it no longer murders the battery searching for signal.

A bar I was at tonight barely has 1x service and frequently only has voice access. Other nights my Galaxy nexus would easily drain 40% to 50% battery for the two hours so so I was there. Tonight it only killed about 15% in the same time period and wasn't warm to the touch sitting in my pocket.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

kalibar posted:

We have to have a common frame of reference, and carrier prices are generally accepted since they are the same for everyone and are the same for upgrades. Anyway, point taken. The RAZR 32GB is the same as well, at $99.99. $400 is the minimum on my craigslist though. :(

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Ciabatta posted:

It is a pretty weird twist to have a Nexus as the "potentially problematic" phone. I guess I have a lot more faith in Google and/or the Nexus dev community sorting out the bugs better and more quickly than Motorola/Samsung/HTC will once they get updated to ICS. I do wonder how Motorola's competence in that respect will change once they're finally snatched up by Google.

I would hope so, but I don't trust Google anymore. Let's see how 4.0.4 and so on go. With Android, I like to have something that's fully functional from the get-go, since you never know about updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mark Larson posted:

I would hope so, but I don't trust Google anymore. Let's see how 4.0.4 and so on go. With Android, I like to have something that's fully functional from the get-go, since you never know about updates.

Fair enough, and if I had been having problems with my Nexus, I would probably be leaning the same way.

• Locked thread