Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Vintersorg posted:

I've only seen City of Angels since it really felt like a true sequel plus it has one hell of a loving soundtrack. Haven't seen the others but they are more than likely pure poo poo. (I have seen #1, who hasn't? It's a part of most of our teenage angst years)

Someone referenced it in the Worst Movies You Have Ever Seen Thread as the worst 90's anti-drug PSA they'd ever seen and I almost poo poo my pants. Great film, but it's a goddamn shame that Alex Proyas made 2 utterly awesome movies then churned out crap fests like I, Robot & Knowing.

Related:

Not too shabby for floating heads...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah, as much as I still have a soft spot for the first Crow film, calling any of them out for being "emo" pretty laughable, because they're all pretty loving emo. At least Lee looked like he was about to murder pretty much everyone as well though.

Professor Clumsy posted:

Never use this image host, they have NWS pop-ups.
Which one is/was it?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dillbag posted:

Blurgh, this looks like the box art for a video card.

e: specifically the font, floaty heads and brushed steel colour scheme.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 8, 2012

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Desperado Bones posted:

I had to go and look for more of emo-crow. I can't stop laughing! Look at his face!

~*ANGST*~

This is why we need Adam Lambert to be a fabulous Crow and the whole show to be formatted after Rupaul's Drag Race :smug:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, as much as I still have a soft spot for the first Crow film, calling any of them out for being "emo" pretty laughable, because they're all pretty loving emo. At least Lee looked like he was about to murder pretty much everyone as well though.

Which one is/was it?

Yeah, Brandon Lee's Crow had more of a "I'm a loving badass". The one I posted is killing me because of the mighty pout he has.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Dillbag posted:

The big face isn't even floating for the purpose of the poster design, it's just a pretty accurate representation of what's actually in the movie...

But why did a Cover for Dark City have to be so... white?
I know it's the new "cool" color, but it just doesn't fit very well.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ugh, who knew that John Connor could fall so far. And give that cover some points for having the most literal, robotic tagline ever.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Isn't he crazy or something?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Vagabundo posted:

Isn't he crazy or something?

Crazy for cocaine, yeah. His wiki photo leads me to believe he's slowly morphing into Bobcat Goldthwait.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

penismightier posted:

I've never seen The Crow,

You should rectify this. The first Crow is really badass kind of in the vein of, oh, the first Blade. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The sequels are an abomination.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kiimo posted:

You should rectify this. The first Crow is really badass kind of in the vein of, oh, the first Blade. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As someone who loves Proyas' output (including I Robot and Kn0wing) The Crow is worth watching just to see him in his early years. It's a decent movie in its own right, if you can divorce it from all the Hot Topic-isms it inspired.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

kiimo posted:

Well, I do like Blade. And the sequels have Thomas Jane, Mia Kirschner, Iggy Pop, Kirsten Dunst, and Edward Furlong. And they're all on Netflix.

Maybe it's time for a Crow-a-thon?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

penismightier posted:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Not at all. Watch the first one, pretend the rest never happened. Unless you really like watching lovely movies.

Although that said I don't have any particularly negative memories of the TV series.... not any particularly positive ones either, although Mark Dacascos seems a pretty reasonable replacement for Brandon Lee.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

penismightier posted:

Well, I do like Blade. And the sequels have Thomas Jane, Mia Kirschner, Iggy Pop, Kirsten Dunst, and Edward Furlong. And they're all on Netflix.

You forgot Dennis Hopper just completely chewing the scenery.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Plus The Crow has music like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyr5WdrEvGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhCWvBwpsJY

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is the reboot with Bradley Cooper still happening?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Let me do a little imitation for you.

caw caw caw

BANGFUCKimdead

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Are we still on Crow chat? Because I will defend Wicked Prayer as being the funniest movie I saw the entire year it came out until the death. It has David Boreanaz in a post-Angel/pre-Bones career slump, and he just had no fucks to give, at all. He over acts in every single scene he's in, chewing scenery on the same level as Nic Cage at times. He screams "hurry up and make me the loving anti-christ!" at the top of his lungs at one point.

And it has Dennis Hopper as a satanic priest who talks exclusively in 70's jive.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Is it for Rampart? The only think I know about that movie is the PR misstep of trying to promote it through a Q&A session at Reddit.
Could you elaborate please? I know a bit about the movie (it's about an rear end in a top hat cop, right?) and I'm really interested in that whole reddit thing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vincent posted:

Could you elaborate please? I know a bit about the movie (it's about an rear end in a top hat cop, right?) and I'm really interested in that whole reddit thing.

Woody Harrelson announced on Twitter that he will hold an AMA (Ask Me Anything) session at Reddit. An AMA is basically like the Ask threads in Ask/Tell, where the redditors can ask the person holding it anything. Celebrities have participated before (here's one Ali Larter did). Surprisingly, knowing Reddit's reputation, some pretty good questions do get asked.

Woody Harrelson's session did not go well. Even ignoring the 'did you deflower a girl' question, everything he answers is either twisted to be about Rampart or very vague. He did not even stay there long.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I liked the third Crow movie.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Seeing John Cena in that Fred poster reminded of another of his movies.

I'm fairly sure that there are at least 2 or 3 other movies that basically that same layout for their posters but I can't remember them right now.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Similar, I can't remember what was the other movie. But I know there's another one out there.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I could've sworn 16 Blocks had a cover with a similar layout but I can't find it. So I'm probably wrong.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

penismightier posted:

Keep in mind that even the first Crow is not really all that good. It's extremely 90s angst/goth. I'm not trying to open a can of worms or anything, but I don't think it's very much like Blade at all. It's well put together for what it is, and has some great scenes, but I think it only really worked for the time it came out. Watching it for the first time now might not be a very good experience.

Just get ready for Hot Topic the movie. And yeah, never watch the sequels. They're absolutely horrible, and not in a fun way.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I could've sworn 16 Blocks had a cover with a similar layout but I can't find it. So I'm probably wrong.

That was the first thing I looked for too. Must be the typeface.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

thrawn527 posted:

Keep in mind that even the first Crow is not really all that good. It's extremely 90s angst/goth. I'm not trying to open a can of worms or anything, but I don't think it's very much like Blade at all. It's well put together for what it is, and has some great scenes, but I think it only really worked for the time it came out. Watching it for the first time now might not be a very good experience.

I agree with this. Saw it for the first time two or three years ago and it doesn't really hold up.

e: I'd add my reasons why to this post but I can hardly remember anything from that movie.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 8, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Yeah so The Crow is loving awful. It's like Spawn but somehow worse. Still might see the third one to satisfy my Dunst-love.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

penismightier posted:

Yeah so The Crow is loving awful. It's like Spawn but somehow worse. Still might see the third one to satisfy my Dunst-love.

Sorry my warning came too late.

edit: You have no idea how bad the third one is.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 8, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Screw you guys, The Crow is pretty drat awesome.

Ernie Hudson makes any movie great.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

God damnit.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I like how it is just a stock publicity photo of John Cena on the cover. At least get one of him wearing a shirt. Unless he is actually shirtless throughout the movie, that would at least be kinda amusing.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrBling posted:

I like how it is just a stock publicity photo of John Cena on the cover. At least get one of him wearing a shirt. Unless he is actually shirtless throughout the movie, that would at least be kinda amusing.

I know through the Onion AV Club review that John Cena is Fred's imaginary dad (he's fatherless and his mom is a neglectful alcoholic) so he pretty much plays himself, running around shirtless and beating the kid up while giving fatherly wisdom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gwVU3exQms

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Blurgh, this looks like the box art for a video card.

e: specifically the font, floaty heads and brushed steel colour scheme.

Have you seen Dark City? Legitimate question. Maybe I'm just willing to give it a pass because its desire to look "late 90s wicked cool" is done really well in the movie. I see what you mean though with video card font and flashy lights.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

MrBling posted:

I feel like having a shirtless John Cena is probably the biggest draw this movie has for its demographic.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

penismightier posted:

Haha I was thinking about this last night after I recommended it. I was thinking, you know, I haven't actually SEEN the Crow since I was 17 in 1994. I wonder if I should have been so hasty?

Still stand by the soundtrack though.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Mister Chief posted:

Ariel Winter should get a new agent. Seriously. Modern Family has been a huge hit for nearly three seasons now, and she ends up in poo poo like this or "The Chaperone".

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

Ariel Winter should get a new agent. Seriously. Modern Family has been a huge hit for nearly three seasons now, and she ends up in poo poo like this or "The Chaperone".

Is she the youngest daughter? Cause I can totally understand her not getting good roles considering she is the least funny part about the show and is just a huge downer in every scene she is in, she's like a second rate Lisa Simpson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just want to chime in on the Crow. The stuff takes a huge nose dive in quality with each sequal. The first one I love (nostalgia and whatnot) but it does have it's issues (namely Sarah who is just loving annoying). However, there are some really awesome bad rear end scenes in it, and seeing how Lee takes out each henchman is awesome. The thing that really makes the movie though is that despite it's sleekness it is still rough around the edges. The colours aren't just black but red in the background too. That kind of thing.
Each movie afterwards just sucks. They try to get more angsty, more edgy and more stupid. Then there is the TV show which was exactly like the first movie except for the whole Crow murders the people who wronged him thing (so it was pretty much the movie without the edginess and badassness and it was filmed in Vancover).