Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

Generally for servers that do a lot of IO you'd want an SLC like the X25M or the Intel 700 series SSDs. They're more expensive but have a lot more redundant flash capacity than desktop drives. That being said if you're mirroring it then gently caress it, go cheap.

This is a little bit of a specific application where basically it doesn't matter if it fails, all I want is half-decent random write IOPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Bitch Stewie posted:

This is a little bit of a specific application where basically it doesn't matter if it fails, all I want is half-decent random write IOPs.
Should be fine, go for it.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I finally got up and running on the SSD. Thanks for the help, guys!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Bitch Stewie posted:

is there any need/benefit to not partition it so the full capacity is available?

As long as TRIM is working, there's effectively no difference between unpartitioned space, and free partitioned space.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Has anyone tried Trim Enabler 2.0 with OSX Lion? It came out a couple weeks ago but I read the previous version hosed things up.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

Has anyone tried Trim Enabler 2.0 with OSX Lion? It came out a couple weeks ago but I read the previous version hosed things up.

Used it last night, installed the latest updates to OS X and had to run enabler again, but it hasn't caused any problems for me. The Mac Mini is running the Crucial M4, FYI.

Yes, I did just buy another 128GB M4 :) LOVING these SSDs!

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006
So I'm looking for a 120/128gb SSD, and I already know my options and everything. I'm really looking for a Corsair or Crucial for around ~$145 or less(waiting for a sale to pop up). I did however, find this today: Kingston SSDNow V200 SV200S37A/128G 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s for $129.99 after rebates, but after reading some of the newegg reviews I'm slightly skeptical of its performance. Should I just stick with a Crucial M4 or Corsair Force once one goes on sale?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nuja posted:

So I'm looking for a 120/128gb SSD, and I already know my options and everything. I'm really looking for a Corsair or Crucial for around ~$145 or less(waiting for a sale to pop up). I did however, find this today: Kingston SSDNow V200 SV200S37A/128G 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s for $129.99 after rebates, but after reading some of the newegg reviews I'm slightly skeptical of its performance. Should I just stick with a Crucial M4 or Corsair Force once one goes on sale?

Some Kingston drives are fine, but that one seems to be a piece of junk:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/solid-state-drives-ssds-flash-storage/629427-kingston-ssdnow-v200-having-serious-performance-problems.html

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Some Kingston drives are fine, but that one seems to be a piece of junk:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/solid-state-drives-ssds-flash-storage/629427-kingston-ssdnow-v200-having-serious-performance-problems.html

Yeah, that's kinda the vibe I got from the reviews I read. Guess its back to searching daily for a sale! :smith:

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
edit: nevermind

Greedish fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 6, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Here's Anandtech's review of the Intel SSD 520-series, Intel's new Sandforce based drives. Here's The Tech Report's take, your favorite site should have one as well.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Oh my. Having your cake and eating it, too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alereon posted:

Here's Anandtech's review of the Intel SSD 520-series, Intel's new Sandforce based drives. Here's The Tech Report's take, your favorite site should have one as well.

Anand posted:

Codenamed Cherryville, Intel's SSD 520 would go through a full year of validation before Intel would sign off on the drive for release. In fact, it was some unresolved issues that cropped up during Intel's validation that pushed Cherryville back from the late 2011 release to today.
This is what it looks like to work with professionals.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm amazed Intel stuck with it and was able to polish that turd. I know a few companies spent months on SF-2281 designs and just got so frustrated with the part and gave up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm amazed Intel stuck with it and was able to polish that turd. I know a few companies spent months on SF-2281 designs and just got so frustrated with the part and gave up.
Weeeeeell we're talking about the company that stuck with RDRAM and Itanium, so there's no shortage of that sort of things.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For my money, the Samsung 830 is still the drive to buy. I'm really tempted to grab one, but I'm curious to see if Apple ends up with one for their iMacs this spring.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
My M4 seems pretty great so far, happily. However: my Win7 install is from a Norton Ghost image from my school, and the image was made for platter drives. Are there any settings I should dick with, or should I leave poo poo alone?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Re-run the Windows Experience Index.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Factory Factory posted:

Re-run the Windows Experience Index.

I got a 7.9 with my Crucial M4 on a fresh install :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

For my money, the Samsung 830 is still the drive to buy. I'm really tempted to grab one, but I'm curious to see if Apple ends up with one for their iMacs this spring.
Yeah that's what I got to replace my personal x25, and in a few machines at work.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

neckbeard posted:

It's not so much about the rating as that detecting an SSD with sufficient performance triggers Windows' "Hey, we got an SSD here!" settings.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Factory Factory posted:

It's not so much about the rating as that detecting an SSD with sufficient performance triggers Windows' "Hey, we got an SSD here!" settings.

don't rain on my epenis parade

ch0desmuggler
Jan 17, 2005
Newegg has the 64gb samsung 830 for 99.99 w/ free shipping - promo EMCNJGJ26

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone have trouble with the Intel 320 after the firmware update? Just curious cause I came across this thread today:
http://communities.intel.com/thread/24339?tstart=0

The only thing that'd stop me is if you can't upgrade the firmware from a Mac. I haven't looked at the newer ones but the older updater for the 470 seemed to just be a Windows app that downloaded the firmware and made a bootable USB drive which ran the update. So I guess as long as you could get that USB image it could work.

I also kept a copy of the PDF cause it looked like this (and used Hobo Sans for section headers inside!) :barf:

neckbeard posted:

My pretty old used G1 X25M got 7.3 :v:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

japtor posted:

Anyone have trouble with the Intel 320 after the firmware update? Just curious cause I came across this thread today:

The one in my laptop has been rock solid, but then, I never got the problem in the first place.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

I'll take you out, buddy!
I got a gift certificate to Crucial from work, so I decided to use it to get a 500GB SSD...

So I've been reading about a lot of poo poo you have to do to your Windows 7 install in order to maximize the SSD and ensure it doesn't break (I guess...?) but some of this seems like malarkey.

For example, turning off De-fragement service, turning off indexing, and installing a mechanical drive regardless of the fact I don't need one...

Is any of this stuff true, and if so, why?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

japtor posted:

I haven't updated the firmware on my Intel 320. I wouldn't have intended to, and didn't install any Intel SSD tools or drivers. My take on it is that it is clearly working, so I won't gently caress with it.

If this proves to be an issue though, they've screwed their record. I will say this though: if you don't back up, regardless of drive, you're asking for lost data - and at least Intel has a 5 year warranty on the drive.

McGuirk posted:

I got a gift certificate to Crucial from work, so I decided to use it to get a 500GB SSD...

So I've been reading about a lot of poo poo you have to do to your Windows 7 install in order to maximize the SSD and ensure it doesn't break (I guess...?) but some of this seems like malarkey.

For example, turning off De-fragement service, turning off indexing, and installing a mechanical drive regardless of the fact I don't need one...

All nonsense, that makes it sound hard to own an SSD for no reason. Infact, the title of this thread for some time (actually, the previous one) was "stop messing with Windows settings".

Make sure you hook it up to a SATA port that is on your chipset (such as Intel) as opposed to lovely 3rd party chipset, and make sure it's set to AHCI mode.
If you now intend to do a clean install, you have nothing else to do. If you have a lot of RAM, you might want to make the page file smaller, but that's about it.

If it isn't a clean install, and you're cloning the drive, having the partition correctly aligned is something to bear in mind, and you'll want to run Windows Experience Index assessment (although WinSAT schedules itself anyway). This will do all that optimisation for you (it disables defrag, and so on). No need for random registry keys and crazy guides.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 7, 2012

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

Make sure you hook it up to a SATA port that is on your chipset (such as Intel) as opposed to lovely 3rd party chipset

Okay I did a clean install, and did, or rather didn't do the other stuff.. but this I am a little confused about...

I hooked the thing up via SATA to my mobo, and use whatever drivers installed during OS install, INTEL drivers (I think...)..

Do you just mean don't install some crap 3rd party drivers over top of them?

(I made the mistake of turning off indexing, before I decided to ask in here, and was rewarded with a blue screen for my trouble :-/)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

McGuirk posted:

Okay I did a clean install, and did, or rather didn't do the other stuff.. but this I am a little confused about...

I hooked the thing up via SATA to my mobo, and use whatever drivers installed during OS install, INTEL drivers (I think...)..

Do you just mean don't install some crap 3rd party drivers over top of them?

(I made the mistake of turning off indexing, before I decided to ask in here, and was rewarded with a blue screen for my trouble :-/)

He means don't use the lovely third party SATA ports that most motherboard providers add on to have more ports (more SATA6gb ports, for a modern board).

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

Dogen posted:

He means don't use the lovely third party SATA ports that most motherboard providers add on to have more ports (more SATA6gb ports, for a modern board).

Ah... that makes sense.

I got a 7.0 in the "primary hard disk" category. Was hoping for 7.9 :sigh:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What kind of crucial? M4? If so, you might make sure it's plugged into an intel sata6gb port, if your system is of recent vintage (about a year old or less).

If not, take solace in the fact that those numbers are meaningless, really.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

evil_bunnY posted:

Well the flip side of this argument is that technically speaking, almost all SF-2200 models on the market right now with the latest firmware should be as reliable from a software standpoint now.

The part that really surprised me as we dove into testing was how far the Intel SSD 520 stood out from other synchronous NAND-equipped SF-2200 models. Up until now OCZ consistently throwing out faster number in many areas with their own in-house firmware enhancements. The SSD 520 finally stuck toe to toe with the MAX IOPS in testing, something that not many drives can claim at this point Even more impressive were the tests going into steady-state (I'm pretty sure we were the only ones that covered this area) where the Intel drive with mild over-provisioning started testing in the range of eMLC/SLC enterprise SSDs.

Not even going into reliability, the Intel SSD 520 is one of the first models to hold its ground with the top-performing SF models.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

McGuirk posted:

Here's what the Samsung SSD software does when you tell it to optimize the OS for an SSD:

- Turns off defrag on C:
- Turns off super fetch
- Tells you to get rid of your Ready Boost USB drive
- Turns off the indexing service
- Sets a new power plan to sleep the machine after 20 minutes.

I personally trust the SSD manufacturer in this case, but maybe this can help you decide.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Windows turns off Defrag and superfetch itself if you run the WEI (and won't readyboost from it either).

Turning off the indexing service is retarded bullshit from the early days of the stuttering JMicron controller. Don't do it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

dietcokefiend posted:

Well the flip side of this argument is that technically speaking, almost all SF-2200 models on the market right now with the latest firmware should be as reliable from a software standpoint now.

Anand's article didn't really back that statement up. There were two concerning issues:
1) Intel and Sandforce made a deal that keeps most of their work together secret, with the exception of some bugfixes. However, since Intel's primary purpose there was some real, serious validation and testing, I'm not sure what changes they could make that wouldn't qualify as a "bugfix".
2) Anand had anecdotal evidence that a drive with updated firmware still could generate BSODs in a way that the test Intel 530 did not. TBF, there are a lot of reasons this might be the case, most of which do not relate to the firmware itself.

Basically, I would not expect that all Sandforce 2200 drives have the complete set of Intel bugfixes in place at this time, and it may be quite some time before all manufacturers release firmware updates with the fix. Intel invested seriously in making this controller work, and want to be able to use that investment to hold an advantage over their competitors.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

http://nickcraver.com/blog/2012/02/07/stack-overflow-short-on-space/

Stack Overflow is moving from a RAID 10 of six 64GB Intel X-25E drives to six 200GB Intel 710 drives.

They're also upgrading the DB server from 96GB (6x16GB) RAM to 288GB (18x16GB) RAM.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

McGuirk posted:

The reason for turning off defrag is it actually slows down an SSD that said windows 7 does that automatically so unless your running XP you don't have to worry about it.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128405

This is the motherboard I have, it only has SATA 3Gb/s, how will that affect performance?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Greedish posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128405

This is the motherboard I have, it only has SATA 3Gb/s, how will that affect performance?

You will be limited to 3Gb/s.

There's a recent article at Tom's Hardware about SATA 3Gb vs 6Gb, it might even be on the last page or two of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does this look ok? Running a Intel 320.

Seem OK with my hardware? http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2237485

• Locked thread