Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Mighty Horse posted:

Yeah its pretty snappy.

It really is just a Razr with a keyboard.

That fact is why I'm baffled that Verizon is putting this phone out for only $200. Razr hardware with a keyboard added on? I'll give a hearty thumbs-up to that! The locked bootloader aspect is fairly lovely but it actually seems like, of all the skinned Androids, Motorola is actually shoving out the most stable stock build you could ever ask for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
I'm just hoping the D4 can do unlocked GSM roaming like the D3 and D2Global.

But I'm guessing we won't know that until someone tries it!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ProjektorBoy posted:

That fact is why I'm baffled that Verizon is putting this phone out for only $200. Razr hardware with a keyboard added on? I'll give a hearty thumbs-up to that! The locked bootloader aspect is fairly lovely but it actually seems like, of all the skinned Androids, Motorola is actually shoving out the most stable stock build you could ever ask for.

It's because they are omitting the SD card, leaving the phone with only 16gb storage.

They did the same thing with the Razr. When they dropped it to $199, they took out the SD card. Verizon's been doing this for awhile with their motorola phones. They'll launch at a higher price with more storage and then they will drop the price and remove some storage later on.

At some point, expect the Razr MAXX to drop to $199 (probably when the Razr HD launches or whatever it will be called) and expect them to nix the 16gb SD card out of that at the same time.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

ProjektorBoy posted:

It comes only with 16GB.

And the mighty Apple has been dictating the market prices for a while now.

That's the rationale these days and people go right along with it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Slashgear's photographer tryin' to be artistic with their Droid 4 unboxing

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A couple of questions for you more knowledgeable smart phone types:

What are some things that droid phones can do that an iphone cannot not? Limited to a stock configuration for someone that is not going to play around with roms or unlocking? Basically, open the box turn it on and go (including apps of course).

How difficult is it to migrate from an android phone to an iphone? Contact info, accessing your gmail, basic user stuff.

I'm considering doing an iphone for my parents to upgrade from their Droid 1. I don't like any of the current options in android for them. I have never owned an iphone though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Xguard86 posted:

What are some things that droid phones can do that an iphone cannot not? Limited to a stock configuration for someone that is not going to play around with roms or unlocking? Basically, open the box turn it on and go (including apps of course).
Off the top of my head ... widgets, screen customization, Amazon Cloud MP3 player, Google Music (iPhones kind of support it through a browser?). Free turn-by-turn navigation. And Flash, I suppose.

quote:

How difficult is it to migrate from an android phone to an iphone? Contact info, accessing your gmail, basic user stuff.
Piece of cake. Especially if their Droids already have contact info saved in Gmail. Literally a one-minute setup, with illustrated instructions on Google's web site.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Can someone explain the difference between Applecare+ and Verizon's insurance?

Verizon's looks *way* more expensive ($11/month*22 months=$242) than Applecare+ ($99). Verizon's covers total loss of the phone, including loss or theft, which Apple's does not. Verizon requires you to mail it away, which Apple does not (Apple Store is literally 5 minutes away from me). Verizon's replacement fee is $200 (for the 32GB), while Apple's is $50. Am I missing something here or is Verizon's plan a total rip off?? Short of being mugged or losing the phone (neither of which have happened to me( Please Take Care Of $600 Devices)), is there even a logical circumstance where Verizon's insurance is better?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Xguard86 posted:

I'm considering doing an iphone for my parents to upgrade from their Droid 1. I don't like any of the current options in android for them. I have never owned an iphone though.

If they're not very techy people, iPhone and Windows Phone are their absolute best bets. There is only one Windows Phone on Verizon though. It's free by now, but older technology (this doesn't mean slower, though). Parents probably wouldn't notice.

iPhone is probably a better bet, if they want to spend the extra money, because all of their friends probably have them, and it's easier to share apps or help each other.

Both ecosystems would be a tremendous step up in terms of ease of use/smoothness for your parents.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Xguard86 posted:

Not necessarily trying to talk you out of it, but would you be willing to go into more detail on your thinking?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Xguard86 posted:

A couple of questions for you more knowledgeable smart phone types:

Navigation without paying for it. Flash. Other than that they do the same stuff, really. And 4G.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Verizon's looks *way* more expensive ($11/month*22 months=$242) than Applecare+ ($99). Verizon's covers total loss of the phone, including loss or theft, which Apple's does not. Verizon requires you to mail it away, which Apple does not (Apple Store is literally 5 minutes away from me). Verizon's replacement fee is $200 (for the 32GB), while Apple's is $50. Am I missing something here or is Verizon's plan a total rip off?? Short of being mugged or losing the phone (neither of which have happened to me( Please Take Care Of $600 Devices)), is there even a logical circumstance where Verizon's insurance is better?

If you don't have an iPhone.

Mighty Horse posted:

Navigation without paying for it. Flash. Other than that they do the same stuff, really. And 4G.

The built-in Maps application sort of works, and there's a free MapQuest app available on the App Store that my mom uses on her phone. And mobile Flash is completely abandoned (and completely poo poo). Adobe isn't even developing it anymore. 4G is the only thing, and if your parents are like my parents, they don't care if their phone downloads at 3mbps or 9mbps as long as it works. Or, if they're willing to wait a while, Apple will probably release a 4G phone this summer/fall. I have friends that use Galaxy Nexus phones, and they're absolutely great devices, but I'd never suggest anything other than an iPhone for either of my parents or any of their friends.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Another thing to consider is if they're already invested in one ecosystem or another. If they're Mac users that use iCal and iTunes and Address Book and such, an iPhone is going to be drastically easier for them to set up and maintain.

If they're Gmail/Google Calendar/Google Music users, then Android would be the path of least resistance.

If neither of those apply, then ignore this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

maduin posted:

The built-in Maps application sort of works, and there's a free MapQuest app available on the App Store that my mom uses on her phone.
Last I looked the iOS MapQuest app did do turn-by-turn sort of, but it wasn't the GPS-style "view in front of you" thing that Google Navigation does very well.

Google Navigation is one of the out-of-the-box things that Android does very well. But I wouldn't tell someone to pick up an Android device based on that feature alone. I understand there's a plethora of paid iOS programs (both one time and subscription) that also do it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chupacabraTERROR posted:

If your iPhone malfunctions out of warranty, or you drop/dunk it and don't have AppleCare+, they will replace it for $200 at an Apple retail shop. Which coincidentally is the Verizon insurance deductible.

So buying Verizon's insurance is worse than doing nothing at all altogether, unless you live in East St Louis and are 100% confident you will you get robbed within the next two years.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My original plan was to upgrade my incredible and my parents Droid to gnex's since they pretty much understand stock Android at this point, but I don't want to give my parents a phone that has battery and connection issues since "is it reliable" is their top criteria, second is speed.

so I'm thinking gnex for me and either iphone or droid four for them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FWIW, my Galaxy Nexus has been a whole new phone since flashing to the leaked 4.0.4 update.

Data issues have disappeared. I haven't had an instance where it loses a cell connection completely while sitting idle. Battery use is much better as well.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

bull3964 posted:

Battery use is much better as well.

My battery life has been amazing. It's only been one day, but holy poo poo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I got this text today, then I opened MyVerizon on my phone.

Does this mean I can get a new device at the subsidized price or do I have to wait until April? I have unlimited data and I'd like to keep it.

I'll probably be waiting anyway as there's not really anything good other than the Nexus and I'm sure as hell not buying a Samsung Android phone.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Does this mean I can get a new device at the subsidized price or do I have to wait until April? I have unlimited data and I'd like to keep it.

I'll probably be waiting anyway as there's not really anything good other than the Nexus and I'm sure as hell not buying a Samsung Android phone.

Go to the Verizon website and see if you can check out an upgraded phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Yep, but you must do it from a verizon store or verizon website. Bestbuy/amazon/wirefly cannot see the advance upgrade date.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mark Larson posted:

Go to the Verizon website and see if you can check out an upgraded phone.

If I log in and pick "Upgrade Device," it shows "Upgrade at Discounted Price" and the prices appear to be what they would for a new 2-year contract. Yay.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Apparently my 4G issues happen to be localized to a tower issue near me. Oh well :(

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

You can get a new phone for the new/upgrade price + $20, but they are also giving you a $30 'special offer'. So really you get it for :10bux: less than the normal contract price.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

bull3964 posted:

FWIW, my Galaxy Nexus has been a whole new phone since flashing to the leaked 4.0.4 update.

Data issues have disappeared. I haven't had an instance where it loses a cell connection completely while sitting idle. Battery use is much better as well.

our update date is not until late Feb and I really want to like the gnex. If they actually get that update out officially I'll do double gnex in a heart beat.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Xguard86 posted:

our update date is not until late Feb and I really want to like the gnex. If they actually get that update out officially I'll do double gnex in a heart beat.

FWIW I got one in the beginning of january and have zero issue with it. It's run flawlessly, no data issues, no dropped calls, and battery life comparable to the HTC Incredible I had before (one day medium usage). ICS is extremely polished and runs flawlessly.

Sure, I've flashed 4.0.4. It just makes it run even smoother with even better battery life.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
With the recent kerfluffle between Google & Verizon resulting in Google not considering the Gnex a "Google Phone" anymore, is there still the expectation that 4.0.4 will be pushed to users in the near future?

My paranoid concern is that with Google saying it's not one of their "pure" devices any longer they won't be pushing it out, and without Verizon being on point to update these devices up to this point, they're behind in the game on this phone, meaning we won't see an update for weeks, if not months.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

wattershed posted:

With the recent kerfluffle between Google & Verizon resulting in Google not considering the Gnex a "Google Phone" anymore, is there still the expectation that 4.0.4 will be pushed to users in the near future?

My paranoid concern is that with Google saying it's not one of their "pure" devices any longer they won't be pushing it out, and without Verizon being on point to update these devices up to this point, they're behind in the game on this phone, meaning we won't see an update for weeks, if not months.

Read up on it. The Verizon GNex isn't "not a pure device any longer"; they just made some changes in the way CDMA telephony binaries are distributed. If you're stock then this change will have literally no effect whatsoever on your GNex ownership experience. And even the people it does affect (developers building from AOSP) will have to make the most minor of workflow alterations. The reason there was such a flare-up is that Google handled the situation in about the clumsiest possible way.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

wattershed posted:

You've been reading to much XDA. Google still supports the phone. Google has said none of those things and the recent change in CDMA devices has nothing to do with anything between Google and Verizon.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Codiusprime posted:

You've been reading to much XDA. Google still supports the phone. Google has said none of those things and the recent change in CDMA devices has nothing to do with anything between Google and Verizon.

I don't read xda...that was from The Verge, actually...good to know it's not a concern though, thanks guys.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

wattershed posted:

I don't read xda...that was from The Verge, actually...good to know it's not a concern though, thanks guys.

Good for you, XDA is pretty awful. The whole internet was freaking out for like half a day before someone actually thought to ask Google. The Verge is usually pretty good, can't believe they would claim it was the result of Google/Verizon BS as the Sprint Nexus S was affected to.

Also I apologize, my first response was kind of douchey in retrospect.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Verge ended up striking out the entire article.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I have my Droid 4.

THIS PHONE IS SO loving FAST HOLY poo poo. :science:

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Rastor posted:

The Verge ended up striking out the entire article.

Oh...that certainly explains things. I haven't seen such backtracking on a story in a long time.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Kyrosiris posted:

I have my Droid 4.

THIS PHONE IS SO loving FAST HOLY poo poo. :science:

It's also $150 for renewals/$100 for new customers on Amazon right now. Woo.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Matlock posted:

It's also $150 for renewals/$100 for new customers on Amazon right now. Woo.

I had my final New Every 2 and that $30 off flyer (they still honored it), so I walked out with it for $120. I'm in love with this thing, you have no idea. :swoon:

All I need now is a root solution so I can change the font to Roboto and reinstall SetCPU and all that jazz.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
I haven't had a chance to fool around with the droid 4 yet, but I am enjoying it's responsiveness. I was very tempted by the nexus, but decided that my stupid fat fingers didn't like touchscreen keyboards and went with the droid 4. Since I got the car dock I decided to get their foolish combo deal (screen protector, case, car dock, car charger and bluetooth headset) since I wanted at least 3 of those. I traded in my env2 to get that $30 credit though. The only thing I dislike so far is the sd card not being easy to remove.

Also, I had a new every two credit that would have worked in April, is that gone forever since I upgraded early? (I got bumped up back in August to be 4g eligible, but waited)

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Cozz posted:

I haven't had a chance to fool around with the droid 4 yet, but I am enjoying it's responsiveness. I was very tempted by the nexus, but decided that my stupid fat fingers didn't like touchscreen keyboards and went with the droid 4. Since I got the car dock I decided to get their foolish combo deal (screen protector, case, car dock, car charger and bluetooth headset) since I wanted at least 3 of those. I traded in my env2 to get that $30 credit though. The only thing I dislike so far is the sd card not being easy to remove.

Also, I had a new every two credit that would have worked in April, is that gone forever since I upgraded early? (I got bumped up back in August to be 4g eligible, but waited)

Yeah, you lost your NE2 credit.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Also, in case I missed it somewhere, you can indeed mix and match the razr bogo deal. If for whatever reason you decide you want the purple/white razr you can get it for free with the purchase of a maxx, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why would you ever not get the maxx.

• Locked thread