Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
http://www.bgr.com/2012/02/07/verizon-wireless-droid-razr-bogo/

Looks like Droid 4 is Friday, as well as the return of double data. This is good since the power button on my Droid 2 has died, so I can make a decision this week on the 4 against the Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Guess I get to be at my local Verizon store first thing on Friday morning, then!

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose
So after trying every single leaked radio and radio hybrid packages I could find on Xda, I ended up re-locking and flashed back to stock to exchange my phone.

I guess my first Gnex was a lemon because my new one is sucking on some sweet LTE nectar finally. The new phone had the same exact hardware revision (.10). So hopefully everyone having the issue I was is within their 14-day return policy so they can try and swap their phones.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

WeaselWeaz posted:

Also, we get it. You hate anything that isn't stock or unlocked.
And you don’t? Serious question.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

kalibar posted:

It's $100 on Amazon. Heck, you can get one for $310-350 straight up on craigslist in my area.

I've called you out on this before. Carrier store pricing != market value.

Where exactly are you seeing that price? I searched craig's list here in Seattle and lowest I see is $500. Searched a few other cities too.

I'm having a lot of issues with connection with my Nexus. While I do like it a lot, it's kind of getting in the way of things. When it works it is great. However, a few places like the coffeeshop I go to all the time and my work, it just doesn't work. My 14 days are almost up, I'm thinking about returning for an iphone to use until things stabilize. Then I can flip that and it should be more than enough cash for a nexus if they truly are that cheap. Right?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

kalibar posted:

And you don’t? Serious question.

I probably prefer stock, but it's not a priority. Ultimately, I understand and accept why custom UI's exist and I'm not willing to only ever have one phone to pick from. I drat sure don't have the blistering, off-putting hate that you have towards non-stock.

Unlocked bootloaders are nice. I loved my Droid, although I really only loaded ROMs to get updates faster even though I didn't need them. With my Thunderbolt I've had cool ROM choices but, ultimately, it's a poor phone that started off with problems and at this point I'd rather have something that doesn't need as much managing. The Nexus is not a stable phone based on many reports, and I would expect Google to fix many issues (although I thought the Nexus S still has many of the flaws the Galaxy S does).

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

The Nexus is not a stable phone based on many reports, and I would expect Google to fix many issues (although I thought the Nexus S still has many of the flaws the Galaxy S does).

What reports are those? There might be some reports of instability but there are also a lot of people with 0 problems. Saying it's not a stable phone is not really entirely true. Though there are a couple of issues with the phone, that can't really be denied.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Our two Galaxy Nexii are very stable. Running CM9. I only got to use 4g once, because we don't live in a 4g area but when I was in a 4g area it worked fine.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004
We finally took the plunge and purchased an iPhone for my wife and had it activated at a local Verizon store - despite their assurances that we would only see a bill increase for the data plan/insurance our bill has increased by almost $80. The wife asked me to look at the bill, but I'm having a difficult time understanding all the additional charges - does someone mind breaking this down for me? I see a charge for TXT messaging, but we have a family plan that includes TXTing - does having an iPhone preclude one from simply using the shared TXT plan?

code:

Line Access 02/04 - 03/03
$9.99
Data Package 25MB-Email Refund 01/07 - 02/03
-$9.02
9.99/mo / 28 days refunded
Data Package/2GB 01/07 - 02/03
$27.10
30.00/mo / 28 days on new plan
Data Package/2GB 02/04 - 03/03 (month in advance)
$30.00
1000 Message Allowance 01/07 - 02/03
$9.03
10.00/mo / 28 days on new service
1000 Message Allowance 02/04 - 03/03 (month in advance)
$10.00
250 MSG Camera $5 - Refund 01/07 - 02/03
-$4.52
5.00/mo / 28 days refunded
TEC Asurion $9.99 - Asurion 01/07 - 02/03
$9.02
9.99/mo / 28 days on new service
TEC Asurion $9.99 - Asurion 02/04 - 03/03 (month in advance)
$9.99

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, for starters you're being charged for one month plus most of a second month which was prorated. If you look at *just* the stuff for one month, it comes out to $59.98 ($9.99+30+10+9.99). If you're on a family plan, you should be able to share texts. The iPhone isn't unique in that and you should call Verizon immediately and have it fixed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ihafarm posted:

We finally took the plunge and purchased an iPhone for my wife and had it activated at a local Verizon store - despite their assurances that we would only see a bill increase for the data plan/insurance our bill has increased by almost $80. The wife asked me to look at the bill, but I'm having a difficult time understanding all the additional charges - does someone mind breaking this down for me? I see a charge for TXT messaging, but we have a family plan that includes TXTing - does having an iPhone preclude one from simply using the shared TXT plan?

code:

Line Access 02/04 - 03/03
$9.99
Data Package 25MB-Email Refund 01/07 - 02/03
-$9.02
9.99/mo / 28 days refunded
Data Package/2GB 01/07 - 02/03
$27.10
30.00/mo / 28 days on new plan
Data Package/2GB 02/04 - 03/03 (month in advance)
$30.00
1000 Message Allowance 01/07 - 02/03
$9.03
10.00/mo / 28 days on new service
1000 Message Allowance 02/04 - 03/03 (month in advance)
$10.00
250 MSG Camera $5 - Refund 01/07 - 02/03
-$4.52
5.00/mo / 28 days refunded
TEC Asurion $9.99 - Asurion 01/07 - 02/03
$9.02
9.99/mo / 28 days on new service
TEC Asurion $9.99 - Asurion 02/04 - 03/03 (month in advance)
$9.99

If your bill cuts on January 1st, and you add a data plan on January 2nd, on the next bill you will be billed for the month in advance plus the time between jan 2 and the new bill.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Got my shipment of D4s in...We haven't been told NOT to sell them so we are selling them. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mighty Horse posted:

Got my shipment of D4s in...We haven't been told NOT to sell them so we are selling them. :)

!

Should I call my local Verizon store and see if they will sell me one?

vv I've got grandfathered unlimited, so I could care less about that part. ;)

Edit: Called anyways, apparently they haven't gotten shipment in yet. Rats. Oh well, it's only until Friday, I can wait... :ohdear:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 7, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ah, but the Double Data doesn't start until Friday, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Couple things right now.

a) Razrs (both normal and MAXX) are also going bogo starting friday so that may interest some people

b) Razr update for both versions was supposed to be starting slow roll a day or so ago.

c) A new bionic soak test is starting right onw

I really have to hand it to Motorola recently. The Razr is on its 2nd update since introduction and I believe the Bionic is now on it's 3rd with stability and battery life going up with each update. They really seem committed to refining these handsets and having back to back patches coming out within weeks of each other is pretty impressive.

Honestly, the Razr has been seeing better update turnaround since introduction than the Galaxy Nexus at this point. Motorola also seems to be keeping both Razr models on the same software which lends credence to the fact that they are literally the same device with different battery sizes. This should help the modding community greatly.

CM9 on the Razr MAXX honestly sounds like a dream device.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 7, 2012

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, the Razr has been seeing better update turnaround since introduction than the Galaxy Nexus at this point.

Galaxy Nexus got an update before it was even released :colbert: But that is awesome, relatively stock-ish Blur and quick updates! As long as they keep up with the AMOLEDs, I may have to jump off my Samsung bandwagon.

Edit:

bull3964 posted:

This would be pretty good, but better screen would be nice. Razr Maxx HD with CM9! How's the camera, by the way? Judging by reviews, it sounds like ok but not great, a la the Nexus.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 7, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, the Razr has been seeing better update turnaround since introduction than the Galaxy Nexus at this point.
It's definitely a good thing that Motorola is able to push updates through relatively quickly (since this seems to be a particularly difficult point for other OEMs), but I'm not sure the situation with the GNex is directly comparable. The Razr still runs GB which is a stable/established platform on Motorola (LTE) devices. Whereas the GNex is running a new software platform for everyone involved, and so there's bound to be more road bumps.

In other words, let's see how Motorola handles the ICS update, both in terms of timeliness of a released update, and the general quality of said update/timeliness of bug fixes.

bull3964 posted:

How's the unlocked bootloader coming? :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How's the unlocked bootloader coming? :(

It hasn't stopped people from using custom ROMs so far on Motorola devices.

Fortunately, there hasn't been much kernel patching necessary for Motorola.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Fortunately, there hasn't been much kernel patching necessary for Motorola.
Except that ICS breaks a number of userspace-kernel APIs used in GB and earlier. Namely touchscreen foo and the entire USB gadget stack.

CM9 had put in a good deal of work to make legacy adapters to support the old APIs for devices with no obvious kernel upgrade paths (or in the case of Motorola, no upgrades period). But these adapters aren't bug free yet and generally make the porting effort a lot more difficult than it should be, sadly.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I am using a Droid X right now, of which the screen is scratched, the camera stopped working, the battery life is pretty lovely, etc. My actual phone number isn't due for an upgrade in a while, but I have a couple of numbers on my family plan that will be.

I have been oogling over the Gnexus since it was announced. This double data looks pretty sweet, as it is my understanding my current unlimited 3g plan will now go away (which sucks.)

I noticed Best Buy has a promotion going on right now for a $50 card if you upgrade there:

https://www-ssl.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17413&type=page&DCMP=rdr17341

Does anyone have experience upgrading at Best Buy? I am really indecisive when it comes to my phone, for some reason. $200 for a Gnex sounds nice, though. Am I correct in assuming I will lose out on the unlimited data plan? I don't mind keeping it and not going to 4G if that is an option, as stupid as that sounds.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Upgrading will not force you to tiered data.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Except that ICS breaks a number of userspace-kernel APIs used in GB and earlier. Namely touchscreen foo and the entire USB gadget stack.

CM9 had put in a good deal of work to make legacy adapters to support the old APIs for devices with no obvious kernel upgrade paths (or in the case of Motorola, no upgrades period). But these adapters aren't bug free yet and generally make the porting effort a lot more difficult than it should be, sadly.

Again though, it's all about results.

There are already functional CM9 ports for the Bionic and Razr and they are getting better all the time. I don't expect development to drop off on these devices either due to their popularity. The 3300mAh battery alone on the Razr is going to make it a VERY popular power user device and the regular Razr uses the exact same software. The Bionic is only slightly different from a HW perspective as well so a single port should be able to service all 3 devices at once.

I'm also really interested to see what happens once this "developer" version of the Razr is released. It may provide a starting point to make any Razr a development device. Unless they make some hardware change to make them incompatible, I would think just obtaining the fastboot recovery zip image for the dev phone and flashing it on to a Razr with RSDLite would be enough.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Again though, it's all about results.

There are already functional CM9 ports for the Bionic and Razr and they are getting better all the time. I don't expect development to drop off on these devices either due to their popularity. The 3300mAh battery alone on the Razr is going to make it a VERY popular power user device and the regular Razr uses the exact same software. The Bionic is only slightly different from a HW perspective as well so a single port should be able to service all 3 devices at once.

It's also about effort/reward ratio. This stuff would be done a lot sooner and with a lot less hassle if the developers didn't have to come up with so many ways of working around Motorola's bullshit.

bull3964 posted:

I'm also really interested to see what happens once this "developer" version of the Razr is released. It may provide a starting point to make any Razr a development device. Unless they make some hardware change to make them incompatible, I would think just obtaining the fastboot recovery zip image for the dev phone and flashing it on to a Razr with RSDLite would be enough.

Is it currently possible to flash GSM fastboot images on the LTE RAZR? Because there's been no sign of the development RAZR being released anywhere but Europe.

It's also hard to imagine that Motorola, after going to such ridiculous lengths to avoid unlocking the bootloaders on the phones that people have already bought, is going to make it easy to turn the release of the dev RAZR into an unlock method for existing phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Penguissimo posted:

Because there's been no sign of the development RAZR being released anywhere but Europe.

That's not true. Motorola said that a US release would be forthcoming as well.

Penguissimo posted:

It's also hard to imagine that Motorola, after going to such ridiculous lengths to avoid unlocking the bootloaders on the phones that people have already bought, is going to make it easy to turn the release of the dev RAZR into an unlock method for existing phones.

There's a very simple reason for that, warranty support. Giving a sanctioned way to unlocked bootloaders (like HTC) with the understanding that you wave your warranty may not be the way motorola legal wants to go. By buying the devleoper phone, you accept that you have no warranty from the start. If that image were to make it on to a non-developer phone, they can just say "this wasn't sanctioned at all, you're on your own." In short, it may not be about control in so much as distancing themselves legally.

If Motorola was really interested in putting a complete and utter block on the ROM community efforts, they would NAND lock their phones so the current tricks wouldn't work.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 8, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That's not true. Motorola said that a US release would be forthcoming as well.

My bad, I missed that in the initial press release. Still, it says "in the coming months", and we have no idea if/when that might be, nor whether it could mean an LTE phone in addition to an import of the GSM version.

bull3964 posted:

There's a very simple reason for that, warranty support. Giving a sanctioned way to unlocked bootloaders (like HTC) with the understanding that you wave your warranty may not be the way motorola legal wants to go. By buying the devleoper phone, you accept that you have no warranty from the start. If that image were to make it on to a non-developer phone, they can just say "this wasn't sanctioned at all, you're on your own." In short, it may not be about control in so much as distancing themselves legally.

I don't have any trouble understanding the warranty implications of this. I also understand how this policy is supposed to work, and that this is how Motorola's legal department wants to go, but I can still think it's a stupid decision. It certainly puts the lie to their "hey we'll try to start unlocking bootloaders by the end of 2011" promise that we're still waiting on. (Unless they consider this the fulfillment of that promise?)

Also, I might just be misreading Moto's words, but I have no idea how "no warranty, period" can possibly be legal in the EU, where a warranty is mandated by law. It seems like Moto's approach here would be a hell of a lot more of a legal mess than an HTC-like policy. What happens when your phone arrives DOA, or the headphone jack is loose, or the screen cracks internally after a few weeks due to design-induced stress?

bull3964 posted:

If Motorola was really interested in putting a complete and utter block on the ROM community efforts, they would NAND lock their phones so the current tricks wouldn't work.

Hasn't HTC been doing that for a while, with it being cracked every time? Honest question; I have no idea if a NAND lock is just an inherently flawed way of locking things down, or if HTC has just done a really half-assed job of implementing it.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I missed the first double data by a week and now I'm going to miss this one by less than a week? That sucks. :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Penguissimo posted:

Hasn't HTC been doing that for a while, with it being cracked every time? Honest question; I have no idea if a NAND lock is just an inherently flawed way of locking things down, or if HTC has just done a really half-assed job of implementing it.

I think all of the cracks involved getting a hold of engineering ROMs at some point.

No method is foolproof, I'm just saying they could make it a lot harder for everyone if they really wanted to.

I have a feeling at this point that someone spoke out of turn when they threw the whole "2011" thing out there initially. Then they put the carrier proviso on it so they could weasel out of it, but that's backfired as well.

Only Motorola knows why they are taking this stance. Maybe it has something to do with their other legal battles with Apple and Microsoft in some convoluted way? It's really hard to say at this point.

All I know is I hope the next Nexus is Motorola derived.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

bull3964 posted:

All I know is I hope the next Nexus is Motorola derived.
But how will they lock the bootloader???

EDIT: and charge extra for unlocking it

kbar fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 8, 2012

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Unless they make some hardware change to make them incompatible, I would think just obtaining the fastboot recovery zip image for the dev phone and flashing it on to a Razr with RSDLite would be enough.

It isn't. Someone found a RAZR with an unlocked bootloader and it was decided there was a hardware switch that it checked for to ensure it was meant to be unlocked. I forget the specifics, it just isn't as easy as "flash the other bootloader" like it was with the Thunderbolt.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

bull3964 posted:

a) Razrs (both normal and MAXX) are also going bogo starting friday so that may interest some people

Few questions on this:

1. any idea how long the sale is on for? I have 2 lines upgrading in a few weeks (march 1, march 14).
2. My wife used another lines upgrade this past spring for an LG android phone, can she use another upgrade to get in on this without paying for the phone she just got?
3. can you mix and match? she wants a purple razr and I want a razr maxx.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Cynode posted:

Few questions on this:

1. any idea how long the sale is on for? I have 2 lines upgrading in a few weeks (march 1, march 14).
2. My wife used another lines upgrade this past spring for an LG android phone, can she use another upgrade to get in on this without paying for the phone she just got?
3. can you mix and match? she wants a purple razr and I want a razr maxx.

1: Not sure, don't think an end-date has been published.

2: Yes.

3: Should be able to. I'll double check when I get to work tomorrow. Obviously if it worked this way the maxx is the one you'd pay for.

Btw I went 2.5 days on battery with my maxx. Really happy with my purchase.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Pizza Club posted:

I missed the first double data by a week and now I'm going to miss this one by less than a week? That sucks. :(

If you're on a regular 2GB plan, you should be able to sign up for the double-data deal, right?

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

If you're on a regular 2GB plan, you should be able to sign up for the double-data deal, right?

As long as you have 4G yes you can change to it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is the LTE network on the Fritz again in the DC area? I'm getting no data on 4G but 3G is fine.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

JayKay posted:

Is the LTE network on the Fritz again in the DC area? I'm getting no data on 4G but 3G is fine.

I'm not having an issue, worked fine this morning too.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I was about to ask if the 3G network is having any issues since I seem to have been stuck with minimum strength 1X all day around Tallahassee, but as I was typing this it came back.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

JayKay posted:

Works fine in Bethesda

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Mighty Horse posted:

No joy at my local Verizon store here in Houston. What are your initial impressions on the phone? Is it as quick and responsive as most of the video reviews have been showing?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Yeah its pretty snappy.

It really is just a Razr with a keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Mighty Horse posted:

Yeah its pretty snappy.

It really is just a Razr with a keyboard.

Yep, mine is just as fast as my RAZR and MAXX. Same CPU and memory and a little newer software version.

• Locked thread