Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Why would you ever not get the maxx.

The maxx doesn't come in PURPLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rastor posted:

If people pick their phones based on things like Words With Friends and other such nonsense then I don't think it's to far outside the realm to think they would pick a phone based on it's color.

People are....special.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
So the Droid 4 isn't a world phone, since apparently Verizon locks down GSM capabilities of their 4G LTE devices. Pissed me off when I found out as I need my phone to work outside the US, was looking to upgrade from my Droid 2 Global and would much rather have a physical keyboard.

I guess my only options at this point are wait for the Droid 5 and hope VZW doesn't do the same or suck it up and get a Galaxy Nexus.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Did anyone else get an OTA software update last night?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Slacker Ace posted:

So the Droid 4 isn't a world phone, since apparently Verizon locks down GSM capabilities of their 4G LTE devices. Pissed me off when I found out as I need my phone to work outside the US, was looking to upgrade from my Droid 2 Global and would much rather have a physical keyboard.

I guess my only options at this point are wait for the Droid 5 and hope VZW doesn't do the same or suck it up and get a Galaxy Nexus.

It's not a world phone yet. They have stated that the ability will be unlocked in a future update.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/verizon-to-enable-global-roaming-for-lg-spectrum-and-droid-4/

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Should I have to worry about relocking/wiping my G'Nex if I'm going into to a VZW store to see about getting a replacement SIM?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Codiusprime posted:

If people pick their phones based on things like Words With Friends and other such nonsense then I don't think it's to far outside the realm to think they would pick a phone based on it's color.

People are....special.

Color/look > Functions for 85% of general customers.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

bull3964 posted:

It's not a world phone yet. They have stated that the ability will be unlocked in a future update.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/verizon-to-enable-global-roaming-for-lg-spectrum-and-droid-4/

The question is now is if the phone can be unlocked and accept a third-party GSM SIM card. Sounds like no one knows just yet, and this is a feature that the big carriers don't exactly advertise.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

JayKay posted:

Should I have to worry about relocking/wiping my G'Nex if I'm going into to a VZW store to see about getting a replacement SIM?

No, Just hide superuser and poo poo and ask for a new sim. They shouldnt even need to touch the thing if you have it ready. "poo poo forgot it in my desk, yeah just activate it ill get it setup later, thanks" should about do it.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Rastor posted:

The purple one is also $100 cheaper, but maybe that doesn't matter if you're buying one Maxx and getting the second free.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Ghostnuke posted:

If you mean the razr one, I did but it keeps failing on install. My wife's stock phone is fine, but my rooted one fails.

I unfroze all apps, but I think it might be the Skype beta. But the last ota installed just fine with it

I'm debating going back to stock but I really don't feel like reinstalling everything

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codiusprime posted:

People are....special.

Look, if I bought something called a Maxx, it had better damned be purple with maybe some yellow.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Look, if I bought something called a Maxx, it had better damned be purple with maybe some yellow.

Some racing stripes maybe...

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

FYI, if you did get this update you'll have to turn data back on in your settings. I couldn't get data for hours until I noticed that the update turned it off. WTF.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Costco has the GNex for $219 with their free accessory kit and a mail in rebate for a free extended battery. Nice phone so far!

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:
Chiming in to say that I've been rolling with a RAZR Maxx for about a week now and it's amazing. No hitches at all when moving through the OS. I stuck launcherpro on it because the stock layout wasn't to my liking, but it wasn't terrible either. Some cool animations when switching homescreens on the stock launcher....like a lightbulb swinging on a chain or something. Battery life is ridiculous, and it comes with a moto application called Smart Actions which is like an idiot-proof (and very functional) version of Tasker. I set it up to disable cellular data when connected to my home or work wifi. I typically get home from work with 80% battery remaining, and go to bed with 70%...insane. Without the cellular data disabled it would still easily last all day, but I'd be going to bed with 20-30% remaining. Call quality is perfect. Camera is functional but not good, but also not something I care about.

(upgraded from a Droid 2 which I also thought was a great phone, just a tad slow at certain tasks)

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

heldicus posted:

Chiming in to say that I've been rolling with a RAZR Maxx for about a week now and it's amazing. No hitches at all when moving through the OS. I stuck launcherpro on it because the stock layout wasn't to my liking, but it wasn't terrible either. Some cool animations when switching homescreens on the stock launcher....like a lightbulb swinging on a chain or something. Battery life is ridiculous, and it comes with a moto application called Smart Actions which is like an idiot-proof (and very functional) version of Tasker. I set it up to disable cellular data when connected to my home or work wifi. I typically get home from work with 80% battery remaining, and go to bed with 70%...insane. Without the cellular data disabled it would still easily last all day, but I'd be going to bed with 20-30% remaining. Call quality is perfect. Camera is functional but not good, but also not something I care about.

(upgraded from a Droid 2 which I also thought was a great phone, just a tad slow at certain tasks)

I've had the same experience, right down to the smart actions settings. Some days I get home and my battery meter still shows full.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Im so bummed that I missed out on getting the droid 4, had to get a new phone in dec when my computer broke so Im stuck with this bionic. Oh well, grass is always greener.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
If anyone wants these, I bought an Extended Battery and Diztronic case for the Galaxy Nexus that I no longer need. I'll sell them both to one of you goons at cost+shipping, so $45 for both. (The battery goes for $50 retail, but I got this one when it was 50% off). Anyone interested?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So my phone went through the wash, and I had to get a new phone. Aren't the apps you download supposed to be attached to your google account? Do they only keep track of paid apps and not free? If I go the market website, a small number of the (free) apps I downloaded are there, so they do keep track of some of them... Am I SOL?

edit: Also, is there any way to get the droid 4 to default to using the external sd card as the internal /mnt/sdcard point? All of the apps are looking to the internal storage for stuff, when everything is on the sd card.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 12, 2012

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

So my phone went through the wash, and I had to get a new phone. Aren't the apps you download supposed to be attached to your google account? Do they only keep track of paid apps and not free? If I go the market website, a small number of the (free) apps I downloaded are there, so they do keep track of some of them... Am I SOL?

Free apps aren't always tracked, but they're free, so just re-download them. Unless you have hundreds of apps installed and can't even remember what they all are, in which case why do you have so drat many apps?

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
Does Verizon hate world phones? I've been looking to upgrade my Droid Incredible 2 since I do travel almost every summer to countries without CDMA, but it seems like they really don't want a phone with a GSM radio to actually use it. I was initially planning to upgrade to Razr when I heard it had one, but apparently the GSM it has is locked/disabled. I was now looking forward to Droid 4 only to hear that poo poo's been disabled as well.

The gently caress Verizon, why not a 4G global ready phone?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Droid 4 is getting an update in the future that will unlock that functionality. Patience.

(Source)

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
That definitely assuages my fears after being told by Verizon store rep today that the Droid 4 was not a world phone. Thanks for the info.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Kyrosiris posted:

The Droid 4 is getting an update in the future that will unlock that functionality. Patience.

(Source)

Since when have we gone back to using "they promised it!" as advice? Every post that says "they promised a feature" should also have a massive addendum that says "they promise a lot of things that never actually happen". Sup 2011 Motorola promising unlocked bootloaders. Not trying to start an argument, but I want TPNMVZ to understand that promises from android manufacturers are literally worthless. Maybe it'll get world capabilities, maybe it won't, who knows!

Do not buy a phone on what you've been told it will have, buy a phone for the features it has currently. If it wasn't important enough to meet the launch specsheet, do you REALLY think they give a gently caress about some half-assed promise to a very specific and miniscule customer base? They're already planning the Droid 4 HD MAXX, they don't care about phones they released a month ago.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Since when have we gone back to using "they promised it!" as advice? Every post that says "they promised a feature" should also have a massive addendum that says "they promise a lot of things that never actually happen". Sup 2011 Motorola promising unlocked bootloaders. Not trying to start an argument, but I want TPNMVZ to understand that promises from android manufacturers are literally worthless. Maybe it'll get world capabilities, maybe it won't, who knows!

Do not buy a phone on what you've been told it will have, buy a phone for the features it has currently. If it wasn't important enough to meet the launch specsheet, do you REALLY think they give a gently caress about some half-assed promise to a very specific and miniscule customer base? They're already planning the Droid 4 HD MAXX, they don't care about phones they released a month ago.

It's a promise from the carrier. Also, there's a difference between an unlocked bootloader and global roaming. The first was promised by Motorola and is something Verizon doesn't like (although they don't seem to stop it like Moto claims). Global roaming, on the other hand, was promised by Verizon. They make the ultimate decision and want you paying an arm and a leg to use their global network.

I agree that you take a chance when you buy on a promised feature that doesn't exist yet. I bought an original Omnia after Verizon promised to unlock the GPS so you didn't have to use Navigator. A year later, when I sold it, I still think they never unlocked it. I'm not sure though because I'd already dumped the version of Windows Mobile it shipped with.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
There is nothing "locked" on the Droid 4 for global use.

There simply aren't things in place on the back end yet such as billing system requirements, roaming agreements and proper procedures that allow it yet.

Besides, this is something they can make a lot of money with, so there is tons of incentive for them to do it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the system in place for the LTE SIM and global roaming capabilities isn't been completely ironed out yet. They will get it done seeing as how they won't be releasing any more 3G only phones in the future and they really do need global roaming phones in their catalog.

WeaselWeaz posted:

I agree that you take a chance when you buy on a promised feature that doesn't exist yet. I bought an original Omnia after Verizon promised to unlock the GPS so you didn't have to use Navigator. A year later, when I sold it, I still think they never unlocked it. I'm not sure though because I'd already dumped the version of Windows Mobile it shipped with.

That's not true, they unlocked it in 2009 (I can't remember when exactly.) I got an Omnia in Feb of 2009 and I was using google maps to navigate to places all that summer. I stopped using it by November though because Verizon punted me an early upgrade out of the blue and I got an OG Droid.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 12, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Kyrosiris posted:

All I need now is a root solution so I can change the font to Roboto and reinstall SetCPU and all that jazz.

It's available now. Earlier this weekend, the guy who found it was being an rear end in a top hat and holding it for a $500 ransom. But it's been released now.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
There's actually a pretty informative post about the Droid 4 roaming stuff on FlyerTalk. I'll c/p it here for you nerds.

Some Jerk on Flyertalk posted:

Here's the problem simplified:
VZW's strategy from the BEGINNING was to migrate their CDMA2000 network to a CDMA2000+LTE+GSM hybrid network. That process is now done in the top 100 US markets and everywhere else where there is VZW 4G LTE coverage.

That was stage one. Stage two is using VZW's native LTE network which is a full GSM 3GPP R8 core network with the latest/newest technology in the world with international roaming using DIRECT ROAMING onto the VZW 4G LTE GSM SIM & CDMA2k network with CSIM (LTE, UMTS, GSM, CDMA2000) without going through a faux Vodafone SIM card.

This will be happening with a software update in the next few months and yes Droid 4 + LG Spectrum will have it with the links or any other future LTE phone with the GSM radios on VZW. This is the back-end network upgrade VZW is talking about. Interfacing their domestic US GSM/4G LTE network with their international GSM roaming partners.

Now if you want to really get technical:

EVERY single VZW LTE phone in the US uses the GSM method of authentication of a UICC (USIM-UMTS/UICC-LTE SIM (IMS) with the ICCID onto VZW's native US LTE/GSM network) and a CSIM onto their legacy 1X/EVDO network. There is a CSIM profile for the CDMA2000 network and a USIM/IMS profile for the VZW GSM 4G LTE network. Thereby VZW implemented GSM aspects of CDMA and yes you can swap any SIM card in-between any 4G device on VZW's network.

A LTE SIM is the same as a GSM SIM in VERY SIMPLE terms just upgraded applications onto it. (CSIM=CDMA SIM card profile onto their 1X/EVDO network, USIM=VZW LTE network card profile and international LTE&UMTS roaming soon, legacy GSM EDGE roaming).

Again the VZW is delivering a GSM network, there were some deep technical things that had to be ironed out (VZW implementing/converting their entire US network to LTE/GSM, etc. GSM VoLTE MAP core voice testing late this year, next year, etc, etc. Google for IEEE and other engineering stuff if you want.)

Check https://www.howardforums.com if you want more info and I have some technical stuff that I read/work with that I can't disclose.

This is the VZW 4G LTE SIM card (also available as microSIM's in VZW stores): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UICC

One VZW 4G SIM card, all the networks in the world!

The really short answer: VZW is implementing the NEWEST GSM technology, NEWER than most countries, only with other LTE deployments (mostly developed countries) in order to gain the latest spectral efficiency due to explosive US mobile broadband demand.

Jake Gittes fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 12, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's available now. Earlier this weekend, the guy who found it was being an rear end in a top hat and holding it for a $500 ransom. But it's been released now.

Yup, I posted pics of Superuser running on mine in the Rooted thread. :)

I'm really happy with it so far - I was worried about the battery, but even with ~3 hours of Game Dev Story and other assorted playing with my phone last night at work, I still made it home with about 20% battery after 10 hours at work. I can live with this. :)

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Mark Larson posted:

If you're on a regular 2GB plan, you should be able to sign up for the double-data deal, right?

How would this work? I just upgraded to a new smartphone, and I can't believe I'll miss the double-data plan by a week or two.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Jake Gittes posted:

There's actually a pretty informative post about the Droid 4 roaming stuff on FlyerTalk. I'll c/p it here for you nerds.

Might want to fix where they put hoardforums and not howardforums. Also rezound (see XDA) and a few other phones people have gotten to work on GSM on tmobile/att.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 12, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

more friedman units posted:

How would this work? I just upgraded to a new smartphone, and I can't believe I'll miss the double-data plan by a week or two.

I know it's XDA, but posters there claim you can easily change your existing 2gb/5gb plan to 4gb/10gb right through the MyVerizon app...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1491533

So, nobody missed it if you signed up during the lull in double data days recently...

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Jake Gittes posted:

Well, yes, LTE is the legitimate successor to HSPA, so yes Verizon is technically implementing a GSM network, but I wouldn't say that they are also planning to implement GSM voice compatibility. They will go VoLTE of course, but I really think the OP is making a bad assumption. It would be a distraction to the real goal, to sunset CDMA in favor for a full VoLTE network.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

A week ago I used my 2 year upgrade to get an 8gig droid with a 2gb plan for $199.99. Now I just saw a commercial for the 16gb droid and a buy one get one free deal on it along with a 4gb plan for 2gb price. My mom would love a droid and its a shared plan so any idea if I can get that deal since it's only been a week? I plan to go in tomorrow to check but I thought I would ask anyways.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Spookmaster posted:

A week ago I used my 2 year upgrade to get an 8gig droid with a 2gb plan for $199.99. Now I just saw a commercial for the 16gb droid and a buy one get one free deal on it along with a 4gb plan for 2gb price. My mom would love a droid and its a shared plan so any idea if I can get that deal since it's only been a week? I plan to go in tomorrow to check but I thought I would ask anyways.
Worst case, it would seem you could return your phone and eat the $35 restock fee (which would reinstate your upgrade eligibility) then use the BOGO deal.

e: assuming your mom's line is also eligible for an upgrade.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 13, 2012

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Worst case, it would seem you could return your phone and eat the $35 restock fee (which would reinstate your upgrade eligibility) then use the BOGO deal.

e: assuming your mom's line is also eligible for an upgrade.

Would it matter if she was eligible or not though since it's a free phone?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Spookmaster posted:

From everything I've heard about past BOGO deals, yes it matters. I don't work for Verizon, though, so I'm not 100% sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

The Spookmaster posted:

Of course it matters. They're not going to just hand you a phone for free. Both lines need to be due for an upgrade.

• Locked thread