Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The art in this manga is so dated.

I just ... that felt like the elephant in the room. It's just loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Nilbop posted:

The art in this manga is so dated.

I just ... that felt like the elephant in the room. It's just loving terrible.

It's really bad in this fight. Compare how Saeki looked against Ippo.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Oh gently caress off Itagaki.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Arise, you puntastic little bastard

coathat
May 21, 2007

I hope he keeps it up and becomes like RJJ or Prince Naseem. That would rule.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm sure Takamura will have something to do with Itagakis next match entrance if he wins this. Something MAD TAUNT

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Urgh... I am actually amused and angry at the same time. I really don't know what to think anymore.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
See, this is really in character for Itagaki and fits his whole development great.

But as a comeback off the retardedly long and boring start, it's just laughable.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's actually a decent turn of events. Problem is it took 5 chapters of race car bullshit to get here

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, I don't know, either.
Chapter 964
http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/51714949/1

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Why do I even bother anymore.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ahahahahahaha. Seriously? Just make Itagaki watch a few good gag shows before a fight and let him loose against Martinez.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011
Yay. My favorite real life boxer was incorporated into this horrible manga in a haphazard way through a character I hate.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
Calling it - Itagaki evolves into the ultimate rear end in a top hat after totally going sick-house on the next few fights until he's ranked number 1. He leaves the gym and challenges Ippo for the belt. He also asks Kumi out on a date and Ippo sees him go for the kiss, but Ippo is too mild mannered and just accepts it like a little bitch. Ippo is outwardly friends and like "it's going to be a good match" (and poo poo) but he injures his fist during training because he is unconsciously pissed off. The match arrives - Ippo starts off strong the first round but Itagaki goes god mode and poo poo and starts taunting him and throwing out magic lefts and moonwalking and generally being a huge dick. Ippo continues to fail horribly at the fight until Itagaki starts saying poo poo about Kumi - then he thinks back to "what is Mananbu-kun's weakness - I don't want to lose..."

So he loving headbutts Itagaki, making it look like he was just trying to go into the dempsey roll - but Itakagi doesn't go down, is just stunned Ippo would do something like that. Then Ippo does the ultimate dempsey roll and ends up breaking his fist and Itagaki's jaw and Itagaki has to retire and is never seen in the manga again. Everyone is so impressed by the motherfucking ultimate dempsey roll that Ippo relinquishes the Japanese title and decides to move up to the world for real.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Calling it- nothing changes the status quo in the foreseeable future because Morikawa doesn't give a gently caress.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
Calling it - This thread continues to be funnier and more exciting than the actual manga of discussion. Even if characters do continue to moonwalk in the middle of boxing matches.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Itagaki's gonna leave the gym and challenge Miyata.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

Lectim posted:

Calling it - This thread continues to be funnier and more exciting than the actual manga of discussion. Even if characters do continue to moonwalk in the middle of boxing matches.

I literally don't even read the manga, but I follow this thread religiously because everyone's disappointment is so humorous.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

James Totes posted:

I literally don't even read the manga, but I follow this thread religiously because everyone's disappointment is so humorous.

You can count on, in any given situation, the absolute *least* worthy boxer to win the match. At least as far as the current few years have gone. This current fight is quite literally "A superior boxer on every single level that is also a better person and more likable and interesting character is beating the living poo poo out of a completely unlikable pun-filled douchebag who can't fight and uses magic plot powers to win, but it doesn't matter because the loser is a 'main character' and will completely ignore the damage and pull off some gimmick that allows him to win, even though there is literally nothing that would make sense for him to win with at this point".

The plus side is that because all of the recent chapters are so generically uninteresting, you can read them in 30 seconds. That's 20 seconds to focus on the interesting character, and 10 seconds to glance over everything else. The manga deserves about that much, because the gags that aren't puns are still funny and there was a time he actually wrote good matches.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

You can count on, in any given situation, the absolute *least* worthy boxer to win the match.

Counterpoint: Any Takamura fight.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Counterpoint: Any Takamura fight.

Countercounterpoint: The last few Takamura fights (where he forgets how to box) have been lovely. His fight with Eagle was like 10 years ago.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/51714949/3

This is the worst drawing of human anatomy I've ever seen in a manga. And I include Toriko in that.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Nilbop posted:

http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/51714949/3

This is the worst drawing of human anatomy I've ever seen in a manga. And I include Toriko in that.

Saeki's face. :stonk:

I actually kinda liked that chapter because of how silly it was (this manga is really only good for gags now, the actual matches are slow, tiresome poo poo), but it's ultimately just turning into loving god mode again.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
loving predictable. Didn't think he would do the comparisons to another boxer. When was the last time he did that? I barely paid attention, last time was Ippo being compared to Tyson (when he was legit)

For this loving smug guy to have him channeling one of the most cocky bastards in real bastards in real boxing almost feels fitting.

Almost.

gently caress Itagaki. gently caress pun smug bastard. :colbert:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I think the last time they referenced real boxers was when they introduced Mashiba with the flicker jab. I may be forgetting some other point.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

I think the last time they referenced real boxers was when they introduced Mashiba with the flicker jab. I may be forgetting some other point.

They reference a lot Japanese boxers that I can't remember and had never heard of and a few other boxers.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They reference a lot Japanese boxers that I can't remember and had never heard of and a few other boxers.

Was Mowgli from the Jungle Book a boxer? It's been a while since I've seen the movie.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I've put up with a lot in this manga. While others have been getting increasingly pissed off at Morikawa I've, for the most part, remained cautiously optimistic.
This is the first time I've actively hated it.

gently caress you, Morikawa.

And gently caress Itagaki.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
hahahaha knew it.

JUST knew it was going to happen. I thought Ippo's fight was bad but this was worse. You know it's bad when you cringe at the explanation of the bullshit why it works.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
New Chapter

Dance Dance Revolution meets National Geographic. Nice.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Well, We all knew he was going to bullshit his way out of this, but I never in a million years thought it would be THIS bad.

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

Itagaki belongs in Naruto and not in a boxing manga

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Duel posted:

I don't think that's really very fair to Naruto...

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Yessss the power of puns conquers all

KoB
May 1, 2009
I wouldnt mind this at all if he had made Itagaki into the underdog gag guy, but to be the underdog gaga guy and also be the fastest person in the world is just poo poo.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This is depressing. When this fight started it was loving baller, the most I've enjoyed this manga in quite a while. Then the last two chapters happened.

Why do you do this to me Morikawa?

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Duel posted:

Only if he fights Sasuke. Two Mary Sues coming into contact with each other would result in an explosion of catastrophic proportions.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Why do you do this to me Morikawa?

I've asked this like every fight since probably chapter 600. Maybe before that.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
As dumb as this fight has been, from the pages of obvious race car metaphors to the moon-walking, I feel like this chapter is really within Itagaki's character. The whole thing about him needing to not think too much of the fight on hand has been seen several times with him getting his rear end handed to him as he listens to the stupid little brain ghosts, until he learns to disregard them and run circles around the next guy. Now with him just thinking about stupid pun stuff he can just get into the flow and teleport or whatever the gently caress. I've been consistently disappointed with HnI recently, but this last chapter has been a pretty good one in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 966