Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Factor Mystic posted:

A screenshot utility I wrote quite awhile ago that I'm in the midst of cleaning up and productizing.

Do you have a hotkey and multiple screenshot functionality? The one thing that would make me use a screenshot program rather than Alt+Print Screen is the ability to take multiple without having to paste into a graphics program before they get lost from the clipboard. Though the upload to imgur is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

gwar3k1 posted:

Do you have a hotkey and multiple screenshot functionality? The one thing that would make me use a screenshot program rather than Alt+Print Screen is the ability to take multiple without having to paste into a graphics program before they get lost from the clipboard. Though the upload to imgur is neat.

This would be great. And a little browser with thumbnails that allows selection of the previously captured shots to put into the clipboard.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

poemdexter posted:

Doesn't ctrl alt print screen do the same thing?

Oh the screenshot to imgur thing is amazing.
The utility is taking a screenshot on a transparent background with a shadow. Look at the titlebars. Factor's util has a semi-transparent titlebar with nothing behind it, the standard method shows the programs below it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

poemdexter posted:

The utility is taking a screenshot on a transparent background with a shadow. Look at the titlebars. Factor's util has a semi-transparent titlebar with nothing behind it, the standard method shows the programs below it.

Right... I glossed over a bit there, but the default configuration is to create screenshots with opaque Aero glass, rounded alpha channeled corners, and Aero window shadows.

The edit button has a menu to toggle that stuff (except opacity, that's part of the shortcut key config, since it has to happen at the time the image is captured. The rounding and shadowing are automatic post process steps).

Also, it's not just upload to Imgur only, it's just that they have an accessible API to get things testing. In the options configuration you can set up any image upload service that accepts uploads via HTTP POST. Authenticated Imgur (like, uploading only to your own account and not the public service) requires OAuth which I haven't written yet. Your own FTP is also on my todo list.

The upload button has a similar menu as the edit button, to retrieve a link for a previously uploaded image, and also the delete link. Currently you supply how those are retrieved from the upload service response via XPath, but that's the way it is mostly because that's how Imgur works, so probably some more work to be done to make that more generic.

taqueso posted:

This would be great. And a little browser with thumbnails that allows selection of the previously captured shots to put into the clipboard.

Yep, the little preview window also allows you to view the other screenshots you've taken, that's the little left/right arrow buttons on the right. The button on the left is the 'heart' action, just a quick way to tag a screenshot as useful. If you're doing a batch of documentation screenshots you're going to be taking a lot and sometimes it's useful just to tag the good on and keep moving. Also, the history is available via the tray icon context menu.

All that demonstrated in this video of a slightly earlier version, but that functionality hasn't changed much since I made this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAqXPLLoj-w

One of the things I personally like about this utility is how you can set up your own shortcut keys to kick off action chains.

My out of box configuration has 'Print Screen' bound to an action chain that takes an opaque screenshot, applies rounding and shadowing, then pops up the preview window. There's about a dozen predefined actions (including Save, Run external program, etc) that you can compose together with your own shortcut keys if you want, but you don't have to. The default config should be fine for a lot of people.

Also you can drag and drop the screenshot from the preview window into a folder somewhere or your browser to upload yourself, or an email or something.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 11, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I tend to use ZScreen, which is, admittedly, a little too fancy, but it takes high-quality screenshots (shadows and no "behind windows" thing) and automatically uploads them to imgur or saves them to a file or 20 other things.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

poemdexter posted:

Nope, control + alt + printscreen doesn't keep the shadows and pretty much just snaps a normal rect with the window boundaries. Ie it looks horrible.

Also I use a program called Puush a lot which does almost the same thing, but it's best used for regions of the screens not windows.

It can take current window, desktop, area (click and dragged), upload the clipboard, AND upload files, all with the hotkeys Ctrl + Shft + 1-5.

Super useful program for sharing quick links since it automatically uploads them and puts the link in the clipboard. Seems yours is gonna be best for small windows though, which is good. Also the fact it uploads to imgur instead your own server is much nicer than having to reupload images to imgur when I want to post them.

Edit: Woah I missed a page whoops.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 12, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, I tend to use ZScreen, which is, admittedly, a little too fancy, but it takes high-quality screenshots (shadows and no "behind windows" thing) and automatically uploads them to imgur or saves them to a file or 20 other things.

I used ZScreen and just switched to their simpler ZUploader the other day. It's quite powerful and amazing. Like you say you can upload to a ton of services (including FTP) and it also does right-click uploading on graphic or whatever kind of files in Explorer.

Anyway...

Toekutr
Dec 9, 2008

A screenshot of my first game ever! an in-progress roguelike written in Common Lisp

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

SlightlyMadman & Jonnty:
Thanks guys!

HolaMundo:
No blog, sadly. I've certainly considered it, but there are so many ray tracing blogs out there already and I don't really think the world needs another.

wellwhoopdedooo:
The thought of selling my ray tracer has crossed my mind many times, but I'm not sure there's really room for another physically accurate renderer that takes ten hours per image. I'm not sure Blender would be the program to target in any case as it's a constantly moving target. Reading the Luxrender and Yafaray forums, it seems like it's quite a challenge to keep compatibility between various versions.

Likewise, integrating too tightly with any particular modeller would basically just anchor you to the fortunes of a single program out of your control.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Did more playing around with software audio synthesis, and now I have a spiffy little demo app that plays the first few bars of the Cave Story theme song and allows you to choose between three oscillators for each voice:

source. (forth)

The main things I learned are that echo is brain-dead easy and that drawing an oscilloscope view on my VM is about four times as expensive as generating the audio. I still don't know jack about music.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

mintskoal posted:

Any of you guys can go to https://unsubscribr.com/ and try it out. If you want to use the full version, just do the sign up and use the code "sagoon" (without quotes) and it will enable all of the jazz for free.

Thanks to all you guys who've used it before. I ended up rewriting the scan engine based on some of the performance data I collected during testing and it's much, much more stable now. However, all user accounts were reset. Sorry about that.

Note: I hate this, but I added support for Yahoo mail but it uses basic authentication. I wish Yahoo/Hotmail/everyone supported OAuth over IMAP.

I'm trying this with my old yahoo email address and either I get 2000 spam emails in 5 days or it's checking way beyond the day limit. Didn't sign up for the full version or anything either.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

ZombieApostate posted:

I'm trying this with my old yahoo email address and either I get 2000 spam emails in 5 days or it's checking way beyond the day limit. Didn't sign up for the full version or anything either.

Interesting. I am going to need to see if Yahoo is respecting search parameters. Thanks for the info!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Factor Mystic posted:

A screenshot utility I wrote quite awhile ago that I'm in the midst of cleaning up and productizing.

(Screenshot of the application... taken with the application... Inception joke, anyone?)

Placement on the desktop for some reference:

The goal is a simple, compact interface that creates documentation quality screenshots that look like this:

...instead of this (which is all too typical on blogs and forums these days):

I've got quite a few features already written, mostly what's left is polish and to move some hardcoded things into the Options window.

Here's a video of me demonstrating how you'd use the 1-click upload feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA6JNs5f9Iw

This looks really good -- hopefully you get it out there. :)

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Python roguelike engine I've been working on for a while. Finally reached the point where I can maybe show it off and not feel ashamed. Things that I've not yet worked on, so ignore their placeholder implementations: entity/map generation, entity naming, more complicated parsing and phrasing for stuff like examining a tile and listing the entities there.

Not far along at all, but don't see any harm in posting a screenshot.

e: Forgot the link.

Red Mike fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 14, 2012

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
This might be a really dumb question but can the font be changed without making the (presumably text) map look like crap?

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

This might be a really dumb question but can the font be changed without making the (presumably text) map look like crap?

Yes. Here's a picture with a second testing font I use.

Linked because the font is humongous and makes the picture huge.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Check out this tool I made that sorts a list by asking the user to decide comparisons. It's one of those things I've been meaning to hack together forever, but somehow I managed to get off my rear end and build this one. :cheers:

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!
Built myself a music reference tool that can show any scale, arpeggio, chord, or chord progression, in any key, on a fretboard, keyboard or musical staff.

Built using a shitload of javascript. It's cool as gently caress and uses only pure music theory maths to build everything. It's all based off the cicrcle of fifths and key signature pattern deviations to work everything out.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Clavius posted:

Built myself a music reference tool that can show any scale, arpeggio, chord, or chord progression, in any key, on a fretboard, keyboard or musical staff.

Built using a shitload of javascript. It's cool as gently caress and uses only pure music theory maths to build everything. It's all based off the cicrcle of fifths and key signature pattern deviations to work everything out.

I love you forever. This is super clean and super nice.

Edit: I wonder if in the future you could attempt to set up some form of system that plays separate piano together to achieve the sound of the chord currently on the screen. It'd only need as many sound files as there are notes, ie not many. Then again there's guitar too, plus coding it might be a bit difficult. But seriously, if you added that it'd be the actual best site on the internet in regard to these kinds of tools.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 15, 2012

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Clavius posted:

It's cool as gently caress

That's a fair assessment. I like how responsive it feels compared to other sites I've used in the past.

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!

Jewel posted:

I love you forever. This is super clean and super nice.

Edit: I wonder if in the future you could attempt to set up some form of system that plays separate piano together to achieve the sound of the chord currently on the screen. It'd only need as many sound files as there are notes, ie not many. Then again there's guitar too, plus coding it might be a bit difficult. But seriously, if you added that it'd be the actual best site on the internet in regard to these kinds of tools.

That's my next plan if I see interest in the thing. It's not something I'd personally need so it's not there yet, but it's doable. HTML5 audio tags can handle all that no problems, guitar and all. I'd need to make some adjustments to my note object handling to support octaves but I've built it in such a way that it wouldn't be huge.

From there it's not a far cry to a full on staff sequencer actually... Hmm.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Clavius posted:

Great stuff!

On top of the other feature requests, how about the functionality to "capture" a diagram (either the generation parameters or rendering it to a canvas image), and then have a page tiling all your captured chords/scales/etc.

That'd make this an uber tool for bands, teachers and students who have a need to print out lead sheets, scale/chord/key references, etc.

Also, RESTful URLs for easy sharing, please. (i.e. http://musicvocab.com/kb/scale/c/major/1)

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!

ynohtna posted:

Great stuff!

On top of the other feature requests, how about the functionality to "capture" a diagram (either the generation parameters or rendering it to a canvas image), and then have a page tiling all your captured chords/scales/etc.

That'd make this an uber tool for bands, teachers and students who have a need to print out lead sheets, scale/chord/key references, etc.

Also, RESTful URLs for easy sharing, please. (i.e. http://musicvocab.com/kb/scale/c/major/1)

Pretty cool idea. Could be done, I'll have a think about an interface for it. The URLs do have a preset thing going, eg: http://musicvocab.com/notation/bflat/persian/scale/ but it's mostly for SEO and not really set up for sharing. If I go ahead and make instanced diagrams it'll probably need something a bit more compact to share a full setup anyway. Definitely a good plan though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Clavius posted:

Do you know about VexFlow?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Clavius posted:

Shouldn't the notes change when I toggle from Treble to Bass Clef when viewing via notation? Either the text describing the notes or the position of the notes on the staff should change, right?

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!

ufarn posted:

Did not know about that, nifty stuff.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Shouldn't the notes change when I toggle from Treble to Bass Clef when viewing via notation? Either the text describing the notes or the position of the notes on the staff should change, right?

Missed that when I redid that part recently, fixed now, thanks. :)
The lines above and below the staff aren't perfect now though, the check is a bit on the simplistic side and only knows how to put lines on properly with the treble clef variations. Have to rethink that a bit.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Xom posted:

Check out this tool I made that sorts a list by asking the user to decide comparisons. It's one of those things I've been meaning to hack together forever, but somehow I managed to get off my rear end and build this one. :cheers:

Fun little idea. Would be made better by being able to link people to both quizzes and results - you wouldn't even necessarily need to store anything.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Clavius posted:

Could you have scale notes colored by their sequence number on the fretboard/keyboard display?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Modern Pragmatist posted:

In the notation mode, the bass clef and alto clef just seem to be completely broken. Right now if you ask for a C major chord in bass clef it gives you G-B-D, and in alto clef it gives you E-G-B. Oddly enough, key signatures in those clefs seem to be correct, so I'm not sure why the actual notes are moving to the wrong places. It's particularly obvious in scale mode, like Cmaj scale in key of Gmaj, where you can see that the natural accidental lines up with the sharp in the key signature in treble clef, but doesn't line up in alto or bass clefs.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Jonnty posted:

Fun little idea. Would be made better by being able to link people to both quizzes and results - you wouldn't even necessarily need to store anything.
I'm glad you like it!

I like your suggestion so I thought about how to do it.

First I thought about putting everything in the query string, which can accommodate up to 2000 characters. I estimate that sorting over 100 items (~600 comparisons) would be lunacy, but if 100 items each contain a bunch of HTML (go to the tool and click example twice to see what I mean), 2000 characters still might not be enough. Then I looked at using POST headers, which definitely accommodate enough data, but that would make it hard for J. Random Goon to link his custom quiz in a forum post.

Now it seems to me that 2000 characters is almost enough, so my current idea is to compress the contents of the query string. And since we have an extremely good idea of what the data looks like, I'm considering rolling my own compression to work like thus:

The boundaries between recurring and non-recurring substrings will probably be delimited by <, >, =, ", /, and maybe . and/or other stuff like that. So we split the input by those delimiters, and the resulting substrings will compose our dictionary. The remaining information might resemble this:
code:
<a="b//c/d"></e><f>g
<a="b//c/h"></e><f>i
<a="b//c/j"></e><f>k
<a="b//c/l"></e><f>m
<a="b//c/n"></e><f>o
<a="b//c/p"></e><f>q
<a="b//c/r"></e><f>s
<a="b//c/t"></e><f>u
<a="b//c/v"></e><f>w
<a="b//c/x"></e><f>y
Which should be easy to finish compressing.
And if some loon wants to sort over 100 items, they can bloody well heed a few words of advice about playing nice with the compression.

So before I start:
  1. Is there an alternative overall approach that I should consider?
  2. Am I crazy for rolling my own compression method?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Xom posted:

So before I start:

I feel like you might be a little crazy for trying to roll your own compression. However, because you would have to encode the output of a standard compression algorithm to work as part of a URL, e.g. base64, there might be some room for improvement. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was an algorithm designed for just this situation. My plan would be to make it work with standard tools just to get it done, and if the result isn't acceptable you can always try to do better.

I also wanted to say I like your examples, even though most of them have killed me.

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!

ShoulderDaemon posted:

In the notation mode, the bass clef and alto clef just seem to be completely broken. Right now if you ask for a C major chord in bass clef it gives you G-B-D, and in alto clef it gives you E-G-B. Oddly enough, key signatures in those clefs seem to be correct, so I'm not sure why the actual notes are moving to the wrong places. It's particularly obvious in scale mode, like Cmaj scale in key of Gmaj, where you can see that the natural accidental lines up with the sharp in the key signature in treble clef, but doesn't line up in alto or bass clefs.

Haha oh poo poo you're right, I sent my clef offsets in the wrong direction, i'll fix it in the morning.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

ufarn posted:

Holy crap this is cool. I'm developing a tablature editor, definitely going to be adding support for exporting to vextab.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

ufarn posted:

This is actually really cool. If there were some way to export from Finale or Sibelius it would be amazing, though it looks as though there is a long way to go before it gets powerful enough to represent the same kind of stuff that those editors can.

Toper Hollyphant
Jul 31, 2010

Red Mike posted:

Python roguelike engine I've been working on for a while. Finally reached the point where I can maybe show it off and not feel ashamed. Things that I've not yet worked on, so ignore their placeholder implementations: entity/map generation, entity naming, more complicated parsing and phrasing for stuff like examining a tile and listing the entities there.

Not far along at all, but don't see any harm in posting a screenshot.

e: Forgot the link.

I have a thing for roguelike engines, looks great. (Though the main reason might be the complementary colors you're using :) ) I've been wondering if I should free some time to learn to use SDL as well.

btw, I also love the menu items :
app.add_choice_menu(("Main menu: ",), ("Start Game", "Quit", "Recursion.", "Anti-recursion."), menu_callback)

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Toper Hollyphant posted:

I have a thing for roguelike engines, looks great. (Though the main reason might be the complementary colors you're using :) ) I've been wondering if I should free some time to learn to use SDL as well.

btw, I also love the menu items :
app.add_choice_menu(("Main menu: ",), ("Start Game", "Quit", "Recursion.", "Anti-recursion."), menu_callback)

Thanks!

I should note that I'm not using SDL myself, rather wrapping a library, libtcod, that does the behind-the-scenes work for me, however I'm planning to use SDL calls soon for adding a way of rendering custom graphics onto the screen, since the library makes direct access easy!

Probably the first thing I might add is curved or jagged edges to tile backgrounds, which I rarely see done, but brings a lot of character to the graphics.

Toper Hollyphant
Jul 31, 2010

Red Mike posted:

Thanks!

I should note that I'm not using SDL myself, rather wrapping a library, libtcod, that does the behind-the-scenes work for me, however I'm planning to use SDL calls soon for adding a way of rendering custom graphics onto the screen, since the library makes direct access easy!

Probably the first thing I might add is curved or jagged edges to tile backgrounds, which I rarely see done, but brings a lot of character to the graphics.

I usually dislike almost all non-ascii graphics for roguelike games (ADOM still has pretty much the best roguelike graphics that I've ever seen) but recently I've seen multiple games that actually manage to add some extra value by creating minimalistic but unique visuals with SDL. The Slimy Lichmummy is a great example of that.

So.. what I'm probably trying to say is: great work so far and remember to not go too fancy with the graphics ;)

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Toper Hollyphant posted:

I usually dislike almost all non-ascii graphics for roguelike games (ADOM still has pretty much the best roguelike graphics that I've ever seen) but recently I've seen multiple games that actually manage to add some extra value by creating minimalistic but unique visuals with SDL. The Slimy Lichmummy is a great example of that.

So.. what I'm probably trying to say is: great work so far and remember to not go too fancy with the graphics ;)

That does look nice.

Keep in mind this is an engine, rather than a game, so it'll generally be possible to activate/deactivate advanced graphics feature as wanted or needed. I will most likely have some way of binding actual game tile characters to images/animations, so you could replace tiles with whatever you fancy, while easily being able to revert to ASCII, even as an ingame option.

Thanks for the kind words and advice.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Xom posted:

I'm glad you like it!

I like your suggestion so I thought about how to do it.

First I thought about putting everything in the query string, which can accommodate up to 2000 characters. I estimate that sorting over 100 items (~600 comparisons) would be lunacy, but if 100 items each contain a bunch of HTML (go to the tool and click example twice to see what I mean), 2000 characters still might not be enough. Then I looked at using POST headers, which definitely accommodate enough data, but that would make it hard for J. Random Goon to link his custom quiz in a forum post.

Now it seems to me that 2000 characters is almost enough, so my current idea is to compress the contents of the query string. And since we have an extremely good idea of what the data looks like, I'm considering rolling my own compression to work like thus:

The boundaries between recurring and non-recurring substrings will probably be delimited by <, >, =, ", /, and maybe . and/or other stuff like that. So we split the input by those delimiters, and the resulting substrings will compose our dictionary. The remaining information might resemble this:
code:
<a="b//c/d"></e><f>g
<a="b//c/h"></e><f>i
<a="b//c/j"></e><f>k
<a="b//c/l"></e><f>m
<a="b//c/n"></e><f>o
<a="b//c/p"></e><f>q
<a="b//c/r"></e><f>s
<a="b//c/t"></e><f>u
<a="b//c/v"></e><f>w
<a="b//c/x"></e><f>y
Which should be easy to finish compressing.
And if some loon wants to sort over 100 items, they can bloody well heed a few words of advice about playing nice with the compression.

So before I start:

I don't know whether it's a good idea or not - though it certainly sounds like you've thought it out well and this is a situation where roll-your-own compression might be a good idea - but I'm sure it'd be good fun. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

A little node.js application that can broadcast arbitrary video4linux devices to the Internet. It's basically a low-overhead proxy to ffserver which does all of the encoding grunt work. I did it half because I needed a way to broadcast v4l devices in a way any moron could set up, and half as resumé fodder.

It handles all of the hard work of getting a working ffmpeg/ffserver pair running, all the user needs to do is specify which video devices to use and a resolution and frame rate for each. I suppose in the future I could make device discovery automatic and/or interactive.

I've found that ffmpeg can chew up a lot of CPU cycles very quickly if the image quality is not tightly controlled, however the poor quality of that screenshot is not because of the encoding but is entirely due to my crappy test camera and choice of subject :v:

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 19, 2012