Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

dukeku posted:

Joel Sternfeld

Wish more people had quoted this because Sternfeld owns and this is one of my favorite pictures ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
nebojsa mladjenovic, he can be quite "experimental" at times but his latest project is inspired.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Really enjoyed this series by David Semeniuk.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Paul Shambroom

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder how many places in the world you could get a basketball court, a church, and a missile in the same frame.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xzzy posted:

I wonder how many places in the world you could get a basketball court, a church, and a missile in the same frame.

Quite a few, at least here in the south.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
Went to an Andreas Gursky exhibition yesterday, and I was floored! His pictures is SO impressive when you look at them in big and good c-prints. If you ever get a chance.. Also, his picture Rhine II (below), is the worlds most expensive picture!

Trivia: He sometime uses 300 pictures to make on single picture!

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.
Rhine II really doesn't impress me (maybe its better in person?) I still don't understand why it commanded such a high price. His other stuff is awesome though, I love the F1 pit stop photo.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I saw the original giant print comps of the F1 stuff and it left me completely cold. Aside from forcing comparison to tableaux vivant, there is almost nothing of substance there. It's supposed to be focused on the theatrical I suppose, but it just draws attention to the empty spectacle of the work.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Reichstag posted:

I saw the original giant print comps of the F1 stuff and it left me completely cold. Aside from forcing comparison to tableaux vivant, there is almost nothing of substance there. It's supposed to be focused on the theatrical I suppose, but it just draws attention to the empty spectacle of the work.

I guess I don't speak "art" but I have no clue what you're saying. Could you explain it to me like I'm five? I'm actively learning some art history and works I should know and I'm struggling to understand a lot of it without having someone that can explain it.

I don't get the first image at all. I don't dislike it, it's just completely flat and boring to me. The F1 shot is fascinating and looks like it had to have been staged, but I love the theatrical vibe it gives. The third is interesting because it's such a weird landscape.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Tableau vivant is the style where everybody is in the middle of an action (usually exaggerated) and everybody is dramatically/theatrically lit.

It may not be the best example, but I always think of The Last Supper. If you look at that, everyone is gesturing wildly and is in the middle of moving.

Personally I think the Pit Stop image reminds me of a medical theater, where they have onlookers at the top watching the surgeons below. In that regard I think it's kind of cool, but I don't see the love for the Rhine photo.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Can't believe Rhine II sold for $4.3 million.

I'm sure he put a ton of work into it, but it looks like something anyone with a DSLR can go out and shoot.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

wizard sticks posted:

I'm sure he put a ton of work into it, but it looks like something anyone with a DSLR can go out and shoot.

This is not a very good argument as to why that picture is not worth 4.3 mil.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

wizard sticks posted:

Effort is a horrible baseline for a value system. Cy Twombly heard a lot of "but my kids could do that!" too. They didn't though.

A rubric of "anyone with X can do Y" undermines everything, ever and nothing you, I or anyone else here would ever create could survive it.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

This is not a very good argument as to why that picture is not worth 4.3 mil.

I see where he is driving at, it looks like a unedited nikon RAW file when you have hit zero on everything in lightroom. I know he shopped out a few things to make it cleaner but as the sky is cloudy and dull I can't see how much more there would be to do.

I suspect this price tag is for the invisible silk and pixie thread to be honest as it's a rather dull picture even by modern art standards when you actually study it, it's as about as innovative and creative as a brand new modern flavour of pepsi.

Medusula fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 10, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My value system for art is to answer the "would I want it to hang on my wall" question. The Rhine photo, the answer is no. It's boring and doesn't make me think at all. The F1 is more interesting and I wouldn't mind hanging it.

Final dollar figure is a function of how many people decide they want to hang the image on their wall.

By this metric, lots of people have terrible taste and want to hang boring pictures of rivers in their home.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
You really can't judge the price without seeing the print. We are seeing a small jpg on a computer screen. Seeing something in person in it's intended size changes a person's perspective. The image (per wikipedia) is 73 by 143 inches, not quite something you can shoot with a DSLR. The subject may have been a bit more personal to the buying audience as well.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Civil War photos on the Atlantic. A few are :nms:.

The Places

The People

Stereographs

Most of it is from the LOC.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How would that F1 pic have been lit? I absolutely love it personally and would like to try something similar myself this year if it can be done with a bunch of 430s and 580s.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

I gotta say, seeing Rhine II in person, in big and fancy print - I was converted. There is just something about it. The big flat green nothing. It is to me, really intriguing. Like his other pictures, I wanna explore it, but it is quite a hard task, as there is nothing to see. Only a orange thing and a stair that leads to nothing.

But his pictures really is waaay better in big print. They are often very very detailed, and that is what is interesting to me. Except Rhine II, that one I just love for some reason - maybe it is the empty peacefulness.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Effort is a horrible baseline for a value system. Cy Twombly heard a lot of "but my kids could do that!" too. They didn't though.

A rubric of "anyone with X can do Y" undermines everything, ever and nothing you, I or anyone else here would ever create could survive it.

You are absolutely right. I didn't convey what I meant well enough. I should have said that it is something which I don't find particularly interesting enough to shell out that much money. That being said, as someone else just mentioned, someone did feel that way, which makes it "worth it".

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

A5H posted:

How would that F1 pic have been lit? I absolutely love it personally and would like to try something similar myself this year if it can be done with a bunch of 430s and 580s.

We had a guide on, that told that every complete Formula 1 picture consists of several 100 pictures, taken all over the world. Apparently all the pit stops are similar, same architect, so that the drivers always know how they look. Not sure how it looks, but it is a huuuge collage! Pretty much every detailed is super controlled, stitched in and most likely really altered in post process.

Looks awesome still! And on the c-prints the colors are just much much more vivid. It is really insane.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

East Lake posted:

Is it just me, or is something insane going on with the DOF here? It's like there's a circle of in-focus area around the soldiers and as you get towards the edge it blurs out. Is this darkroom trickery?

I love the contrasty look to it too.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
Would have something to a large format camera and crappy lens optics in those days?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

LAchristus posted:

We had a guide on, that told that every complete Formula 1 picture consists of several 100 pictures, taken all over the world. Apparently all the pit stops are similar, same architect, so that the drivers always know how they look. Not sure how it looks, but it is a huuuge collage! Pretty much every detailed is super controlled, stitched in and most likely really altered in post process.

Looks awesome still! And on the c-prints the colors are just much much more vivid. It is really insane.

But where are the lights!!?

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

A5H posted:

But where are the lights!!?

Frustrating - I know! Was thinking the same when I saw it! My guess is, it could be daylight mixed with calibrated HMI. I've seen him, in a documentary, mix daylight with HMI. But it is only a guess.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

xzzy posted:

Is it just me, or is something insane going on with the DOF here? It's like there's a circle of in-focus area around the soldiers and as you get towards the edge it blurs out. Is this darkroom trickery?

I love the contrasty look to it too.

Could be shot using a Petzval lens?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Bobsledboy posted:

Could be shot using a Petzval lens?

It's likely just from being shot on an 8x10 negative, creating some really wild DOF effects.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hotwax Residue posted:

Would have something to a large format camera and crappy lens optics in those days?

I bet someone could make themselves a decent living creating "period" lenses these days. They make some really neat effects.

I guess most of it can be done in software now, but there's something juicy about doing it in the camera.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
This guy's wife let him photoshop their engagement photos:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Run, the empire is breaking our tables with AT-AT walkers and they are pink.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
It looks like it was a wide-angle shot by itself, and putting it in the distant background makes the overall perspective pretty wonky; like it's about to fall over or its legs are different lengths. It's a pity.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Arguing about the auction value of a piece of work is always kinda silly. Auction prices don't directly reflect cultural value. Why did Rhine II go for $4.3 million? Because someone with $4.3 million didn't want anyone else to own it. Gursky's got pieces in some pretty big museums and his work's been steadily fetching more and more money at major auctions, that tends to make bidders a lot more aggressive. It's certainly still art, but art wrapped up as a luxury commodity.

I've been a runner at some art auctions before. It's a pretty weird feeling to stand there on stage holding up canvasses I've recognized from my art history textbooks while old rich jerks get into bidding wars over them. Oh boy! I'm holding something worth $250,000 and getting ten bucks an hour to babysit it!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Athens in Flames

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/02/athens-in-flames/100244/

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

South African photographer Roger Ballen hooked up with Die Antwoord to direct one of their videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uee_mcxvrw

It's awesome to see his distinctive style in motion.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
My Sentimental Archives by Nicolas Dhervillers is an amazing series. I'm in love with it. He took archive photos from a local council in Sion, Switzerland which contained old residents of the place (as in 1840's old) and then incorporated them into his modern photographs of the place.

It's utterly gorgeous, have a look.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

wrong thread, sorry!

AceClown fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 15, 2012

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
yowayowa camera woman diary

Tokyo photographer shoots levitating people (mostly self-portraits), and has two cats.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 15, 2012

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

DanTheFryingPan posted:

yowayowa camera woman diary

Tokyo photographer shoots levitating people (mostly self-portraits), and has two cats.

That is pretty cool actually. Japs are weird that way I guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I don't know the photographer, but I was quite taken aback by this.

• Locked thread