Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

epswing posted:

AvengingDentist, please confirm that you can indeed suck your own cock.

Why do you think I stopped posting for like 2 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

That begs the question of why you are posting now??

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

JMilton posted:

Do you have any examples or readings about this that isn't spam from DeVry? Would like to know more.
I hope you aren't thinking about trying to do this on your own. One of the reasons software engineers can command such a high salary is because we know the right questions to ask. You don't.

This is going to sound harsh, but I'm just being honest. Your business plan, market research, and documentation? It's all firewood. You did it all without any engineering knowledge. You can't credibly claim that your business plan accurately reports costs and feasible deadlines, or that your game is even possible to create (especially given your budget constraints.) As far as an experienced investor is concerned you have accomplished nothing.

It's like you have a business plan to build a skyscraper, but you've never run it by an architect. Investing in your business would be amazingly stupid.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

That Turkey Story posted:

Got fat, can't reach dick.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

If ever there were a reason to lose weight.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)

That Turkey Story posted:

You mean "raises the question." "Begs the question" refers to a specific fallacy, and your usage there is not correct. No big deal, few people are actually aware of the Aristotelian context.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

nous_ posted:

You mean "raises the question." "Begs the question" refers to a specific fallacy, and your usage there is not correct. No big deal, few people are actually aware of the Aristotelian context.

Cool! You're a butthole.

Not sure if I used that term correctly.

Edit: Given that you've never posted here before, I'm assuming you're one of the geniuses helping out with the game. Good luck on your endeavor!!!

That Turkey Story fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 21, 2012

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Hi I'm a linguistic prescriptivist and I heard someone is misusing a phrase in this thread? Can we get a mod in here????

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Avenging Dentist posted:

Hi I'm a linguistic prescriptivist and I heard someone is misusing a phrase in this thread? Can we get a mod in here????

Our lovely forums software is running on mod_php, does that count

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa
Languages: C, C++, Obj-C, Java, Perl, Python
Frameworks: iOS/Android SDK, Django
Things you like to do: I've been working on a lot of mobile stuff lately, but I'm open to discussing anything.
Availability: I'm looking for a full-time internship during the summer.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

DotFortune posted:

Languages: C, C++, Obj-C, Java, Perl, Python
Frameworks: iOS/Android SDK, Django
Things you like to do: I've been working on a lot of mobile stuff lately, but I'm open to discussing anything.
Availability: I'm looking for a full-time internship during the summer.

Are you still in college? If so, have you considered applying for an internship at Microsoft? Don't worry if you're not a 4.0 GPA student - if you've done a lot of stuff in your spare time they'd certainly let you in for that. They're on the lookout for people with good C++ skills (and your platform experience is irrelevant, honest!) so give it a shot.

Hoborg fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 28, 2012

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Languages: C, C#, Assembler, Java, Javascript, CSS, HTML
Frameworks: .NET, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery, EF, Jurassic
Things you like to do: Web applications, Embedded Systems, Utilities
Availability: ~20h/p.w.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Any australians (anywhere, its work from your mothers-basement stuff) up for iphone & web dev?

Buzz me, I have metric tonne of work for you.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

duck monster posted:

Buzz me, I have metric tonne of work for you.

Can you contact me on the above (if it's applicable)? I don't have platinum.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Huragok posted:

Can you contact me on the above (if it's applicable)? I don't have platinum.

Have you a mac and can you program iphone apps.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

duck monster posted:

Have you a mac and can you program iphone apps.

Yes on the former, kinda on the latter. I thought you were saying iPhone and/or web dev, not iPhone and web dev. If that's the case then I'm probably not your guy.

Ration
Dec 3, 2005

My mile could not pump the plumb
This is not me, but I figured that I could get a goon some work.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/sof/2836148759.html

quote:

I have a list of companies on the stock market, with their abbreviations. I need to be able to have this software inside my computer so I can click on it and it will show me activity of the stocks, including current price, opening price, volume, normal volume, and perhaps other info for each company. An example would be:

Company #1 abbreviation(with name) -current price -opening price-volume today-average volume-perhaps other info..
#2 etc
#3 etc
etc. ......................................

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Huragok posted:

Yes on the former, kinda on the latter. I thought you were saying iPhone and/or web dev, not iPhone and web dev. If that's the case then I'm probably not your guy.

90% iphone wor sorry.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Great post on salary negotiation - I'm in the middle of fielding 3 offers and this has been really helpful.

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa

Hoborg posted:

Are you still in college? If so, have you considered applying for an internship at Microsoft? Don't worry if you're not a 4.0 GPA student - if you've done a lot of stuff in your spare time they'd certainly let you in for that. They're on the lookout for people with good C++ skills (and your platform experience is irrelevant, honest!) so give it a shot.

Well, I just got an offer with them so that's pretty cool :shobon:

Thock
Apr 13, 2003
Well, Fuck.
I've got two openings in the OC area in California. Full time, perm positions.

2x iOS Developers
2x Web Developers

We're looking for people who've got experience with SDLC stuff in general, and aren't totally green, but for a good candidate we'd look the other way and do training on the job.

We're specifically looking for (on the iOS side):
At least 1 'shipped' application in the store, being involved with the team or individually is fine, but you'd be expected to be familiar with unit testing, compiling, packaging and uploading your binaries to the store.

On the web side:
Experience with Python (2.7), node.js (0.6+), connect. We're pretty heavily investing in the web side of things right now, and we're doing a lot of cool poo poo with websockets, so cursory knowledge of the protocol and how to interface with them would be a nice bonus. The web developers we intend to hire would be able to hit the ground running on working out their own javascript, html, and css, and write relatively bug free code without having to hit google every other line.

Pay is great, Location couldn't be better (right in downtown orange, ca.) Tight knit team, we usually go out for drinks or dinner on a regular basis.

email (sajobs@tvplus.com) or PM, either works.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.
Cross posted from the job fair thread...

Marketing agency in Tampa, FL is in need of a senior dev.

Who We Are

We are 22squared, a marketing agency with offices in Tampa and Atlanta working with several brands in the digital and traditional space. We need a senior developer in Tampa who can give guidance on technical capabilities, and develop web/mobile applications. There are about 100 people in the Tampa office and you would be the only developer here. We have 4.5 other developers in Atlanta who you would work with remotely occasionally, and report to the Tech Director there (he is the .5, slacking off in meetings half the time).

What We're Looking For

I could give a whole list of technologies you should know, but frankly if you are worth your salt, you should be able to pickup whatever we throw at you. The only requirements are HTML/CSS/JS proficiency, and knowing PHP and/or Flash would make you fit in the easiest, but not required; I am .Net guy and I fit in just fine for reference. We are working on trying to get rid of technology religion in the office as much as possible; frameworks/languages are a toolbox, and you use the right tool for the job. So if you have ever said "I would NEVER use .Net because it's Microsoft" or "Why would I ever use anything but wordpress?" (swapping .Net or wordpress with any other tech) then this is probably not the best place for you. Preferences are fine, blind faith is not. What we will need, possibly more than anything else, is be able to communicate to our creatives what our tech capabilities are, and opportunities they may have missed, in a clear and constructive manner. Can't stress it enough, being able to communicate clearly with those technical and non technical alike is a big part of this job. You should be familiar with social APIs, and be exciting about building things that connect brands with users.

You will be technically be the only dev in this office, but certainly not working alone; believe me when I say that everyone here can't wait to work with the guy who knows how to develop.

What Else?

There is beer stocked in the fridge daily. There is no dress code. And finding something new and shiny that we could use on a new app that could be the new hip thing, or is a complete bust is fully encouraged. If you don't know a few dirty jokes that would make your mother blush, then you may have trouble fitting in. You WILL be given time to play with whatever new thing you are interested in, and not using it is frowned upon. You must like having a little hectic in your schedule, and a big appreciation for creative executions even if it isn't in your skill set. You must be able to take direction remotely and still work collaboratively.

Benefits are pretty standard (401K, dental, medical, vision, etc) and you will be paid based on your skill level. Note that we are not skimping on this position; we feel it is very vital so you will have to prove you have the experience and capabilities to handle it. I don't care if you went to college or not, or have a PHD in 12th century French literature. If you like to build things, are curious almost to a fault, and can demonstrate your clout as a dev, then we want to talk to you. Get in touch and we can talk more about your day to day, or any other questions you may have.

We are also able to work with you on relocation if needed. Like I said, we want the right person for this job and willing to pay for it.

How Do I Apply?

PM, or respond to this thread with a way to get in touch.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

e: actually scratch that. sorry.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 1, 2012

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
I'm looking for someone who can create a relatively simple robust system for printing all e-mails sent to a certain address including their attachments into TIFF files.

Right now we have an outlook addin running on a dedicated machine which prints messages and attachments to a commercial TIFF printer driver. The problem we run into is PDFs need to be printed through Reader which craps out a lot as adobe products do. Or a built in print routine which fucks up in more ways than I can count. Add to that any automated solution which relies on outlook is pretty silly.

It looks like this could be a relatively powershell friendly task using some commerical product like mail.dll and pdfcreator, but I'm not against running a linux vm under esx to handle the process either.

Anyway I've thrown together an informal requirements doc. If you're bored and can give a quote let me know, or want to talk about it PM me and I'll give you my work e-mail. We don't have a huge budget, but I don't see it being as incredibly complicated either.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/78538/Mail%20Processing%20Anonymized.pdf

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cross post from the iOS thread b/c I don't know how to internet:

I'm looking for some iOS/Android app developers to add to my company's rolodex. We're a Washington, DC based design firm that sometimes dabbles in app design but not development. When a client comes to us with an idea about half the time we'll consult on/do some design and partner up with a developer, and the rest of the time we just pass it along to a developer if we feel it's totally out of our scope.

We need someone who's established / has a solid portfolio of work / is extremely professional / etc etc. We don't want to refer clients to some sperg-stoner who's going to miss deadlines and suck. Oh, and we always get real budgets for our projects... we're not going to spam your inbox with crappy stuff like, "I have this idea for this thing that's kinda like Facebook... I have $500." :) Or, if we have absolutely no idea how a project should be priced, we'll ask you for a quote.

We have a project coming along right now that would have a big video section, so experience there would be handy.

PM me your info (website / email / who we should get in touch with) if you work someplace I should know about! Danku in advance, goonygoons.

avidal
May 19, 2006
bawl-some
Looking for 2 devs for full time on-site work in Austin, TX.

I work for a home security company in north Austin, TX; and we're looking to hire two more developers. Most of my team's work is internal web-based projects using Python and Django, although we aren't locked into any particular tech. There is little red-tape and bureaucracy to go through so we get to use whatever we need to get the job done. Our IT department is treated as a first-class citizen instead of a bunch of lay-abouts that can't get the job done with what they have.

There are 3 of us currently, but we aren't some mix of help desk and developers, we have an actual help desk so no worries!

We have standard health, dental, and life insurance as well as a 401k with matching contributions. Paid vacations and I'm trying to get us DjangoCon or PyCon tickets for next year.

PM me or email alex [dot] vidal at gmail.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

cross-post from SHSC job-fair

We're looking for a Rails and Javascript/jQuery programmer who wants to create new, fun, and exciting interactive web site. Quick learner, proactive, attention to detail, blah blah.

Who we are: A health media company
Location: Midland, Michigan (2 hours north of Detroit. No crime)
What we do: Interactive wellness websites
When: Now!

Requirements:
Write amazing front-end code using HTML, CSS and JavaScript (jQuery)
Write beautiful server-side code to support your front-end
Ensure that your code supports multiple platforms, ranging from Internet Explorer to the latest Android tablet
Contribute new ideas to improve our technologies, processes, and products

Android and iOS app experience is a plus but not required.

We have a mixture of Mac, Linux, and Windows machines so we'll buy you whatever you're comfortable with. We have a brand-new office and there are 6 other developers, a team of graphics designers and writers, so you just do coding you won't have to worry about art, layouts, content, etc.

If you don't know Rails or Javascript, we'll still consider you. You just need to show us you can work in Java, PHP, Python or whatever, and be willing to learn.

email: robvas@gmail.com

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 15, 2012

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.
I'm looking to relocate to Pittsburgh from NJ come late July/early August (a bit sooner if needed, like mid July). Come July I'll have two years professional experience, so I'm ideally looking for a Junior Developer position. Thus far I'm more experienced with .NET and C#, but I'm willing to learn.

Languages: C#, SQL, Java, Python, Ruby, CSS, HTML, Javascript
Frameworks: .NET, .NET MVC, jQuery, minimal exposure to Rails, some projects for fun in XNA
Things you like to do: Web applications, but I'm open to anything
Availability: Full time
Contact: PM me or email at tony dot perriello at gmail dot com.

I have a GitHub (https://github.com/tonype), and I also have a resume available upon request.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

So this is a shot in the dark, but does anyone know about any entry level jobs/internships around Pittsburgh, PA? I'm still working on my degree but I have to drop down to part time due to financial aid issues stemming from losing some semesters to withdrawals/resignations from health issues.

e: basically I want to get a job a) for some experience and b) to be able to afford to finish my degree.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I'm always happy to funnel Pittsburgh people towards GD Viz, which is where I worked for a few years out of school. Their office is in the South Side Works, right on East Carson. It's really interesting technology worked on by some great people with a fabulous commitment to HCI. They are a defense contractor, but they make situational-awareness software, not weapons systems or anything in that space.

It looks like they have both intern and junior-level positions available.

ETA: Also, LAY, you should definitely talk to the advisor(s) in your department if you haven't already. They sometimes have a lot of flexibility in helping students out in your kind of situation; failing that, they may have more leads on internships and part-time jobs; if all else fails, it's not too unlikely that someone will check up with them about a student, so making sure they understand your predicament can be pretty key.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 16, 2012

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Look Around You posted:

So this is a shot in the dark, but does anyone know about any entry level jobs/internships around Pittsburgh, PA? I'm still working on my degree but I have to drop down to part time due to financial aid issues stemming from losing some semesters to withdrawals/resignations from health issues.

e: basically I want to get a job a) for some experience and b) to be able to afford to finish my degree.

I'v been looking into moving to the area too, but it seems most of the "jobs" in the area on indeed, pghtech.org, dice and so on are with IT contracting groups like Kforce, ITPI, Randstad and others.

I've gotten a few phone interviews but no big bites so far.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Look Around You posted:

Basically this, but for Philadelphia. I know I can do iOS/Python work (where I feel I'd maybe like to be) if I had the time and permission to focus on learning, but I don't feel like there are any companies that want to do that. I feel like I'm under so much pressure because I screwed up in school once before and want another chance, but I can't really afford to go, and working/life things take up a lot of my time. I'm going to have to find a full-time position soon, most likely, and I'll lose even more time out of of my days in which I could be learning otherwise if a place would give me a chance. :( I'd even move if it had me at some place for a year or so, but I really want to stay close to home. The pressure just takes such a toll on me that it doesn't help my mindset for focusing on one particular thing in the first place.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Look Around You posted:

I had a friend who worked at showclix here in Pittsburgh while working on school. They're a pretty awesome bunch, and they are currently hiring an entry level software position. So they could be a good place to send your resume out to if you are knowledgeable about building web apps with PHP (even if you aren't you can easily learn this quickly).

Deeplocal, where I used to work, is currently looking for a summer intern (according to their site). They're an interesting bunch that work on a variety of projects which could get your skills up in a bunch of different areas quickly. Even if you don't want a summer internship there it's worth it to try to go to waffle wednesdays to network with some of the local tech companies.

On that note you should probably try to make it to one of the Open Coffee Club events to talk to some companies.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
<position filled>

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 4, 2012

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
I'm cross-posting my listing from the other thread (wasn't aware of this one until a few days ago).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post400985548

We are still looking to fill both positions.

Griffith86
Jun 19, 2008

Fastbreak posted:

How Do I Apply?

PM, or respond to this thread with a way to get in touch.

Throw me an email at jerry@bellewdesign.com I'd like to know more.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.

Griffith86 posted:

Throw me an email at jerry@bellewdesign.com I'd like to know more.

Sent!

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Throwing my hat in the ring now, as my contract just ended with a business here in Austin. Looking to stay here in the Austin, TX area but am looking to move onto something other than ActionScript/Flash projects. My last big job was working as a UI Programmer on the Sims 3/Sims 3 Pets on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Languages: ActionScript, CSS, HTML (5), JavaScript, Objective-C, and a little bit of PHP/MySQL to get by
Frameworks: jQuery, Cocoa, Box2D, and probably every ActionScript framework out there
Things you like to do: Mobile or Web apps, e-learning software is a reoccurring trend for me
Availability: Full time

Just for fun, here's a small HTML5 MP3 Player I made over the weekend: http://www.incredibleh.com. Not compatible with Firefox yet since I don't have ogg versions of the tracks, but it was a fun little experiment.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I am in need of someone who can program actionscript 3.0 and Javascript. I have a charity's app in development (as3) and need to link it to the donations site Justgiving's java API. I probably only need a couple of hours work in total as the rest of the code and design I can handle.

PM or email me reid at moneyspiderdesign.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm looking for someone affordable to finish off a half done wordpress template cutup after my clients useless oDesk contractor ran off with the cash and didnt finish the job.

PM me for details. Its not too hard, but it needs to be affordable. We can discuss the definition of "affordable" in PM. If your good some better paid work will be coming to you after that the client hasnt premised on cutting labor-cost corners. (We have a bunch of stuff racked up, so someone whos regularly available can make some decent coin of this)

• Locked thread